Dss 26-Oct-14
Sage Buffalo 26-Oct-14
XMan 26-Oct-14
Sage Buffalo 26-Oct-14
XMan 26-Oct-14
Sage Buffalo 26-Oct-14
25-Oct-14
7:46 AM LIVE from Ky*
Huniting my new place in Grayson Country KY. Yeup you read it right I am in KY,. How did I end up here I have no clue but I decided to sell KS after five years and wanted to do something different. So after much debate and coaxing of my wife, I went and bought a much larger old farm. A cutting ten years ago has created perfect habitat and the old owner did make some attempt at starting food plots. All four need major work and this season a fall planting of brassicas is all we could get done. This morning I am hunting the way way back stand. The food plot back here did not do well and the remaining clover is struggling. This stand is on a saddle between two small ridges and nestled in between are oaks raining acorns. The food is here and I do have a feeder 50 yards away. What I have noticed so far on using the feeders is the turkeys get the corn before the deer. Most of the deer pics are in the plots eating the new greens. As far as bucks go I have three mature deer on camera but all late at night around 9pm. I am here for a few days so will try to give updates when I can. It's 53 degrees

25-Oct-14
7:57 AM LIVE from Ky*

XMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

Turkeys yelping all around me as the sun finally starts to break. The turkey hunting here is fantastic and we had nonstop action in April. It wasn't uncommon to hear six toms gobble on the roost each morning and we had fun deciding which bird to go after. The wind is light at 2-5 mph and blowing west right now but supposed to blow SW which is much better for this stand. Here is a photo of the saddle, I am about smack dab in the middle of it. I will take a better photo when the sun comes up cause the foliage up here is spectacular.

25-Oct-14
Sounds awesome Xman. Keep us updated GL.

25-Oct-14
8:45 AM LIVE from Ky*

Hunting with me this weekend are my brother Richie aka Whacker and Cousin Tim aka Half Moon. Whacker is the funniest guy I know, he will keep the camp highly entertained and his quick wit often leads to rolling laughter. We never know what's gonna come out his mouth.

Half moon Tim is our first cousin and his nickname came from a small deformity he had on one ass cheek. My aunt always had to buy him belts cause no pants could stay up on the kid. Tim btw turned out just fine, he is a full a Colonel in the Marines and has served our country 25 years. He is retiring next spring and I am really happy he is joining us after a long haitis from hunting.

This hunt is getting the crew back together after a long time apart. I really could care less what I see this trip, we plan on sharing stories and laughing all weekend at our own expense.

Here comes the first deer, directly behind me, small spike. He isn't the giant I am looking for but he will provide some entertainment for now.

25-Oct-14
Good luck from north of ya!

25-Oct-14
9:13 AM LIVE from Ky*

My view north. Very steep drop off in to a ravine and choke full of saplings. The spike came from there and I envision a giant following a hot doe doing the same when the rut gets hot.

25-Oct-14
9:15 AM LIVE from Ky*
Good luck to you too OH, slow morning here. Only the spike seen so far with two of us hunting

25-Oct-14
Slow here 2 yearlings passed as I was climbing in nothing else

25-Oct-14
Whats the deer pop like out there? Any elk?

25-Oct-14
Nice! Good luck XMan!

25-Oct-14
Xman, Good luck!!!

25-Oct-14
1:20 PM LIVE from Ky*
We are out of the stands, slow morning. All the big deer are coming in late to all the fields. Gonna do some scouting and put up a few stands

25-Oct-14
1:20 PM LIVE from Ky*
Good deer population Spike, no elk in my area

25-Oct-14
1:26 PM LIVE from Ky*

New rub, big boy!

25-Oct-14
Exciting Xman - I hope they allow Sunday hunting in Ky!

25-Oct-14
Good luck bro

26-Oct-14
7:21 AM LIVE from Ky*
Yes Will, unlike out fine state of MA they do allow Sunday hunting.

I didn't post last night cause I left my cell in the car but I had my brother hunt the new Stamd with alll the runs and he saw an nice 8 point and a broken up half racked three in one side. He said in MA that was a dead deer but here in KY as a 2 1/2 yo he gets a pass. I decided to hunt this stand today and check it out. When I arrived a deer was already here in the oaks feeding. It walked off and I slowed down to a creep to get to the stand. It's still dark so plenty of time for things to settle down.

I hunted behind the barn in a brassica plot and when the wind shifted late in my sit, a deer winded me and it was all over for the night. Oh well, plenty of time.

my brother warned me about a knot in the tree..... Dang it , I already can feel it in my back.

Wind is shifting this morning from S to NNE by 8. Going to be hot today 49 now rising to 82. We have major work to get down today, three ladder stands and two hang ons. Not sure we will get them all up today in this heat..... Good luck today to all the Sunday hunters.

26-Oct-14
7:34 AM LIVE from Ky*

Check out this old warrior I got on camera. I have no clue how old he is but my bet is he's over 5. What's all your guesses?

No daytime pics of this buck, all dark thirty. If I happen to see it, while not a giant I will shoot big old deer like this without hesitation. Whacker is headed to middle ridge today, this stand hasn't been hunted yet so I gave him first dibs on checking it out. This shifting wind should be perfect for him. Nice brassicas plot are in the field and it's covered in acorns. A feeder is 100 yards away to his west but not sure that will play much with all the acorns and fresh brassicas. Most of the feeders are seeing minimal activity with all the acorns we have this year. Should be a great winter for these deer with alll the new plots and acorns.

26-Oct-14
GL from Kansas.

26-Oct-14
8:24 AM LIVE from Ky*

Good luck to you to Dss, we need some cool weather here in the Midwest, this is too hot!

What a startling contrast to hunting in MA, this morning I hear cows bellowing, pileated woodpecker, crows, turkeys, acorns and hickory nuts dropping, and plenty of squirrels scurrying around. My view looking down at my main shooting lane. Tons of rubs and scrapes flowing by here. The little pond to my right force the deer right on by. Nothing yet but still lots of time.

26-Oct-14
Leaves falling here, crows making a racket, and squirrels are barking in the woodlot across from this lower field I'm hunting. No deer yet but, its only been legal light for 15 minutes. Taking a doe if I have a good shot.

26-Oct-14
5 1/2 - 6 1/2. That's an old battle warrior.

Hot seems to be the theme this week. Took this week off due to family stuff so kind of glad I did.

Good luck and it seems like you chose the right place!

26-Oct-14
9:05 AM LIVE from Ky*
I looked at 20 plus properties and this one seemed to have it all, we shall see :).

Did you like those vids Sage? Not sure if they were too large for your email to accept them.

26-Oct-14
I loved them I got 2 videos were there more? If so, send them again. I can usually get fairly large files.

That one buck - split tine was awesome. I would have invited him to dinner if he was in my yard. Haha.

Good luck today!

26-Oct-14
10:05 AM LIVE from Ky*
Yes I sent 6 or 7 , spam folder maybe?

My brother whacker Just had a nice 8 at the top of the field, tight but heavy rack, big deer def a 31/2 or 4 1/2 yo. Also had another 8 same place and two does. Says he would have shot the heavy 8 but 100 yards away and moving through area quick.

I finally see my first deer and its walking right on the trail I walked in on, make that three deer, does I think, 100 yards and closing fast

26-Oct-14
Get'em!!

• Sitka Gear