Well-Strung 02-Feb-15
Bullnbowcell 12-Feb-15
Dreaming Big 18-Feb-15
AZBUGLER 18-Feb-15
BR Stinger 19-Feb-15
elkmtngear 19-Feb-15
Jack Harris 20-Feb-15
04-Oct-14
This is a little long winded so bare with me.

I think I found bowsite 3-4 years ago while in school. Ever since I have read and posted on a regular basis. Two years ago after reading about countless elk hunts, I decided an elk hunt was something I NEEDED to do. So myself along with my brother and a friend began planning a hunt for 2013 for Colorado. We decided on doing a public land OTC hunt. I dove in head first buying gear and studying maps. September rolled around and we were headed West from Wisconsin. Colorado greeted us with closed interstates, detours, and biblical flooding. Weather ended that trip early but not without multiple encounters with elk and lots of lessons learned. On the drive back east I knew I would be back in the mountains next September come hell or high water.

04-Oct-14
don't give up.

04-Oct-14
Long story short I ended up deciding to hunt Montana hoping high license prices and Grizzly bears would steer some competition to other states. I didn't want to be greeted with 42 other vehicles at the trailhead like in Colorado.

Due to my brother closing on his first home and our buddy drawing a resident bear tag here in WI, I was headed out solo. So when September rolled around I was prepared both physically and mentally. (Or so I thought)

I'm going to include quite a few pics and if you recognize anything please keep it to yourself. This is a general unit, public land and I was going after my first elk.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Truck loaded and ready to head West in the morning.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
What my drive looked like from South Dakota to Eastern Wyoming

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
I made it to sheridan Wyoming the first day. When I awoke this is what I saw.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Montana Buffalo

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Nice goat

04-Oct-14
The first day I arrived in Montana I decided to drive to my plan a, b, and c locations. having never steeped foot in Montana before I did all my shooting via Google Earth. With everything being snow covered I opted to stay in town the first night as to not get all of my gear soaked the first day.

04-Oct-14
Wow!!! That road is banked more than a nascar track... :)

Ok keep the posts and story coming from start to end.. Love these posts.. eD

04-Oct-14
I hit the trail head bright and early on the 12th and was pleasantly surprised to see a raghorn chasing a cow and calf across the trail in front of me. I made a set up but to no avail. Little did I know how nice it would have been to have a caller with me in the coming days. I hiked to a high point and started glassing. I saw herds of elk but they were all WAY up high. With old rut sign in the timber I could only hope that they would push down in time.

04-Oct-14
Don't worry about being long winded. Lots of us on here like that! Just adds to the story.

Keep it coming!

04-Oct-14
Awesome, Keep it coming. I am house bound today so this will keep it interesting.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
That night I drove to my plan b spot hoping to find more "huntable" elk. I was greeted with 2 spikes walking through camp as I boiled water for my oatmeal the next morning. Soon I headed to a huge North facing timbered slope with high hopes. Lots of sign but nothing fresh. As I sat down for lunch I heard the unmistakable howl of a wolf across the valley. By the time I finished my trail mix there was a pack of them going wild just around the mountain from me. Soon I was literally surrounded by wolves howling within 100 yards making the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I thought about how the elk probably vacated the area as I hiked back to camp. Thinking about the elk from the day before, I realized I needed to get back there and be patient. Lots of elk and no pressure. What more do I want?

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
I camped at the truck that night but was awoke at 4 am to the drone of a diesel engine coming up the road. A guy and gal unloaded their horses and headed into the valley that I planned on hunting. I decided to head add high as I could and just glass all day. After a hike from hell, I wad seeing elk before I could even dig my binoculars out of my pack. Hard to see in the pic, but there is a herd bedded in the sun. 7 or 8 cows and one BIG bull. I Watched them for a while and decided to make a play. Probably a 4 hour hike to get to where they were. I got to where I had last seen the herd and let out a few cow calls. Immediate response below me. I ran ahead while his cows were making a racket. I mewed a few more times and he cut me off but this time he was close. I slipped towards him until I could hear him breaking limbs. There he was. 40 yards and closing. He had 6 on each side with a huge front end. I ranged lanes in front of him but he decided to cut back behind me. With no time to range I guessed him at 30 and let drive. I Watched the arrow hit way to high and wondered how I didn't hit spine. Turns out he was only 26 yards, but with such a steep downhill shot I should have taken a few years off that. I Watched him go up and over the next Ridge. No blood on entrance, but when he switchback ed up the hill I saw a wet spot on the exit side. Left and right was good. Just too damn high. I hoped for the offside lung, but I truly believe I was above the spine. I backed out and would come back in the morning.

04-Oct-14
Long story short I spent the next two days grid searching and looking for any sign. I found one big elk trail leaving the general area he was last headed to and followed that. About 1 mile from shot I found a spot of blood. The size of a rasin. I found 3 more spots of blood of similar size over the next half mile.

Some may chastise me for this, but I truly believe I didn't puta lethal arrow in him and decided NOT to punch my tag.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
A little about my set up. I'm shooting an elite energy 35. Pulling 82 pounds. The e 35 is pushing a FMJ cut at 30.5". Up front is a 75 grain brass insert behind a 125 grain shuttle t lock black ops. Finished arrow weight is 598 grains. 98 pounds and change of kinetic energy.

04-Oct-14
Gotta go to a wedding. Hopefully I can get some more up between ceremony and reception.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
On the way off the mountain after the second day of looking for the bull I came across a mature Mule deer doe. With a tag in my pack, I told myself if i could get within bow range of her i would take her. I snuck to 35 yards of the lone doe and put a perfect double lung shot on her. I needed that boost of confidence and I wasn't going back to Wisconsin empty handed.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Being close to 3 miles from the truck, it was good experience deboning an animal for the first time on a mountain. I got her in game bags and fit her in my Kifaru and took her off the mountain in one trip.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Cooling down the deer while I took a break.

04-Oct-14
Loving this thread so far...

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
I was in elk constantly everyday for the next three days. Many close encounters but no shots presented themselves. One of those days I Shadowed the herd and literally heard hundreds and hundreds of bugles within 100 yards of me. A day I won't soon forget.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Little did I know what September 20th would bring as I hiked up the all to familiar trail illuminated by my headlamp. Not long after daylight I was chasing a nasty sounding bugle up the mountain. I soon found myself flanking 5 or 6 cows with the bull bugling ahead of me about 75 yards. I'm still not sure what I did wrong with this set up but I slipped in between the bull and his cows and let out a few mews. The big 6x6 with almost white antlers that I was all to familiar with at this point came down towards me bugling to within 45 yards. But just like that he looked down towards his cows and disappeared over the hill. I circled above to where i thought they were headed and waited. With no sign of the elk and at least four more bulls bugling in the next drainage, I put the 6 point on the back burner and headed in after the fired up bulls. I followed the closest bugle down a lightly timbered hillside with the wind in my face. At one point coming to full draw on a raghorn, but he never offered me a shot. As I slipped lower and lower I could see a big six point harassing some cows in a small opening on the adjacent hillside. Steam poured from his nostrils every time he bugled. Still I was focused on the bull bugling directly below me. Soon I could see antler tips moving at about 50 yards. I still don't know if he was wallowing, making a rub or just feeding. I lost sight of him as I closed the distance. Add I peered around a small Spruce I was shocked to see him bedded slightly quartering towards me, but all of his attention focused on a bull going wild just downhill from us. The rangefinder said just over 24 yards but no shot.

04-Oct-14
Good story so far

04-Oct-14
Awesome hunt so far

04-Oct-14
Now I don't know for certain why, but as the bull on the other side of the bedded bull broke limbs as he closed the distance, the bedded bull got up and walked towards me. He turned and went into a 10 got deep wash never presenting a shot. Now with the bull at 12 yards all I could see wad the top end of his rack as he slowly worked back up the mountain. I stayed with him for 40 yards or so before he knew something wasn't right. I stopped him with a cow call as he moved up the opposite bank. At 20 yards I let him have it. He was quartering away hard but level with me. The arrow disappeared about 4 inches behind the last rib and he crashed away. Seconds later I heard what had to be him choking on his blood. Did this really just happen?

04-Oct-14
Second elk hunt ever, solo DIY in a state you've never been to, and into elk daily. I'd say your trip was an outstanding success no matter how this turns out! Keep it coming!

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Bulls were still bugling all around me as i waited. I slowly slipped up to where i last saw him and was greeted with this sight.

04-Oct-14
Wow! Congratulations! !! What a fantastic hunt!

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Being alone in the heart of Grizzly country i snapped some pics and quickly got to work on him. Deboning went way smoother than I thought it would. As I deboned, one of the bulls hind quarters was badly blood shot and bruised. I think that he may have gotten beat up earlier and wanted nothing to do with the other bull. I moved meat and head up hill of the carcass and started the long trip back to the truck. Probably 3.5 miles as the crow flies. I took one rear quarter and one front quarter on my first trip.

04-Oct-14
Wow ! Great story, good pics...

04-Oct-14
Great story and a great DIY SOLO hunt ! Congratulations !

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
With temps dropping into the 30's overnight I left the meat hang. My plan was to hit the trail real early the next morning to beat packing meat during the heat of the day. As I made my way across the first Creek crossing I looked up to see the unmistakable head and glowing eyes of a bear standing in the trail at a mere 30 yards. I hollared and it didn't budge. With a bloody pack I retreated and waited for daylight. The meat was just as I left it and I took another load of rear quarter, front quarter, abs neck meat off the mountain. My third and final trip consisted of skull, tenderloins, and back straps.

04-Oct-14
Wow that was an awesome hunt! Congrats on a great bull. Thanks for sharing.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
What a feeling as i headed back towards town.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
I celebrated by myself as I got back to the motel. I had to wait until the following morning to get my deer meat out of the butchers freezer. I had lots of time to reflect on the hunt as I headed back east.

04-Oct-14
Awesome story. Kyle that pack out must of been a heavy one. Congrats.

04-Oct-14

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
I really couldn't imagine an elk hunt going better than this one did. It was everything I was looking for in a DIY solo backcountry type hunt. I want to thank everybody who supported me and wished me luck out there. And to the people who doubted me saying i will never get it done solo, they can go pound sand.

I will be back next year, but I havea feeling others will join this time.

Thanks for reading

04-Oct-14
Congratulations Bro!

04-Oct-14
"And to the people who doubted me saying i will never get it done solo, they can go pound sand."

You had a wonderful trip, had great experiences, were privileged to kill a bull, and you add this? Why?

I don't know everything in life and will never profess to. However, I simply don't understand the "in your face" mentality that seems to have taken root in the hunting culture. My hunt is about my experience and nothing more. I don't care who I prove anything to, because it's not about that.

Again, congratulations on your bull.

04-Oct-14
Pretty cool. Congrats on a great hunt! Great story!

And thanks for taking us along.

04-Oct-14
Very nice bull! Don't let others influence your personal hunting experience! It's only about you! C

04-Oct-14
Congrats! Mike

04-Oct-14
"And to the people who doubted me saying i will never get it done solo, they can go pound sand.

"You had a wonderful trip, had great experiences, were privileged to kill a bull, and you add this? Why?"

Exactly...why make a comment like this. Let me show you how its done.

And for everyone who said I couldn't do this...SUCK ROPE!!! HDYLMK

04-Oct-14
Congratulations. Enjoyed the pics and story.

04-Oct-14
But was is a true DIY ??

Just kidding.

Kyle, I'm really impressed with what you did. Next year will be my first elk bowhunt, DIY, but not solo, I'm going with a friend. I don't expect the success you had, but I will try.

04-Oct-14
Very nice and congrats. I wish more folks would write about the hunt. Chalk another bull up for Wisconsin

04-Oct-14
Congrats on a really nice bull, and what had to be a wonderful experience.

Excellent write up and pics as well, thank you for sharing it.

04-Oct-14
Well done. Congrats.

04-Oct-14
Kyle I do not post very often but I could not hold myself back. Congrats on an excellent hunt that was sucessfull and you enjoyed yourself. As for TBM comments I have to agree with him 100% as he did it his way like you and got it done. I live in elk country and try and hunt when I draw a tag the same as you so don't let anybody take your joy from your hunt away. Revel in the moment and welcome to ranks of elk hunters. We look forward to your insight on next years post for DIY hunters. Dave

04-Oct-14
great story,great hunt!

04-Oct-14
Thanks for the pics and story really enjoyed it. Pulling 82 pounds, my shoulder would be shot.

04-Oct-14
Wow. You did great! congrats on putting in the effort to go and chase your dream. I bet your friends were jealous they couldn't make it. I'm sure they've already said they're definitely going next year.

04-Oct-14
Congrats! Sounds like an awesome hunt. Thanks for sharing all the details and emotions that went along with. I think it's a hell of a feat for a NR to go solo and kill his first bull. WTG!!!

BP

04-Oct-14
Thanks for sharing. I'd like to hunt Montana sometime myself.

04-Oct-14
Congrats kylet! Great hunt and pics!

05-Oct-14
Awesome hunt and job well done!

05-Oct-14
Very cool !!!

05-Oct-14
Congrats on a hugely successful hunt Kyle!

Great story and pics as well!

05-Oct-14
Kylet, younmigjt have got told you couldn't do it before hand but at least you didn't get told how easy it was and everybody has done it afterwards. Some of these same guys that are complementing you are Monday morning quarterbacks.

05-Oct-14
Great Job Kyle and alone no less, great accomplishment. Smart move on moving that elk in the tree's always carry those game bags and having all that awesome meat for yourself and not the bears.

05-Oct-14
GJ and grats

05-Oct-14
Where there is a will there is a way. Awesome job buddy. Congrats!

05-Oct-14
Nice work and congrats! Thanks for the story and pics!

05-Oct-14
Awesome story and great hunt! Congrats.

05-Oct-14
Persistance and a will go further than luck I believe. Congratulations.

05-Oct-14
Congrats Kyle.

05-Oct-14
Congrats brother. You did real good. God Bless

05-Oct-14
Congratulations! Thanks for taking us along on a great hunt. You did good.

05-Oct-14
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing your story great hunt!!!

05-Oct-14
Great hunt! Thanks for the story

05-Oct-14
Great hunt! Thanks for the story

05-Oct-14
Well done! Congratulations!

06-Oct-14
I like the title of the thread too. Bowsite is a great motivator. Great story!

06-Oct-14
Congrats on a great and hunt and thanks for sharing!

06-Oct-14
Congrats Kyle. The question is; do you want someone to go? I would question the integrity of someone telling you that you couldn't get it done and then wanting to come along after you had a great hunt.

Is it September yet??

06-Oct-14
Great story and Bull/Doe.

Awesome job!

06-Oct-14
Sweet, thanks for sharing!

06-Oct-14
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing, Some guys just seem to get it done and one of their strongest traits is the ability to stay focused and keep pushing on when the average hunter would give up. Congrats on a great bull, you earned it!

06-Oct-14
Nice bull and an awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing with us!

06-Oct-14
Great story! Songrats. I enjoy reading it and looking at the pics.

Who needs a stinking magazine subscription when we got bowsite?

06-Oct-14
Shucks just an average everyday elk hunt yawn you better always remember this one congrats Lewis

06-Oct-14
VERY WELL DONE! Way to make it happen! Congrats!

Mark

06-Oct-14
Congrats on a great hunt. Thanks for sharing

06-Oct-14
Nice

06-Oct-14
Nice going Why would anybody say u couldn't do it. ALL it takes is the Desire and Passion to get it done !

In life there are many that sit on the sidelines and talk smack yet there are a few that get it done you did just that ...

Im glad u didn't let the lack of yr friends deter this trip .. I have learned if u wait for others to go hunting more then likely u wont be hunting much!!!!

Nice bull next time pack some heat in the grizz woods !!!! Louis

06-Oct-14
good going! nice bull,hope to be in Montana next fall!

08-Oct-14
Solo hunting n the wilderness is not for everyone, but those that do tend to find reward even in our failures. Mike

08-Oct-14
Nice! Thanks for posting

10-Oct-14
Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed it.

Just wanted to make it clear that the #1 reason I went on this hunt was for myself. I didn't go out there trying to prove anything to anyone. I wanted to push myself knowing that if I could handle the hunt, that would be a reward in itself. Being in elk and actually killing one made it that much sweeter.

MNbowhunter, yeah those loads were beasts. I've trained with 100 pound loads at home and these were considerably heavier. I had to get into my pack while sitting on the hillside and then stand.

Elk addict, I won't be taking those who doubted me. But rather my dad and brother who spoke nothing but encouragement.

City, You must have missed post about me shooting 82 pounds. Lol. But seriously I had a can of spray on one hip and a .45 acp on the other.

11-Oct-14
Great bull, congrats!

29-Jan-15
As my big toe nail fell off the other night I was reminded again of the pack out. I couldn't help but smile.

Best of luck this September

30-Jan-15
Hey Kylet...what's your plan for this coming elk season?

PS I reckon your set up was shooting c.270 fps to generate 98 ft/lb KE; is that bout right?

30-Jan-15
Great story and nice Elk, congratulations!

01-Feb-15
Barty I'm drawing a whitetail tag in southern Iowa this year so that's where I'm focusing first. If the funds are there I will go back to Montana on a general tag.

Yup I believe the ol elite is shooting right at 270.

01-Feb-15
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share the story and the pictures. I really did enjoy it immensely! Congratulations as well on a trophy of an experience!

02-Feb-15
Great story and great outcome. Way to stick with it and pull it off. You are going to come down with Elk fever now though.

12-Feb-15
amazing. just amazing. Ive lived in and hunted montana for 13 years and can hardly say ive experienced more than you did in a few days. Incredible job and well done in so many ways. the only thing I would suggest is when you tell us your story is going to be long winded... make it so!!!!!! for 2015 we want details! nice job

18-Feb-15
Great story. I just came across this!

18-Feb-15
Nice! Way to go! I'm thinking about doing a similar hunt in the next year or two. I'm tired of growing old waiting for a chance to hunt in my home state! You've given me inspiration.

19-Feb-15
Awesome story. Congrats on a great bull. My first elk hunt was also 2013 in CO and was a complete washout as well. Hopefully my second one goes something like yours.

19-Feb-15
Must have missed this post Season...great write up!

Can't imagine doing 3 1/2 mile trips in 3 loads...that is strong work!

Best of Luck, Jeff

20-Feb-15
I just read this all the way through. This is what makes Bowsite great. I am beyond impressed with how you put this together, your execution of the plan, and how you shared the story with us. BRAVO - and huge congratulations on a nice bull and the mulie doe.

When someone your age can inspire someone "50" - you did a great job!

Something tells me - we will be reading your stories for many years to come.

Again - a very refreshing read and is the antithesis to a lot of the egotistical crap we endured on here for the last year.

• Sitka Gear