kota-man 17-Sep-14
Surfbow 17-Sep-14
muskeg 18-Sep-14
Tombow66 18-Sep-14
Mad Trapper 18-Sep-14
mntman742 18-Sep-14
skinner creek 18-Sep-14
16-Sep-14
Is the meat from a goat taken in October edible? I've had some tell me it's tougher than shoe leather, yet others tell me goat meat is just fine.

Thanks!

16-Sep-14
I sure hope it is. 33 days out, can't wait!

16-Sep-14
Yes. Edible is all relative and that will be relatively edible

16-Sep-14
If I kill it, I eat it, but some hunts are really all about the experience and the horns. Goats are at the top of that list.

I think it was Crocodile Dundee that said. "Of course you can eat it, it just taste like sh!t."

16-Sep-14
The tenderloins from mine last year tasted very good AND you got to have that taste for one hell of a long time trying to chew it. Got made into other things!

16-Sep-14
Killed a Sept goat in AK and it tasted just fine. We ground most of the meat figuring that it would be tough. But flavor was great.

16-Sep-14
I've had very few tough critters. I have discovered, however, that marinating tough meat in Italian dressing for three days really solves the problem. It also adds a very nice flavor.

Nick,

Good luck! My hunt starts 10/4. If lightning strikes, I'll not only tag a goat, but a big Grizz and a Stone sheep as well.

16-Sep-14
WOW! that's a real line up! Good luck and hope you fill them all.

Shoot the goat, kill the grizz while he's trying to choke down that meat and then enjoy the sheep. It's delicious.

16-Sep-14
Good Luck Kyle and Nick...My Oct. 12 goat hunt just got moved up to Oct. 1! Will also carry a moose tag, bear tag and wolf tag.

16-Sep-14
Not sure there would be a difference between an October goat and my September goat, but mine was fine.

Of course I only ate the tenderloins as steaks, and the rest went into brats due to the stories I had heard beforehand. Tenderloins were very good though.

16-Sep-14
I cooked the one I got by making boneless roasts out of it then crock pot all day with a lot of seasoning. made good sandwich meat.

16-Sep-14
My one goat was a youngster and meat tasted great and was much more tender than I expected. If your meat is tough, marinade for a couple days and then use slow cooker.

My goat we let hang for 7 days at 40 degrees and that might have helped with tenderizing it some.

16-Sep-14
I plan on making roughly 99% of mine into burger should I shoot one....or two :)

Kota, you and Kyle have some awesome additional animals to take a crack at! I'm hoping to try and fill a deer tag or two, pales in comparison to sheep and grizz!

16-Sep-14
Somewhere several Taxidermists are rubbing their hands together, and wishing you guys lots of luck.

I'm looking forward to the stories, good luck to all of you.

16-Sep-14
Put it this way, Don't just go for the meat. Theres lots of easier ways to get way better tasting steaks. : )

We ate my Billys backstraps in camp the next night. Pretty chewy and tough

17-Sep-14
Killed a big 5 1/2 year old Billy last year in Colroado in Oct. The meat was a bit tough but had a GREAT flavor... Its all gone and I miss it

17-Sep-14
My goat from last year was amazingly good. Cut most in to steaks and enjoyed the heck out of them. Wish I still had some left. Some cuts were tougher than others but the taste was amazing.

17-Sep-14
I got a goat (young billy) in AK several years ago and only brought a medium sized roast home cooked it in the slow cooker all day , I had five teens living at home then and to this day they still make comments about how good it was.

17-Sep-14
I shot my Montana goat in late October last year. Several people told me to pitch it, but I am a firm believer in eating what I shoot. I had it processed by a local place in Bozeman and had them make it into meat sticks to mask the flavor. I usually do that with my antelope and love it. The goat was disgusting. Seriously. Not sure if it was the goat or the meat processor or what, but I honestly couldn't gag it down. I even shared it with a few hard-core guys--the kind who eat squirrel and possum without blinking--and they wouldn't touch it. So unfortunately, mine turned into some very expensive dog treats. I tried.

17-Sep-14

grizz2's embedded Photo
grizz2's embedded Photo
I only shot one goat in my life (AK), but it was one of the best eating critters I have ever had. It was a 4 1/2 YO, so not that old. Had great conditions weather wise, but i think the key was getting the hide off and meat cooled ASAP. He then only hung for one day, over water and under rock overhang. When processing was done back at home, the steaks looked like the deep red ones they keep behind glass in the deli section of the market! Did a pepsi challenge against Dall sheep - marinated backstraps on the grill, side by side. All 4 folks plus myself picked the goat. Sorry some had bad experience, and i'm sure a 10 YO wouldn't be so good, but don't think all goat is bad!

17-Sep-14
Let's be clear - most guys who are goat hunting shoot goats that are 5 1/2+ years old.

VERY, very few animals most hunters shoot are that old.

It's just a scientific fact the older and animal gets the tougher the meat is. The meat industry even has a scale for how much pressure it takes to chew a piece of meat.

So if you shoot an old giant - grind it into burger, make brats or smoke a ham and cut thin for lunch meats.

17-Sep-14
I had the majority of my October goat made into hotdogs and burgers because everyone told me how chewy they are.....Luckily, I kept a few cuts just so I could experiment. I am glad that I did.

Get a Jaccard meat tenderizer....you'll never have a chewy cut of meat again. I ate the shank of my Mountain Goat with a plastic knife and a plastic fork....because I used a Jaccard tenderizer AND I marinated the meat for two days. Delicious.

17-Sep-14
That Jaccurd is my favorite. Everyone should have one.

17-Sep-14
This site is a major cash drain for me...Googling "Jaccard"...or is it "Jaccurd"...?

17-Sep-14
Braise the meat, a few hours like that will soften up anything...

18-Sep-14
I have eaten lots of Goat meat for many years ... I usually do roasts or slow cook for the meat that I don't burger. It makes very good burger.

Crock pot roasts are great.

Mt Goat meat is basically very good.

18-Sep-14
Usually Mountain goats rut in Oct. and like caribou, are terrible when they are in rut. A friend gave me some from a billy he shot in early sept on Kodiak and it wasn't bad. No gamey taste at all.

18-Sep-14
My experience with goat meat on the mountain and off the mountain is that it was like trying to eat a piece of tire. If I could get it chewed into a managable piece, it did taste good though.

18-Sep-14
My goat tasted a lot like processed wood and it wasn't very filling, after all said and done all I got out of it was about 1/4 of a bite.

18-Sep-14

skinner creek's embedded Photo
skinner creek's embedded Photo

skinner creek's Link
I Killed this 9 year old last week with a client. You can hardly chew the tenderloins. Grinding the whole goat as the flavor was great.

• Sitka Gear