loprofile 22-Oct-14
smarba 22-Oct-14
Sage Buffalo 22-Oct-14
smarba 22-Oct-14
milnrick 22-Oct-14
writer 23-Oct-14
Fuzzy 23-Oct-14
22-Oct-14
For those who have tried Aoudad meat, how is it?

22-Oct-14
horrendous

22-Oct-14
Do a search for past threads, also under "Barbary sheep".

A handful of people like MM81 say "bad" but between me and close friends we've eaten close to a dozen and all very good.

Just like anything get the meat cold ASAP & keep it clean - Gutless Method is my preference.

I will say that in general it is tough as leather - even backstraps - so I just grind it all into burger and it's very mild.

Definitely a favorite meat at our house and we're picky eaters.

22-Oct-14
I shot a 20" ewe and the meat was good. It's not as tender as axis or black buck, but isn't tough like sheep or goat. Which stands to reason, they're not a sheep or a goat.

22-Oct-14
Smarba

Do you mix anything with the aoudad meat to make your burgers

22-Oct-14
1 part aoudad to 99 parts ground sirloin. serve with red wine

22-Oct-14
1 part aoudad to 99 parts ground sirloin. serve with red wine

22-Oct-14
All burger (elk, deer, Barbary, etc.) I have 5% beef suet added just to get some fat for flavor and to help it stick together.

But I'm definitely not one that feels you need to dilute Aoudad/Barbary to hide the flavor.

It's very good. That's ewes all the way up to large rams; every one has been great table fare with no need to add a bunch of spice/chiles/onions (which I can't stand to eat in the first place).

22-Oct-14
What is the average age of an Aoudad when shot? I know I've read that they live to 20 years old.

If you are shooting an animal that is 7-10+ years old of course you should make it into burger and roasts. NO animal will be tender at that age.

22-Oct-14
I doubt many (any?) live to that age in the wild. I killed a 21" ewe & 28" ram; both in the ~8-year range.

First one I killed was younger ewe and that set the precedent for tough eating, so truth be told have never checked any subsequent, just ground them.

We eat a ton of ground meat since it's so versatile.

I'd much rather eat a burger than a chewy steak.

22-Oct-14
Millie shot one 6 or 7 years ago, meat was 'OK' from a flavor perspective, back strap was removed when we killed it, aged and then grilled. It was just OK. We ended up grinding the rest of it had burgers and chili.

We've had the opportunity to shoot them since and have passed.

23-Oct-14
I've shot an 8 year-old bighorn that was very tender, Sage.

A buddy who won't eat antelope, and isn't a huge fan of elk, loves aoudad.

23-Oct-14
nasty, give it all to me ;-)

• Sitka Gear