Trophy8 19-Oct-14
Phil Magistro 19-Oct-14
bb 19-Oct-14
Twanger 20-Oct-14
tradmt 20-Oct-14
Sapcut 21-Oct-14
10-Oct-14

Russell's Link
Watched an interesting video testing the trajectory affects using different arrow point weights shot from 35 yards.

Got me rethinking about FOC % and much higher point weights.

Thoughts?

10-Oct-14
This topic has been beaten to death on the Leatherwall with little give on either side. Overall arrow weight, along with many other factors, plays a role in penetration. In my experience, most compound shooters are not shooting 10 gpp where most stickbow shooters seem to shoot around that weight. How the weight is distributed may benefit penetration but in most discussions penetration isn't an issue on deer-sized game.

As far as trajectory and effectiveness, Larry Hatfield has spent most of his life designing, building and shooting bows (He designed Howatt bows). He has extensive experience with flight shooting and holds or held many records. I can't speak for him but if anyone wants to do a search on the Leatherwall (larryhatfield) and read his comments I believe you'll find that he has never needed extreme FOC or extreme arrow weight for all the game he has killed, which is more than most of us will ever kill. He credits total arrow weight - 10-12gpp - and 12-14% FOC as being very effective.

10-Oct-14
I agree 100 % with Mr. Phil

10-Oct-14
Talk about a blast from the past! Phil! Where have ya been man? I thought you got excommunicated or sent to Africa to POLICE the forums there! Its good to see you posting again! Just take it easy on the censuring...LOL! Mike

11-Oct-14
10-12 gr total arrow weight? So like 280-300gr? Surely you jest.

11-Oct-14
SDHNTR, Phil wrote 10-12gpp-(grains per pound)that would be of bow weight, not gpi

11-Oct-14
If being "effective" is all you want then....look how many harp on the indians primitive gear being "effective".

12-14% MAY be effective if hitting the animal in the perfect spot but that does not mean, in any way, that 12-14% is the MOST effective nor the best way of building arrows. It can and does get better than that.

12-Oct-14
IMO, it really doesn't tell you anything about FOC.

To find out if FOC is a factor in trajectory you need to have two arrows of the same weight with one being front loaded.

Its trickier than it sounds to get 2 arrows of the same weight that are TUNED TO THE BOW; one with 12-14% FOC and another with 20% plus FOC

12-Oct-14
Beendare, you are correct. His logic and methodology is very similar to Ashby's.....half baked.

12-Oct-14
So the same arrow was properly spined for a 100 and a 315 gr head? Did I miss something?

I find this guy a bit hard to watch but I will defend Ashby's study when it comes to broadhead design and I will say that I think there is at least some merit to EFOC. Just look at the problems 70# compound guys can have with penetration on a whitetail and then do a search on Leatherwall on 'Kingwouldbe' and look at the penetration he gets with a stickbow on VW size hogs. Maybe its just the weight of the arrow or the broadhead design, don't really know but EFOC theory does make sense to me.

12-Oct-14
If the tests are true that was shown on the video by ABS and I have every reason to believe they are.....regarding trjectory, why on earth would a compound shooter NOT use the 200 grain point versus a 100 grain point?

Also, if adding another 100 grains DID show the arrow to be untuned then it would create more resistance thru the air and have every reason to have even more drop, hitting lower than the video shows.

So what is the case for NOT shooting 100 grains more as shown in the video?

12-Oct-14
Would repeated real life experience trump a video?

12-Oct-14
No, not based on the videos objective.

12-Oct-14
Compound bows and trad bows are sufficiently dynamically different to be treated as two separate subjects.

Though both are "vehicles", 3/4 ton pick-ups and Ferrari's are vastly different in many aspects of performance and required equipment. You can't argue against being hit by either will kill you, but you could argue forever about the optimum speed either would need before it is overkill.

What may be a benefit for a trad bow may well be a detriment to a compound shooter and vice-versa. And I know TBM and few others will vehemently disagree, but there is NO need for a compound shooter, hunting NA game, to shoot a 700 grain arrow including a 200 grain+ broad head. Not even for giant moose or brown bears.

It's little wonder this gets beat to death with nothing ever settled. You simply cannot interchange trad and compound characteristics as if they are the same.

12-Oct-14
I have 90 gr Muzzys, 130 grain Muzzy's 125 grain VPA and 150 grain VPA. I can interchange them on the same arrows, (Stiff shafts) shoot them all out to 30 yards without having to adjust my sights, they all impact very close to each other. So I agree with that aspect of the video. However, my most consistent groupings over a range of conditions come with the 90 grain. I have shot that broad head through hundreds of big game animals, including a Moose and an Elk Scapula. FOC is a non issue and doesnt enter the though process. At the end of the day, consistent accuracy is most important.

12-Oct-14
"..but there is NO need for a compound shooter, hunting NA game, to shoot a 700 grain arrow including a 200 grain+ broad head."

Regardless of "need", which is another conversation, what is a reason NOT to use a 700 grain arrow out of a high performances compound bow. Why not? ....after all, we just saw on video the heavier arrow dropping everso slightly out to 35 yards. So what is a reason to NOT use a heavier better penetrating arrow?

12-Oct-14
"So what is a reason to NOT use a heavier better penetrating arrow?"

There is no need [reason] not to with close range trad gear.

But for compound shooters that hunt a variety of species under different conditions there are a number of legitimate reasons not to. If you can't imagine what some of them might be, then you really shouldn't be discussing compound bows.

12-Oct-14
Shoot a properly spined fmj that tuned and your good for anything that walks on this continent! This applies to compound shooters

12-Oct-14
There are those that base their personal opinions and preferences on those real life experiences that bb referred to. On the flip side, there are those that base their personal opinion and preferences on something they read in a book. IMO, one has credibility, the other does not.

Sapcut, you shoot trad gear but somehow feel qualified to give advice to those that shoot compounds. With that in mind, please answer two questions.

1). I shoot a compound bow set at 67#, with a 26 1/2" DL. Please tell me what I need to do to get to your magic 700 grain arrow.

2). When you come up with the answer to question #1, please tell me why in the hell anyone in their right mind would want to do so?

12-Oct-14
As with a lot of things, there is a middle ground. I agree with carcus...a FMJ with moderate head and FOC gets you plenty of weight as well as speed for great penetration. Any radical deviation in either direction is going to underperform at some point. speed, penetration, loft, etc

12-Oct-14
Correct, I shoot a recurve but I am not giving advice on what a compounder should do.

Wyobullshooter, as you can plainly see in my above post, I am asking the question...why NOT shoot a 700 grain arrow?.... based on the video posted showing only a slight drop in trajectory out to 35 yards.

After you kindly answer my first question I have another one while you're at it. Why do you avoid answering the question with defensive questions of your own?

To answer yours...

1) Not positive if would shoot well from your bow but here's my educated guess....GT Big Game 100 shaft 27.5 inches = 290 gr., nock and feathers= 20 gr., 150 gr. insert/adapter 190 gr. MeatHead and 50 grain footing= approx. 700 grains.

2) Because 700 grains is much less fond of stopping when moving at a pretty darn high rate of speed that a compound bow contraption is likely to produce.

12-Oct-14
" Why doesn't compound shooters use 700 grain arrows?" The reason is that the compound market has been and is driven by arrow speed. Speed sales bows. Speed is the reason that overdraws were invented. Then advancements in technology allowed bows to get the same speed without overdraws. Penetration was never the driving force as it was always adequate and not an issue. Look at any bow add, right up front is the speed. A few years back ,manufactures wanted around 9 grains per inch before they warranted a bow . The problem was that none of their pro shooters would shoot over 6 grains per inch, to them it was all about trajectory. The bow companies eventually gave in. The reason compound shooters shoot liter weight arrows is because of marketing. Traditional shooters with lower draw weights on average have had to keep the focus on penetration.

12-Oct-14
Ambush, tell that to this fella. God Bless

12-Oct-14
This one is even better. There are no negatives in a heavy, properly tuned arrow out of a compound. None. This is bowhunting, not a 100 yard 3D shoot. This video is even more convincing. God Bless

I'm an idiot. I had to edit to get the correct video!!!!!!!

12-Oct-14
"Correct, I shoot a recurve but I am not giving advice on what a compounder should do."

"...regarding trajectory, why on earth would a compound shooter NOT use the 200 grain point versus a 100 grain point."

"...what is a reason NOT to use a 700 grain arrow out of a high performances compound bow?"

Sounds like advice to me. Again, I'll ask the question...what makes you think you're qualified to give advice to those that shoot compounds? BTW, my questions weren't defensive at all. Just interested in trying to understand your radical point of view.

I certainly don't want to be accused of avoiding your questions, so I'll answer as best I can.

1.) "Not positive if would shoot well from your bow but here's my educated guess..."

Sorry, but you'll have to do better than that. If you're not positive it would shoot well from my bow, why in the world would I shoot a 704 grain arrow just for the sake of shooting a 704 grain arrow? Short answer...I wouldn't.

It may come as a shock, but there are people that actually take shots beyond 35 yds. Those of us that actually hunt also realize that you don't always have the luxury of using a rangefinder. Misjudge an animal at 45 yds by a few yds, shooting a 700 grain arrow, and, at best, you have a miss. At worse, you have a wounded animal. Thanks but no thanks.

2.) "Because 700 grains is much less fond of stopping when moving at a pretty darn high rate of speed that a compound contraption is likely to produce."

Hit 'em where you're supposed to with a 450 grain arrow and you don't have to worry about it stopping. Contrary to your opinion, a heavy arrow isn't a cure-all for a piss poor shot, which seems to be your justification for using a needlessly heavy arrow.

My hunting buddy shot a bull elk many years ago. He was shooting an xx75 2219 shaft with a 160 grain Thunderhead. His draw length is 29 1/2" and he was puling 74#. Don't know what his KE or momentum was, but it was significant. He pulled his shot a few inched forward, and hit the scapula. The BH snapped off at the insert. The next day this same bull was observed chasing cows around a meadow. Although he had a small blood stain on his shoulder, he didn't have so much as a limp. So much for the "heavy will make up for a lack of accuracy" theory.

13-Oct-14
If you don't need it than fine. I don't. My trad arrows are in the 600 grain range depending on the bow. Some heavier, some lighter. All in the 9 to 10 gpp category. My compound setup is 510. I get complete pass through's a good bit of the time. Almost always with a compound when I used to hunt with one. But, if I ever go back, I definitely keep these videos in mind. No disadvantages in shooting a 9-10 gpp arrow out of a modern compound. Only pluses.

FWIW, I call BS on huge drop off at hunting ranges between a light or heavy arrow. I've done it testing. It just isn't that much difference out to 40, 50, 60 yards between a 6.5 gpp arrow and a 9 or 10 gpp arrow out of a modern compound. It isn't needed for deer no doubt but sure would help a lot of guys on tougher game. God Bless

13-Oct-14
I have a great amount of respect and admiration for trad guys that actually hunt successfully with there chosen equipment. It takes skill, patience, persistence and the discipline to let animals walk. I'm not in that league.

So I'll just keep doing what has worked for me and let others do the same.

There is no pay off in these "debates". Just folks lobbing the same old, worn rocks back and forth. And possibly some of us have been conked on the coconut once too often.

13-Oct-14
Wyobullshooter, what I said are questions to you...not advice. Very simple questions. So best I can gather, your answer to my question of why NOT shoot a 700 grain arrow is basically....because you may misjudge your distance on longer shots creating a less accurate arrow.

Now what is so hard about just saying that in the first place rather than getting so defensive? BTW.... The 700 gr arrow that I suggested may actually tune well with your bow.

13-Oct-14
Ambush, there is no debate here. Although rather difficult, I am just trying to get real answers from compounders to a very simple question.

13-Oct-14
Lots of commentary....but no facts.

Test needs to compare arrows of the same weight but varying FOC...can anyone point me to that?

This guy is insinuating FOC has better trajectory but I have replicated his tests with my avg FOC arrows- not much of a difference in trajectory at archery ranges with a slightly heavier arrow [assuming you adjust the sight to the heavier arrow]

13-Oct-14

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
The reason I find the test intriguing is because at 35 yards the 175 and 200 grain tipped arrows hit only a couple inches lower than the 125 grain ones.

I’m shooting 125 grain points. Compare the 125 grain to the 175 and 200 grain broadheads, if they have nearly the same trajectory, I’ll consider those heavier, longer tapered points.

18-Oct-14
Beendare

I have shot 440gr arrows with an foc of 12% and an foc of 20% out to 80 yards out of my bows. There is no difference in trajectory, none. 12% foc arrows had 100gr heads, 20% foc arrows had 200grs up front. Now if you start increasing overall arrow weight, those arrows start hitting lower but I don't have to move sight pins until I've increased weight by 50grs, 25grs has no effect.

19-Oct-14
Correct. It is always the arrow's total weight that is the victim to gravity....not FOC.

19-Oct-14
Nothing more than someone trying to change the laws of physics.

19-Oct-14
It is physics and total weight, for the most part determines gravity's effect. Fletching plays a role too where large high-profile adds resistance and impacts trajectory.

But to the 4blades point, I don't know how a person easily changes from 12% to 20% FOC without changing total weight if you're using the same arrow.

19-Oct-14
Weight and spine

20-Oct-14
The only thing that affects trajectory is arrow speed. Arrows of the same weight and the same drag will have the same trajectory regardless of FOC IMO. FOC may affect penetration and accuracy but not trajectory all other things being equal.

20-Oct-14
Phil, it can be done easily by utilizing an aluminum shaft for the low foc and a carbon for the high foc.

21-Oct-14
Phil, it is quite simple to create an arrow with low FOC and high FOC with both having same total weight and shaft.

For the low FOC arrow just begin with adding weight throughout the shaft with tubes, rope, etc. Then with the high FOC arrow, substitute the weight throughout by adding the same weight up front.

Yea, yea....I know what's next. "But then both arrows cannot be tuned for the same bow". Not so fast....Included in the weight up front should be a footing of appropriate length to counteract the now weaker spine arrow.

Results are.... an indestructible, high FOC arrow of the same weight that is much easier to tune and flys more consistently accurate. The best way to build an arrow.

• Sitka Gear