huntmaster 23-Oct-14
MaBow 23-Oct-14
Dirty D 10-Nov-14
Russell 10-Nov-14
Ironbow 12-Nov-14
Jaquomo 12-Nov-14
SDHNTR(home) 12-Nov-14
21-Oct-14
Looking for a new jacket with Windstopper, maybe pants as well. Would want something bowhunter friendly (quite) and economic. Any suggestions?

21-Oct-14
For stand hunting in the cold I like Cabelas wooltimate.

21-Oct-14

XMan's Link
Dirty D,

I bought a WindStop System Fleece Jacket from Redhead (Basspro) last season for late Oct early Nov hunts ($90). I ended up continuing to use it as a layering garment late season in KS when the winds were torture and it worked well. I think this is 2014 model of the jacket. This is not a jacket you can use all season but its great to layer with when it gets real windy and cold. Very quiet.

XMan

21-Oct-14
Cabela's Berber Fleece w/Wind Shear, outstanding stuff and on sale....

21-Oct-14
Sitka Stratus or Sitka Fanatic.

21-Oct-14
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Any issues with the Windshear lining being too loud for bowhunting? I'm kinda leaning toward the Berber-Fleece or the Wooltimate, anyone know the pros/cons between the two?

21-Oct-14

Aaron Johnson's Link
The windshear lining should not be loud at all, Matt. I would stay away from the fleece, never have been a fan of the external fleece as everything in the woods sticks to it. I would probably lean towards the wooltimate.

I have an older heavy UA cold gear jacket, which is very wind resistant and some heavy wind resistant bibs I got from Academy. If the wind is not blowing they both feel like I'm in an oven and are quiet.

I got a pair of ArticShield boot covers for Christmas this year. My uncle swears by them creating a barrier between your feet and the stand and for overall foot insulation. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

21-Oct-14
I have Cabela's fleece version. Nice jacket but while it isn't loud, your 5 o'clock shadow rubbing against it will seem like a live band if it is truly still in the woods.

I have one suggestion. Go with a lightweight, uninsulated version. As Windstopper sweats you during physical excursion. So taking it off will be paramount if you are hiking terrain to get to your hunting, or while traversing steep ground while hunting.

A good wool base system, with a wool button up, under a wool vest or sweater, or fleece vest, topped off with the Windstopper jacket, your good to the lower teens easily, if you can keep your feet, hands, and head warm.

I have worn the Woolmate from Cabela's and while it is warm, it is simply too warm to wear while hiking, and much to bulky as a layering system if you use wool layering. It forces you to for go the vest or sweater which is essential in cold weather. And basically goes against what makes wool the best for layering under a windstopper fleece by inhibiting it's natural breath-ability and temperature regulation.

In other words, if your walking flat ground to get to your stand, and don't mind a big heavy, more bulky jacket, requiring less layering, get the woolmate. If you want the versatility to be able to use the Windstopper in a wide range of temps, and hunt in areas that require physical work, layer with wool and get the uninsulated fleece Windstopper.

I Didn't mean to get long winded, just trying to help you make the right decision. God Bless

21-Oct-14
I have a Mountain Hardware vest & Jacket that are great for blocking the wind. I hunted sheep in Wyoming's Wind River Range for 21 days & had a Sitka 90% jacket. Without the M.H. vest I wouldn't have been able to take the chill. The Sitka jacket let the wind blow right thru! Vest was a Great piece of gear! David

21-Oct-14
Sitka Jetstream....

21-Oct-14
Never had a Jetstream but a guy could die if he relied on the Sitka 90% in cold, windy conditions! David

22-Oct-14
Wooltimate is pretty good stuff, and I have multiple pieces. But it's pretty heavy and bulky.

I thought Wooltimate was the cat's ass until I bought Sitka Fanatic Jacket and Bibs. Spendy, but worth it if you spend a lot of time on stand in cold weather. And the newer stuff like Incinerator is probably even warmer

Bake

22-Oct-14
Ditto on 90% Jacket. Living in ND, it is closer to a 40% jacket. I wear a vest underneath if I want to stay warm. Once weather drops consistently below freezing, the 90% is used 0% of the time.

22-Oct-14
I have the Cabela's Legacy Fleece with windstopper and I think it works great here in Kansas. It's very quiet but as others have said it does NOT breathe, hence the windstopper. Just dress accordingly on your hikes to the stand and you'll be glad you have it once you're all set up.

22-Oct-14
I think the berber with windstopper is too loud, and the woltimate is way to bulky. Windstopper material is also way to warm (read: not breathable) for me. My solution: just layer and don't get hung up on "windstopper". A good layering system will, in fact, stop the wind.

22-Oct-14
I had a Cabelas Berber Fleece with windstopper and it was very loud. Defeats the purpose of fleece. On a still, cold morning there is no way you could get drawn. I like Sitka Stratus, well layered underneath.

22-Oct-14
still cant beat a lined KOM coat for cold weather stand hunting or just cold weather in general quite as it comes, cuts the wind and as warm as you can get! Pricey but it will last you a lifetime and your kids to..... hard to beat in my opinion. Plus the blowdown pattern is hard to beat! theres a new company out that rmsg carries that is identical for a couple hundred less than the KOM and haven't heard anything but positive feedback! good luck Matt! get ahold of me if youre interested Im down there all the time.... TrAVIS

23-Oct-14
I don't think the 90% jacket is intended to be used in the stated conditions. Wind River Range in just a 90% jacket? No thanks... maybe in early August.

I own one piece of Sitka gear and that is the Jetstream jacket. I never understood buying such expensive clothing for some of the milder conditions, which is why I went with the Jetstream. For active condition hunts in cooler weather it is a decent piece of gear. I wear it a fair amount for post season scouting/shed hunting here in Illinois as well. It is definitely quiet, but not economical.

23-Oct-14
I thought the 90% was intended for 90% of archery elk season.

Anyway I have a jetstream. I love it. I feel no wind on me at all. For temps into the 30's I wear my transverse top with a mountain hard wear light coat/mid layer and my jetstream.

23-Oct-14
For a stand hunter, the wooltimate is good (likely not as good as the Sitka, but also MUCH less $)

I have the jacket and pants and wear them alot in the colder months.....I agree with Bake, they are a bit heavy and bulky, but I pack them in and put them on at the tree so I never worried too much about it.

They do a good job with the wind and cold from my expereince.....they are also on sale alot at Cabelas if you watch their adds.

23-Oct-14

CAS_HNTR's embedded Photo
CAS_HNTR's embedded Photo
Here is the jacket in action on a warm January day.....it actually was too warm for the jacket and I was WAY overdressed!

23-Oct-14
I have 2 of the Sitka 90% jackets & can wear them 10% of the time! Their 90% name just means keep them in the closet 90% of the time! David

23-Oct-14
I wear my Jetstream almost exclusively on stand. Cuts the wind great and I just layer underneath depending on the temps.

23-Oct-14
I also wear a jetstream jacket but I wear it under my outer layer when it's windy. When it's real cold I wear a puffy coat under the jetstream.

10-Nov-14
Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I ended up going with the Cabels Wooltimate with Wind Shear. I’m curious to all those who have said it’s too loud. I wonder if they changed the material of the wind stopper lining? Because I honestly couldn’t tell it was in there. I definitely don’t think it created a noise issue. Haven't tried it out yet but I think it will work great once the temps drop and the wind picks up.

10-Nov-14

Russell 's Link
I have a set of Day One fleece ASAT with windstop. Very functional and designed by a bow hunter.

12-Nov-14
I would second the Day One stuff. Prices are reasonable, quality is excellent and you can have a choice of camo patterns and options.

Anyone that says layering without some kind of wind barrier hasn't spent much time in the wind! Yesterday morning it was 24 degrees with 30 mph winds gusting to 40. My wool coat with Comformax wind barrier still let the wind through enough I could feel it! I can't imagine what it would have been like without some kind of wind barrier.

12-Nov-14
Matt, I have the Wooltimate Ultimate and also the Berber fleece with Wind Shear. Both great. Never had an issue with noise. You made a good choice.

12-Nov-14
Sitka Stratus with Kelvin layered under.

I had some Cabelas berber fleece with Windstopper and it sounded like the liner was made of newspaper. So loud!

• Sitka Gear