lewis 22-Oct-14
lewis 22-Oct-14
ursman 22-Oct-14
Stayfit 22-Oct-14
carcus 23-Oct-14
scndwfstlhntng 23-Oct-14
Bob H in NH 23-Oct-14
21-Oct-14
My Switchback is causing shoulder/back problems to the extent that I have to see a massage therapist to keep shooting. I am 67 and have reduced my draw weight from 65 to 55 over the past 10 years. It's my left side and I am right handed. I stretch before shooting and weight train 3x per week.

Need advice on whether new bows (and which ones) are smoother or easier to draw - or is 55 pounds just 55 pounds no matter what the construction. I want to hunt for another 10 years or more. Thanks!

21-Oct-14
MRI and have Physical threapy, If Dr says so . I got out of both sh being operated on, with Therapy prior to Surgery, then keep doing the therapy on your own. An MRI is a little more Scientific than massage or Whirlpools. I am 66 and WIll bow Hunt for another 20 years . No goals other than to hunt now . Shot 85 pound bow for 25+ years. 65 Lb now, and can go to 70 for bison, when desired Still have my Sw back, but the new Hoyt Carbon 30 is much lighter .

21-Oct-14
The Switchback is a pretty smooth bow. I had to lay my 60/70 Outback aside and went to an Elite 55/65 set at 58. Pretty smooth but about all I can pull as my right shoulder was dislocated years ago and it's catching up to me. Along with some other stuff.........

21-Oct-14
Might be how you're drawing the bow rather than the bow itself.

21-Oct-14
Go see an Orthopaedic Surgeon that specializes in Shoulders.

Get a second opinion immediately if he recommends surgery.

That way, no more guessing.

I had an Infraspinitis Muscle Tear in my right shoulder near the socket, that was corrected by Physical Therapy. PT got me back to 90% function and no pain. Dropped to a 60 pound bow after that, and I am good to go.

My Surgeon recommended Physical Therapy as a first try to correct my constant pain and weakness. I was lucky.

The Physical Therapist said that my shoulder was "loosey goosey" with too much play in the socket, but that she would fix that.

She kept her word.

21-Oct-14
hmm a massage therapist my shoulder just started to hurt

21-Oct-14
I bought a Creed last year and it doesn't bother me just shooting but if I draw and have to let down it tears my left shoulder up! Cam seems real jumpy! Thinking of selling it even though it shoots great.

21-Oct-14
Look at a calendar, then look in a mirror and then get in touch with reality- your 67 not 37 anymore !!!

Just food for thought from another 67 year old.

Get a medical opinion from an orthopedic surgeon to see if you have an actual medical problem or just aging issue.

21-Oct-14
Don't shoot year around, only a month before the season, rest the shoulder in the off season, no need to shoot year around, although it is fun! I shot 80 pounds bows for years, now I'm shooting 60 pounders, get a smooth 6" BH bow like a rpm 360 and you can drop your weight and maintain the same power!

21-Oct-14
I shot a 70 pounder for years. Now I am at 65 and will drop it to 60 before next year's hunt. Will be 70 in May.

21-Oct-14
No structural problems. I shoot 20 arrow 3x a week prior to elk season and through the end of December. When I stop shooting the shoulder is OK. I will buy a new bow if that's the answer. Is the let off % less with new bows than my 7-8 year old bow?

21-Oct-14
Wapiti - clarify for me please. "Might be how you're drawing the bow rather than the bow itself."

22-Oct-14
Stayfit, do you do a stretching routine before shooting? Only takes a few minutes and most definitely helps me.

22-Oct-14
Check your form and draw length. I've had two operations on my draw shoulder. This weekend I added 1/2" to my usual draw length as an experiment. It repositioned my shoulder and really eased up stress. It all depends on the draw cycle of your specific bow...and whatever draw length you can accurately and comfortably shoot.

Also, take the inititiave to do work your shoulder muscles as a preventative measure. Every other day I do "rehab" excercises on both shoulders.

22-Oct-14
Help me understand how your left shoulder is hurting and you draw with your right shoulder. The right side is doing 90% of the work. That is unless you do the push/pull method like I do in a ground blind. That way can keep a compact profile inside and not have the arrow and bow to close to front of blind. May need to look at way you draw more than anything.

22-Oct-14
How much weight do you have on your bow? I tried a b stinger with one of the lighter weights and I had immediate shoulder pain in my bow arm. Went back to my old stabilizer and the pain went away.

22-Oct-14
I shoot a switchback but have drawn the 2014 hoyts and they are much smoother with the added let off that is very noticeable. I'm giving my switchback a few more years then upgrading.

22-Oct-14
The ease of the draw cycle and let down are more important than the age of the cams. Several of the new cams draw very smooth and easy, but let off very aggressively--this describes the Hoyt RKT cams that I currently shoot. Today's bows are much more efficient than those of 10 years ago and 60 lbs will put an arrow thru anything you shoot in North America! Good luck.

22-Oct-14
boothill...he probably has a damaged rotator or cartilage damage in his left shoulder. With that type of injury its very common to feel pain in the bow shoulder, changing draw method or draw length will do nothing. Since the shoulder is a ball socket, any pressure will induce pain.

22-Oct-14
I'll be 68 in Nov.had rotator repair surgery June 16 it was in my left shoulder and I am right handed it hurt like hell and I put it off for 2 yrs.Hoping I won't miss the whole season but not going to do anything crazy.I shoot a 32 hoyt alphamax set at about 60 lbs.I do want to know about all the smoothest bows out there because I might be in the market for a new one.Lewis

22-Oct-14
Thanks for clearing that up for me T8 and lewis. I had right shoulder issues years ago and finally got some therapy on it maybe 2 years ago. Helped tremendously with drawing the bow. Basically quit shooting for several years because of the pain.

22-Oct-14
Good ideas that I will work on! Maybe I am "pushing more with the left arm than pulling with the right." Been shooting 20 years and never thought about that.

Buffalo, "then look in a mirror and then get in touch with reality- your 67 not 37 anymore !!!" I did this and saw my grandfather... what now:)

To answer some of the questions: Shooting 55 lb, stretch before and after shooting. Lift weights 3x a week. Don't have damage that I know of - If I stop shooting for a week, all is normal.

Ideas on a new bow that is easier to draw than an 8 year old switchback, maybe with more let off?

22-Oct-14
"Don't have damage that I know of - If I stop shooting for a week, all is normal."

I convinced myself my injury was nothing. It always seemed to get better if I rested it.

I didn't go to the doctor until I started loosing sleep. The Doc said I kept damaging my shoulder by putting off seeing him.

That "self convincing to not see a Doctor", is also why our wives will out live us. Every time my wife feels something is wrong, she is off to the Doctor. We men will chop an arm off, put a bandaid on it, and continue to march.

LOL !

22-Oct-14
You will not know until you have a mri I promise.Lewis

22-Oct-14
Sound advice Lewis

22-Oct-14
Began my therapy for torn rotator cuff yesterday. Been trying to locate the force draw curves for the more popular bow brands with no luck. I spoke to a couple of manufacturers and they don't have draw force curves for their bows. I can help my problem by shooting a bow that allows me to draw the max draw weight for only 2 or 3 inches before it drops off. Is there such a bow? Also I've been told single cam bows are easier drawing. Norb Mullaney used to do bow testing that included draw force curves. Can't find any of those either. Any ideas out there?

22-Oct-14
Good input. Going to stop shooting for a week before I see an orthopedic doc. Maybe I can stop the inflammation with advil. If not, I will follow the advice - can't imagine being a rifle hunter again.

23-Oct-14
When you change to a 6" brace height bow from a 7" drop 10 pounds and you will lose nothing, still get the same speed as you are essentially adding a inch of drawlength, and the new 6 inchers shoot as well as 7 or 8" bh bows!

23-Oct-14
Sensible and useful thread, and nice not to see a string of comments demeaning physicians and their skills in working this out. Lots of reasonable personal advice, but the simple and single most important idea here is that the PROBLEM needed to be defined and then a plan of care to obtain a desired solution. Anything other than that is just "shooting in the dark". No one solution fits all. No one would take their car (or bow) to the "shop" and say " it makes noise so fix it, my friend needed a new X Y Z, so do that". For good or bad, we are all machines susceptible to wear and tear. Sometimes that results in problems that can be corrected with solutions that are acceptable and sometimes not. It also speaks to the value of earlier diagnosis and intervention: changing technique, physical therapy, or a regular specific exercise program to limit progressive damage. Like putting clean oil in your lawn mower each season?

I hope that it works out for you. There is nothing more disheartening than to be an archer for many years and then sustain an injury that might end it all. I personally hurt my drawing hand in July and am just now (maybe) coming through it with a lot of effort and a lighter bow. Yes, I am a physician so I take this theme personally

Best Steve

23-Oct-14
Things in your form can matter: - draw length to long will over stress the left shoulder joint

- position of the left shoulder at draw - do you keep it down to put the stress straight on the joint and minimize the stress the muscles have to hold?

I am currently fighting issues, ortho suspects strain on rotator cuff. However I can both shoot my bow, and golf 100% pain free.

Do a push up, or hell, lift my arm up over my head, ummmm, no.

Had MRI yesterday, see ortho #2 next week.

• Sitka Gear