LWood 22-Oct-14
SDHNTR(home) 22-Oct-14
Zackman 22-Oct-14
njbuck 22-Oct-14
bsbowhunter 22-Oct-14
21-Oct-14

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
After 3 years in the making, my double-pedestal mount of archery Columbian blacktails is in my home! Both of these bucks were taken during the 2011 California season. The total score for these bucks was 240". Thanks to everyone who helped on this including Dad, for helping me build the base, my buddy Shawn for the idea, John McGannon, for showing me his desert bighorn mount and changing my idea of what I wanted, and Richard Sawaske, for doing the taxidermy work and making all the ideas and materials come together.

21-Oct-14

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo

21-Oct-14

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
My Dad and I built the base and my taxidermist did all the scenery

21-Oct-14
Awesome Zack! Can't wait to see it in person over a cold one!

21-Oct-14

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
It took me until the next year to get a good summer cape for this buck. The buck's orginal cape was no good. This velvet deer scored 110"

21-Oct-14
Since I will never arrow two Columbian blacktail bucks in one California season that total more than 240", I wanted to do something special. I could think of no better way to display them than this

21-Oct-14

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
I'll throw this in just for fun...my archery blacktail wall. I hope to add to it in a couple weeks on Kodiak!

21-Oct-14

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
I was lucky on this late-season California Columbian blacktail. I arrowed this buck a few days before Thanksgiving and it stretched the tape to 130" and officially netted B & C. I may never tag another blacktail this big while bowhunting!

21-Oct-14
Outstanding!

21-Oct-14
Best display I ever seen. Def very appealing

21-Oct-14
Thanks guys.

Chris, I keep plenty of cold beer in the fridge. You are welcome to them anytime. Joe has already been by to share a few.

21-Oct-14
Very nice!! I am glad I stopped shooting big critters. The Taxi bill was getting out of hand:)

21-Oct-14
Zack..that velvet looks very nice. can you say who did the freeze dry or preserving there?

21-Oct-14
Beautiful.... Ed F

21-Oct-14
Looks really nice !

21-Oct-14
Tadpole,

I sent it to Huffman Taxidermy/World Fauna Taxidermy in Colorado. I have sent two velvet blacktails there and have been surprised at how well they turn out. I have tried injection and keeping it in a house freezer for several months with other mounts, but nothing I have found works better than freeze-dried.

It costs about $75 bucks to do a blacktail. Mule deer would be more because they charge based on the amount of space it will take in the freezer. If you are not worried about having them scored for Pope and Young, etc. you could always bust the skull in two and they would take less space.

21-Oct-14
Beautiful. Congrats to you!

21-Oct-14
Very nice! David

21-Oct-14
Stud! Good luck on the island, off to POW here soon...

22-Oct-14
Looks great, Zack. Good luck on Kodiak as well.

22-Oct-14
Wow, that is gorgeous! Really well done. And Zack, congrats on your new position as CBH Records Chair!

22-Oct-14
Thanks guys.

George, good luck on POW!

Lenny, see you in Phoenix in April. I'll buy you a beer!

Nate, thank you and I look forward to stepping my tiny feet into the giant shoes Ed is leaving behind. I hope to do half as well a job as he has for CBH.

22-Oct-14
Very nice, congrats.

22-Oct-14
Awesome mounts! I like the way they are peering from around the back of the tree, reminds you of what you see while hunting. Well done!~

• Sitka Gear