Wayniac 30-Oct-14
Zim1 30-Oct-14
cityhunter 30-Oct-14
Zim1 30-Oct-14
XMan 31-Oct-14
Will 31-Oct-14
Genesis 31-Oct-14
26-Oct-14
I bet this topic has played thru here a few times, but since I can't find search feature thought I'd post it.

Is anyone else out there perplexed and totally annoyed at getting hit with this question over and over and over and over again? My god I'm to the point I want to scream. Is anyone out there not aware bowhunters are the absolute worst liars in the universe? And the bigger the buck is, the more lies will emanate? So why on god's green earth would you ask a bowhunter this question? Do you think it's productive? Do you trust the answer you hear? Really? What are you going to do with this sleuthful reconnaissance information? Sell it to the Soviets? Is anyone out there aware of how rude it is to ask? I'm to the point I strictly park at the end of public lots and avoid speaking with anyone for any reason, unless approached. And then I lie when asked anything. ............I saw 3 does, that's it. I never ask other hunters anything. Incredibly annoying.

BTW I shoot all my big bucks at Notellum Conservation area in Goscout County, Hawaii.

26-Oct-14
I usually reply with "in the woods" or ill point to my pocket an say "right about there!" :-)

26-Oct-14
I knew an old Fishing guide who got tired of the question: "Where did you catch it?" He always answered with "Right In the mouth".

Next time you are asked: "where did you get him" tell thm: "right in the heart".

26-Oct-14
Myself and couple of my buddies always reply "right behind the shoulder:".

26-Oct-14
Under my stand is my favorite reply!

26-Oct-14
In the woods. You know that big oak tee on the other side of the cedar thicket where the stream runs through? Right there.

Or....

Outa your tree stand!! You should hunt there more often! Great spot! Thanks!!

26-Oct-14
Horseshoe bend!

26-Oct-14
Don't get so worked up over a little question. Keep giving different answers and guys will catch on that your not telling.

26-Oct-14
I always like it when city people or people that don't hunt ask Did ya get ur deer yet?

26-Oct-14
Or..."didja catch one"?

27-Oct-14
Just point and say "over there." But...

Your buck is dead so who cares

27-Oct-14
interesting perspective

27-Oct-14
In the scheme of things, really a small deal. Don't get worked up over insignificant issues, focus on the big picture.

If I don't know what state your from, usually that is all I'm asking. If I know you are from my home state, I just curious about what county. If you really don't want to give any information at all about "Where'd Ya Geim?", then just answer with smile, "I'd rather not say, it's my secret spot.". Usually I'm asking the question because I find it interesting and it can help keep the conversation going.

Just my take, BC

27-Oct-14
That's pretty damn funny Mike haha......

I'm a dick, don't ask me questions. Lmao

27-Oct-14
I have a better idea. Get your boots on and go scout instead of asking for short cuts.

27-Oct-14
I've got an even better idea. . . don't sweat the petty stuff. Don't pet the sweaty stuff either. . . .

I don't fish much any more. No time. But on the odd occasions I get a chance to be minus kids on a time when I can fish. . . I go talk to a good buddy of mine, who fishes 6 days a week, and I ask him where I can go catch a fish that day.

He never disappoints. Always gives me a hot tip. Never asks for anything in return other than the unstated "Don't tell anyone." Sometimes we'll go together in that situation. We used to fish together 4 or 5 evenings a week

You apparently think that's cheating or immoral in some way. I just think it's good time management. . .

Bake

27-Oct-14
Well, I wouldn't exactly put it like Mike did, but there is something to what he's saying. That question , to me , is mostly making small talk. The thing is, you can't hunt where I hunt, and I don't want to hunt where you hunt, so if I ask a question, it's generally just to show interest in your hunt or kill. You see, I really could not care less if your buck is bigger than mine, or mine is bigger than yours. I'm just glad that we can still all enjoy hunting. For now.

27-Oct-14
Well I've asked that question a lot of times and I've never yet hunted anywhere different as a result of the answer. Maybe there's just a sense of community going on?

27-Oct-14
loose lips sink ships...

27-Oct-14
Seriously, just tell me where your stand is.

27-Oct-14
I hunt in a club where 45 guys lease property together. You kill a couple big bucks in the same place there's 5 newbies stoping around thinking they need to hunt there. Them they get mad when they don't see my truck where I said I was hunting??)! Or I tell 5 different guys 5 different properties when they ask where I shot it, that's the best...

27-Oct-14
I live and hunt in the middle of Ma. So I tend to tell folks "Between the Atlantic ocean and Albany".

;)

27-Oct-14
I'm with drycreek & Cheque It's nice to know what guys are seeing and killing. I also understand why guys keep sealed lips about hunting and fishing spots Good land is hard to find and now days it's even harder to find a guy/gal to teach you to hunt. So if someone asks me I am more than willing to help them get closer to that animal and fill there tag to a certain extent. I will not tell them all of my good spots. I may set them up close to one in hopes they learn a little something and make the move closer to get a shot. but if I can teach someone a few things to better there time in the woods I'll take that over seeing and tagging game any day.

27-Oct-14
u guys need to chill out ! you shoot a deer run across a fellow hunter they usually say were and when and congrats .

27-Oct-14
Chit chatting is fine. I'm always polite. But bowhunters are the worst liars in the universe. And for good reason. So I'm just pointing out asking questions and expecting the truth is ludicrous. So why bother?

28-Oct-14
I agree with Zim1. Whenever anyone asks me "Where'd Ya Gitem?", you can bet the answer will be at least 5 mi from where I actually got him. That said, if it's a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, such as moose, then I have no problem telling someone exactly where I got him.

By contrast, I have friends that will go into extreme detail as to where they "Gotem". For some reason, those same friends later complain that they need to find a new place to hunt, since their spot becomes overrun with hunters. Imagine that.

28-Oct-14
Guess it doesn't bother me that much, I just say near (the biggest town within 20 miles). no harm done. Just away for people to start a converstaion I guess. Alot more other things to get "annoyed" about, lifes to short. Good luck fellas

28-Oct-14
When I lived in Missouri there was a guy that was a real dick about patrolling the property where his dad had given me permission to bow hunt. He told me to take a hike one morning very rudely. OK, I understand, his dad's property and I gracefully apologized and never hunted there again. More on the real dick here as he was one of the biggest poachers in the area who never minded sneaking into anybody else's honey hole. From there on I not only said I had gotten the deer NEAR his property but boasted many times about a big bruiser I had just watched ON his property! Karmas a bitch.

When you guys post here on the bowsite I'm more interested in knowing the state or kindly what part of the state your hunt was. I wouldn't expect or ask for the exact GPS coordinates. Not that there's anything wrong with PMing me that info. Ha

28-Oct-14
You guys must not live in NY. People find out you've killed a decent deer around here and they will sneak around and try to follow you to your spot.

They don't give a rats butt that you have exclusive permission on the property or not. I had a guy basically extort hunting permission from an 87 year old guy. From what I've seen the stereotype of the NY hunter is pretty accurate. They have no respect for fellow hunters and are all in it for themselves. I know not ALL NY hunters are like that, but a lot sure seem to be. Seems they believe it is OK to horn in on another guys property. Unbelievable! I'm a Hoosier by birth and at heart and we just don't do that crap where I'm from. If I didn't have a good job here in NY, you can bet I wouldn't be living here. Which is a shame, because I actually live in a beautiful area.

Yeah, I don't tell them where I killed a deer.

28-Oct-14
I guess I don't see the issue. As far as my whitetail hunting goes I hunt on private ground. It was hard for me to get permission I would expect the next guy to come ask won't get permission. If FL Mike shoots a big buck and I ask him were he shot it. I guarantee you I am not going to be hunting that piece of property. I guarantee I won't run around telling the world its the worlds next best spot to hunt. If I ask its to show interest in your success. Hunting public ground it could be a little different. But then again is it really any different.

28-Oct-14
NY bowman u so correct its the me world!!! If I only had to hunt ny I would give up hunting !

28-Oct-14
I hunt public land, and sometimes hesitate to even say that much. And I never actually say what area. Had one guy at work telling another guy about a great spot he found on public land. The next weekend he walked into his stand & found the guy in a tree 5 yards away. At least he brought his own stand:-)

28-Oct-14
On public land, I'll give a general area. For example, "Over off Sandy Road..." That way I'm polite, and leave myself open to conversation, but I'm not going to find somebody in my treestand when I get there.

On my own land. I just say, "I have my own woods I hunt off of ***** Rd." Again, I don't want people trespassing in my woods. It's hard enough to keep people from hunting without permission, I don't need to invite it.

28-Oct-14
"More on the real dick here as he was one of the biggest poachers in the area who never minded sneaking into anybody else's honey hole. From there on I not only said I had gotten the deer NEAR his property but boasted many times about a big bruiser I had just watched ON his property! Karmas a bitch."

Haha I hadn't thought of turning it around like this! Good idea.

28-Oct-14
Florida Mike you nailed it.

29-Oct-14
FloridaMike,

After solo backpacking in 6 miles to my favorite New Mexico high country elk hunt (11,000' elev) in 2011 and taking the best bull out of 150 permits (per the packer), I made the mistake of telling others. Since then I have failed to draw the otherwise undersubscribed unit for 3 consecutive years. Lesson learned.

Another example, last week after being harassed by an Alabama hunter for 10 minutes on where I was going to hunt so he'd hunt elsewhere, I finally told him and he said good I'll be hunting on the west side of the main trail. Not 15 minutes after I get to my spot and set up, guess who's walking under my stand? Gotta be crappin me!?

I quit going to JEPC here in IL two years ago due to the gross hunter pressure, but that was the year I changed my chat philosophy. That was after ten consecutive hunters asked me where I was going, and after telling them, they told me that's where they were going, so I can't hunt there. This sounds made up, but I assure you it was for real.

Now if you want a roadmap to New Hampshire moose unit C1 where I'll never draw again, I'll gladly send you GPS coordinates.

BTW - Just seen 3 does today.

29-Oct-14
zim you are taking this stuff much to seriously dude.

29-Oct-14
on the other hand the one that cracks me up is the classic

"Did you het YOUR deer yet?"

as if it is an annual entitlement and anything short of taking a deer is a failure as you failed in your quest to collect the one with your name on it that God set aside for you when you bought the tag.

29-Oct-14
X2 behind the shoulder!!

29-Oct-14

Drnaln's embedded Photo
Drnaln's embedded Photo

30-Oct-14
Zim1,

I need an updated log of everywhere you hunt, state, county, road, the works. Because it sounds like you are a god and everybody wants to hunt where you do.

30-Oct-14
Toast (of Dos Equis) to the Most Interesting Man! A+

30-Oct-14
You know guys, sometimes I just want to bend over and look you in the eye and say; "where's your hat?"

For all the secret agents out there, don't respond to this post until you think about it a few minutes. Some may need to wait an hour or two. It will take you that long to figure out exactly what I was trying to say, trust me. LOL, Mike

30-Oct-14
I have access to a ~500 acre property with 2 friends. We scouted together, and share stands. I already have 2 deer in the freezer. I tell them any time I've seen deer - patterns, times, approach directions,etc. Down to specific landmarks you can see from the stand.

We just make sure to coordinate. Last Sat, I let them pick where they were sitting on the property and took the one stand that was availaible with the prevailing winds.. I scored a deer. Did I feel bad? No. Would I have been happy if one of them scored and needed help dragging? Of course. Any time one of our crew scores, we're happy for each other.

On another property, one friend and I share access. We coordinate there as well. Many times I've let him sit in the hotter stand, showed him runs and approaches - he scored his first 2 deer (ever) out of there 2 years ago. Last year I was the only one who took a deer off the property - in the less hot stand.

Outside of that group (and 2 other good friends that do not have access to the property), I basically answer with what town I hunted in. It's people I trust to keep their mouth shut that get the info freely.

At my club, it is like you said - people are quiet or just misleading. I just do my thing, and when a member calls for help, I help when I can.

30-Oct-14
Wayniac, Yes I have two trusted friends I do the same thing with. Different ballgame for us though as we exclusively hunt public land. Should have emphasized that. Very refreshing to chat with an Illinois local here in lot today who had plenty to chat about without harassing me where my trees were. No lies necessary! :)

30-Oct-14
Zim I installed gps device on your rig / and gear , I also have spy device on your phone.

30-Oct-14
cityhunter, Nice try but I check my vehicle daily and found your GPS transmitter right off. I put it under the fender of the truck next to mine with the Louisiana plate. I also have an iphone app that revealed your virus plant. Forwarded it onto the phone of a guy from Tennessee in the lot. Nice try though.

31-Oct-14
I never ask the town but rather the zone which is a huge massive area here in MA . I just like to see the genetics different zones produce, nothing more.

Fl Mike..LOL

I get asked all the time where I am and my answer is always the same, in that thicket I hunt deep in the woods. Generic answers are best in moments like these:)

31-Oct-14
Some one said this about NY above: If you tell someone, your spot will be overrun in no time.

So true here in MA. We have weird trespass law's in most of the state (outside some towns with local ordinances requiring written permission). If it's not legally posted, it's legal to hunt. If it's private and the land owner asks you to leave, you have to, but your not breaking the law hunting unposted private land without permission.

I'm not sure why that's the case, and though at times I hate it, ultimately, it makes way way more land huntable.

But it's why, if your seeing deer, the only people you tell (about the location) are god and very trusted friends. Because unless it's legally posted, any jamoke could move in on you.

31-Oct-14
"Right behind the front shoulder"

or in cases of a gutshot

"Right in front of the back shoulder"

A drift is easy to catch....

• Sitka Gear