sureshot 30-Oct-14
CT bow junkie 30-Oct-14
Buckeye_Hunter 31-Oct-14
Tracker 02-Nov-14
TurkeyBowMaster 02-Nov-14
writer 02-Nov-14
Tracker 02-Nov-14
23-Oct-14
Taking the heavy arrow approach to the next level this season. My finished arrow weighs 758 grains. Shooting surprisingly flat and it moves a 60 pound target back every time it hits. Already got full penetration on an elk that was hit in the shoulder blade. Shooting it out of a 70 pound Hoyt. I will keep y'all posted on how it performed in the field. My hopes is it will open up shot angle options and that will make up for the loss in speed.

23-Oct-14
You've got it goin on now. That is one violent weapon you've got there.

Good for you.

23-Oct-14
I would be curious what you get for speed, have you put it through a chrono yet?

24-Oct-14
"Open up shot angle options".... in other words shoot at any presented angle or part of an animals anatomy hoping for the best just because it 'a a heavier bow with a heavier arrow? Pretty irresponsible statement! There are only two possible ethical shooting angles period! Broadside or slightly quartering away!

24-Oct-14
I'm shooting the 300 mag if bowhunting...any angle will be a good angle. I'm going to crush them deers and pin em to the ground.

24-Oct-14
TBM. I see you have a sense of humor. No responsible hunter takes low percentage shots even with a rocket launcher.

24-Oct-14
It ain't braggin if it's true! Regardless of your arrow weight, you need to figure out how much KINETIC ENERGY you are working with. I have 98 lbs so I can shoot through small buildings if needed. It's like an 88 magnum! (Johnny dangerously). Check out the kinetic calculator in the bowsite tool section. Mike

24-Oct-14
Reminds me the time I caught the same bass 5 times in one day on the same lure. That was one real dumb bass.

24-Oct-14
"There are only two possible ethical shooting angles period! Broadside or slightly quartering away!"

This statement has been proven to be false time and again. I guess the semantics of ethics could be argued as usual, but there are other clear paths to the vitals that have shown to produce as good or better results in the right hands.

24-Oct-14
Are you shooting Grizzly Sticks TBM?

24-Oct-14
finally a setup worthy of the texas heart shot.... It was just a matter of time before someone got to this advanced level of thinking...

24-Oct-14
A friend of mine is 6ft6 and shoots a 33 inch draw, arrows are full lenght 2315's with hammerheads that open to 2 inches. His bow is a older 15 year old cam bow with 65 letoff. He shoot 75 lbs as he is a lean 275 lbs.. I only wish I new what speed and arrow weight he shoots. I think he shot thru every deer he has shoot with that setup. I'm guessing he's shooting about the same weight as u or close to ur 758. Love to see where the arrow would end up on a whitetail frontal shot at 20 yds. eD

24-Oct-14
Still laughing at Fuzzy!!!

24-Oct-14
I think after the 4th time my dumb bass would have thrown him on the bank...

24-Oct-14
Good set-up TBM. When they are quartered too hard you need a heavy arrow to get all the way through to the ham.

24-Oct-14
hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about !

I'm at 63# and 600 total weight

24-Oct-14
That should be the perfect hamblaster salvo.

24-Oct-14
Better than 4 gpp and 400fps but damn I'm getting a KE of 100+

24-Oct-14
"There are only two possible ethical shooting angles period! Broadside or slightly quartering away!"

What? For you maybe with less powerful and lethal equipment.

SB, What is more ethical.... building more durable, heavier arrows with more momentum and blowing thru anything it hits on a deer?...OR shooting a lighter, faster, less durable arrow at deer out to 50+ yards and getting zero penetration on any shot other than the perfect soft tissue rib cage?

Pretty obvious isn't?

Why is it that the one's who shoot the lighter faster arrows think that shooting an "overkill" weapon, as many call it, is not good or not the better way?

And yes, TBM's weapon above will allow for more shot opportunities at different angles than those who shoot a less lethal setup. That is very simple, obvious and ethical.

24-Oct-14
I think I can get away with quartering in to me angles at close range where the shoulder really comes into play. When you consider that a deer is 300% more likely to offer a 1/4 to shot over broadside, and consider that a deer is 75% more likely to spook while waiting for the broadside shot, the heavy arrow combined with a great coc broadhead is monumental in what it can do in terms if opportunitie.

24-Oct-14
Heavy arrows rock!

Should blow thru those turkeys down there real nice. LIKE butter on a hot KniFE

24-Oct-14
The way TBM trolls, he may catch that "real dumb bass" a bunch more times.

24-Oct-14
Archery95,

Please explain those different angles Sapcut?

If the shots present themselves.....1/4 frontal, straight frontal, 1/4 away and get thru opposite shoulder area.

Please explain to me why there are only two ethical shots opportunities and why "overkill" is frowned upon by those shooting the "fast, flat and far" weapons?

BTW....don't forget, the overkill rigs will also blow thru on the perfect shot placement. Nothing to loose.

24-Oct-14
Nice. I had a 674gr set up a couple years ago shooting from a 62# Athens Ibex. Trajectory like a rainbow but it hit like a spear and just kept on going after passing through everything it hit.

24-Oct-14
Your infatuation with fast and flat blinds you, and so many others from the facts....and an unbiased conversation.

25-Oct-14
I think there is something missing in the calculation because my 540 grain arrows don't even make to to the bottom of the target and the 758's slide it across the ground. The heavy arrows hit so much harder. Archery95 you are acting just like hammer and ignoring the facts. I just shot through an elks shoulder blade and clean through the elk at a hard angle. Heavy arrows have been doing that long before ke was invented.

25-Oct-14
I've never got the light arrow theory!? The gun guys get it, the trad guys get it and "some" compound guys get it? All I hear is speed, speed, speed....? Rarely do I not get a pass thru....a lot of wheelie friends seldom do. You'd think people would start catching on? They shoot 140 fps faster than me but within 25 yards or so who cares I get two holes to their one. Good for you TBM push that envelope! I wish others would!

25-Oct-14
There is a happy medium. I think you can get too heavy.

25-Oct-14
You are putting all your trust in ke and formulas. Formulas work on paper but rarely in the real world. Look at all those space shuttles that hit the ground. On paper they should have flown without a hitch...The bumble bee can't fly on paper, but does in the real world. Forget you ever heard of ke and get out there and try stuff in the real world and you will be enlightened.

25-Oct-14
I have heard momentum was a better predictor of penetration than ke.

25-Oct-14

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
450 to 500 grain is perfect for elk or moose, no need to go any heavier, and for deer, I drop weight, 350 gr and still get passthroughs. Shoot a proper spined fmj and your good to go for anything. Picture is a front leg bone of a moose, fmj tipped with a exodus BH completely shattered the front leg bone blowing it into shards and penetrating 24"s, and that's shooting 60lbs and my draw is only 28". Why would you want a slow arrow that's going to make you miss if you miss judge a little on your distance, doesn't make sense!

25-Oct-14
Archery, KE ain't it. Speed ain't it. I agree, at some point I would think an arrow can get too heavy and cause a trajectory that is just too undesirable and it could get too heavy that it could not be propelled from a bow shooter.....but noone you or I know are even close to that. But there are plenty of guys on the extreme other end of the spectrum with light enough arrows to NOT get good penetration. BTW....it is a given that we're talking about real resistance bone contact. Not perfect shots. I am getting in a tree right now with a 1015 grain arrow with my 71# recurve. It is FAR from being too heavy at 20+ yards. It has a very desirable trajectory and is not fond of stopping when hitting a deer at most any angle. Not to mention the perfect broadside shot I hope for.

25-Oct-14
TBM. I shot a similar set up years ago w/ a 2419 and a 160gr Snuffer. Like you said, shooting w/ a 300mag bow! Killed 22 deer with it and several were shots that others are calling irresponsible. Another thing, that 80lbs bow was soooooo much quieter and smoother at the shot w/ that heavy arrow.

25-Oct-14

25-Oct-14
It really pains me to say this, but;

I agree with Archery95. I never dreamed I'd ever say that...

Anyway, It's important to find a "happy medium". You can have an arrow that's too light and you can have an arrow that's too heavy. The KINETIC energy calculator doesn't lie. Mike

25-Oct-14

Sapcut's Link
Archery95.

Try this.

25-Oct-14
"An arrow’s momentum is also a part of the arrow’s kinetic energy - the only part that relates to its ability to penetrate. Dr Knowitall" Pg 12.

Hmmmm, Mike

25-Oct-14
"Kinetic energy does not enter directly into any of the calculations relating to penetration. THE KINETIC ENERGY CARRIED BY AN ARROW AT IMPACT HAS NO DIRECT BEARING ON ITS ABILITY TO PENETRATE.Dr Youknow"

This is semantics, pure an simple. Mike

25-Oct-14
"(1) Maximize the bow’s efficiency. That means shooting the heaviest arrow one can while still maintaining a trajectory that is adequate for ethical bowhunting ranges. Most bows show a rapid increase in efficiency with increasing arrow mass up to the point of approximately 12 to 14 grains of arrow mass per pound of bow draw weight. (The exact point where the rate of efficiency increase begins to decline varies from bow to bow and shooting style to shooting style. Dr. Ashby"

Dr. Ashby is far smarter than us, specially me. Mike

25-Oct-14
The large majority of bowholders choose their arrow based on the arrow's ability to fly flat for a long distance. It is not chosen because said arrow above penetrates better than a heavier arrow. But yet, the same will argue that penetration is the reason for a fast flat arrow because it provides more KE.

Again, the personal preferences skew the facts of a rational conversation.

25-Oct-14
You cannot reason with the unreasonable. Doesn't matter if it's religion, politics, or arrow weight, those that are proponents of the extreme, either way, simply cannot be reasoned with. To attempt to do so is nothing short of an exercise in futility.

25-Oct-14
That's heavy

25-Oct-14
758 GRAINS OF PAIN is right.... wow!

... it has been painful.

25-Oct-14
Has anyone tried 12-14 gpp and found that it penetrates less than 5-6 or 7-8 or 9-10?

I'm genuinely curious to know what people have tried and are basing their decisions on.

25-Oct-14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLcRjNp9R8

25-Oct-14
Do the water buff or elephant bowhunters build and shoot a heavier, slower arrow so that they can decrease or diminish there penetration results?

25-Oct-14
If I ever draw a tag for water buffalo or elephant here in Wyoming, I'll be sure to keep this thread in mind!

25-Oct-14
I wonder how he got that hippo to pose for those shots

25-Oct-14
Archery,

Yes a 100# with a 1000 grain should be considerably faster than mine. And...?

The first thing that is alarming to me is the entrance angle of the arrows. Mighty catawampus.

If I heard him right the first arrow is 455 grains and smaller diameter than the second arrow that was 650 grains. I think it is safe to say that nothing important can be assumed from those two arrows shot one time.

I ask again...Do the water buff or elephant bowhunters build and shoot a heavier, slower arrow so that they can decrease or diminish there penetration results?

25-Oct-14
So to heavy is a bad thing. Hmmm.

25-Oct-14
So many are victims of the rubber deer era where speed is the only thing factor in. My arrows might be a little heavy...in fact I was shooting for around 680 and ended up a little heavier.

25-Oct-14
"I ask again...Do the water buff or elephant bowhunters build and shoot a heavier, slower arrow so that they can decrease or diminish there penetration results?"

Finish the question.... Do they also use high poundage bows with the heavy arrows? 90, 100+lbs? What's the reason for that?

25-Oct-14
Archery,

My question to you has nothing to do with that video. I am just asking the question.

When more fortunate bowhunters than I take a trip to shoot ginormous animals they do not use their normal light and fast deer arrows. They bump up the weight...alot. Why do they do that if the light and fast arrows you speak of will penetrate better than a slower heavier arrow shot from same bow? This is very easy to understand.

25-Oct-14
Hmmmm. So they go up on weight and speed both. Seems they must know more than us on arrow weight and speed then. Could there be a sweet spot magic arrow weight after all. Lol.

Relax just messing about

25-Oct-14
Well then....

If they are going to use a 90# bow instead of the 70# bow, why wouldn't they just use the same 450-500 grain deer arrow? Wouldn't it be faster with more KE than a slower 1000 grainer? Isn't KE what you say is the best penetrating indicator?

25-Oct-14
"The people that know what they are doing like Cam Haynes "

What in the world has he done to blow smoke up his rear. I invite him to Alabama to try some of our game and see how he fares. Come on man!!

25-Oct-14
I'll take that as...."Well I guess KE isn't the best penetration factor after all".

25-Oct-14
Cam Hanes??? I'm laughing hard right now...what a joke.

25-Oct-14
http://www.qdma.com/articles/momentum-beats-speed-for-lethal-arrow-hits http://tuffhead.com/education/formulas_momentum.html http://www.africanarcher.com/momentumKENETICS.html

25-Oct-14
Interesting. However, how can momentum beat speed, since speed is a factor in the formula for determining momentum? By definition, if speed can be so easily dismissed, then the same can be said for momentum, which most will agree is an absurd statement. Most reasonable people understand that a reasonably weighted arrow, shot at a reasonable speed, will give you reasonable trajectory AND reasonable penetration.

I have only seen two reasons given for shooting excessively heavy arrows. One is that it allows you to break through heavy bone, in case your shot is a little off. In other words, a heavy arrow will bail you out of a piss poor shot. Not necessarily true.

The other reason is that it "allows more shot opportunities at different angles". In other words, it gives the shooter an excuse to take bad/risky shots, since once again, the heavy arrow will bail them out. Again, not necessarily true.

25-Oct-14
"Most reasonable people understand that a reasonable weighted arrow, shot at a reasonable speed, will give you reasonable trajectory AND reasonable penetration."

I totally agree....hence the problem. Perhaps too many bowhunters are satisfied with hoping to get "reasonable" penetration.

I haven't seen where anyone is shooting "excessively heavy arrows".....??

25-Oct-14
Archery95 and Wyobullshooter.

Can you answer this question?

If they are going to use a 90# bow instead of the 70# bow, why wouldn't they just use the same 450-500 grain deer arrow? Wouldn't it be faster with more KE than a slower 1000 grainer? Isn't KE what you say is the best penetrating indicator?

25-Oct-14
Why even bring up Cam's name on a heavy arrow thread. What's he got to do with it. What's he know about southern deer? Nothing!! Open country he hunts yields any shot you want. Here you have to take what you can get or pass if you are not comfortable with the angle. It happened today on my son's first hunt of the season. Doe came out of the thick, offered a 1/4 to shot at 12 yards...he passed because he only shoots 50#. The doe turned and 2 steps later was back in cover. I could have killed her with my setup.

26-Oct-14
Spook is from the south so I know he can hunt because his leather has been tested by tough southern game...although Tennessee game is not as tough as Alabama but still tough. Boy we need a level playing field in a tough area to eliminate most of these pretenders who cleverly market themselves.

26-Oct-14
archery95, yep, like I posted before, you can't rationalize with irrational people. However, it's hard for me to bite my tongue when some continually talk out of their a$$. ;-)

""I haven't seen where anyone is shooting excessively heavy arrows"....."

Let's start with 758gr, then we'll move on to your 1015gr arrow.

If someone is shooting WT's out of a treestand at known distances, at relatively close range, then shooting an arrow with the trajectory of a rock probably isn't much of an issue. If that arrow is tuned to your bow, and that's what gives you confidence, then have a ball.

However, there are many of us that hunt critters other than WT's out of a treestand at known distances, at relatively close range. In that case, trajectory MUST be taken into account. There are many/most times when you must take shots without the luxury of ranging the animal before the shot. Obviously, it is imperative that this range estimation be precise. The greater the trajectory, the greater the chance of error. The greater the error, the more chance there is of a wound/miss. That isn't opinion, that is fact.

If you're hunting out of a stand, you can open up/create shooting lanes. If not, there are things called obstacles. Trees have limbs, which quite often hang down into potential shooting lanes. Again, the greater the trajectory of your arrow, the greater the chance those limbs come into play. Those that actually hunt, rather than try to gain our knowledge out of reading books, understand this.

That's why there should be a balance between arrow weight and speed. Again, reasonable people understand this. Those that have an obsessive love affair with obscenely heavy arrows never will.

26-Oct-14
Still want to know did you run it thru a chrono? if so what were your results? I bought some Byron F. heavy hunters and was contemplating setting them up for my Allegiance.

26-Oct-14
I have an idea....If you have everything together like you pretend, why not stop depending on a mechanical range finder to get your distance and sights to know where your arrow might shoot?

IMO, when an arrow stops when meeting a bone...it is excessively light. When an arrow blows thru said bone...it is not execessively heavy.

BTW....why are you avoiding my question above?

26-Oct-14
I have some gold tips with 100 grain brass incerts and I might shoot a couple with those and see how they compare to the 758's.

I don't ever range anything or step off yardage or clear lanes. Most of my shots are fairly close so a heavy arrow is not as stupid a choice as what 90% of the modern archers with modern high performance bows are doing...shooting so light an arrow that they don't get good penetration on poor angles and what's even worse they are not shooting any flatter trajectory with the light arrow because it is too light to absorb the bows energy.

I posted how to do a true and accurate trajectory test last year I I could tell by the responses that my instructions went over most everyone's heads and the large majority do not want to know that they are wrong and are using the wrong arrow. Wait until the new 350 fps Hours come out. Those bows are going to shoot 500 grain arrows just as flat as 350 grain but if you don't follow my exact instructions for a trajectory test you will never know it.

26-Oct-14
"I have an idea....If you have everything together like you pretend, why not stop depending on a mechanical range finder to get your distance and sights to know where your arrow might shoot?"

Oh gosh, I don't know, maybe it's because I'm human and humans aren't quite as accurate as laser rangefinders. I do just fine without one, but since an animal's life is at stake, it would be rather stupid of me, or anyone else, not to take advantage of said laser rangefinder when presented with the opportunity. Again, that's something that someone that actually hunts would understand.

Tired/bored of beating my head against the wall. Exit stage left.

26-Oct-14
So for tiny southern deer you need 758 grain arrows, must be heavier boned than these large canadian bucks I've been shooting? I even put my 465gr fmj's away after elk and moose as they are to much for deer and shoot my 350 gr arrows, funny thread, you can sure tell who is actually experienced! Common sense verses book smart

26-Oct-14
This is an interesting discussion. It started when smokeless power was developed. What kills better, speed or momentum. I read both arguments. If you want flat trajectory then speed wins. TBM is wrong to say there is no difference.I will ,however, agree with him that the difference is manageable. At close ranges the point is moot. If I was faced with an angry bear I would certainly be happier to have a very heavy spear in my hand than a very fast flyswatter.

26-Oct-14
TBM, all you do is whine about only having close shots, and then you say you never trim shooting lanes. A lot of the areas I hunt I only have 15-20 yard shots, until I cut a few shooting lanes.

26-Oct-14
Archery95, why are you avoiding my question....why not use the faster 450 gr. arrow rather than the 1000 grainer from the 90# bow?

26-Oct-14
Here's another one that should be simple enough for you. Why are spears heavy and slow?

Are they slow because they're heavy or are they heavy because they're slow...due to man's inability to throw a stick with any speed?

26-Oct-14
Archery95 You missed my point entirely( or I didn't present it well) you need energy transfer to do damage. I would much rather get hit by a semi at 1 mph than a sports car at 160. The semi would push me out of the way so I could transfer the energy into body motion. The sports car would have a lot of momentum and impact velocity so it would mess me up badly. . I have yet to see an arrow of zero weight but I would not be hurt by one at 1000fps. Conversely If I had a 1000# arrow at zero mph it wouldn't hurt me. We live in the middle zone so we can argue about two viable schools of thought.

26-Oct-14
Some random thoughts:

People use heavy arrows in Zimbabwa and other African countries because it's the law. In Zimbabwe there is a 700 grain minimum and 80 ft-lbs of KE minimum to hunt elephant and hippo. Kind of meaningless without regulations on broadhead and shaft diameter too, IMO.

Getting an arrow to 700 grains and above frequently makes the arrow stiffer and/or changes the FOC too. So when you change 2 or more variables, how do you know which variable increases penetration (if any actually does)?

Asking "why are spears heavy..." and saying "I'd rather be hit by a truck going ....", etc. are red herrings. They are bogus comparison and have nothing to do with the question at hand. Only controled tests can do that.

Controled tests I have done and the one controled test I've seen on YouTube show there is very little if any difference in penetration between heavy and light arrows at relatively close range. This is true for both both soft and hard target media.

Your experience on animals may differ, but that is not a controled test. For one thing, animal movement has the same effect as an untuned bow. Do your own controled test to see what you are really gaining or losing with a heavy arrow.

I know, too much fun to just argue. Why let facts get in the way.

26-Oct-14
Interesting debate. Been there done that. Same stuff different day.

In testing lite won out for me by a little but on hunting shots I went heavier.

26-Oct-14
The law? Why? I cant believe with all the experience with large, hard to kill dangerous game they don't know that the lighter, faster arrow will penetrate the best.

26-Oct-14
yea...Why don't they just require a heavier bow so it can propel a faster lighter arrow. Wonder why they don't require that..after all KE is the name of game according to the fast flat and far crowd.

26-Oct-14
"I HAD TO EDIT to BETTER ILLUSTRATE MY POINT"

Broadhead integrity and arrow integrity, is far more important to not having to be as selective with your shots, than pure arrow weight. It just so happens, you can't get either of those two without adding a lot of weight to an arrow. You should start with a heavy single bevel head, like a Tuffhead, or some other well made head. You should go on to adding a footing, which adds a lot of weight. Which equals a heavy arrow with higher foc. Single bevel, all but indestructible under hunting scenerios, on a footed arrow, out of a modestly heavy bow, with an arrow that won't give upon impact equals shoot when you want. Is it for me for killing deer or most anything else? Nope, not really. And it isn't required for anyone else if they choose differently. You guys misunderstand Ritchie. He isn't saying you have to adhere to his idea of it. However, he is saying those realities are indisputable and undeniable. And they are. God Bless

26-Oct-14
I really didn't think this would be a debate. I just wantto see how the fmj will perform. I shot the 2219 last season and it was a beast. My performance was off the charts. I figured the fmj was an improvement. It is heavier, produces a straightener flying arrow, is smaller in diameter and slicker.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with flexing muscles if you've got em. If you don't know how to hunt then by all means shoot a 300 grain arrow....but don't knock those of us who rock the hunting world with dozens if 10 yard shots every year.

Learn to hunt and everything else will take care of itself.

26-Oct-14
The 10 yard Rockers.....

26-Oct-14
Top Pin Pros

26-Oct-14
Top Pin Pros

27-Oct-14
The 10 yard Rockers? Top Pin Pros? C'mon, Man!

Here's a couple excerpts from TBM's elk hunt this year. Maybe, just maybe, stop the chest thumping just long enough to give a little clarification.

"The first shot of the first elk I can't be sure what happened. It went between his antlers on a frontal shot where I was trying to arch the arrow over a crest in a hill and into his chest. The bull was around 30..."

"The second shot...was a frontal shot at an alert bull at what was something like 40 yds."

Heck, keep pulling those stunts and you might have your 10 yard Rockers and Top Pin Pros memberships revoked! Just sayin'.

However, this next one REALLY needs some "splainin'".

"The third shot I just misjudge the distance...not sure how bad but a flatter arrow might have helped."

WHAT?! A flatter arrow? That's just pure sacrilege, right there. LOL!

27-Oct-14
Would have been the same thing with a flatter arrow and poor penetrating head broadhead...The one I killed went through the shoukderbkade and zipped out the other side full penetration at a hard angle. I like it when perfect planning comes into play...just like I drempt it would.

27-Oct-14
I can't believe I just wasted half an hour reading through this.

27-Oct-14
i never thought KE meant a hill of beans until you shot something 25 cal or larger.

KE ? a whole whopping less than 100? ..lol or even 100 for the really bad big boy arrows....lol public forums are always a good source of entertainment.

now if you start talking arrows and momentum, then possibly you could hold my attention and at least sound reasonably sensible.

Tell me what type of scientific knowledge does one need to possess in order to accurately calculate that many of our beloved "team" members are shooting deer, and watching them run off with half the arrow sticking out?

Seems to me i had two younger brothers that shot truck loads of deer with old simple round wheel compounds and big lunker aluminum arrows half the size of telephone poles, and fixed blade broadheads.

And i can't recall them EVER! wondering if penetration would be sufficient.

as i recall i once heard my youngest brother say he loved a hard quartering away shot...and "i skewer them on an arrow" and they drop quick.

But that was the 80's...heck we are way smarter now.

27-Oct-14
Those were the days when bowhunting was bowhunting. Now days, not all bowhunting but a lot of bowhunting is gun hunting with a bow. Reaching way out there with darts. As long as it will reach the target and stick in it, it is a success.

27-Oct-14
TBM"s quote: " I like it when perfect planning comes into play...just like I drempt it would."

Really!? Flinging arrows, missing and wounding more then one elk, then fluking out and wounding one to death is perfect planning??

I'm pretty sure "TBM" is a front for a social experiment.

He's really a university professor that has hi-jacked his semi-literate, second cousin's identity. He posts this ridiculous stuff and then his class studies the resulting responses. Some mock, some become infuriated and some fall for it, hock, lyon and sincar.

27-Oct-14
I shoot a Hoyt Katera at 75 lbs. pushing an Easton Axis 340 with a 125 grain COC head, total arrow weight about 430 grains. Arrows are chronoed at 310 FPS, giving me in the hood of 90 FP of KE.

I never have an arrow in a deer. I've had complete passthroughs on multiple elk, even with minor bone contact. I put 2 arrows through an A/Y moose, first arrow severed a rib on entry and was never recovered, second at 45 entered at back of ribs and exited front of shoulder after clipping the leading edge of the shoulder blade.

I shot a big whitetail a few years ago from the ground, full frontal, arrow exited back of ham and was holding in by only the vanes.

758 grains and 180 lbs. of silliness is what this thread is about.

Total Buffoonery Maxed......

DAMMIT!!!I PROMISED myself!......I will NEVER be sucked in again!

27-Oct-14
Something does not sound right here From a prior TBM thread, "The first shot of the first elk I can't be sure what happened. It went between his antlers on a frontal shot where I was trying to arch the arrow over a crest in a hill and into his chest. The bull was around 30..."

Are you telling us that you shot without even having the vitals in sight? If you had to arch your arrow over a crest then you would not have been able to see the vitals at the shot.

I guess what you're saying is that you can take these kind of shots with heavy slow arrows that have a lot of arch to them, because with a fast reasonably weighted arrow, at 30 yards, I only get a couple inches rise and fall, but I have to see the vitals before I shoot.

After all the misses you made during your hunt, I guess not having that rangefinder is sure working out for you.

27-Oct-14
Chics dig a heavy shaft.

27-Oct-14
I find it very amusing that this thread there are folks who are screaming the overkill while there is another thread where a 450 grain arrow ended in tears and an empty game bag. I can't visualize the logic on here it appears everyone or at least the great majority has purchased into the hype of the manufacturers of the bows and a useless measurement of kinetic energy as it comes to arrows and penetration of game animals to the vitals. Laughing my out loud off.

27-Oct-14
:^)

28-Oct-14
I didn't really like that heavy an arrow for elk because I knew the possibility if a long shot existed. If I go next year I will be shooting for a 600 grain arrow. As it turned out the arrow was perfect for the shot I made. I was impressed in how it performed in the scalpula. I would have never guessed I hit bone the way the arrow penetrated. I can't wait to see how it performs on deer. It's going to be nice not having to wait for perfect angles.

28-Oct-14
Good logic master turkey hunter. No tears in your empty game bags because of bones this yesr

28-Oct-14
That is some good logic, youre using a 758 grain for deer but are going to move down to a 600 for elk. If 600 is sufficient for elk why would it not be sufficient for deer?

28-Oct-14
I dont know what my arrow weight is but I shoot a Gold tip arrow tipped with a 125 grain briadhead. Ive killed elk, deer, antelope and turkeys. I practice at 60 yards max and shoot out ot 50. I totally rely on accuracy and shot placement. If its not a good shot I dont take it. No excusses!

28-Oct-14
so if TBM's arrows were shot out of a trad bow not an eyebrow would be raised, very much average for a somewhat stout trad bow so whats so noteworthy here.

28-Oct-14
Noteworthy? Poor shots and wounded game. TBM theory- shoot a heavy arrow and you can shoot at any angle through bone, accuracy and shot placement no longer important.

Thats what I am getting out of this topic.

28-Oct-14
Gentlemen please read the thread where the sad Bowhunter takes an elk shot and the elk moves and no one can figure out where he hit because he hit bone and never found the elk. Sad days when you ridicule a smart Biwhunter for making his arrow lethal even if the animal moves as was the car with the poor chap on the other thread he was shooting an arrow of 450 grains.

28-Oct-14
Maybe you gentlemen don't hunt much love animals for killing?

28-Oct-14
if the indian makes bad shots or bad decisions why blame the arrow still saying trad hunters kill regularly with similar arrows, at lower speeds by the way.

28-Oct-14
The spinal cord is not a vitality stopping ?

28-Oct-14
I don't see any sub 400 grain arrows shooting through scapula and clean through an elk. Most that light don't end in a recovered animal...none that light go all the way through. Oh, butbeverybidy still mad cause I got it done. A lot of those who said I wouldn't get it dine didn't get it done and now they have dissapeared for a while.

Jealousy is a terrable thing.

28-Oct-14
Yep, TBM you got it done alright. In addition to the elk you killed, you wounded and lost one as well. At least two of the other shots you took very easily could have resulted in two more wounded and lost elk.

ANYONE else takes the completely irresponsible shots you did would have been crucified, and rightfully so. Don't confuse jealousy for disgust.

liv4it got it exactly right. You see hair and an arrow's gettin' flung, damn the consequences.

28-Oct-14
Ive never lost an elk, always had complete pass throughs. 80 yards farthest recovery distance. Jealousy? Of what? Lost one buck about 20 years ago, arrow defelcted off a branch. Maybe a heavier arrow I could shoot through trees too?

No matter what you shoot or what equipment you use, shot placement #1.

28-Oct-14
TBM, I know you won't read this post, and won't respond to it. So I don't know why I bother. . .

I've seen two sub-400 grain arrows cleanly kill elk in what I would call less than satisfactory scenarios.

One was a frontal at less than 10, and it penetrated clear through the elk and was sticking out of his hindquarter about a foot, just a few inches below his anus. He went 50 yards and lived less than 30 seconds

The other was my buddy shooting a sub-400 arrow out of an older model Mathews Switchback, set at about 60 lbs. Big cow elk. Don't know how it happened, as I thought he had the angle, but it punched through scapula and was poking out the off-side

I'm shooting about 410 grains now, and wouldn't mind if it was closer to 500. But my 410 grain arrows penetrate well, and I have no hesitancy with my setup for deer or elk. And I imagine I'll shoot the exact setup for Africa in '16, with kudu as the main course. May bump up to a 125 grain head. Haven't decided yet.

And I'm not shooting very fast either. I don't know what the speed is, never chronoed it, but I imagine it's around 280 fps. Mathews Heli-M at 71 lbs, 27.5 inch draw

Bake

28-Oct-14
I killed a bull moose this fall at 63 yards with a 391 grain arrow at 275 fps and 65 foot pounds of kinetic energy according to the Bowsite calculator. The shot was a double lung shot and a complete pass through.

28-Oct-14
"If someone argues with a FOOL for too long, It's sometimes hard to figure out who the real FOOL is"! Heard something close to that on Rush yesterday! David

28-Oct-14
Bake that is two really impressive penetration stories. What briadhead were you shooting?

I started a thread just for penetration data and it never got going. It would be interesting to see exactly which setups are getting the best penetration and the least also.

28-Oct-14
TBM....don't get your hopes up. You will not be hearing a word from the light arrows that were stopped by bones.

28-Oct-14
I shoot the same weight arrows as Bake with 90 gr Muzzys for years, There haven't been many animals I can think of that stopped one. Last Elk I shot was at 47 yards, arrow went in behind the crease in the shoulder and exited through the scapula on the off shoulder, never found the arrow. I have shot through Moose shoulders and caribou with that setup and the arrow goes through like it didn't hit anything. I seldom find my arrows. These arrows have zipped through countless hogs, some with impressive shields. Ironically, the worse I have observed for penetration on Hogs, consistently have been trad bows shooting logs. I seldom see one of those arrows pass through a hog. But I'm just one person and I realize my observations are not scientific, but it what I have consistently observed. However this year I'm using the 150 gr VPA broached with total arrow weight of 470 gr. just to change it up a little.

28-Oct-14
TBM. . . G5 montecs

28-Oct-14
That is what my baby boy is shooting. That and Simmons 125.

29-Oct-14
I think maybe were better off with the masses using inferior tackle considering all the elk I saw with 25"'s of arrow hanging out of shoulders and asses.

I'm just trying to find a positive in an ever increasing problem I see during the archery season.

29-Oct-14
Tradmt, evidently all those masses must be hunting the same area you are. In 30yrs of bowhunting elk, I've yet to see even one elk with 25" of arrow hanging out of a shoulder or an ass. Maybe what you saw were the results of TBM's hamblaster?

I could argue an ever increasing problem during the archery season is people shooting excessively heavy arrows thinking that gives them license to take irresponsible shots and have "more shot opportunities at different angles". This thread has done nothing but reinforce that opinion.

Look, I get it. Those that shoot trad are shooting a relatively close-range weapon. Because trajectory isn't a concern, there really isn't a downside to shooting very heavy arrows. OTOH, trajectory IS a concern for those that shoot compounds, therefore excessive weight IS a concern. And I repeat...excessive. I don't understand what's so hard to grasp about that concept

Most of us have selected our equipment based on years and years of experience. It's not something we take lightly, and it's not something we just arbitrarily pulled out of our a$$. I will confess it gets more than a little annoying listening to some that continually tells us that our equipment is "inferior". I'd venture to guess that some of us have killed more elk than some of those have seen.

29-Oct-14
So you day compound shooters not good hunting as trad now shooters ? Laughing my out loud off

29-Oct-14
Actually I find trajectory to be much more of a concern shooting bare bow than shooting a compound with sights.

But, I always considered bowhunting to be a relatively close range endeavor but what the hell, some here have killed more elk than some have seen.

I believe most folks bowhunting are aiming for vitals, not hams or necks. But a lot can happen in the 70 yards between the bow and the animal, and yes, 70 is becoming average here in the breaks. 50 is the new 25. Its the technology spurring this drive to extend ones range, if we ever get crossbows its gonna be a giant shit show I guarantee.

Whether you believe that or not doesnt change whats happening here. The majority want a flat shooting arrow so they can shoot as far as they can get away with and as long as those fast flat shooters dont penetrate as well at extended ranges it may leave a nice bull unscathed to be hunted by a real bowhunter sometime. Thats the positive.

The negative is here you have an animal running around looking like a pin cushion and a lot of landowners and general public frown on that, as they should. Sometimes things happen when we bowhunt, it comes with the territory and most understand that and with responsible, ethical behavior we can eliminate the majority of the pin cushion critters.

As far as this arrow weight debate goes, and the shoot at all angles idea, I dont know for sure where I stand, I mean, if a guy is shooting a setup adequate to penetrate elephant ribs, is it adequate for a elk humorous? Maybe? Probably? I cant really answer that. I will say that it likely isnt less ethical than the 70 yarder if you know that your equipment is up to the task because you have tested and confirmed it.

Maybe were all wrong, maybe we should all use moderate weight arrows and choose our shots carefully and keep them close? Bowhunting sure is fun!

29-Oct-14
"maybe we should all use moderate weight arrows and chose our shots carefully and keep them close?"

If some people would get off their high horse long enough to actually read what has been posted, instead of being blinded by their "heavy at all costs" mentality, that's what we've been saying all along. Don't know where the 70 yarder came from. I haven't seen one post advocating that.

29-Oct-14
I just stated that were better off with the lack of penetration from the 'average' weights. Thats all, then I got this...

"Look, I get it. Those that shoot trad are shooting a relatively close-range weapon. Because trajectory isn't a concern, there really isn't a downside to shooting very heavy arrows. OTOH, trajectory IS a concern for those that shoot compounds, therefore excessive weight IS a concern. And I repeat...excessive. I don't understand what's so hard to grasp about that concept"

Is it inferior because it has less momentum at the target than a heavier arrow? Is it superior? Seems like inferiority to me.

If one is concerned about trajectory shooting 6gpp out of a 70# compound it isn't because he's keeping under 50 yards. What are all the costs of a so called 'heavy' arrow? Please enlighten?

I am curious how an elephant rib stacks up against an elk humorous though. Anyone know? How about Cape buffalo?

P.S. Just cut and paste next time and you wont have any spelling errors. :) WHOOAAH NELLY!!!

29-Oct-14
flybyjohn, I recall reading a story about Fred Bear a long time ago that made that kind of shot. Can't recall all the details, but it was on a sheep ... pretty sure a Dall ram. Frontal shot, vitals hidden by crest of a ridge or rocks.

29-Oct-14
Tradmt, the argument from the FFF crowd regarding heavy arrows really has nothing to do with penetration. They like to mention that heavy arrows do not penetrate as well... so they choose to use lighter faster arrows because they penetrate better. That is the basic case some tend to make.

But I really think, to them, it is ALL about FFF...Fast flat and far because they can't pull a bow heavy enough to shoot a heavy arrow in the same fashion. So FFF wins out over a ball joint or error insurance.

Just different objectives I guess.

29-Oct-14
WYO, I suspect you've killed more elk with a bow that everybody else on this thread combined. Don't get sucked into this garbage.

The guy making a bad shot at a crappy angle with a heavy arrow and misjudging trajectory after a chronic attack of buck fever is no less a sinner than the guy making a bad shot with a lighter arrow at longer range.

Sapcut is right about not hearing from the light arrow guys whose arrows were stopped by the mysterious heavy bones, just as we won't hear the stories of hitting too high or too low from misjudging trajectory with uber-heavy arrows.

It is interesting, though, that virtually everyone I know who has killed dozens of elk seem to have settled on the 450-500 grain range with multi-blade heads, give or take, compound or trad. The uber-heavy, single blade, and the long range, lighter-faster guys are often relative beginners who possess more opinion than real experience.

29-Oct-14
So 4 shots with a heavy arrow = a harvested Elk? I don't think the arrow was the issue.

29-Oct-14
"WYO, I suspect you've killed more elk with a bow that everybody else on this thread combined. Don't get sucked into this garbage."

This is not an elk thread, so his experience and success has no bearing at all...totally irrevallant.

I'm going to be hunting deer and taking close shots through thick brush and only getting brief shot opportunities. It's exactly what I did last season with a 620 grain arrow except this season I should get at least 20% better penetration.

Besides, if you want to play the experience card, I've probably killed more deer than 20 average bowsiters combined. I think I'll go shoot one tomorrow!!!!

29-Oct-14
I think the speed race is 90% at fault in all this lite arrow stuff. The other 10% is the hunter not knowing better or understanding it. They hear speed and flat trajectory and assume. Hell I fell for it after 20 years using a relatively heavy arrow in comparison to what many compounders use nowadays and never paying any attention to all this cost me. I fell for it enough that when I bought my new bow I was terribly let down on the penetration results even though I was lucky and recovered all but one of the critters I had been shooting at over 4 years with my newfangled bow.

This bugged me and peaked my interest enough that I set out to find out what the best weight really is out of a modern compound like mine. Certainly a modern compound should not NEED the same weight arrow as a slow 70's recurve like mine but I think the problem is the fact that even though the modern compounds are much faster than older equipment they still are not fast enough to overcome and are they really 'that much' faster when comparing apples to apples. If we compare a 350 grain arrow speed to that of a 600 grain arrow it seems obvious but its not! We equate speed to power and though its true to a point you still need enough extra speed to overcome and it seems compounds as advanced as they are still are not there yet. If a formula existed it would be easy. I would be curious to know what speed a bow like mine would fling my old arrows. I think if guys shot a 600 grain arrow out of their new 330FPS compound before they set it up they would be stunned at how slow it really is because IBO'S are based off 350G arrows. The compound though much faster in FPS based on those weights is still not fast enough yet to overcome that extra weight going just a little slower.

I think when Compounds reach the 400+ FPS range then a 380-400 grain arrow will not even be a discussion. My bow for example would supposedly shoot a 600 grain arrow 248FPS with no weight on the string. 323 is the bows IBO with a 350 grain arrow. LMOA. I bet my old recurve would shoot that same arrow 170FPS so now we have a 78 FPS difference and it is not as huge when you look at it that way instead of looking at 323FPS with a 350 grain arrow. Certainly that mistake can easily be made by a hunter when looking at the huge differences in that IBO way but in reality the differences are much smaller than we think when comparing apples to apples.

It's probably more reasonable to assume if an old recurve shoots a 550G arrow 170 FPS that a modern compound could get the same result with a lighter arrow but likely only with about 50 grains lighter of an arrow tops.My guess is and it is only a guess is that in order for a 400 grain arrow to work as well as a 600 grain arrow it would need to travel at least 150+FPS FASTER.

29-Oct-14
TBM, understood, but you also referenced the heavy-light arrow concept on elk several times. To be fair, you did say 758 grains may be overkill for elk.

If you're shooting "through thick brush" at any animal with an arrow then this discussion should probably take a different direction.

29-Oct-14
there are no negatives to shooting heavy arrows

none

range estimation is range estimation - you can do it or you can't regardless of how fast your arrows are going

this is suppose to be bowhunting - a 20 yard game, not a 120 yard shootfest

I like my 600 gr total weight, I'd go to 700 or 800 if my arrows would allow for it (they don't and I'm too cheap to buy new arrows right now, so 600 works)

you will very rarely see anyone lose a deer with heavy arrows and COI head

there's a reason

30-Oct-14
Ever heard of an arrow that wouldn't penetrate simply due to the weight being too great?

Ever heard of an arrow that wouldn't penetrate due to the arrow being too light....even with a super flat trajectory?

Which end of the extreme spectrum do you think most bowholders reside the closest?

30-Oct-14
Brad, not being a smartass, but why don't you weight your arrows with weed eater string or pepper, sand, etc? You could get them up to 1000 grains if you want.

People lose deer every day with heavy arrows and COI broadheads. A bad shot is a bad shot, and a pass-through gut shot, ham shot, neck shot, etc. is the same whether made with a 300 grain arrow or a 1000 grain arrow. It's all well and good to wish bowhunting was a 20 yard game, but I can't find that in the bowhunting rule book. Can you point it out?

In all of my old bowhunting literature, those fellows were launching arrows at long ranges, flinging at r uh n Ming critters, missing and wounding regularly. With their hunting styles, they'd have loved to hunt with 350 grain carbon arrows.

Now if we're talking about shooting through brush, cedar trees, kudzu, briar tangles, stone walls, fences and other obstacles in desperate attempts to just hit a deer somewhere, anywhere, before setting out the tracking dogs, you and TBM are probably on the right path.

30-Oct-14
Double post

30-Oct-14
"like my 600 gr total weight, I'd go to 700 or 800 if my arrows would allow for it (they don't and I'm too cheap to buy new arrows right now, so 600 works)"

And theres always going to be people that think 600 grains is too light. Because they have settled on 700 grains. 700 is going to be too light to the guy that settled on 800 grains and so it goes.

Hitting ball joints? really? I think that's fodder for a different topic.

30-Oct-14
Overkill? This concept falls def on my ears Lmolo

Under kill? Yes I see in threads here many times the under kill.

Never saw the overkill

Amusing me very much

30-Oct-14
I hear way more stories of wounding and missing low and high than I do of losses due to lack of penetration on a hit in a vital or marginal area. Those low-high misses and wounds are mostly due to mistakes made in trajectory estimation when ranging isn't an option. The heavier the arrow,....

Go out back and play catch with your kid at different distances with a baseball. Then do it with a lead ball. Which one hits the target more often?

30-Oct-14
A hunter can get close and eliminate trajectory concerns no? Same as a catch with son. Limits should be set not tested.

30-Oct-14

HockeyDad's embedded Photo
HockeyDad's embedded Photo
So, if heavier is better then lets file off the 'barbs', put a nock on these and start shooting 31,500 grains of pain!! bet the FOC is good on this babe!

(4.5# equals 31,500gr I believe)

30-Oct-14
Jaquomo hit it on the head. Shot placement trumps everything else.

30-Oct-14
Getting 240fps with a 566 finished weight hunting arrow. 29" draw 60# Getting 291fps with a 370 finished weight arrow. Same elite bow.

31-Oct-14
Michael-jackson-popcorn-meme-generator-i-m-just-here-for-tbm-s-comments-fcd516

02-Nov-14
My 450 grain FMJ's and VPA broad head go thru every deer I shoot. Going to to a heavier arrow and slowing it down is counter productive for me.

02-Nov-14
I've been shooting through every deer all my life but not through the really heavy bone in the shoulder. Doing so will be a game changer.

02-Nov-14
Why do you need a 758-grain arrow for shooting deer that weigh 658 grains?

02-Nov-14
Shot just should't be there. Good luck on your search.

• Sitka Gear