JLS 04-Oct-14
cityhunter 04-Oct-14
cityhunter 05-Oct-14
danny.a 05-Oct-14
danny.a 05-Oct-14
Ron Niziolek 05-Oct-14
19-Sep-14

Norseman's Link
Be carefull out there all you elk hunters heading into Griz/bear country. Attack happened north of Dubois-cub creek area. An area I have been in before.

http://www.ktvq.com/news/fatal-bear-attack-confirmed-in-wyoming/

19-Sep-14
That's a Shame!

Ole Thumper

19-Sep-14
Prayers sent for the young man and his family.

19-Sep-14
That's just south of Yellowstone National Park. That's grizzly territory.

19-Sep-14

Jim in PA's Link
Another hunter was killed the other day in NWT. No details yet as to who the outfitter or hunter was just that it occurred SW of Norman Wells

19-Sep-14
victim was working for USFW. Unarmed and no pepper spray.

19-Sep-14
Crazy it's not policy to have spray. This one is on his supervisor!

20-Sep-14
He was working for a private company that was contracted by the USFW. First problem is they sent him alone. Then he was asked by people at Brooks lake to take bear spear and he declined.

20-Sep-14
Who goes into griz country without a gun or spray? That's to bad and prayers sent out for his family.

20-Sep-14
Amazingly sad story, prayers sent!

21-Sep-14
Wow! I've just spent 17 days hunting 20 miles west of Dubois (and I plan on spending a lot more time there until I get my moose). Pepper spray is on my hip.

21-Sep-14
Just finished guiding not far from there. The helicopters for the search messed up a couple of hunts. He apparently came upon two deer carcasses. I pack pepper spray and a shotgun. Might had made a difference for him. USFS should have required spray and employee work in pairs in the contract.

21-Sep-14

DanJ's Link
Another hunter killed around our area. He was known by many as a regular in the zone. They ruled not to kill the bears as it was defensive...

01-Oct-14
Tom, did you ever have any griz sightings when you were there? I didn't.

01-Oct-14
oh yeah. Mostly tracks and scat here and there. My hunting partner in 2009 had a griz come by at 30 yards. Lots of wolf tracks too.

01-Oct-14
Damn that hits close to home. Hunted near Dubois last yr with dad and have hunted grizz country 3 hunts now in the past 13 months, dragging my brother and my dad in there and will again next yr.

We need a goddam season already!

It's little to do with the few tags and much to do with instilling the fear of man back into these animals. How many people have to die? It's nothing short of a lack of appreciation of human life and a worship of animals that has prevented the proper management of grizzlies in the lower 48.

02-Oct-14
IdyllwildArcher X2.

Whether it's Bears, Wolves, or Mountain Lions, all the problems we are having with them are caused by management directed by popular vote from ignorant Dysnified city dwellers or their political lackeys. Gone are the days when wildlife management policy is directed by science, for the benefit humans and a balanced approach for wildlife.

02-Oct-14
This situation is tragic, but not necessarily problematic. I agree that grizzly numbers are likely sufficient to allow hunts. If so, let's work to open it up.

Regardless, be reminded that we are the apex predator, but not the only predator in the wilds. We are not the strongest or most adapted predator in the wild. We should be the smartest. If we choose to enter the wilds void of artificial strength (firearms or pepper seasoning) then we are choosing to forego our intelligent advantage. The result is a gamble.

Condolences to the family. No hard feelings towards wild grizzlies.

02-Oct-14

Who goes into griz country without a gun or spray?

A corpse! :(

02-Oct-14
x2 Dooner's statement

02-Oct-14
I was hunting just north of there about a week after this occured. Lots of wolves(ruined the hunt in fact) but I didnt see any Grizz, not that they weren't around. I can't imagine being in that area without some sort of defense. Condolences to the family.

02-Oct-14
More and more people are entering grizzly areas. Many feel safe because they've never really encountered a grizzly up close and personal. Being unprepared for an encounter borders on stupidity. Anyone that chooses to travel into grizzly country without some sort of defensive protection (bear pepper spray or a firearm) are just plain risking their lives. Plain stupidity.

02-Oct-14
Yikes! I was told to buy spray when I get out there in a week and a half. Gonna do that, does that stuff work?? Wasn't planning oh bringing a gun.

Bill V.

02-Oct-14
Declining offered pepper spray when venturing into grizzly country is foolish. Not that he in any way deserved to die, but he obviously was not educated very well on the potential risks of travel through grizzly country.

I live in the Kootenay region of BC, and we have lots of grizzlies. In fact I've been charged twice while hunting. Still, many hikers (mostly Europeans - Germans, specifically), neglect to carry bear spray. They just don't appreciate the risk, small though it may be.

02-Oct-14
sad I hunt alone and pack elk out alone in WY I hunted last week till dark had to walk out in blk of night my bow is over my back my 454 is in my hand ready to rock and roll . ive been charged once and was lucky had no gun then , on the way out my head lamp caught two pairs of beady eyes I said ok get ready I thought sow and cub yikes !!! but was only deer with a fawn LOL .

If I ever come across a dead deer in grizz area I would vacate area ASAP once a bear takes claim it will defend at all cost. no bull elk is worth the encounter .

04-Oct-14
Was in the same area 2 weeks ago only a few miles away and seen a griz while archery elk hunting thankfully he was about a mile away!!!

04-Oct-14
Pepper Spray and/or a gun is the bare minimum Were in their domain and sometimes we screw with their territory. You have to be smart, were calling for Elk and they think its food, keep that pepper spray ready at all times.

04-Oct-14
Bill- When I hunted WY Bighorn country (area 1) both of my guides had Mossberg pumps unplugged and loaded w/ 00 buckshot...and never went anywhere W/O 'em!

04-Oct-14
What size pistol you carry with you in grizz ccountry?

04-Oct-14
city,

I stumbled across a cached deer carcass in the Scapegoat Wilderness in Montana one year. Talk about a sick to your stomach feeling! I had my M70 .338-06 with me, and I quickly got the hell out of there.

04-Oct-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
U guys can say all u want about what is the best weapon to carry in Grizz country .. My choice is 454 or 500 , Yes shotgun would be great but how can a bowhunter carry that !! Always carry your gun never lay it down esp while working on your kill ! I heard a horror story while back guy was attacked and being dragged by the bear!!! hunter was able to get his gun from holster and shoot the bear I think it was a 10 mm which took many rounds to dispatch it .

05-Oct-14
the above bear tracks were made from a bear about 24 hrs after I killed a bull . No bear sign in area before . This bear walked right to the spot I skull capped the elk ! I assume bear then went to carcass a half mile away !

05-Oct-14
WHEN WE RETURNED TO RETRIEVE THE HANGING QUARTERS OF MY BUDDY'S BULL IN THE GRAVELLYS LAST MONTH THIS IS HOW THE CARCASS LOOKED, i WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH ANY HEAT, WE WERE ON HIGH ALERT [URL=http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/arnoldriver/media/grizzfood_zpsca7aeb07.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/arnoldriver/grizzfood_zpsca7aeb07.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

05-Oct-14

danny.a's embedded Photo
danny.a's embedded Photo

05-Oct-14
Bill, get some spray in Cody and give me a call when you get here. 307-899-6181.

• Sitka Gear