stagetek 17-Sep-14
shade mt 17-Sep-14
Alpinehunter 17-Sep-14
flyingbrass 17-Sep-14
flyingbrass 17-Sep-14
NY Bowman 18-Sep-14
bowriter 18-Sep-14
11-Sep-14
Would you support a "Traditional Archery Only" season in your state? For example, a week or 10 day season after all other seasons have closed?

The purpose of the season would be to bring more attention to hunting with longbows and recurves, and to ultimately increase participation with this style of equipment.

Thank you for your opinions.

11-Sep-14
No

11-Sep-14
Sure why not they do it with muzzle loaders.

11-Sep-14
No

We're already too fragmented. What's next: season for compound, fingers, no sights?

I really do not like crossbows lumped into archery seasons as has become the trend. Not so much worried about their effectiveness, etc. but that it enables a bunch of rifle hunters with no real interest in archery to compete for our bow tags. (FYI I'm all for xbows during rifle season).

But I don't see the need to try and set up a separate season for "Traditional Only".

Now PERHAPS there may be merit to setting aside a particular unit(s) for TAO.

Here in NM we have a couple of units that are designated as Primitive Muzzleloader as opposed to the 500-yards inline "rifles" that are allowed in ML season in the rest of the units.

Carl

11-Sep-14
Are they going to use wooden shafts? Flint tips?

11-Sep-14
No. Besides, I already have a traditional only hunting season in Illinois and it lasts for 3 1/2 months. I bowhunt with a recurve and that's the only way I hunt so I already have it!

What someone else wants to hunt with is none of my business and has no bearing whatsoever on what I use.

Why makes things even more complicated and devisive???

11-Sep-14
No...Loin Cloths?

11-Sep-14
Not really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11-Sep-14
Would you support a separate crossbow season during archery season? Let's say take away a week or two of archery season for crossbows? I wouldn't but that's what you're asking. Be happy that you get to hunt most likely longer than 23 days like we do out west.

11-Sep-14
Yes, I would. I can see no harm in a little more participation. The only possible downside that I can see is that someone not willing to put in their practice time might just grab a stickbow and go wound an animal and lose it, but IMO that would be minimal.

11-Sep-14
No.

11-Sep-14
No, and I hunt with longbows and recurves. Who defines what is "traditional"?

11-Sep-14
Nope. That doesn't mean its a bad idea no matter what.

For a hypothetical example:

Lets say trad success is 10%

Compound is 20%

Rifle is 50%

Lets say you have 10 surplus animals that can or need to be removed from the herd:

To take 10 animals, you could issue 100 trad tags.

Or 50 compound tags

Or 20 Rifle tags

Low success equipment is a great fit when demand for the resource is higher than supply. More people get to hunt, more license revenue is generated, more recreation days are created.

So, while I don't support it in my State at the moment, the concept may be a fit in some circumstances.

11-Sep-14
Yes, I would.

Any bow with wheels and let-off would be banned. I'd put the season in the heart of the rut.

11-Sep-14
Maybe 20 years ago you could've snuck it in but never in a million years now......

"Bows" will be difficult enough to defend.

11-Sep-14
no, and I am a traditional guy. We have a 3 buck limit in Alabama and as far as I am concerned you should be able to take them with the weapon of your choice.

11-Sep-14
If you're wishing to increase the participation in traditional archery, do it by letting the people know how much fun it is. Don't do it by forcing it on them through more restrictive seasons.

11-Sep-14
NO, I'm a stickbow hunter and don't need a "special" season.

11-Sep-14
I've shot stickbows only for the past 12 years. It is tremendously more satisfying and I don't need any welfare to protect me and seperate me from my friends using a compound.

So that is a no.

Is there a thread on the Leatherwall I can copy and paste the above and let the hate mail pour in?

11-Sep-14
No.

11-Sep-14
Nope... Not a chance...

11-Sep-14
Why would you need a separate traditional only season? What if the season is only for ten days, and you cant hunt before or after the season? Would it be really worth it? And to do that, the F&G would prolly shorten other seasons. The trad guys from Durango wrote a letter to the F&G department two years ago asking for a special season cause they needed more time to be able to kill their game. It was a dumb idea...

11-Sep-14
Nope

11-Sep-14
Atlatl season?

11-Sep-14
HAH! I just looked on the LW. 280 posts...I'll pass.

Sadly I hardly ever read or participate over there as it is a very combative bunch. I am more interested in being a better hunter than arguing and I get more good info on the Bowsite side.

11-Sep-14
No.

11-Sep-14
No thank you. Yep, they might even be beating the horse still on the LW.

11-Sep-14
OMG

11-Sep-14
Nope and besides as already mentioned traditional is such a broad term it would be impossible to come up with regulations

11-Sep-14
Not a chance, and someday I hope to hunt with my recurve only...

11-Sep-14
I would support an early (sept) trad only....wood bows, wood arrows etc......but as an addition to the archery season and not to fragment our ranks. trad and compound shooters are the SAME united group and should NEVER do anything to overstep the bounds of either. We need each other. I shoot both styles and dig both.

11-Sep-14
no

11-Sep-14
No, absolutely not. We need restrictions on hunter days not expansion.

11-Sep-14
in AR we have what, 5 1/2 months of archery ?

no need for it

But some states, some WMA's, some NWR's, some places already have a bow/recurve/longbow season and have for a long time.

Compounds were added to those seasons, so if anything .... remove the compounds, they invaded recurve/longbow season, not the other way around boys and girls

11-Sep-14
No

11-Sep-14
No you are asking for you much.

11-Sep-14
no!

11-Sep-14
no and I'm a tradbow guy. here in Tennessee we start off with archery in September and ended with firearms in January. we can use our bows through all the weapons season. no need to add another.

11-Sep-14

ahunter55wife's embedded Photo
ahunter55wife's embedded Photo
No, only because we have enough "special" seasons now. I started when that's ALL there was (1956). It's your choice to use traditional during any bow season now so I see no need for it. For you haters, everything ever done with a compound has been done with a recurve. indoor, outdoor perfect scores. Big Elk, Elephants and more. I've done that + shot 38 animals with recuves (Elk, Black Bear, Hog, Whitetails)

11-Sep-14
I would if it was for the 1st 3 weeks in November. LOL!

11-Sep-14
I do not support this idea but I see the merit in a traditional kill. There are too many who would hunt above their skill level and wound game. I take my hat off to more skilled archers but for me it is about getting close and killing cleanly. The hunting tool is not the determining factor.

11-Sep-14
I would not only support it I think the only thing you should be able to hunt with is a traditional bow during archery season. Only a sissy will use a compound bow or cross bow. (HA got your attention didn't I) In reality I don't think its a good Idea. I went back to a recurve because I wanted to up the challenge since I have harvested so many animals with a compound. Most of my friends still shoot a compound and we have fun ribbon each other. They shoot better on the target farther away and I tell them a real man uses a recurve but we all have fun hunting together and that's what its really all about. Good times and friends.

11-Sep-14
I guess my question would be "why"? Are trad guys such piss-poor hunters and shots that we need extra time?

If that's the case, them some of us need to choose a different weapon for hunting or hone our woodsmanship skills.

11-Sep-14
Greedy hunters we are. We just cant allow anyone in the woods doing the same as us if it is not at the same time as us!

Yes I would support a true archer season because most compound and Xbow hunters do not fit the definition of "someone 'skilled' in the use of a bow" which is exactly what traditional hunters are. They are the only true archers left. Incase anyone is wondering the definition above was written long before compounds and Xbows

Don't buy it or feel I am nocking compound hunters? I am now a compound hunter. Explain how a compound hunter can pull his bow out 1 or 2 week before the season and shoot for a day or so and be driving 2 inch grooves out to 40 yards and how a Xbow hunter can pull his Xbow out a day or two before the season and do the same thing? True traditional archers must shoot wayyy more to stay proficient even at 25 yards. I know because I was one for over 20 years. You aint pulling a long bow or recurve out after almost 1 year of not shooting and shooting well that's for sure. You sure can with a Xbow or compound and many many hunters do just that and they are efficient killers even though they do not practice any where near as much. Sure there are 'some' hunters and pro shooters that are skilled with a compound and they would also be with a traditional weapon due to how much they love to shoot but most do not have that amount of time or dedication so they take the easiest road. I do not fault them at all because the equipment allows them to get away with it and like I said I am on that compound train now but I shoot more than most still even though I only switched due to a bum shoulder.

I am all for honoring those who blazed the trail and those who have the "ability" and "dedication" to "successfully" hunt with traditional equipment. It only seems fair with all the other seasons we have that we give real archers a few days of their own just on the ground of heritage.

11-Sep-14
If you want a traditional hunt, then hang up your wheels and grab your stick and you have what you wanted.

11-Sep-14
It wouldn't bother me in the least but I would see it as a massive waste of time. For you trad guys on Bowsite please know you are the exception to the rule. The vast majority of the trad guys I have come into contact with might as well be throwing rocks at deer. :)

11-Sep-14
X2 Jaquomo.

I don't need an extra season to be successful. Nor does any other traditional bowhunter. The problem with this idea lies in the reality that a good bit of the "die hard" traditional guys not being hunters driven by the intent to kill. When I hear this I sense a guy that decided to do it the "hard way", and insists he's special for that choice.

In reality, it isn't any harder to kill with a trad bow versus a compound or crossbow. They all have their benefits and their limitations. The key to being successful with any of them is understanding that and hunting the hunt you must to kill your prey. No harder, no easier. Just the way it is.

I solely hunt trad bows now, and have for a while. Across the board, their benefits and weaknesses add up to make them every bit as effective as any. Anybody that says different is caught up in the romance of their choices or haven't tried to be a killing hunter with one. To me, the simplicity is their strong point. Just pick a spot and roll. And that arrow will go there if you are confident it will by trusting your instincts. God Bless

11-Sep-14
I wonder how the supporters of a trad only season would feel if they got one but then COULD NOT hunt during the "un-traditional" season unless they used compounds or crossbows?

If being exclusive is a good thing then why should it be limited to just your preferred way of shooting?

11-Sep-14
NO

12-Sep-14
yes ... how about Oct 1 --- Dec 31

the hitech arra launchin device scentlok satellite survielance season can have Jan

12-Sep-14
No and I hunt with either a recurve or longbow.

12-Sep-14
Only if you use a sharpened rock on a home cut stick.

12-Sep-14
You ask this question on a board of predominantly wheel bow shooters, What kind of answer did you expect?

I am kind of like Jaguomo the guys that choose these weapons probably don't need there own season to succeed.

What I would suggest is that inline Muzzys not be part of the Muzzy hunt and it should only be cap and ball or flint lock only.

12-Sep-14
Bear Track nailed it !

12-Sep-14
I agree with what many said above. My answer is No. In my state of Oklahoma our archery season runs from Oct. 1 to Jan. 15. Each person can use the legal weapon for the archery season as defined in our hunting regulations. I choose to use a recurve. Therefore, my archery season is traditional only and it lasts a long time. I have many friends that shoot compounds and couple of friends that use crossbows. Sure, we may poke fun at one another about our equipment but it's all in good fun. But, at the end of the day we all want each other to enjoy the hunt and be successful with our chosen equipment.

12-Sep-14
No

12-Sep-14
Tracker I would go for a traditional muzzy season but the big money behind inlines wouldn't let that happen.

12-Sep-14
No and I shoot a recurve as well as a compound. Some states do have a flintlock season only at the end of the year (open sights, round ball/patch, etc.) which is comparable. When I first read this thread title, the first thought that came to mind that the original intent of this thread was more related to the xbow/compound debate just like the trad/compound debate that has been going on for years since the xbow is now in a similar position as the compound.

12-Sep-14
No

12-Sep-14
I been hunting every year with a compound since 1984... Pretty long "tradition" for me... I guess I am already hunting "traditional"...

I do own a recurve, was going to hunt with it opening day tomorrow for my earna-buck doe, but since I took a new job my practice time is waaay down, such that my "first shot" at 15 yards is no longer a kill shot... My 4th shot and most thereafter are kills shots though, but that does me no good in the field. I find that shooting instinctively, requires much repetition.

My first shot with my Matthews at 40 yards is a kill shot, so will stick to that for now...

However - I will not give up on the recurve, but it's not fair to the deer for me to use them as a practice pin-cushion right now!

12-Sep-14
No

12-Sep-14
No and I have never even shot a compound let alone hunted with it.

I use to think that it might happen though since the way the technology has changed with the evolution of the compound since the 1970's but that has slowed recently and moved over to the crossbow.

12-Sep-14
Why or how would providing a traditional "only" season increase participation? Are there "closet" traditional bow hunters out there that do not partake in the general archery seasons? Unless I'm missing something it would make no sense at all. No for my 2 cents.

12-Sep-14
I don't really care what they do as long as they keep gun season out of November.

12-Sep-14
This stupid question is on every forum on the net and is about the dumbest thing I have heard in some time???

WTF - elitest punks I tell ya. I am not giving up any of my hunting time to others and do not wish to take any of theirs - Just use what you like and don't worry about who or what others use.

Oh, and for the post above about trad guys being some sort of elite trainers of archery that shoot daily to retain their proficiency - I say BS to that too.

It is like riding a bike and at hunting distances if you can do it you can do it after taking a break. ie. Practice is important but it is not like you are going to miss the lake shooting from a boat if you have not picked up your longbow in a month or two. Geesh??

12-Sep-14
"Oh, and for the post above about trad guys being some sort of elite trainers of archery that shoot daily to retain their proficiency - I say BS to that too. "

If your words were directed at me- I find them extremely misguided. If not - my apologies.

I wasn't suggesting that at all. But - for ME, I need more reps, I am new at shooting the recurve. Again - if my FIRST shot doesn't go where I want, I AINT HUNTING!

I have friends that can ignore their longbow for a month and pick it up and hit a quarter at 30 yards.

Why? Because they been shooting that style a very long time, and it does become "like riding a bike".

I do enjoy shooting the recurve - more so than shooting compound. I would like to hunt with it someday, but for ME, I am not ready. I would think that's a "good thing".

12-Sep-14
NO.

12-Sep-14
"I have friends that can ignore their longbow for a month and pick it up and hit a quarter at 30 yards."

Your friends should get into competitive shooting. They could win all three IBO worlds, both NFAA nationals and FITA field worlds without even breaking a sweat. Heck, if they can hit quarters like that at 30 yards, a 300 60x indoor NFAA round should be a piece of cake.

I've read a lot about shooting like that on the internet, but never seen it in person.

12-Sep-14
JRW - ok maybe a 8" pie plate :)

12-Sep-14
Better. :)

12-Sep-14
"After all other seasons have closed". Hell no ! All the does are pregnate, it's late January, I already got my buck a month ago, (I'm allowed 1 archery buck) and it's colder then hell! Besides, I can hunt as good as the compound / x-bow guys, so why would I need or want a special season ?????

12-Sep-14
NO! United we stand divided we fall...

12-Sep-14
x2 Rocky D....

12-Sep-14
Are compound guys such piss-poor hunters and shots that they need wheels and triggers ?

12-Sep-14
I am against it.

12-Sep-14
Nope - Not you Mr. Harris - read up a little higher. You are doing what you choose and did not come on here touting one above another. I have nothing but respect for ya. It is the wheel basher and stickbow worshiper I was taking a jab at :) Probably should just keep my keyboard shut but couldn't help it - going stir crazy waiting for the season to get going.

12-Sep-14
no!

12-Sep-14
No, if you want to use trad gear than go ahead. I'm sure most states let hunters have the option to do so for bow season.

12-Sep-14
No - very few deer hunters would be out. Let all archers share those days.

12-Sep-14
I was thinkin'bout a special season for hunters whose last name starts with a "D".....

12-Sep-14
Heck no. The season is 4 months long in WI. Trad guys can use them all four of those months. While we're at it, let's add a pistol only season since they are tougher to shoot than a rifle on a rest. Maybe a season for compound hunters with 80% left off and less and one for compound hunters with > 80% let off. Or, .....

12-Sep-14
I wouldn't support a special season for trad bows. But here in Oklahoma we have a special draw hunt at the Mcalister army ammunition plant that is recurve/longbow only No sights or attachtments other than a quiver. I mainly hunt with a compound but am also proficient with a recurve. I put in for that hunt every year.

13-Sep-14
No.

13-Sep-14
No

13-Sep-14
Not a chance. Division makes us weaker, not stronger.

13-Sep-14
Nope, and I hunt with traditional gear. I also use anything that has two limbs and a string. It gets to a point where some want recognition for everything they do, special season, special equipment, etc. etc. For what? to say "hey look at me" my equipment is harder to use then yours? For what its worth there are no slam dunks in bow season even if you use a crossbow. The argument between seasons and equipment is a moot point only because its governed by the resource and the total amount of pressure it receives. Regardless of the tools you use, the results are the same.

13-Sep-14
NO,sounds like someone's stiring the pot. About the dumbest thing I've heard today. Divide and conquer.

13-Sep-14
Yes, I would take more days to hunt anytime. Right now I am sitting at home with my dog that just had surgery on both knees. I will miss at least half of our month long archery season because of it.

13-Sep-14
I am guessing I am the so called elitist given my strong post above. Odd that I am a compound hunter too. lol

. To me the season stared out originally by way of primitive equipment and should have stayed that way for that particular season. Here in MI 77 years ago Jack Skanes proved to lawmakers that archery tackle is effective by putting a Sitka spruce wood arrow with a bodkin armor piercing tip through a 3/16" boiler plate from his 65 pound longbow and in essence the season was born.

"Under Michigan regulations pertaining to the new bow and arrow season those years, the archers were not allowed to buy a regular deer hunting license in addition to their special bow hunting permit and had to choose whether they preferred to pursue their favorite technique with its slim chances of a successful kill, or join the thousands who rely on a sharp barking gun for their game"...Do that now and drop the season down form 3 months to 1 or 2 weeks and huge numbers of compound hunters would lay down their compounds and hunt during gun season instead with a gun.

Nowadays with how far modern bows will shoot hunters can increase their kill range to damn near shotgun range. That's not what bow hunting was all about originally IMO but I am not knocking it because we get 93 days to hunt with a bow. Those who say they know guys who are proficient after taking months off of shooting their primitive weapon....Who? Name them! That is not true IMO because I was a primitive archer for over 20 years and also never met one who could do that.

If I chose to I could pick my compound up a few weeks before the season having not shot it all year and within 30 minuets and a few micro adjustments lay my arrows side by side over and over. I know because I did it the 2nd year after I switched. I could not shoot at all during the year due to an ongoing and nagging shoulder issue and when I picked my compound up I was able to shoot wayyyyy better than what I would have if I was still using a longbow.

I watch other hunters pick up their compounds and shoot a few times before hunting season and they are very accurate and effective killers even though they did not shoot at all during the off season. Granted I now use a compound too so I am not 'nocking' it but for 20+ years I was a primitive archer and it requires much more effort. That much is not in question IMO but it is rarely even acknowledged anymore.

I watched a friend last year pull his Xbow out for the 1st time days before hunting season having not shot it all year and he took 12 shots. 3- 20,30,40 and 50 yard shots. All hit in the heart or very close to it and again he had not shot it all year. Try pulling that off with a primitive weapon. Never gonna happen! I don't think it is elitism that primitive archers show but rather skill and dedication and I have no problem awarding them a special season for a several days. They could do it where it doesn't even interfere with any other season.

If Primitive archers are not "special" then neither are you and archery season and gun season should be running at the same time. Funny how if they wanted to join the 2 seasons that the bow hunters would be up in arms screaming bloody murder but wanting a primitive season for a few days where it is separate like many other seasons is out of the question by that same exact group. How's that right or fair? Momma always said life isn't fair.

Ease of use with little skill required....Proof. My 16 year old daughter is a new archery hunter this year. We borrowed my buddies sons youth bow. She has shot all of 2.5 hours with it and shoots 5 inch groups now after shooting a total of six or seven 20 minuet sessions. She can lay almost every shot in the vitals of a deer target and when I say lay them in there I don't mean a pie plate group. That's just nuts accurate for such a short time and new archer and it is ONLY because of the equipment. She would NOT be able to do that with a longbow and would likely need to wait until next year to ethically hunt with one. Not the case with a compound. I also have a similar case with my buddies 9 year old who we burrowed the bow from. He cant hit a barn with that bow because he is to little to have proper form but after just a few adjustments to a xbow and just a few minuets he was driving tacks with that scoped Xbow off a shooting stick or rail. It just proves IMO that modern archers are not necessarily skilled at the art of archery but rather they are just shooters. There hunting skills are another story so don't think I am "nocking" hunting skill.

13-Sep-14
How about a no treestand season.

13-Sep-14
"but the skills that make someone a good bowhunter are the same whether you shoot a compound or a traditional bow."

only true if you only use the compound bow and nothing else . If you use all the other hitech gizmos out there in comjunction with a 50 yard accuracy compound like 99% of modern deer hunters most "skills" are purchased .

13-Sep-14
voodoo

you missed the "pie plate" with that statement!

13-Sep-14
Kevin,

I did mention hunting skill as separate at the end. Did you miss it?

" but the skills that make someone a good bowhunter are the same whether you shoot a compound or a traditional bow."

Well I wont just say it but wouldn't needing to get closer to make a shot due to your equipment's disadvantage be a skill in and of itself? A compound hunter need not get that close or get that extra 20 yards closer given the equipment advantage he posses.

"Shooting a bow is a skill."

Depends on the bow! An Xbow requires no skill or even knowing when to draw because it is already drawn.

"Bowhunting is a separate skill in and of itself, regardless of the style of bow."

Agreed to a point. If you have to get closer it requires more skill then sitting out there at 55 yards with a scoped Xbow or a screaming fast compound for that matter. Even trajectory issues encountered with a long bow compared to that of a 350FPS compound can prevent a shot. In fact I have 1 kill with my compound that would not have been pulled off with a longbow just based on trajectory alone. I would had to have gotten closer.

My kid already knows 'when' to draw. Been teaching her for 3 years now the art of bow hunting and that's part of it. Once she proved to me she learned what I had to offer her and that she could pull sufficient weight required to kill a big game animal I will now let her take on the challenge of bow hunting. I will of course be right by her side for the next 2 years and then she can go on her own but not until then. It always good to have someone there to help remind you of things when its happening. No sense in making a rookie mistake if I can help her not do so. Hopefully she will get a shot and be successful. Who knows she might miss but given her gun hunting abilities and ability to stay calm I think she will drop a deer this year with a bow.

Oh yeah.. She cant shoot the primitive style POC bow we have worth a crap and she tried for 3 months last year. Now maybe it is because it is a no name red POC but I think if I bought her a good primitive hunting bow that it would take her months to get proficient.

13-Sep-14
I want a pistol only season. Then a season for MLs with no scope like it used to be in WI. Then maybe a season for compounds with only 50% let off like the good old days of compounds. Lets continue to divide hunters and make the antis happier.

13-Sep-14
Happy,

I don't see hunters divided over this debate here. Maybe xbows and that's legit IMO. The compound/primitive debate was set in stone years ago and it didn't kill archery. Neither wood a few days for primitive guys to have a season to go along with all the other special seasons .

Keep in mind archery season is a special season all of is own. Why are we so special? Shouldn't the gun guys be able to blast away during archery too? Why are we favored soooooo much over them with an excessively long season in comparison? Hmmmm... Are you for opening archery to guns and just having one big long 93 day season where all weapons are allowed? No favorites? Wouldn't that be fair and unite all hunters?

13-Sep-14
How about this.....

Make it "ARCHERY DEER HUNTING SEASON". It'll be x-days and you can hunt with any legal archery tackle. If you want to make your hunting traditional only or compound only or whatever then JUST DO IT and leave everyone else alone. All my archery seasons for the past decade have been traditional only.

Is it that hard to do???

13-Sep-14
If they did it in SK there would be about 4 of us out there hunting.

13-Sep-14
In WI, archery season runs from mid Sept until the 1st week or Jan. Trad guys can use their equipment every single one of those days. Why do they need a special season that would exclude people that used to be able to hunt during those times when they already have close to 4 months to use their gear?

13-Sep-14
No way.

13-Sep-14
Happy,

Let me put it this way then...Why should you be able to hunt with a bow for almost 4 months but others only get 2 weeks with a gun? Explain why the Archery season like early/late archery in MI are soooooo long in comparison to that of firearm season? Why do us archery guys get months but gun guys get 2 weeks? Shouldn't we all get the same amount of time at the same times with what ever legal hunting weapon we choose?

13-Sep-14
"Let me put it this way then...Why should you be able to hunt with a bow for almost 4 months but other only get 2 weeks with a gun? Explain why the Archery season like early/late archery in MI are soooooo long in comparison to that of firearm season? Why do us archery guys get months but gun guys get 2 weeks? Shouldn't we all get the same amount of time at the same times with what ever legal hunting weapon we choose?"

Could it be because the deer herd can't support 4 months of deer rifle season and the majority of the hunters don't support a single season? That's the way it is in TN and the hunters are the ones who fund our wildlife division.

13-Sep-14
Why couldn't it support it? You still can only kill a certain number of deer per hunter anyway. Unless you're saying the advantage with a gun is so much higher a greater % of deer would be killed? In MI 46% of hunter get a deer on average. Bow and Xbow hunters in 12' had a 42% success rate. Do you think overall it would sky rocket because the gun hunters have more time hunting at the same time as archers who would still likely be using a bow? I think everyone hunting would still choose to hunt with the weapon they otherwise would have if the seasons had remained separate. With that premise then we would have to think it would somehow mess things up in the deer herd all because the 52% that didn't get a deer get more time to get one? I don't think it would change much at all. Maybe a few %.

Also why do we think it is the majority do not support a single season? There is a reason and conservation ain't it IMO.

13-Sep-14
"Why couldn't it support it? You still can only kill a certain number of deer per hunter anyway. Unless your saying the advantage with a gun is higher so a greater % of deer would be killed?"

The advantage with a gun is obviously higher. We are allowed to kill 3 deer per day for the entire season, so there really is no certain number we are allowed to kill unless you want to consider 136 deer per season a realistic number. Hunters do not want to change this.

"Also why do we think it is the majority do not support a single season? " Our state is very proactive in setting seasons and survey hunters every year.

13-Sep-14
3 a day the entire season? Wow. Not here in MI we cant. If that's the cae in TN then you need the gun hunters to hunt year around. lol.. I do not think the advantage would be that much greater either. I edited my post above to reflect the numbers. Most guys only have a finite amount of time to hunt and if they have not bagged a deer in the 1st two weeks they hunt they probably wont continue to hunt and if they do it would be a day here or there. It is hard to keep going out hunting during the season in todays busy world. At least IMO. Most set a certain amount of time aside to hunt and I doubt that would change much for most even if the season was longer

Either way....Shouldnt each group get the same amount of time? Why do bow hunter get special treatment and get so many more days? Could it be because it is harder to kill a deer? Wouldn't the same apply to a primitive archer over a Xbow hunter who can easily poke a deer at 60 yards if he wants? A few primitive archers might pull a shot off like that but most cant, wont, don't and wouldn't even try.

13-Sep-14
" I do not think the advantage would be that much greater either."

Going off memory. Archery kills amounts to 11% of our overall harvest. So, the advantage goes to the gun hunters. My wife has the laptop at her work and I'm limited to my Kindle. You can look up whatever data you want at the TN hunters toolbox through the TWRA website.

"Either way....Shouldnt each group get the same amount of time? "

Not if the people paying the bills say they don't want it that way.

13-Sep-14
Here in MI it is quite different. Heck just our Xbow hunter have a 42% success rate and there are 60,000 of them that get to hunt 93 days if they choose.

We have over 325,000 archery hunters. I think archery hunters make up 35% of our hunters all together now. That's a huge difference to that of TN. Wow

Your harvest report is much different to. Its cool that yours has biological data in it. I could not find the breakdown of firearm and archery but I will take your word for it. They have 11% success but do you know what % of your hunters are archery?

13-Sep-14

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo
It's actually 11-13%. I was able to find more info since my last post.

13-Sep-14
Wow. You guys have no archers down there. That's crazy low numbers in comparison to us on a % basis of the whole community. I am amazed.

On a positive front I do know 4 of the 20,000 TN archers. lol... I have family there and they bow hunt

14-Sep-14
No

14-Sep-14
No

14-Sep-14
NO! Plain and simple!

14-Sep-14
As a traditional bowhunter I say NO. I do get some opportunities to harvest deer and have the discipline to wait or pass on a shot that compounders would find easy. A week early season would be nice but not required.

14-Sep-14
NO

14-Sep-14
I think we should take 2 days out of every year and only allow vintage 1940 (or older) cars on the road and vintage 1940 prop job planes to fly. Everyone else would be walking or riding their 1 speed bikes with the little bells on them and baskets in the front. Feel free to put baseball cards in the spokes for effect.

14-Sep-14
Yes. I June fawn only season for those guys that need all the help they can get to kill something. The young and dumb are just their speed, pathetic greedy "hunters". ! I shoot a longbow having never ever even picked up a compound bow. I already have a 3 month long "trad" only season and see no need for a handicap season.

14-Sep-14
I hunt with both recurve and compound. And I'm prficient with a recurve. I say No.

14-Sep-14
How about a season for guys over 70 years old regardless of the bow they shoot. We all know it takes them longer to do things. With less competition from younger whippersnappers, we would have more opportunities. Be nice to your elders!

14-Sep-14
Granted ursman. You can hunt 24/7/365. It's earned, not given.

14-Sep-14
No

14-Sep-14
Alright I have got to sound off and give my assessment of this "trad only season" debate. Here is the bottom line Trad hunters as a whole don't like compound Bows they do not "fit" in there definition of true archery, that being said they want to distance themselves from it but can't. I hunt with any weapon I can, I would hunt with a slingshot if that's all there was available. This debate needs to be stopped, like said before this topic is all over most of the websites and it is just ridiculous. Whoever started all this IS an ELITEST SNOB and should probably find a new hobby.

14-Sep-14
NO. In WI. you have 3+ months to hunt deer with a bow. Trad or compound. What idiot would want to cut their season short by having a "special" season ? Maybe we should have special seasons for left handed shooters, or a special season for guys who use tree stands and those who hunt on the ground. Or, perhaps, those who use feathers and those who use vanes. And, on and on and on. How complicated do you want this to be ??

14-Sep-14
No Motorhead, not all stickbow guys feel that way. It's just a very few who feel their opinion matters. Most of us could care less. Go to the Leatherwall and let those few know they are full of crap.

14-Sep-14
How about a season for stick and string hunters.....I couldn't tell you what "traditional" is. I don't need a another season, it already lasts for about three months.

15-Sep-14
Hope Patrick had fun with his "pot stirring" thread. Or, perhaps he really is ignorant.

15-Sep-14
I would be all for it.

16-Sep-14
"Hope Patrick had fun with his "pot stirring" thread. Or, perhaps he really is ignorant."

It wasn't pot stirring stagetek. There has been a bunch of talk about a traditional only season in my state and I just wanted to know what others outside the traditional archery community thought about it. In my opinion, asking people directly is intelligent. Speculation is what is ignorant. I didn't give my own opinion about it because I didn't want to influence the poll either way.

16-Sep-14
Patrick606,

It is not a pot "stirring thread" IMO. Nothing wrong with asking questions. Well.....apparently in todays world there IS something wrong with asking certain questions because the elitist pop off and nail you just for asking it and could care less if it is a hot topic in your own state.

In your state thread are you seeing a call for a separate few day or 1 week season that does not interfere with the way things are now or all some calling to have part of the current season carved off for primitive archers?

I can tell you this.....If they pushed gun season into part of archery so all hunters were on equal footing you would see a massive uproar by these bowhunters that think primitive archers are elitist. Once their season would be interfered with in anyway it changes the whole equation. They have no issue being treated special and getting 3 months while gun hunters only get a few weeks and like I said if you cut a month out of their season for gun hunters to have they would be screaming bloody murder.

I have seen some threads on other sites in days past when a separate 1 week primitive season was proposed that would 'not' interfere at all with ANY other season and each time many get all itchy about it like they have poison ivy and they do not like the idea. Here in MI we have all kinds of seasons and taking any part of one away even if it is only a couple days for others to be separate or even adding a separate few days that wouldn't interfere is seen as a big no-no on both fronts. IMO every group sees themselves as special and especially so if part of their 90 day season is asked to be given up so guys were on equal footing. Hell some guys pitch a fit over the kids getting two whole days of their own separate from the adults. If that doesn't take the cake. They do so even in the face of massively shrink hunter retention numbers.

16-Sep-14
Hammer...

A number of options are being tossed around. Some want an early season in September, some want a late season in January, some want to make a primitive season for traditional bowhunters and the old style smoke poles, and some don't want to chop things up any more than what it is right now.

What I think doesn't really matter much, I was just asked by a friend to put the poll on a number of different sites to get a feeling for what all hunters thought about the idea overall. In state, out state, bowhunters and gun hunters.

From the looks of it, the results were about the same everywhere. 75 to 80 percent were against it, and 20 to 25 percent were ok with it.

16-Sep-14
Yeah that sounds about right for the numbers. It wouldn't be so bad that people don't want it but the way they express it I guess is where the division gets ramped up.

Here in MI we have many seasons,

1 Early antlerless

2 Liberty hunt... Youth season.. 1-2 are at the same time.

3 Early bow season

4 Independence hunt

4 Regular firearm

5 late archery

6 Muzzy season

7 Late antlerless

LOL... I may have even missed one in there I cant remember. What's one more few day or week long hunt between one of those seasons or before or after is the way I look at it but boy do most reject it.

That youth season I mentioned has made for some interesting debate. I think hunters complain ONLY because the kids get to hunt BEFORE them even though it is only 2 days and does not cut into their season. IMO it is a greed thing. The firearm guys do not pitch a fit about the youth season in anywhere near the same numbers as archery hunters. IMO that speaks volumes about what it is really about to many people regardless if they want to admit it or not. If it wasn't I think both groups would equally oppose it and so far I see a huge difference between the two groups and how they see the early seasons. I think a early primitive season would be seen the same way for the same reason but that's just me and my opinion. Why anyone would oppose it after the other seasons are done is beyond me. I say let em have it and more power to ya if you want to spend an extra few days braving that freezing cold potential 0 to -20 January weather for a deer.

16-Sep-14
Only the long bow is traditional so that would be what we would have to use. We would also have to make it ourselves, so that would even leave me out. I vote no. Most of the guys I know that shoot traditional couldn't kill anything when they used the compound so now they have, what they perceive to be a great excuse, "I shoot traditional". These same guys pick up the gun as soon as the firearm season opens, most shoot the muzzleloader which nowadays, is far from a real muzzleloader.

16-Sep-14
No and it's what I shoot but if it was an option I'd go for it. I would like to see some SWA's that were traditional only like Oklahoma has. But I'd be happy if they would make a unit or two and SWA's that were archery only(not just traditional) for all game across the board. I walked out of my setup last night to find a black powder hunter right in my back pocket, luckily he was a good hunter and not a shoot first and ask questions later hunter!

17-Sep-14
Well Patrick, it seemed to me that your thread was aimed at stirring the pot. By not offering any opinion or argument pro or con, it was just left "out there". I do apologize for the ignorant remark. That was out of line on my part. Suffice it to say, in WI. many are a bit touchy about special seasons. We have way too many already.

17-Sep-14
A special season for recurve and longbow shooters? NO i hunt with a longbow and i certainly don't need a "special" season.

As far as traditional? I could care less what kind of bow a guy hunts with.

I'd just like to see more people actually hunt.

I'm beginning to think the modern bowhunter is better at camera and video surveillance and techno stuff, than he is at actually interpreting sign. putting down some actual legwork, picking stand locations ect..ect..

It would appear that the guy's that can actually enter an area (any area)especially public land. scout it, hunt it, and come out with a deer without any kind of bait,food plots, surveillance equip ect....are getting fewer and fewer.

i'd just like to see a little more "hunt" put into the time we already have.

17-Sep-14
No. In my state, we all have plenty of time and space to hunt the way we want. No need for any additional special seasons.

17-Sep-14
yes of course! its obvious.

17-Sep-14
Arkansas bow season is Sept 27-Feb 28. I would be all for a traditional season. Almost always when there is an additional season it opens up a new interest. More days in the field is good. Even if it only means more days with me shooting traditional in the yard with my kids I would support a traditional season.

18-Sep-14
Yes! I'd like to hunt without being surrounded by a bunch of guys shooting bows with training wheels! :) The gruel was settling to the bottom, needed stirring. Ha!

18-Sep-14
Absolutely not.

• Sitka Gear