Rick M 20-Oct-14
kellyharris 20-Oct-14
Mule Power 20-Oct-14
OdinsEdge 21-Oct-14
SteveB 21-Oct-14
TD 21-Oct-14
Boothill 21-Oct-14
13-Oct-14
A buddy of mine sent me some info on Rivers West rain gear. I couldn't find much about it. Does anybody have any reviews to share?

Thanks

13-Oct-14
The only RW i had was their waterproof fleece....It was a sweat box and didn't breath at all. I would be as inside as outside. It didnt last long

13-Oct-14
I have a few pieces and love it, however, it doesn't breathe. I use mine for late season hunting when it's cold/snow/rain. Great windproof. But I usually roll up the pants to my knees and open all the vents on side of the pants and carry the jacket in to my stand. I have a couple different sets. They stand by their product too, I had to send in a pair to get waterproofed-I purchased a set used and leaked big time. They sealed all the seams and re-treated the fabric, free. But it did take several weeks to get the set back. They just ask that you clean the garment before sending it in. I found my stuff on sale, it's pricey, but for sitting in a tree for numerous hours at a time in below freezing temps, windy, rainy, snowy, it works great. I have the heavier and colder weather stuff, I wouldn't want the warmer temperature products because it doesn't breathe.

Like most things, I think their stuff from 8-10 years ago is better than the newer stuff, my opinion.

13-Oct-14
I like mine. I use it for all day sits for whitetails. It keeps me warm and dry. As already said the stuff does not breath but it does what I need.

13-Oct-14
The make several weights of it. I used the LAW jacket mostly for many years before it finally pretty much wore out.

It's tough stuff, as tough of raingear as there is out there. It's the quietest raingear there is IMO. Cuts the wind, fairly warm. I don't sit stands in cold weather, but used it mainly in the mountains on backpack hunts. Did double duty as a warm outer shell and raingear. I use a different system these days but the RW worked pretty well for many years.

The LAW is not real heavy, but bulky for packing. You will sweat up if working very hard, but then I do with most outer shells/raingear. As rainwear for daily rain you need a place to dry it out every night. They can soak up a good deal of water even while keeping you dry.

I would certainly consider it for cold weather treestand raingear/outer shell.

13-Oct-14
I have a set of their raingear and it is absolutely bombproof and very quiet. I never wear it anymore because it is just too warm for my run and gun style of hunting but for stand hunting or late season hunts it would be great.

14-Oct-14
Great for real cold days that may produce rain. I usually pack mine in and put on in my whitetail stand. Too hot to walk in.

Shoot straight.

Gottoohunt

14-Oct-14
What they said ^^^^^

14-Oct-14
I really like mine I have used it for years, the pants, jacket, vest. Quiet, sheds water, great for cold weather stand.

You may wish to consider their vest. Great for a wind breaker and under garment in cool or colder weather.

The other comments are accurate.

15-Oct-14
rw raingear is "rain gear". true rain gear does not "breathe"....ever. if it did, it would not be water tight for extended periods of time. I have put my rw raingear through extended periods of contact with torrential rain, snow, sleet, cold, briars, etc. I have never once got wet from the elements. rw raingear is truly waterproof. it is also windproof, so use this gear commensurate with its attributes and don't expect it to be something it isn't. if you want truly waterproof raingear, buy rw. if you want "breathable raingear"....buy a swimsuit or a pair of jeans......

15-Oct-14
Not even close to being correct. Kuiu Chugach kept me dry for days thru rain and snow in BC a few weeks ago. When I worked up a sweat I didn't stay soaked on the inside.

15-Oct-14
couldnt disagree more with Boothill....

Take it from some one with several hundred days spent on river in drift boats, i practically lived in Gortex for months on end.... Good Gortex rain gear breaths well and keeps you dryer inside and out.

16-Oct-14
RW is great gear for sitting in the rain and especially the snow. If you plan on being active in your hunt I'd highly advise another option.

16-Oct-14
I love my RW rain gear but as others have said, I'm just sitting in the stand and not moving.

16-Oct-14
I agree with boot hill. The only breathable rain wear is good for being in a drizzle and not a down pour. I have tried the best gortex with the exception of bass pros 100 mph rain suit and all have gotten me wet. I duck hunt almost 60 days a year every year and water proof doesn't mean anything. I finally went to Helly Hanson coat and bibs which don't breathe and are the same clothes commercial fisherman wear. Grudens would be another. It's the only thing I found to keep me dry. And by the way. I have a brand new set of river west if anyone is intrested. Never worn bibs and coat.

19-Oct-14
the TRUE test is sit on it....roll on it....plant your elbows/knees in soaked ground....for EXTENDED periods of time, day after day. DONT dry it out in the evening, put it on with the garment still wet on the outside. Let some DEET get on it.....repeat.....repeat..... I am just not aware of ANYTHING "breathable" that could take this kind of repeated submersion and "abuse" and stay 100% water tight....rw can.......but id be willing to try anything if someone has a product that is better and can prove me wrong.......I just really, but respectfully, doubt there's anything else......

20-Oct-14
It all depends how you are using it. RW may be good if you are sitting. Try it on a high exertion hunt like elk, sheep, etc. and you will get soaked from sweat.

If you are moving, Sitka or Kuiu are better.

20-Oct-14
This stuff sucks at best!

I've used my rivers west gear multiple times.

Any decent rain has left me soaked! The material doesn't breathe so you will sweat like crazy.

I truly believe 40.00 frog togs repel water better

20-Oct-14
I couldn't disagree more with Trial153.

Gore Tex holds sweat like any other plastic bag. Like Boothill said... real rain gear doesn't breathe. Real rain gear is Helly Hansen Impertech.

I hunt elk. A lot! So I know all about sweat. Sitting in a drift boat you may dry out because you quit sweating. but start moving and sweating perpetually and you'll never dry out. And Rivers West is the worst for that. I only use it on stands.

The other thing about the fleece type rain gears are that the fleece wicks water up the cuffs on the legs and sleeves. if it is really raining and you put in enough hours it will be wet inside several inches up.

Once RW is wet it takes DAYS to dry out too. Plus once wet it's as heavy as hell. I hate that.

21-Oct-14
I have the Isolation jacket and pants and recently used them on a hunt in Montana and was very happy with them. If I got hot I would open up the vents and it would cool me right off. Very comfortable, and dry.

21-Oct-14
This is exactly why there are different products for different people!!

Impossible for everyone to agree.

21-Oct-14
Remember also I think they have like 3 or more different weights of gear. The lighter weight stuff isn't nearly as hot.

If it wasn't raining and just a bit cold I'd take it off before heavy activity, but it back on as soon as stationary and stay warm. Very good venting really with pit zips and other vents built in.

Pretty much do the same thing now with a puffy layer. Just that the puffy packs down much better, likely even a bit warmer than the LAW Stalker jacket I had. For rain the Yukon I can't say enough good things about.

Replaced the RW with a puffy and top of the line raingear. About the same total space, etc. but much more flexible as to layering for a much wider range of conditions. And, sigh... prolly 3 or 4 times the money as well.

21-Oct-14
I guess what is important to take away from this is that "rain gear" is specifically designed to keep rain on the outside of the garment and not let it inside the garment and next to you. its duty has ended at that point. there are disadvantages as well. they can get hot, sweaty, heavy etc etc. if used in a manner not designed for "raingear." to expect non-raingear properties to be present in "rain gear" is the equivalent of being dissatisfied with your hard top automobile because it is not a convertible......when you specifically ordered a hardtop.

• Sitka Gear