Florida Mike 02-Oct-14
WapitiBob 02-Oct-14
elkocd 20-Oct-14
BlisteredHooves 20-Oct-14
David A. 21-Oct-14
ORarcheryboy 21-Oct-14
Mountain sheep 21-Oct-14
29-Sep-14
I had a great hunting plan for the rut this season in Easter Oregon.... Moon was right, it was that last of the season so it should have been cooler than previous years that have been in the 90's, the rut should have happened around the 23rd... given 5 days either side of the 23rd.... But nothing.... virtually no rut.. I hunted 8 days and I heard two bulls on one morning and that was it... I did manage to get one of those bulls in to 25 feet, but he didn't see the cows I was advertising so he backed out from behind the trees that were between us stopping my shot...

But that was it.... I did see 2-wolves the next day... there were zero deer... of any kind. They were non-existent, and for a unit that is usually think with deer, it was weird.

I am done with Oregon for Bow Hunting... I'll still put in for the Wenaha because I have 13 points, but I won't hunt here until I draw that tag and then it's really over.

What I will be doing is trying to do research and go out of state... Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona... I will try to pick the as many brains on this site as I can as to how to get started.... I don't know anyone who hunts there, I don't have a partner that can go and I want to do this DIY if I can... might have to hire a guide but whatever... it'll all be worth it just to not have to deal with this place anymore...

Any suggestions on how to start would be appreciated...

Thanks Guys!

30-Sep-14
That's the same basic report I got from my brothers from their yearly Oregon hunt. I was born and raised there, moved to AK 5 years ago and moving back to Oregon/Washington here in the coming months.

Terrible was the theme of their hunt. Our plan is to head to other states from here on out. What I fear is that while Oregon and other areas get worse, and more guys opt for other hunts. More places will get harder to draw and/or more crowded. Oregon is in the crapper big time.

30-Sep-14
I know of three different groups that hammered them this year in a unit I never considered. Others complained of seeing nothing in the same unit. I went home early opening weekend because I kept bumping elk. Timing was key and for the most part, where I was the bugles were soft enough you wouldn't hear them at 200 yards.

You'll be in a walker before you draw wenaha.

30-Sep-14
The elk were pretty vocal where I was at until the wolves came. That pretty well shut'em up.

I left the area as well.

01-Oct-14
I was solo again and I did have one encounter.... all it would have taken was for the branches to be out of the way and for a broadside shot and I'd have had a great trip... Bottom line is there aren't enough animals here in Oregon.... sure a few have great spots that up the odds a little, or a guy get's real lucky and someone in their group stumbles onto a couple.... There are a few elk on the Coast, but most of that land is private and closed because... it's private and because of fire danger. Oregon is out of elk... but on another note... looks like wolves are doing good!

02-Oct-14
The best place to start when it comes to good elk hunting opportunity is becoming a resident of a non-coastal western state.

02-Oct-14
Oregon could be a top elk state in 10 yrs. if they had weapon restrictions as well as changes in the hunting regs that helped bulls to grow to maturity.

02-Oct-14
not sure I agree with David. Oregon could be better, but never a top elk state unless the others really go down hill.

Oregon lacks big roadless areas in comparison to other states. predator numbers are way too high.

choose your weapon would help. they ruin LE hunts by giving out spike only tags.

the population of big cats is out of control, and has been for more then a decade now. the uncontrolled spread of wolves has been added to the mix.

artichill has good advice.

02-Oct-14
Twojump, I tried Eastern Oregon a couple Seasons ago, after many successful Seasons in Colorado, just because it was closer to home.

I felt the same way as you after that hunt...it just seems that Oregon has designed their Season for a non-harvest. And as Elkhuntr mentions...too many roads and too much access. Pushes all the elk onto private lands.

I totally understand your frustration.

Went back to CO and filled my tag this Season. It may take you a couple of years to find a good area in ID, CO, WY, MT... but worth the drive in my opinion.

Best of Luck, Jeff

02-Oct-14
Oregon sucks! Please tell all your friends

02-Oct-14
First off, start banking points in certain states. Then start researching Montana, Colorado, Utah, and any state that offers OTC tags for cows or bulls. It seems you need to depend on that states F&G data more than asking advice from other Elk hunters. Goodluck, Mike

02-Oct-14
The unit I hunt in NM has more roads, houses, and elk than any unit I've been to in OR including wenaha. Roads aren't the problem.

20-Oct-14
I live in Oregon, but hunt out of state every year. Oregon has Bull/Cow MOs of 10/100 for most units. Many are below MO. That combined with lots of hunters in most units and you will not have a great vocal rut. I shot a 6 point 90mins into opening morning of the season and I have an opportunity at a mature bull every year in Oregon, but I never expect lots of vocal bulls. In Oregon you have to find pockets of unpressured elk in places that have OK bull/cow ratios. Lots of these places are not in the units with the most elk. We have lots of elk, but compared to other states with more bulls OR sucks. If you disagree you have not hunted out of OR much. I have hunted general areas in other states that BLOW AWAY most LE archery areas in Oregon. BTW I have never hunted one of the big 3 in OR and never will so my comments exclude these units.

20-Oct-14
Welcome to the club. Idaho has been the prime wolf breeding grounds but all good things spread out.

21-Oct-14
Sure it's fixable, start with limited draw units and weapon restrictions in a handful of units.

21-Oct-14
Too many tags.

21-Oct-14
Don't bother with Az. It's overrated, that narrows it down to Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming.

• Sitka Gear