TradbowBob 18-Sep-14
archerD 18-Sep-14
Longbeard 18-Sep-14
samman 18-Sep-14
TwoDogs@work 18-Sep-14
TwoDogs@work 18-Sep-14
oldgoat 18-Sep-14
18-Sep-14
I'm looking at getting a feather chopper or burner to start making my own wild turkey feather fletching. I have no experience with either one.

Anyone have a recommendation on one or the other?

18-Sep-14
I've never been able to make chopped feathers all come out the same. There will be slight differences, just because. If you are OK with that, they are a good tool.

Feather burners stink, you don't want to do it in the house.

TBB

18-Sep-14

archerD's Link
Gateway Feathers offers a chopper.

18-Sep-14
What TradboBob said! If you're married and plan to do this in the house, chopper, if single and don't care, burner....

18-Sep-14
I have a burner & use it out in the garage. It definitely stinks up the garage for a day or so. It's really consistent on shape though. The nice thing is you can easily change shape or length just by bending the wire. I have never used a chopper.

18-Sep-14
I have used a chopper for years and like others have said cut feathers have some irregularity. I simply use feathers that are closest to the same and my arrows seem to fly fine.

18-Sep-14
I have used a chopper for several years and as others have said getting identical feathers is hard. I try and fletch with feathers closest to the same cut and my arrows seem to fly fine.

18-Sep-14
Times two with samman, but I use it on back porch. Easy to change shapes and lengths!

• Sitka Gear