trkyslr 22-Oct-14
TD 22-Oct-14
njbuck 22-Oct-14
IdyllwildArcher 22-Oct-14
trkyslr 22-Oct-14
21-Oct-14

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
NOR-CAL 2014 BLACKTAILS AND GREAT MEMORIES.

So last year during deer season Ed (BOWUNTR) made a comment after Joe and I filled our first tags to “Finish strong” and fill my (our) second tag. Well long story short I lost a great buck on the last weekend of the season that was due to equipment failure, which I wouldn’t make again. So as this season was near Ed’s comment stuck with me in the back of my head and I was determined to finish this season strong, which added a little excepted pressure. As already posted August was a great start to the season as Joe, Cindy, Brent, and I tagged nice bucks during the archery season. This was just the first leg of finishing the season strong for me and as a team with Joe. This was my opening day early archery season heavy buck, which took tag number #1.

21-Oct-14

joehunter8301's embedded Photo
Later into the CA archery season I was perched up waiting on a buck to fill my first tag. A couple nights in the stand yielded some close calls but no tag punched. Night #3 things changed for the better and tag #1 was punched...

21-Oct-14

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
After my first early season buck I decided to hold onto my second tag until after elk season to pursue late season hard horned bucks in rut mode. So in September Brent and I filled our Az elk tags on two great bulls and had a great trip. Once my elk tag was filled it was time to return home and start scouting for late season bucks as they were transitioned to acorns as we had a huge black oak acorn crop this year. Heres a pic of my Az bull.

21-Oct-14

While trkyslr was chasin elk in AZ I was on the hunt to find a shooter for tag #2. I really wanted a rifle season hard horn dark coated buck so I patiently saved my second tag. Bucks were transitioning to their fall patterns so I had to change up my game plan and find them on acorns. Covering lots of ground looking for sign I found a buck that I wanted to put my tag on. His big frame and old body excited me as I love targeting super old mature bucks. After locating this guy hitting the acorns under a hot oak tree it was time to go into action. We had a 3 week gap between archery season and our general season so all I could do was hope his patterns wouldn't change. He was bedded close by and I located a few trails coming and goin to the oak but most the activity was in the mornin....gameplan set, ready for action.....

21-Oct-14

I had to hunt every other day due to work so my schedule was sporadic to hunt the first week. I was in a little bit of panic mode cuz I kno guys hunt the area with rifles. I even heard 6 different shots openin mornin in the stand which left my heart feeling empty. But I knew I had to just be there incase he showed up. Things worked in 3's for me this year cuz on the mornin of day 3 he showed up right at daylight an gave me a 22 yard shot...I sent the vpa 3 blade home an this is what I had to follow..

21-Oct-14

50 yards later I finally got to put my hands on the beast!!! I was jacked. My obsession is targeting a buck and taking them on their terms. This story fit that role to a "T"

21-Oct-14

All smiles for me and a great end to my CA season... But as you all know I don't roll solo. Time for trkyslr's strong finish :-)

21-Oct-14

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
So the late season scouting began and I concentrated on ridges covered with black oaks near an area I spotted a huge framed 4x4 back in July. After a few weeks of scouting I found an area with several oaks raining acorns with several beaten up deer trails in the area. Once a stand was hung it was time to hunt and see what was in store. I had seen several small bucks the frist few days but nothing that got me too excited. It as also cool to see the smaller bucks were showing a lot of pre-rut activity by making scrapes and rubs in view of my stand. On the 3rd evening sit I saw the big framed 4x4 I saw in July about 100 yards away through the brush as he was side hilling away from me. Once I saw him I decided I would pass on other bucks waiting for only him. He had a giant body and his neck was already swollen. On the 4th evening sit, I again saw good deer movement and at last light I heard two big bucks fighting in the thick cover. Their fight lasted 20 minutes into the darkness and I quietly slipped out the area. On the 5th evening sit I saw a few does and heard some bucks rubbing trees from down the hill but didn’t see anything close to my location. Here’s a pic of the big 4x4 as he came through the ridge my stand was set up on early in the morning before light.

21-Oct-14
Wow!

21-Oct-14

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
On my 6th day of hunting I had a good feeling by the amount of early deer movement around me. There was a cold front inbound and the moon was shrinking, which assisted. I had does and small bucks in view early and had nice 4 ½ year old 3x2 shredding a manzanita tree 30 yards away. The 3x2 stopped his assault on the tree then began checking all the does and was lip curling the whole time smelling the air. As I was watching him follow some does away from me another buck began shredding the same manzanita tree and it ended up being a possible shooter, but as he stopped his rub he looked up and sprinted through the brush in the same direction the 3x2 left after the does. As I was watching him run away from my location towards the other deer I heard a couple deer walk up the ridge towards me through the brush and it was a forked horn and the big 4x4. The 4x4 was on the same trail as the others and when he got 10 yards behind me he started shredding a different manzanita tree for a minute. Watching the bruiser beat up on the tree that close was awesome and I was jacked! After his assault instead of taking the same trail away from me towards the other deer that left he walked up the hill on a trail past my stand into a shooting lane. At 16 yards he turned broadside and I ended my pursuit by filing my second tag. He is the biggest bodied buck I have killed and had bone to match. During the recovery the one thing that kept running through my head was Ed’s comment and how I just finished strong. He taped out at 161 2/8” gross. What made this hunt awesome was the amount of rut activity I had witnessed. Now its time to chase turkeys and whiteys in the next few months.

21-Oct-14

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
This is one of my all time favorite bucks Ive killed, due to the exciting hunt and his appearance.

21-Oct-14

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
So in Joe and I's minds we finished strong with probably our best season to date. Our hard work's reward is what keeps us working hard and striving for success. We love bow hunting these Nor-Cal bucks! Soon it will be time to finish the year strong with turkeys and an Oklahoma whitey.

21-Oct-14
Way to go guys! That had to be fun! Joe, looks like that VPA is leaking alot of transmission fluid. LOL

21-Oct-14
Looks like y'all had a helluva season ! Congrats to all !

21-Oct-14
You sure did finish great, congrats guys!

21-Oct-14
You sure did finish great, congrats guys!

21-Oct-14
Heck of a season so far!!!

21-Oct-14
Each year I get more driven for success an we keep trying harder an harder to get better. Nothing motivates us more than simply our passion. We live eat an breathe this stuff. I agree as a team this is definitely our best season yet...but I'm hungry for more. I always say "you get out of something what you put into it!" I wish everyone the best of luck the rest of the year!

21-Oct-14
I'd say that was one helluva strong finish... I'm not the least bit surprised. Congratulations to both of you. Ed F

21-Oct-14
thanks guys and thanks Ed for the unknown drive via your comment from last year.

21-Oct-14
You guys did great this Year! Glad to see all your hard work paid off.

Looking forward to some turkeys hittin' the dirt!

Best of Luck, Jeff

21-Oct-14
Pretty deer!!!

21-Oct-14
Great season boys!

21-Oct-14
Nice! No surprise. Congrats guys!

21-Oct-14
Congrats to both of you! You guys know how to get the job done year in and out. Hats off to you....

21-Oct-14
Well that was a fun read,. Thanks guys for posting another excellent hunt recap. HUNT

21-Oct-14
Looks like a heck of a season! Way to get it done on great bucks.

21-Oct-14
Thanks guys!

21-Oct-14
Great job, way to get it done!

21-Oct-14
Awesome!

21-Oct-14
Heck of a year fellas!

21-Oct-14
what happened in Montana ?

21-Oct-14
thanks guys! city pm sent

21-Oct-14
Congrats to you guys once again. You seem to get it done every year.

21-Oct-14
Tell us we want to know what happened in Montana too.

21-Oct-14
Medical emergency prevented me from going tbm but thanks for following ;-)

21-Oct-14
Great season.

Great photography.

Hope you recovered from the medical emergency.

Whatever it was, don't do it in late March or April, please. :-)

21-Oct-14
Great thread guys! Congrats on all of your success!

Also love the different concepts on your photography too!

22-Oct-14
Writer and Troy thanks!

22-Oct-14
Well done! Enjoy!

22-Oct-14
I would say a very FINISH STRONG. beautiful deer & good read. Forrest

22-Oct-14
Congratulations guys!!!

... you guys are stone cold killers!

22-Oct-14
Way to take advantage of the blessed opportunities you were given. God Bless

22-Oct-14
Elkman. Cs an jf adventures! First class operation.

22-Oct-14
"Cs an jf adventures" lmao joe elkman all diy cs and jf style,,, not a chance on getting land owners name lol

22-Oct-14
Congrats guys, that was one heck of a season!

I hope they've delivered the second chest freezer already....

22-Oct-14
I feel like I say this every year, but congrats on another amazing season!

22-Oct-14
Awesome job again guys!

It's now a trend!

22-Oct-14
Thanks for comments guys! If was fun.

• Sitka Gear