master guide 18-Sep-14
DL 19-Sep-14
Florida Mike 19-Sep-14
Rob Nye 19-Sep-14
snapcrackpop 19-Sep-14
16-Sep-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I can't imagine having to flesh this guy out.

16-Sep-14
That's a big boy...

16-Sep-14
So THATS what happened to Rosie O'Donnell....

16-Sep-14
He looks like he needs some guy wires and floated down a NYC street at thanksgiving!

16-Sep-14
This is ontarios answer to recycling garbage.

16-Sep-14
Nothing like a dump bear. I actually saw a TV show once where they were hunting in a dump, the blind was an old semitrailer. I think the guy called himself the Bear Whisperer. Booboo walked by, stood up and looked in the trailer and promptly took an arrow in the head for being curious. The host was fearing for his life. Yeesh!

16-Sep-14
What a fata$$. I've never seen a bear that fat. Mike

16-Sep-14
Would an arrow even get in? Wow, that's a big boy!

16-Sep-14
He's just big boned!

16-Sep-14
What a toad !

16-Sep-14

rattles33's embedded Photo
rattles33's embedded Photo
I just rendered 9 pints. I could get 9 gallons off that porker

16-Sep-14
He should skin out pretty easy.....

17-Sep-14
Wow!

Bob...I saw that...either he was convinced he was being attacked or he was trying to convince the viewer. ..lol just ridiculous

17-Sep-14
Holy cow. No wonder he is sitting down, he's too fat to stand up.

17-Sep-14
rattles - what is that stuff? Looks like honey. I'm not a bear guy, am just curious........

17-Sep-14
That's rendered bear fat CPAhunter. Just had an awesome apple pie that bear fat was used instead of shortening. Simple to do too. The variance in oil color occurred from when I put some partially rendered pieces back into the pot [more amber color resulted] versus the virgin pieces that produced almost a colorless oil. Refrigerated it turns to a consistency of mayonnaise.

17-Sep-14
That is the second photo this Fall of some incredibly fat black bears!! I hope to see them in someone's "hero" photo!!!

17-Sep-14
Bears name should be Jaba

17-Sep-14
A little sidetracked, but rattle33:

I had always heard that one of the reasons bears can taste strong is because of the fat, and that all fat should be removed from meat.

You rendering & eating the fat would suggest it tastes fine.

Care to elaborate, as I've never heard of the process.

I should add that I've yet to kill a bear, so no first hand experience.

Thanks! Carl

17-Sep-14
And theres proof that breast fed baby crap is full of fat.Nothing like a diaper fed bear on the BBQ.

17-Sep-14
Very simple smarba. Bear fat is quite easy to remove in large chunks and is nice and white. I just cut up in manageable pieces and slowly heat in a stock pot style kettle. Not too high of heat or you will scorce it and may impart a burnt flavor. It will slowly begin to render out an oil with the remainder looking like fried pork rinds [crackling is the term]. Discard the crackling. The rendered oil is then strained through cheesecloth a couple of times and viola! I let it stand till room temp in canning jars, and then refrigerate for longevity. It quickly solidifies in the fridge into a creamy oil with the consistency of mayo.

18-Sep-14
Just a little cooking info, almost all big time baking contest are won by people using rendered bear fat instead of shortening. A lighter crust they say.

19-Sep-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here's another fatty.

19-Sep-14

Florida Mike's embedded Photo
Florida Mike's embedded Photo
Ok so here's another fatty...

19-Sep-14
Thanks Mike, now I gotta go wash my eyes out with bleach!

19-Sep-14
On the FAT TASTE, If the bears are eating berries they taste great, if they area eating fish or dumpster diving, not great... according to Steven Rinella (The MeatEater).

• Sitka Gear