TurboT 19-Oct-14
Russell 20-Oct-14
huntabsarokee 20-Oct-14
Amoebus 20-Oct-14
willliamtell 20-Oct-14
Rock 21-Oct-14
TD 21-Oct-14
17-Oct-14
Been internally debating the merits of upgrading el cheapo (but light!) tripod for a new one for a while. Can somebody honestly tell me the several hundred dollars I will to spend on a good one is worth the once every couple years use I'll get out of it? No problemo on top grade optics, but I'm on the bubble about an expensive tripod. I mostly use my 10 x 40 swaro HD binos and find them very adequate. Also, does anyone know of a really light, fast detach mount for the HD's - seems like the screw-in quick release ones are for the next model down.

17-Oct-14
It's spelled "problema" with an "a."

17-Oct-14
For spotting scopes a high quality tripod is a must-have IMO. I contemplated saving some weight on my last pack trip and taking a lightweight cheapo tripod. After setting it up out in the yard in a breeze I had my answer right away, and opted to take the good one. There's really no comparison to the steadiness/rigidity of a good carbon tripod.

17-Oct-14
Damn Idyll, bet you want to slit your wrists when you open a TBM thread .LOL

18-Oct-14
I go with Bart Simpson pronunciation and spelling - (hopefully) no insult to those more knowledgable. Did a little research and I guess a lot of the cost is getting those last few ounces off, that silky smooth head, and still being stable.

In terms of stability, what about putting a rock in a sack and suspending it from a center post? Seems like adding weight like that might be an easy way to gain stability, Like you said, stick, I should probably do it and test it in a wind.

Any Votex tripod owners out there that care to comment on how they hold up, how smooth the heads do or do not stay? They seem to be a decent compromise between function, weight, and cost.

18-Oct-14
I've owned a Vortex tripod for about 2 hours. Took it back as soon as I got home and tried it.

Get yourself a Slik and spend some money on a good head like the Outdoorsman. Or...spend even more money, get the Outdoorsman tripod and head then never ever spend money on it again.

I love my Slik with the Outdoorsman pan head. More than happy, it works for me.

18-Oct-14
I have a vortex tripod and head....hate it, should have sent it back.

I have an Outdoorsman setup with pan, pistol grip, etc. I really like it.

In my own glassing experience, I'm more effective at finding partially hidden game with 10x binos on a nice tripod vs handheld.

I'll glass longer with the tripod, am more comfortable, and the stability seems to make a 10x high end bino even better.

18-Oct-14
IMO unless you have your optics mounted on a tripod you are just scanning not really glassing. Just like optics go high end and you will never regret it.

18-Oct-14
Idyll, you're gonna stay busy man!

18-Oct-14
I bought a used Gitzo with outdoorsman pan head. Great combo and I like it.

18-Oct-14
I use the vortex skyline. I like it. Got it on eBay for a hundred bucks brand new.

19-Oct-14
Thanks for the posts. One way or another I will know after my AZ desert hunt. Will look for an outdoorsman on ebay.

19-Oct-14

The Old Sarge's Link
I have three Velbon tripods of various ages and sizes. I bought the first in '72 and it still works as well as when I bought it. I use them for camera work as well as binocular/scope setups.

Check the link and decide which will fit you needs. You won't regret it.

19-Oct-14
I have a Bogen, a Gitzo , and a Vortex. I have a sheep hunt next year . When I leave my base camp , my Vortex will be in my pack. Weight was my determining factor. The Vortex passed a few windy glassing sessions , and it's half the weight. I doubt very much that my choice will cost me any extra opportunities on a sheep.

19-Oct-14
Having owned or used the outdoorsman, vortex, manfrotto, and slik, I would recommend SLIK. Perfect balance of lightweight and functional. They changed locking mechanisms this year so make sure you are getting what you want. I also agree that true "glassing" requires a tripod. You will see far more game than you will without a tripod.

20-Oct-14
Any comments regarding the Promaster Professional XC525C tripod?

20-Oct-14
Not sure about high end but I have a vanguard 225 CT carbon tripod with the PH 111V pan head. Cost me less than $200 and weighs in at 2.5 pounds. I purchased a Vortex with a ball head that was junk. Not sure how you are expected to use the ball head. Sold it after its 1st use. I really like the Vanguard and it didn't break the bank. Easy to use and it locks in well so I can let a buddy take a look without the scope moving.

20-Oct-14
Are you going to be glassing near your truck? Or, is the plan to backpack this during daylong hunts? Will you be glassing standing up or sitting/laying down? Is this all for binoculars or are you getting a scope?

I have a range of tripods (all Slik, I believe). I use the heavier/taller ones for viewing near my vehicle because they are too bulky/heavy (not carbon). A window mount is good for this also. You will also need this stability for sky viewing at night.

But, I have finally settled on the Slik Compact Tripod II for my mule deer/elk hunts. It is very cheap and light and has a poor head, but is a perfect balance for my type of hunting (glass 2-4 hours a day and hike the rest of the time - always a mile or more from the camp/truck). I am using a Swaro 65mm scope. A bigger scope wouldn't work on this tripod. It doesn't raise up high, but all my glassing is done close to the ground.

Another note; the pistol grip heads are wonderful, but you can get by with a pan head with a little more work (with less cost/weight). You should be spending a lot of time looking through the scope once it is set and less time moving to the next target as you are searching for a little piece of the animal. The good grips allow me to move to the next view easily and I have to remind myself to slow down and make sure I have found the animals in the set view.

20-Oct-14
Definitely for spotting scope, although if I get a mount for my binos why not use them for the closer in work? Better field of view and you get to use both eyes.

This is definitely a backpack-in use. Every ounce counts, and you can end up with extra pounds with a tripod. That being said, some of the stability has to be related to weight pure and simple. TV cam tripods are monsters, and some of the heavy ones are a (relative) joy to use in the wind.

Because I'm out of time I'll drill the bottom of the center post, attach a hook, and use an onion bag with a rock in it to help ballast my pos. Won't cost me weight and might help me spot that monster a couple miles away :) You-all talked me into an upgrade though -I'll follow up on the brand/model suggestions this winter (thanks for those).

21-Oct-14

Rock's Link
Anyone ever try one of these instead of a tripod?

21-Oct-14
I see the slik recommended a fair amount. They seem to be pretty reasonably priced compared to some. What model are you folks recommending? I see the compact II recommended, seems a good size/weight for packing. Size and weight would be a big concern as it would be travel and backpacking.

Are their heads not good? I see non-slik heads recommended often. If you're going to put some money into it.... spend it on the head rather than the tripod itself?

• Sitka Gear