Ambush 28-Dec-14
NMBIGHORN 11-Jan-15
NMBIGHORN 11-Jan-15
Thornton 12-Jan-15
mn_archer 12-Jan-15
NMBIGHORN 12-Jan-15
Genesis 12-Jan-15
18-Oct-14
Sorry you had a bad hunt. Please do a Bowsite Outfitter Review and it will help many!!

18-Oct-14
Can't you just post your experience here?

18-Oct-14
I'd sooner hear about this than another broadhead debate.

18-Oct-14
Dave sorry spread the bad news !!! How can u tell when a outfitter is lyeing he opens his mouth :> LOL

18-Oct-14
With so many good reviews on a handful of goat guys here on bowsite why would you even take a chance with another outfitter.

19-Oct-14
Your review is up now

19-Oct-14
And as usual, there are 2 sides to every story! I could see being bummed about the way the hunt went but it sure doesn't sound like the outfitter deserves to be dragged through the mud.

19-Oct-14
one side provides general limited commentary thay may or may not be accurate.

another side provide exhaustive detail and what sounds like a balanced respresentation that may or may not be accurate

given the above, in the absence of substantive detail from the hunter that at least equates to the level of detail offered by the outfitter...................

i'd buy the outfitters story.

19-Oct-14
Sorry about the bad trip, however...

... you went on a challeging hunt in a new area with difficult logisitcs and killed a goat, can't be all bad.

19-Oct-14
These reviews are always tough to judge but I will say that I feel every outfitter should be required to go on a hunt of equal value to what they charge. This will provide them the experience of knowing what it feels like to be a client.

I work in the business and can tell you that most outfitters base their prices off their competition but rarely understand the differences between a good hunt and a great hunt.

19-Oct-14
Three sides to this story for sure.

20-Oct-14
My guess is that reality is found somewhere in the middle.

20-Oct-14
Let it go.

Best words all could learn from.

Unless you have a large group of unrelated hunters warning guys to avoid an outfit public complaints like this are he said/she said situations.

What usually happens is one person comes off looking good and the other not so much OR both look like jerks.

It sounds like things didn't go as expected but you should have known the risks going to a new area and that part of the world is extremely unforgiving. Regardless of what you were told.

You took a risk and it didn't payoff.

I'm sure both sides have valid points but I doubt every hunter who has gone with him had the same experience and it's not like the caribou hunters who all paid and lost their hunts.

20-Oct-14
"You took a risk and it didn't payoff."

Apparently it did, he killed a goat.

20-Oct-14
Just because you kill an animal that doesn't make a hunt successful. Too bad your experience went bad. Mike

20-Oct-14
I am surprised by this. I had a great hunt with this outfitter. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience and the best hunt of my life. I can't complain about anything. Everything from the food to the guides were awesome. It was the most challenging hunt I have done and it was in the most beautiful/rugged country I have ever seen, or hunted in. I hope I am fortunate enough to go back there some day.

20-Oct-14
Dave I'm not doubting your beef is real but after all the hunts you have been on you should have known a first year owner in a very formidable area was a high risk and that you were definitely going to be on an "adventure" which is what you received.

Sounds like you gambled and you rolled 7s.

Honestly, you got lucky it wasn't worse AND you shot an animal.

Again, 2 sides to every story but there's very little you can do now except let it go.

The truth is in 5 years this outfitter will either be in business and will have learned from this year or he won't be in business any longer.

This obviously won't make you feel better but whether a hunt or any other situation there's little you can do.

20-Oct-14
I've only done one outfitted hunt. It is simply to risky for me after hearing stories and experiencing the deficiencies a lack luster outfitter provides. It's like a disease that affects everyone, especially the guides.

With that said, what I don't understand is guys here that do guided hunts as a way of life, and have surely seen some misrepresentation by an outfitter, badger the guy that had a bad experience on such a hunt. It isn't rocket science. If your experiences have all been good, it isn't because you were so good at choosing your outfitters. It is because you were/are lucky on the hunts you experienced. Remember, one man's trash is another's treasure.

However, after reading all this, isn't it more likely that Dave is communicating his experience? The guide admitted much of what was Dave's main argument, by saying this was a new area. Which appears to be a lot of the problem here. The outfitter/guides unfamiliarity with this area seems to be the problem. That and bad weather. Weather can't be helped. But, the guide choosing to fly out of this area early, due to weather, says enough about that to me to make a side more believable.

The man killed a goat. Don't you think it is possible that his side is more accurate since the prize was obtained. What is to gain by lying about it? I don't know who is right. I know what sounds correct. So do all you life long client hunters. These aren't simple comfort complaints. And with no reason to make it up, why would anyone think Dave is fabricating things? It appears to me to be the result of a serious lack of communication, from start, through duration, and after the hunt was over. Doesn't that fall on the outfitter? He's not the tourist. Just sayin... God Bless

21-Oct-14
Anyone who discounts a hunter's negative report simply because he killed an animal has a very different standard of measurement on what constitutes a high quality hunt. Dead animals don't mean a hunt was good, or that the outfitter was in any way honoring most of his obligations. I speak from experience, and won't put anyone through the long and torturous story of what happened to me and another experienced bowhunter in BC many years ago. Suffice to say that our hunt was terribly mismanaged to the point of it being a true fiasco. At the same time, other hunters were happily knocking down game in other camps and having the time of their life. When I got out of camp I attempted to find the concession owner/'outfitter' and go toe-to-toe with him. It turned out he was with his (call her what you want) in Whitehorse and of course too drunk to travel. His guides were busy busting their humps and covering for their boss. When our story was told it was met with bewilderment and doubt by several other hunters. Some probably thought we were just bitch-and-moaners. I couldn't help that, but the truth is the truth. We didn't judge the hunt by a dead animal or lack of one.

I don't know Dave or this outfitter. My gut (and experience) tells me the outfitter has nothing to lose and everything to gain by defending his business...and will sacrifice a former client to maintain his income. On the other hand, most 'beware' threads like this are at least 50% about retribution and causing some discomfort for the outfitter. I get that too, as suffering through a nasty experience that you paid money for will sometimes leave you willing to return that investment. Going public with it on a website will get a reaction for sure, but not necessarily the one you want.

21-Oct-14
Dave's reponse certainly seems credible and is a fine come back to the outfitters details.

21-Oct-14
I have to say that there are some guys who book hunts and have a bad experience. Sometimes it just because of their lack of hunting experience or there ill prepared. But I can tell you that I have done a lot of guided trips with outfitters, a lot!. I have had only two bad hunts were those outfitters had blatantly lied to me prior to the hunt, by giving false information or just flat out was a person who should never be guiding hunters. I totally agree with outfitter reports and the word should get out about those outfitters who have issues with hunters. I have posted bad reports on the two hunts and I hope that saved others from having the same bad experience. On the other had when I have a great outfitter I also let everyone know who they are and what to expect with the great outfitter. It all goes hand in hand.

PRez

21-Oct-14
Things happen with both good and bad outfitters, the difference is that the good ones take care of the problems and make it right. Just my opinion.

21-Oct-14
I have always thought if a guy wasn't successful and would go back says a lot. But a guy that was successful and won't go back says more.

I doubt I will ever go on a goat hunt in BC but I don't know if I would write off the outfitter for bad planing on a first year in an area. Maybe now he has his game in order and can provide a better experience for the hunt. Time will tell I guess.

21-Oct-14
I don't know, I've never been on a guided hunt. But, all I got from Dave's big editorial above is that he thinks he's a great hunter and could do it all better than an outfitter...so why hire a guide?

21-Oct-14
"I doubt I will ever go on a goat hunt in BC but I don't know if I would write off the outfitter for bad planing on a first year in an area."

baloney.........if the guy charged full prices he better have done his homework and provide full services and have full kowledge. if he can't do that he should advise up front this is a combo scounting the area and hunting expedition and therfore the price has been discounted to reflect it.

I have actually been on such a hunt many years ago. it did not turn out well, but at least the outfitter was up front on what he was doing and charged accordingly.

21-Oct-14
I don't think a NR alien can hunt BC without a guide? You can't even hunt mt goat in AK without a guide if a NR.

I know an outfitter that gave a guy back all his money when he had a new area, pretty much his first hunt (mule deer) in it and it didn't pan out. Client didn't ask for money back, he just did it. IIRC Client re-booked for the next year in a different area.

Thank you for your report Dave. Glad you got your animal and wish it didn't leave a sour taste in your mouth. I don't know anyone here who would have been very happy about tacking on all the extra expenses after the hunt had started. Or even as it was ending actually.

Think about it, one of the main reasons you even hire a guide is they have prior knowledge of the area being hunted and have (theoretically) scouted it.

Guys with experiences like Dave's are the ones you will never get as references when you request references from an outfitter. Yet they are the ones you need to hear the most.

Are there sour grapes? People impossible to please? Absolutely. But if you are researching.... up to you who you want to believe, a person will book with who they want. Personally as was stated above.... there are a good many outfitters that have excellent reviews right here from people I know and trust.

21-Oct-14
TD My issue with Dave's frustration was if you have been on a number of guided hunts you KNOW going in with a first year outfitter into an unknown area is a recipe for him learning the area on your dime.

I think a lot of guys are missing that. I would NEVER go with a first year outfitter in a new area unless he was a buddy of mine.

I'm not excusing the outfitter but as a buyer you need to weigh your risks. That's what Dave did. He obviously came out on short end of the deal.

Bad things also happen with an experienced outfit but they are prepared better because they have many seasons under their belt and know how to deal with these situations.

24-Oct-14
I would think if the outfitter was charging full price to hunt an unknown area, he would have scouted first. A quick scouting trip and this issues doesn't exist.

24-Oct-14
"baloney.........if the guy charged full prices he better have done his homework and provide full services and have full kowledge. if he can't do that he should advise up front this is a combo scounting the area and hunting expedition and therfore the price has been discounted to reflect it."

In Dave's case I agree with you. When I say "I don't know if I would right him off just yet". Its for future hunters. Heck earlier in this thread there was a guy that commented. I bet he would go back.

25-Oct-14
"Simply harvesting an animal does not always constitute a great hunt."

I agree 100%. Some of my best hunts were where I didn't bag an animal but the guide and outfitter were great. Conversely, I bagged two P&Y animals (moose and caribou) on what I still refer to as "The Hunt From Hell" (guide was a jerk).

25-Oct-14
Two quick comments..... first. Not that he was a bad outfitter but I hate when people read outfitter bashing stories and then bunch all of them together saying there are no good outfitters. Some outfitters are the nicest most sincere people you'd ever want to meet and work their tails off to provide the best hunt and services possible.

Second.... if you want a for sure top notch hunt don't book blue light specials. In this case that means saving a few bucks over the outfitters we know on here have track records in areas they know like the back of their hand. What you did was book an all or nothing deal. It could have been a gold mine going where nobody else has hunted. A trail is worth a million bucks. If you've done your share of hunts you should know that. The miles you can cover on one are night and day compared to bushwhacking.

Last... everyone has to start somewhere. The fact that it was his first year should have been something you gave a lot of thought to as well. I think you bear the responsibility to think things like that out when you book. Otherwise you are going to be part of his learning curve.

I'm going to call this one 50/50.

Congratulations on killing your goat.

25-Oct-14
Sounds like a tough hunt. Typical of coastal BC mountains. The outfitter should have scouted the areas first, or given you a substantial price reduction since you were the guinea pig.

I have never gone on a guided hunt, but live in BC, and have made forays into the mountains only to be turned back. There are truly impenetrable mountains in BC.

There is nothing wrong with an outfitter sending a guide and client into never-before-hunted areas. When I guided, I took a young hunter after mountain goat into some remote mountains that had never been hunted. It took 25 hours of backpacking and was physically brutal - but also an incredible adventure. We were successful in getting a goat, and the end of the hunt found the client and myself good friends. It was an adventure of a lifetime. The caveat to this, though, is the expectation was set from the beginning. My hunter wanted an adventure more than a goat....and he got it!

25-Oct-14
Dave outfitters website says we have lots and lots of goats did i tell we have lots of goats , also says 29 grizz were seen from a road 15 miles u do the math .. I did the math this outfitter talks with a forked tongue !!! Dave i been on way worse fully outfitted hunts so i can relate it suxs ! You did the corect thing by posting your hunt .

25-Oct-14
"I have always thought if a guy wasn't successful and would go back says a lot. But a guy that was successful and won't go back says more"

Pretty much sums it all up right there..

28-Oct-14
I put 95% of the blame on the outfitter. Not having reliable communications between base camp and EVERY group that is out hunting PLUS ability to call in emergency responders is something that will make me see red.

Not scouting the area earlier in the year when is the first year is bewildering and should be disclosed. I might sign up for a hunt in an area that has not been hunted in years hoping for a chance at animals about to die of old age. I would expect (and would ask) about scouting that has been done or will be done prior to the hunts.

Leaving meat on the mountain also makes me see red.

I am okay with a young guide if has experience with the species and the type of hunt (mountains, wilderness, desert, etc). Otherwise, I have a problem with that guide being the lead guide for me. A guide impacts your safety as well as the quality of the hunt.

Congrats on getting a goat. Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

12-Nov-14
I just read that Derrick's son-in-law and guide Jeff fell to his death while hiking off the mountain after taking a large billy...very sad, and after reading this thread it makes you wonder just how prepared they were to be hunting a new area...

Sad day, thoughts and prayers to his family...

13-Nov-14
Check goatalliance.com for more details. Looks like the guide died Monday in a fall carrying a goat on his back. Goat hunting is tough and dangerous in most areas. Pushing the envelope can get you in trouble especially when coming out with a heavy pack. First a Colorado hunter and now a BC guide that died this year.

14-Nov-14
As a flatlander who wants to hunt Kodiak for goats, reading these posts are inspiring. But when these mortal reminders pop up, it sure makes convincing my wife that I am sane and will come back alive more difficult. Further introspection makes me want to purchase just a bit more term life before mountain trips.

Because nonres hunters require a guide, this post worries me and I will do as much homework as possible before going, but the fact remains that one never truly knows how the guide service or outfitter will be from year to year. I have been burnt before when an outfitter lost heart in what he was doing and turned to greed - bilking hunters for money to start a new venture.

there is also an unusual phenomenon that occurs when someone post online criticism and warnings about a service. Bow hunters are a special breed of folk and it is rare that I ever come across guys that would throw an outfitter under the bus without good reason. The post above is genuine and was not intended to defame anyone. Yes, I would have gone into his hunt with both eyes open, but there is no excuse that the area was not scouted and the best route to goat country determined before any client arrived. that is part of what is paid for. When you experience something like this, it rocks your confidence in guided hunts and faith in your fellow man for a while, which is partially to blame for me not going on any further guided hunts since my last.

When we turn on those trying too warn us, then we are just asking for further similar crappy experiences as there is no reason to post news to jerks. Rather, let them rot in a bad camp and experience the same brand of disappointment. It is much easier and less frustrating to help others.

For now, I will stick to Iowa and DIY the West for ELK until I gain enough confidence to do otherwise.

14-Nov-14
First of all, I wish to send my condolences for the guide. May he rest in peace.

I tend to believe Dave's version of events. Dave, it seems like you could clear this up. You said " Don't forget not honoring the contract though which specifically states that all transportation during the course of the hunt will be the responsibility of the outfitter. The fact that we were left with no alternative other than sitting around base camp without food and festering over our $9500 "vacation" is what really did it for me."

I believe he responded to your report and stated "On our website we have 4 hunt types. Two involve a charter plane ride if that option is selected. It is clearly stated at the hunters cost. We went over what the plane charges well before it was called.....and everyone agreed. "

Post the contract. Case closed.

28-Dec-14

28-Dec-14
I don't see why the outfitter is being bashed? Goat hunts are hard and half the stuff posted above happened to me last year on my hunt in an area I scouted all summer. Goat country is rough and lots of things happen........

28-Dec-14
One thing is true about this area. There are likely several WR goats that die there very year without ever seeing a human. The country is that rugged and impenetrable. And it will stay that way until BC allows helicopter hunting, which will happen just after hell freezes over. It does sometimes happen that a new logging operation opens up small pieces of a valley, but seldom.

Sometimes we see goats when were are fishing the coast, but we don't for a minute seriously consider thinking we could access them. We dream, yes, but plan, no. My son-in-law, while salvage logging in January, sees goats down near the water. And then they just go right back up the straight up cliffs and disappear into the thickest, most tangled mess of vegetation imaginable.

The next P&Y world record goat is just waiting there for some guys with more guts, muscle and mental toughness than 99.5% of the other mountain hunters alive today.

All that being said, a guide that doesn't know his terrain, conditions and habits of the local species isn't much more help than wishful thinking.

11-Jan-15
First off, condolences to the family of the guide.

Goat country can be and is unforgiving. This is the outfitter's responsibility first and foremost to be 110% certain of the safety and welfare of his guides and clients, even if it means he has to front the monies for plane rides in and out of this unforgiving country, this should be in his business plan and emergency expenditures. I am sure most outfitters have a plan in place like this, if not they should.

I am a outfitter in NM and we have 4 wilderness areas where we hunt the most, with some unforgiving country as well. It is up to my discretion where we are going to hunt and the responsibility falls 110% on my back as to where my guides and clients are to hunt and their welfare. I would certainly expect no less from any other outfitter.

I personally have gone on a guided goat hunt in northern BC, and unlike a coastal hunt we were in more hike able terrain, although we did have issues with a mile or so of tangle foot, I'm sure it was nothing like this guy encountered on or near the coast.

Now as far as guided hunts go it is the responsibility of the hunter and his choice to hunt with whom he choses. On this hunt, many RED Flags were in front of him and ultimately he made the choice to hunt with this guy. Some of the RED Flags came as the hunt went on and this is where the issues of this hunt are.

In my research to hunt and fish with guys in BC and Alaska, you need to be thorough with your questions and get your answers in writing (proof), if they also wont do this another RED Flag is raised, so it is best to send your questions to them and have them respond by email. Some guides and outfitters will promise you the moon by talking to them, just to get at your MONEY. Best to get it in writing! Also when I have called and talked to guides and outfitters some are just full of Bullshit and lie.

Just for your information in BC and Alaska 1 out of 3 will be truthful with you about your expectations for your fishing or hunting trip especially if don't ask questions. IF you don't ASK Questions it is your fault.

So like some have pointed out, even though this guy decided to hunt with this outfitter, it was and is the outfitters responsibility to: oversee the welfare of his guides and clients, have emergency plans in place, and know the animals and terrain that his staff and clients are going to hunt, even if it is a new area and it was discussed they were going to hunt it, the outfitter should have scouted the terrain before sending his staff and hunters in there.

I do side 75% with the hunter if he did in fact ask questions and the fact that he did kill a goat and really has no reason for throwing this outfitter under the bus, other than to get some monies back for the flights in and out, and that there was not enough food and the hunters had to cook their own breakfast on the last morning. Sounds to me like quite a few loose ends need to be tidied up.

I side 25% on the outfitters part because we have yet to see the contract, and the fact that 90% of all guided hunts in BC that do require flights are to be paid for by the hunter(s), and are written on their websites and usually are on the contracts. and also the poorly thought out response by the outfitter, of course he is going to backup what his guide tells him.

As all of you can see the guide had little experience in guiding and knowing the terrain, the base camp cook was new, this outfitter is new at outfitting, being it is his fist year, there is never an excuse to run out of food, in the field or especially base camp. The outfitter made close to 50k on this one hunt alone, 1k flight out is not going to break him, after all it is for the wellbeing of his guide and hunter and as what happened with the recent death of one of his guides their wellbeing comes first and foremost. This is going to be one hard lesson for this new outfitter to learn. Unfortunately this lesson will turn into experience for this outfitter, just because this guy has guided for 26 years under his belt doesn't mean his staff has all that experience as well. They may also be under trained.

Bad Outfitters and guided trips like this is what gives the outfitting industry a bad name, and as always there are two sides to every story and of course there are other hunters in camp to backup whatever has been said by both parties. But as for what I read, this outfitter is just hurting his new founded company for a small price to refund this hunter. The outfitter needs to see the bigger scope of what this bad report is doing for his company. Post up the contract, this may renew my thoughts and those reading this post. After all we are potentially future hunters.

11-Jan-15
Dave, quick response, I am not the one on the hotseat here I am just posting my opinion as to what we have in font of us here in this post and of reading the outfitters response, I sense a little hostility in your question toward me though. Looking at and reading the top portion of the contact esp. item 1d in particular, it clearly states "ANY TRANSPORTATION TO/FROM & WITHIN THE AREA,(COMMA)" The wording in the contract includes ground and air and by water, by it stating "ALL". The outfitter would need to correct this for future clients to "GROUND" if he doesn't want to go through this BS again, and also clearly state all air transportation is the responsibility of the hunter(s).

You have the bull by the horns, looks to me you are in the right to pursue this, and have every right to be pissed and write this report. Can you post the lower part of the contract?

What are you looking to gain from posting this here? Have you pursued this with the BC Outfitters and Guides council, or have you taken legal action against the outfitter?

12-Jan-15
Judging by the few guided hunts I've been on, that contract is very simple. It really doesn't go into much detail. Thanks for your review. It does sound like the outfitter was not prepared and enrolled you in the idea knowing full well it probably wouldn't pan out.

12-Jan-15
Dave,

did I read correctly that you only took as much meat as the two of you could carry? That leads me to believe you guys just left some up there because your plane was coming.

Is that right, you guys just left it on the mountain? Do they not have wanton waste laws there?

sorry you had a bum hunt, that sucks. Congrats on the billy though, they are an awesome animal.

michael

12-Jan-15
Dave, I do have to tell you that I wrote the first sentence of my last post to see your reaction to it, and how you would respond if you felt negativity toward you- you passed my grumpy test.

I don't know how much you paid for the flights in total, but those monies need to be reimbursed by your outfitter to all clients that were on that hunt according to what is written on the contract.

Nothing wrong with being a little irritated or defensive about this issue, after all it happened to you. Can you get the other hunters in camp to put together the 500.00 to file the complaint?

If some on this post or other posts that have been made don't want to believe proof that is in front of them, well, they can learn the hard way. I for one have seen enough to never hunt with this outfit. One thing you need to do to have this go away is sue him or just chalk I up as a loss, at least you warned fellow hunters here if they want to believe or not.

Hope you can go on future hunts and enjoy them instead of having to worry what will go wrong, just remember to ask questions pertaining to all facets of the hunting trip. I know you shouldn't have to worry about most things, that's the point in hiring a outfitter to take care of the details, but some "outfitters" are just out for the money.

12-Jan-15
Hunted that area with Harry McCowan when he had the concession.He would fly hunters into high Alpine Lakes cutting down on the amount of bushwhacking.If we couldn't find goats he would fly into another Alpine Lake at his expense.He had about 25 Lakes that he could fly into and spike out from there but most goats were shot just day hiking up from Lake....neat setup

Harry had his own plane and was an excellent pilot so it help tremendously with the accessibility (and expense) issue of that concession.We didn't see many goats and my guide had a concern about the amount of wolves that were now there back then (12 years ago)I actually had a pack walk by us and there was alot of scat

• Sitka Gear