TD 16-Oct-14
cityhunter 16-Oct-14
MTcountryboy 16-Oct-14
cityhunter 21-Oct-14
carcus 21-Oct-14
cityhunter 21-Oct-14
carcus 21-Oct-14
16-Oct-14
I have an Elite Energy 32 that I purchased about 6 months ago. The bow was paper tuned and my broadheads were shooting with my field points after initially purchased. I went on a pronghorn hunt followed by an elk hunt in Wyoming. After returning I shot my broadheads and they are shooting about 4 inches left of my field points. I spent hours moving my rest in slight incrememnts trying to re paper tune the bow with no success. I brought the bow back to the shop, the cams are in time and the owner could not get the bow paper tuned either. The bow is an Elite Energy 32, 65 pounds, 29" draw. My arrows are Gold Tip Velocity cut to 29.5", spine 300, with a 125 grain head and an extra 50 grains added up front bringing the arrow to arround 440 grains. Any suggestions on things to try or to look at? Help, I am frustrated as hell.

16-Oct-14
I had a similar issue, different bow. After all the checks were done such as string stretch,limbs were balanced and moving my rest back and forth a friend watching me shoot solved my problem by simply moving my PINS and not my rest.Apparently it got bumped somewhere. He held the bow straight out away and at rest not draw looked at the line up of string,rest and pins at the point where they should line right up and found my pins were just a bit off. I hope it works for u. Sounds simple but sometimes the simple things work. good Luck

16-Oct-14
Yep, cable stretch. Any shop that doesn't tell their customers to get a couple hundred shots through it on the factory strings/cables and come back in to retune is a shop I'd only buy accessories from.

16-Oct-14
Assuming you don't havent all of a sudden developed a bad habit it is possible you have a weak limb. I have never heard of this but possibly something has happened to change the shimming of your cam. Maybe a broken spacer or something allowing the cam position to change. This is only speculation.

16-Oct-14
Also....I assume in my post that the shop checked your timing and made sure strings were at spec lengths.

16-Oct-14
Rattles, that is exactly what my shop suggested and that is exactly what I did. The problem was he couldn't tune it but he only concentrated on cam timing and my rest. The bow has probably 800 shots through it. If you guys believe string/cable stretch is the problem what can I do to fix it???

16-Oct-14
Check the poundage again. Maybe it increased a bit from being new. If the arrows were marginal stiffness at first, then the wt increased slightly, could explain the problem...?

16-Oct-14
Make sure you are not getting contact with the rest. Do the old foot powder or lipstick trick. If you are hitting there is no way of ever tuning.

16-Oct-14
No contact with rest, arrows are grouping beautifully just broadheads four inches from field points.

Russel, I was worried about the arrows being too stiff?

16-Oct-14
Bowfreak, I will definitely take a look at the shimmings and the like to see if everything is how it should be.

At this point I am leaning towards string/cable stretch.

I need a damn press..............

16-Oct-14
When you say "tune" what does that mean to you? Your opening paragraph says your broad heads and fp were not hitting together so you tried to "paper tune". I can't tell if you meant trying to get your bh and fp to hit together by rest adjustments or if you were trying to read fletch tears in paper?

To me, goal should be fp and bh hitting the same, not what paper says. That being said, if you are not able to get them to hit together I'd still think about custom strings/cables. You'd probably end up there anyway, at least doing it now, would eliminate that part of equation. Several good string/cable makers.

I know how frustrating this sort of thing can be. good luck.

16-Oct-14
Just went through this with my elite they sent me a brand new set of winners choice strings and cables and the problem was fixed. Call or email them. I had my new set in four days

16-Oct-14
Get a press! Best purchase I've made, then get a bow with static yokes!lol

16-Oct-14
Rattles, I was reading tears in paper as a step 1 and adjusting the rest. Step 2 would have been to broadhead tune if my field points and broadheads were not hitting together after the "paper tuning". I never made it past step one as myself nor the owner of my bow shop could get the bow "paper tuned". We did not make any adjustments or than the rest. A weaker spine arrow did not improve the tear.

The bow comes with winner's choice strings on it, I would expect a new set of strings and cables to stretch just like the originals so I don't know how a new set would help long term.

16-Oct-14
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I know some guys place a high premium on paper tune--me, not so much. If I can get fp and bh to hit together, I'm satisfied.

But that's just me. Not saying paper tune isn't useful, just not holding it in as high of regard as some is all.

With that being said, and since you have nothing to lose but a half hour of time--why don't you see if you can get them to hit together. If you are unable, I'd return to my suggestion of new cables/strings. It's what fixed similar problems I have had.

16-Oct-14
elites are sold with winners choice strings pure junk these days over priced . I had a winners choice installed on my bowtech for a few months nothing but tuning issues peep movement etc i tossed it and got a custom string made , its proven itself in the 3d course and hunting situations ...

16-Oct-14
Rattles, I guess I didn't clarify, the whole point of wanting the bow tuned is so my broadheads hit with my field points.

16-Oct-14
I have had three sets of Winner's Choice strings and cables, all but one had "issues".

City, I need to give you a call, I have some information for you..........

16-Oct-14
k

16-Oct-14
I start with bareshaft papertuning from a few feet. Then move back to 15 ft, and then 30 ft. Then to the target with fletched arrows.

I've found that bareshaft arrows expose tuning issues better than fletched shafts.

16-Oct-14
Is your cable guard rod secure?

I ask because I came across a similar situation with my son's Elite a few years ago. The set screw worked it's way loose, and when he drew back the cable guard rod would slide out about 3/4" and flex inward. Then after the shot, it would slide back in. With tension on it, one couldn't tell it was loose.

Other than that, I would need to see it in person to figure this out for sure. Just guesses right now.

16-Oct-14
It is secure x-man but thanks I open to any and all ideas.

16-Oct-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
I have the cure its all tuned ready to hunt :>

16-Oct-14
That picture of Lou's cost me a grand, but I'm glad I bought it!

16-Oct-14
Binary system correct? No yokes? Warning: The fallowing is an internet opinion.

If adjusting the rest doesn't help my next step would be double checking for contact, for piece of mind if nothing else. Have seen it many times folks will swear the rest it timed, etc. no way for any contact.... but put to the lipstick and bingo, there's the contact. Rest bounceback for a spit second, even cable contact. Arrows can group fine with a bit of contact, that won't tell you anything. Only one way to know for sure is test it. Never had much luck with the foot powder, lipstick on the vanes much better for me. Test it and you can cross it off the list.

If OK next could very well be some cable and string creep. Just shooting it in and it will creep some when it settles. Just a short time in a hot car, etc. and they can creep a good amount as well. It can creep and you will still be within timing specs. But what it will do is lengthen your draw length. If borderline already just a 1/4" will mess with your form. A turn on each cable and a couple on the string should help restore that and still be timed.

One other thing easy thing to check is your arrows. I know your Velocity is "rated" as 300 spine, but they also recommend a maximum head weight of 125 grain. You have an extra 50 grains on top of that. Plus that is a fairly hot bow if I recall. If you could lighten that tip weight it might be worth a try. Shooting 175 grains with essentially ultra light 29.5" shafts out of that bow could be an issue. Certainly worth a look. If marginal before, anything that changed from creep to form could have an effect.

Last case... worst case a twisted limb or some other structural flaw. That's back to the dealer stuff.

Good luck.

16-Oct-14
Jason if u ever need a string i have the guy !

16-Oct-14
Same problem with my cpxl for two weeks.....then a limb failure....pretty sure that limb was giving up for while.

21-Oct-14
Hey Andrew sent u a pm !!

21-Oct-14
City, I have that same bow, love it, also have a rpm 360, like it even better. What string maker? I went with 60x and tried the bcy 8190 that was on sale, so far so good, on my last 4 bows I put bcy x, can't see much difference, but only a couple hundred arrows through it so far.

21-Oct-14

JASON i had a custom string from a guy in Indiana great work the peep hasnt moved since day one without a doubt best string i have ever owned.

21-Oct-14
I see you have the bomar stops on it as well, do you like them? I find the backwall fairly solid, do you set the stops half inch longer than the mods as well?

• Sitka Gear