Rock 17-Sep-14
pointingdogs 17-Sep-14
Hammer 17-Sep-14
r-man 17-Sep-14
Ambush 17-Sep-14
16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
I'm a very slow type'er which translates to being too lazy to post hunting stories, but after enjoying Drycreek's hunt thread from the same place, I thought I should.

I hunted there in 2013, but it was so wet that I didn't have any opportunities at shots I was willing to take. So forward to 2014.

I talked my Buddy, Adam, into doing the 24 hour drive with me and with high hopes we set off with two tags to fill. Across BC, south through Alberta, angle east by south/east through Montana and then into Wyoming. We stopped into the Billing' Cabelas and picked up a few things including two of their swivel blind chairs [on sale] and were later very happy we did. Final food shopping was done in Gillette and then LOTS of ice in Wright before hitting the ranch "campsite".

We met Ron [Rock] and Larry who were already there and they brought us up to speed on the speed goats. They had improved some blinds and put up one new one. Great guys to share camp with. I'm 61 and Larry is in his seventies. Even with a bum knee from surgery, I'm not sure I could keep up with him for long.

I got set up with this hunt through Ron and he knows the ranch well. He also knows what it takes to kill an antelope from a blind. So to instill in us one of the most important skills, being patience, he sent us to blinds that we would have almost zero chance of having a buck come in. We could SEE goats but not shoot goats. Adam sat the new "South Blind" and I put a pop-up on a berm on another pond not far away. Did I say Ron knows the ranch? His plan for us worked flawlessly. We saw goats, nice bucks! Little bucks and does came in but the big guys just passed by and teased us. On his advice we learned to see how many flies we could let crawl on our faces before we freaked. We practiced controlling our panic when waking up from a nap and having a snake in the blind with you. To pass the time we licked all the candy coating off of each individual Smarty before sucking the melted chocolate from our sticky fingers. We learned patience!!

In the meantime Ron shot an antelope.

Seeing that we were almost ready, Ron suggested a change of blinds and we were ready for the change. It was day four and Ron was headed home, wishing us luck. Larry was trying a new spot after the Windmill Blind proved fickle at best. I chose to sit the same blind Ron had shot his from and Adam went to the Island Blind.

I had animals and birds to keep me entertained. Deer came everyday.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
I'm always surprised when animals just "show up!!" from a prairie that was empty only a few minutes prior. Like these girls. I looked all around and then took a few minutes to scan out the back of the blind. When I look back, they are at the water!

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
I had some small bucks sparring about twentyfive yards from the blind after which one of them went over and hassled one of the twin mule deer fawns that was drinking.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
I'm not sure how many millions of "mud puppies' there are in one small pond, but these birds seem to average about two or three a minute all day long.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
After getting skunked last year, I had already decided that I was going to shoot the first half decent buck that gave me a chance. It was about an hour into daylight the second day in this blind and I was just getting into my "patience" mode. I had a smarty out, contemplating where to start licking it. I had just done a thorough scan and felt a snooze coming on. A quick check out the back on some does that were feeding in the distance then a galce at the waterhole in front of me.

There's a buck drinking!! HOW THE...???

"..move slow... get your bow up... range him... he looks okay... he's walking off!!. Decision time?!?!

I put a thirty yard pin on him and let the arrow go as he was walking slowly very slightly quartering away. I heard the thud and he bolted. I can never remember my shots. Even when I try talk my way through it, I never really remember the execution. The buck ran about forty yards and laid down and then he got up and stood there with large gobs of blood blooping out of the hole. He laid down again.

About now I'm thinking it was too far back or he should be dead by now. I snapped a picture through the spotting scope as about five minutes passed.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
He started shaking his head rapidly from side to side and then just flopped over.

YES!! First archery antelope on the ground! I took some photos and loaded him up before the heat got o the meat. As i was loading I got checked by a game warden. Very helpful and friendly fellow. Back to camp and got everything on ice and had a chat with Larry who was getting ready to leave. He would come back after his moose hunt.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
After getting everything on ice, I drove over to where I could see Adam's blind. I checked the waterhole with binos to make sure there were no antelope close by and then I was going to go down and sit with him.

NO NEED as I see him out of the blind walking towards his antelope. Yep a double header! And Adam had never even seen an antelope in his life before this trip. More congratulations and high fives.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Back at camp, getting ready to go home. I'm already planning for next year. With the ice broke, I'll be waiting for one for the wall.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Here's where I learned patience for the first two days. Thank's, Ron, for the lessons.

I had one very nice buck stand completely still and broadside at fifty-nine yards for at least five minutes. I was very tempted, but figured sure he would come in. He didn't.

16-Sep-14
Good write up Rod, and congrats on your's and Adams pronghorn ! Once you start, it's hard to stop hunting antelope. Wish you luck next year too.

16-Sep-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
And what would a Wyoming antelope hunt be without a few of these "trophies" stuck in your hide.

Thanks Ron and Larry for all the help, advice, fun, the camp BS sessions and hopefully we can meet up in 2015.

16-Sep-14
And another damn thing. Did you have to tell everybody that you remembered to get ice ? LOL

16-Sep-14
Congratulations! Nice buck! I'd shoot him in a heartbeat as I have yet to take one with my bow.

Nick

16-Sep-14
Congrats man that's a great looking goat

16-Sep-14
Awesome! Congrats!

16-Sep-14
Way to go.

17-Sep-14
Great story! Very funny, patience of that magnitude will have to wait in my world!

17-Sep-14
Great story!

17-Sep-14
Glad you learned the patience to slow-type your first successful PH archery success story!

17-Sep-14
Rod, Nice write up. I thought for sure you would not figure out that I was setting you up!!!!! Even going so far as to give up the Blind I was hunting so Adam could hunt it, I figured that was fool proof. Will figure out something better for next year, Ha Ha.

You and especially I both screwed up big time this year by shooting Bucks that we should have let walk. Wait until you see the pictures of the one that was shot yesterday at the Windmill Blind.

Of all the years I have hunted this ranch this has to be one of the best for bigger Bucks and I just got to wound up to shoot one with the Bow a friend built for me.

Let me know what date you want next year, how many will be in your group and I will get you on the schedule.

17-Sep-14
Congrats!!! Hope you didn't lost in the "BIG TOWN OF BILL" :)

good luck to all the dog

17-Sep-14
Awesome. Congrats.

17-Sep-14
nice, what brand blind?

17-Sep-14
Will do Ron. I'm plenty happy with the goat I got, but now it's time to wait it out for a real nice buck. Hopefully I have enough points to draw the other side next year.

Adam saw a very big buck walking over the hill just after he shot his.

r-man, the blind is a Primos Double Bull "Double Wide". I rarely use a blind for hunting, so I don't know much about them. I just know I like room. Unfortunately, I discovered that "Double Wide" only refers to the door. It was likely designed with Jimmy Primos in mind. I can almost stand up in it and there is room to draw a bow. But I bought it at 70% off, so for around a hundred bucks, I'm happy with it.

• Sitka Gear