r-man 24-Oct-14
Nctrapper 26-Oct-14
Charlie Rehor 26-Oct-14
cityhunter 26-Oct-14
jdouin 26-Oct-14
sagittarius 26-Oct-14
nutritionist 29-Oct-14
23-Oct-14
I attached a tag from a seed mix. There are many things that at times makes me shake my head and this is one of them. Instead of me chiming in right away as to the things I really don't like about this mix, how about you all look over this tag and see what things you might question about it. What might you like about this mix and what might you see on a tag that makes you go hmmmmmmmm. I blocked the name of the product and company. It is designed for more shady and isolated areas.

This seed sells for around $20 per 10 lb bag and seeding rates are around 40 pounds per acre.

23-Oct-14
I don't see the tag

23-Oct-14
Do you hear voices as well? Mike

23-Oct-14
I don't buy mixes. Buy certified seed and mix yourself. Mixes always have something I don't want or consist mainly of a cheap seed that's greatly marked up.

24-Oct-14
You blocked the entire picture out as well

24-Oct-14

nutritionist's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Ok, lets try this again. Maybe big brother stepped in....

As for links comments...That's a broad general statement that isn't all that accurate. There are many good mixes and also some that are not sound science and are about making a lot of money.

If the pic is posted, I want to get people's opinions on a mix like this.

24-Oct-14

Ok, lets try this again. Maybe big brother stepped in....

As for links comments...That's a broad general statement that isn't all that accurate. There are many good mixes and also some that are not sound science and are about making a lot of money.

If the pic is posted, I want to get people's opinions on a mix like this.

24-Oct-14
Why buy a bag of seed with 54% inert matter?

WOW!!! Try to sell a mix with 55% of it being no good?

Bake

24-Oct-14
Bake, this is why I want people to understand how to read tags and to know what to look for. I'll comment more once we get more feedback on it. There are many mixes like this in the industry. I use to work for a distributor that sold numerous companies food plot products like this and I couldn't sell them.

There are more elements in this mix that should stand out but I want to see what else is caught.

24-Oct-14
Yes, the inert matter is too high. What about the 80% germination rate - 20% is dead? I don't think that's good. Hi John! BC

24-Oct-14
80% germination count isn't all that a-typical depending on the company. Some companies 80% might be more like 85% or higher as they won't want to fail a germ count test. Seed sitting on shelves a while tends to drop some. But deer typically do not like to eat grasses. Some grasses deer pretty much won't eat unless there is nothing else to eat.

The things that should stand out is in the industry typically coated seed contains 1/3 coating. This seed has over 50% coating and there is only 1 reason for that.

This mix will cover the ground but there is a low amount of pure live seed and a low percentage of forage that the deer will actually eat. And it's from a popular company. There are many many more tags like this out there on mixes that some people post as one's they use.

I love it when people show me tags and let me break down whats in them and what they should be priced at and what is the pros and cons of the mix.

24-Oct-14
the odds of near every thing have 80% sends a red flag up, as well as the coating 54%,it seems they claim only 4% inert ? whats the rest

26-Oct-14
Annual rye should be considered a weed from hunters. Gives the illusion of a great stand from the product. Only should be used if there is a high threat of erosion on steep slopes.

26-Oct-14
Yep, big brother!

26-Oct-14
whats buckbuster rape !!!! and whitetail 906590 oats ?

26-Oct-14
9% annual ryegrass, over half is inert matter. This is a joke.

26-Oct-14
cheap rape, rye grass, little clover, and 54% inert matter .... Even if I got this stuff free, it would not go in any of my foodplots ... maybe a logging road?

29-Oct-14
in the industry, names are all about branding. Just like daikon radish. There might be 30 different names for it and everyone claims theirs is better. There are very few types of rape out there. If I see a pic of any rape, I can tell you the genetic background and maturity of it.

Annual ryegrass is ground cover. Most grasses aren't palatable to deer. Some high sugar perennial ryegrasses aren't bad and i'm experimenting with some.

• Sitka Gear