buc i 313 09-Oct-14
TurkeyBowMaster 09-Oct-14
heydeerman 10-Oct-14
Woodsman416 10-Oct-14
1boonr 10-Oct-14
XMan 11-Oct-14
Coccon Man 11-Oct-14
15-Sep-14
Was wondering if anyone out there leaves their stands up from year to year on the properties they own and if yes what stands you trust your life with?

To me the best hang on stands made were all steel API's or old gorillas with the chains. They didn't use the aircraft cables on the side that could rust/snap and the chains didn't succumb to rot or squirrels like all the belts do today. Anyone have any recommendations?

15-Sep-14
Lone Wolf. All cast or aircraft grade aluminum.

Change straps every year if you leave them in the woods.

15-Sep-14
great stands for sure Sundowner but I wouldn't leave one out over the winter at $250 a pop :) Does anyone make a stand with chains anymore?

15-Sep-14
Check Screaming Eagle maybe.

15-Sep-14
I am the same way for stands that are going to be out all season I prefer chains, for run and gun the straps are better. I don't know of any lower end stands with chains anymore and I have searched the web for them. The only Stands I know that are chain on are Chippewa wedge loc, millennium, and Woodsey Too, but they are high end stands.

John

15-Sep-14
I left my Screaming Eagle up this past winter. I went to check it on Saturday and I noticed one of the vertical tubes is no longer square, and now it has a 3" crack on one of the corners. It appears water must have got in there somehow and it froze. That stand will now be recycled!

15-Sep-14
I dont leave stands up all year anymore. I had trees grow into the stand. I too use the lone wolf and just hang the quick S hook straps on the trees and bring my stand to whatever spot I want to hunt. The S hook is already there. I really like their system and feel very safe plus the thing is silent even in sub zero temps. Great set up.

15-Sep-14
my 25 yr old alum lockon. Its the only of three I didn't have stolen in NJ. (fortDix) I dont leave out because of that, If you can find one there great,6-7lbs.

18-Sep-14
Millenium stands have the bracket you put on the tree that consists of a chain and aluminum bracket. They are kind of a pain to get set, but you can buy the brackets a lot cheaper than buying more stands. Super comfortable to sit in and very secure. Not cheap though. Other than that, XOP stands are the bomb. Pretty much an improved Lone Wolf.

18-Sep-14
I leave. Up a Big Game Boss on my land and just carry out the climbing sticks at end of season. I also have an old Amacker climber that has remained on the. Same tree for at least 15 to 20 years and is still structurally sound. Uncomfortable but solid and a producer.

24-Sep-14
I never leave them out after the season ends but of those I use the Screaming Eagle is by far the stongest.AFAIK It's the strongest hang on or climber ever made.

09-Oct-14
I use a Muddy, and a Lone Wolfe, both lock on, both great to hunt from.

Pull mine at the end of season. In addition I use a quality lock and cable. after I hang them.

I find no reason to temp a thief. it's sad but a fact.

09-Oct-14
Chimoawawa

10-Oct-14
Family Tradition tree stands makes all their stands with chains all around. I have been eye-ballin them. Google em.

10-Oct-14
I use the Big Game Boss XL stands. I take them down and go over them every year. They're steel and pretty heavy but they have a large platform with a footrest and the seat is higher than any other hang on I've seen. Cabelas puts them on sale every year for $69.00.

10-Oct-14
check out the Chippewa wedge-loc stands. they are great for people who want multiple stand sites and are not able to buy multiple stands.

11-Oct-14
I decided to buy the muddy stands, they replace the belt for free after 3 years.

I did research a few of these other stands, I knew of Chippewa but they recently stopped production and sold the company. The family tradition stands look exactly what i am looking for, not sure though where to buy them online. Their website is really old, are they still in business?

TBM, i couldn't find that company u mentioned.

thanks all for the replies. XMan

11-Oct-14
Another vote for screaming eagle. I make my own version of the screaming eagle. I have about 30 stands and leave most of them out, all with chains. Hunt'n Addict, I drill a hole from the bottom into the vertical tubes to let the water drain out, no problem with expanding ice after that!

Every couple of years I reset them as the tree grows. A lot of times I do need to cut the chain. I use a quick link to attach the chain to the fixed side so I cut the chain link next to that, that way I only lose one link.

I have stands that have been out for at least 20 years. The only time I use a strap vs a chain is for a stand that I need to get in and put up in stealth mode, or if I pack one in and need to cut weight and they will only be up for a short time.

• Sitka Gear