jdee 20-Sep-14
TD 20-Sep-14
Mule Power 21-Sep-14
jtelarkin08 21-Sep-14
Mule Power 21-Sep-14
Woodsman416 21-Sep-14
Bou'bound 21-Sep-14
19-Sep-14
I watched an archery episode of McMillans last night and cannot believe what I witnessed. At the end of the episode the hunter missed a nice bull. His exact words where "the bull is 85 yards so I placed my 60 yard pin on him and raised up where I thought 85 yards would be and let er fly". REALLY that is not ok. I know the distance issue is always a hot topic and 85 yards is stretching the issue on an elk to begin with, but if you don't have a pin for the yardage and don't practice at that yardage don't even attempt it. These animals are too great to take a chance like that and wound them. I cannot believe the hunter tried this let alone aired it on TV. This is what gives Bowhunters a bad name. Sorry for my rant but it really pissed me off when I watched that.

19-Sep-14
Agee with you!

19-Sep-14
Agree!

19-Sep-14
I agree also!

Ole Thumper

19-Sep-14
I agree also!

Ole Thumper

19-Sep-14
Yes, definitely not on my "watch list" when it comes to hunting shows.

19-Sep-14
Not just Bowhunters a bad name. It gives new Bowhunters the idea that if the TV guys can try it (no matter what the range) they can to. Well if I take my farthest pin and hold it over the animal this much I may be able to hit it. Oh yeah, this speaks all kinda volume about the observed "Leadership" in this sport. DANNY

19-Sep-14
Is that the guy with the mullet?

19-Sep-14
"This is what gives Bowhunters a bad name."

I don't disagree with the issue of irresponsible shots but I would think that recording the statement permanently in writing on the internet is more likely to give Bowhunters a bad name.

I think most people who see these things just chalk it up to the state of modern television shows.

19-Sep-14
Poke and hope isn't bowhunting.

BTW- If I don't have any pins, should I shoot at all? (Sorry, as I barebow shooter I couldn't help myself. BTW 85 yards is too far for me!)

19-Sep-14
Eighty five yards is too much for ALL OF US when shooting at a live animal. I used to practice out to seventy with some others and we could pinwheel that muley 3D target, ( most of the time ) , BUT IT NEVER MOVED ! Wild animals are seldom still for long. Add to that, the adrenaline, what may be between you and your target that you can't see, and it becomes what Z said, " Hope and poke ". That shouldn't be what we are about.

loprofile, I would think that a bunch of guys dissing this tv show ( and the practice of long shots ) would serve to show anyone who reads this that we, as a whole, do not and will not take these kinds of shots. JMO

19-Sep-14
I kill animals at 100+ all the time with a 20 yard pin and a prayer. ;)

19-Sep-14
Peer pressure may be effective in getting these clowns to realize that what they are doing is wrong and disrespectful to the animals they are hunting. Now that people are being suspended, losing their jobs, and being publicly chastized you don't hear too many football players insisting that beating their spouses and kids is still okay. Similar pressure needs to be placed on those who are an embarrassment to all hunters.

19-Sep-14
Yes tgats what we need is more political correctness and regulation please. Edit: that was sarcasm

19-Sep-14
I agree 85 yards is not a shot.. if you can't regulate yourself someone else will do it for you, sad but true..

19-Sep-14
yawn

19-Sep-14
I don't watch many hunting shows, but I watch that one exactly never. host is an idiot.

those damn hunting channels do more harm to us then about anything.

19-Sep-14
The makeup turns me off.....

19-Sep-14
Sure would like to hunt some of his ground.

19-Sep-14
And he wasn't even close. Shot almost 2 feet low and says "shot right under him!"

19-Sep-14
Just how far is 85-yards? I tried stepping off but got tired at 62.

19-Sep-14
Is this the just who uses black spray paint on his goatee???

19-Sep-14
Unfortunately I own ground out by these jokers. He and his dad have more than a shady reputation. Not the kind of people that locals would call sportsman by any stretch of imagination! Self promoting ego maniacs! Just don't watch and they will all go away!!!

19-Sep-14

Bullshooter's embedded Photo
Bullshooter's embedded Photo
Good one. The drop between those distance, and that's assuming 300 fps, is about 60 inches.

See the chart.

Douche.

20-Sep-14
I'm honestly glad I got rid of the hunting channel. Shows like these do nothing but piss me off. Everything has turned into one big commercial with everyone trying to sell some sort of product instead of actually depicting what it is like to go on an actual hunt. The shows are 95% advertising and 5% so called hunting, which equals 100% crap. I remember a few decent shows with actual hunters that were alright to watch but most have turned into shows not worth my time. It's sad that the younger generations of hunters see this and they think this is what hunting is all about and then they think it's ok to do what the guys on TV do. I hope most older adults have enough sence to teach up and coming hunters the true aspects of hunting, ethics and woodsmanship when given the chance too because if this is how the future generations of hunters learn the sport, we are screwed.

20-Sep-14

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Isn't this the McMillan guy????

20-Sep-14
In most scenarios and setups, mechanically, 85 yds is too far. But, what is the diference between a bad placed shot at 85 yds vs. 32 yds? Some people have issues making good shots at close ranges aka "I hit him a little far back so we'll back out and come back in the morning"...

I would submit that if everyone's sense of ethics were the same then forums like 'Bowsite.com' would be a pretty boring place.

20-Sep-14
Wow, another "I saw an idiot on TV," "they're bad for bowhuntng," "It's time for everybody to bitch and rant and pile on."

There, now we can all feel better about ourselves. :-)

I have enough problems worrying about the shots I take, let alone those taken by others.

I rarely shoot past 30yards, but I have some misses and a few arrows in 40-plus seasons I wish I'd never released from the string.

My biggest concern is me.

20-Sep-14
Well don't they make a site that you can just dial to the yardage and your on? he must not of heard about that site! I think it takes you out to 200 yards, well I'm sure he'll have it for next year, he just needs to read more mags and watch more hunting shows himself and then he'll be able to make that shot.

20-Sep-14
I don't watch much hunting tv these days. Too fictional anymore.

McMillan was a decent show when it was all moose hunting up north. That was a long time ago.

Anymore I'd rather watch Sons of Anarchy instead. All the shots are at reasonably close range. lol

20-Sep-14
Well if we don't talk about it, it will keep happening. I for one am tired of these idiots that think it's cool to take long shots. There is a responsability when your on tv and they don't care.

20-Sep-14
Archery is about how close you can get to an animal not how far you can shoot.

20-Sep-14
Wrong McMillan Mule Power. This McMillan is a deer hunting outfitter out of Kansas that a lot of country singers hunt with. He went to Colorado on a guided elk hunt and took an 85 yard shot and missed the bull by about 10 feet.

LBshooter ^^^ That's right !! ^^^

20-Sep-14
Mule Power and I were thinking about the same guy.... McMillan River? Don't think I've seen this other one.....

never mind......

21-Sep-14
I stand corrected. The McMillan from the Yukon was a good show. All big moose in the Yukon. No wonder I thought the show wet downhill. I was thinking man... these guys really sold out.

21-Sep-14
I agree if you dont have a pin and dont practice that distnace you shouldnt shoot..

As for guys saying thats to far on a live animal that is a silly point. Bc a animal can move at any distace.. An animal moving is somthing that the hunter cannot control.. A animal at 40 yards may drop like crazy.. But is that to far of a shot?? while an animal at 85 may not move at all.. The amount that a animal moves after the shot is something we cannot control.. So saying its unethical at one distance and not at another is silly

21-Sep-14
I think the point is more like at the longer distances your arrow is losing trajectory fast. It's arcing downward and so knowing the exact range is way more critical. So you should be using a rangefinder and.... have a dang pin for that distance so you know what the heck you're doing! Otherwise it's what we call a Hail Mary.

21-Sep-14
What a jerk! Who does he think he is? Fred Bear or Howard Hill?

21-Sep-14
my guess is we would be amazed at the number of congratulations we offer on this site and others to to hunters who post details of animals that were taken down with hail mary's but written up as something far different.

• Sitka Gear