SteveB 01-Nov-14
CHASE105 02-Nov-14
Huntin' Hardcore 02-Nov-14
tbrake 03-Nov-14
crazyhawksfan 05-Nov-14
28-Oct-14

tbrake's embedded Photo
tbrake's embedded Photo
Here is the buck I killed on the second night of kansas archery season. I had pictures of him all summer, a week before season i hand him patterned comin out in the beans. Luckily I had the right wind, and like clock work he came in and have me a perfect shot. Only made it 50 yards before crashing. By far my biggest buck, it's gonna be hard to top him. What do you guys think of the mount? Personaly I love it. What you guys think he scores? I already know, but I wanna see some of your guesses lol. Thank you for looking

28-Oct-14

28-Oct-14
nice!

28-Oct-14
beautiful

Mid 150's 156

28-Oct-14
nice congrats

28-Oct-14
The quality of the mount is good, but I'm not a fan of the unnatural neck lines. Not sure if that's a certain form, or if the taxidermist made the modifications. To me it looks more like a sculpture then a mount. Congrats though, and as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.

28-Oct-14
Nice 161

28-Oct-14
Congrats. Looks like a great buck.

I'm saying 151 nice width on that boy

28-Oct-14
Thank you guys. You all need to bump your scores. He was 22 inches wide

28-Oct-14
154"

28-Oct-14
Awesome buck, cool mount. I'd say that guy is bumping 170, maybe 168?

28-Oct-14
I love the neck muscles. Fantastic deer. Is it kind of a buzz kill to tag a buck so early?

28-Oct-14
He grosses 174

28-Oct-14
He grosses 174

28-Oct-14

28-Oct-14
148 NET! Congrats and enjoy!

28-Oct-14
I know very little about scoring deer , but my guess would be 168".

28-Oct-14
Ok I will just tell you guys. He grossed 174 3/4" before the 60 day dry time.. He will loose about 6" net. But I have never went off of net score. Maybe the picture is deceiving, some of the guesses are way low lol. Thank you guys for the positive comments

28-Oct-14
Nice buck and mount

28-Oct-14
When did your season start?

How were you able to get the hide tanned, and mounted so quickly?

How long is that left g-2?

How long are the g-4s?

28-Oct-14
Sept 15. Killed him the 17th. A very hard working, experienced, and great taxidermist. He does an excellent job on every critter you could ever want mounted. If anyone is intrested in him, pm me and I will give you his contact information. Thank you for looking

28-Oct-14
I love the mount, and it's agreat buck ! I too, would have guessed no mor than the high 150s. Guess I need some schooling !

30-Oct-14
Just came across this--great deer and mount. Love the hair. I too was low in my estimate by nearly 10-12". Either way, congrats!

30-Oct-14
what are the scoring numbers on him? I'm normally pretty good on scoring ... and I guess him mid 140's because of short G1 and G4's ....

GREAT BUCK

How did the taxidermist get the cape tanned that fast !! good looking mount

30-Oct-14
Great Buck! My guess is the taxidermist either tanned the hide himself or since it was so early in the season, the tannery wasn't busy and they were able to knock it quickly.

30-Oct-14
Very nice detail congrats!

30-Oct-14
Yeah, I'm not seeing 174 either.

30-Oct-14
154 Nice buck! Beautiful mount!

30-Oct-14
I don't remember the exact measurement, I have a note card somewhere the taxi gave me with exact measurements. Both main beams were exactly 25", g2's were 10" and g3 12.5".. Had over 5" of mass on bases, I can't remember them exactly. Oh. And he is 21 3/4 wide. I promise you guys he is 174. He was measured by a profesional. If I can find my card I will post the exact measurements. Thank you for the coments

30-Oct-14
A sure way to get someone to post the Real score- estimate low!

Maybe you can post some kill pictures to give perspective to the naysayers and to compare the kill shots to the mount?

30-Oct-14

tbrake's embedded Photo
tbrake's embedded Photo
Here is a kill pick and also a trail can pic from late summer. I am 6-5 and 230 for reference. Sorry for the poor quality pic. It was taken with a phone

30-Oct-14

tbrake's embedded Photo
tbrake's embedded Photo

30-Oct-14
Sorry for you that you don't have good pictures. Only takes a few minutes to pose the buck and take some good pics. With digital you know right away if it's good. Worth every minute spent taking them.

Great buck and the TC pic shows it's size well

30-Oct-14
Personally, I wasn't questionning the measurements....just trying to recreate the actual score, given a couple actual measurements.

30-Oct-14
Great job and nice mount!

30-Oct-14
me too - 25" + 4" + 10" + 12 + 5" = 56" plus 20" mass = 76" times two = 152 + 22 equals 174"

I guess him lighter on mass, a few inches shorter on tines and width ....

great deer

30-Oct-14

tbrake's embedded Photo
tbrake's embedded Photo
Here's the actual score sheet. My memory on some of the measurements was off but not far. I don't understand why you guys think I would lie about his score? I would be just as happy if he was smaller. I worked my butt off for this deer, and I am very proud of him. It's gonna be hard to too him. Thank you all for the positive comments

30-Oct-14
Just a guess pig doc, but it looks like he was adding the columns together on oneside. The 25's are the beams, the 21 was the spread. The pros I've had do mine only use 1/8" increments though. But I believe that's a 174" stud of a deer!!

30-Oct-14
Congrats, beautiful buck

30-Oct-14
Yes forgot to add.. The right side is where I totaled them up. I shoulda marked it out. Thanks again

30-Oct-14
That's a great mount!

30-Oct-14
Just redid all the math again. Left side tines come out to 34 1/8.. Right side 28 3/4.. Total mass 38 5/8.. 50" of main beam and spread of 21 1/8. I am not a math wiz by anymeans, but I can handle my addition. I am done debating this, you can score him however you want, I will score him as the 174" deer he is. Thank you for all the kind words. Good luck to every one

30-Oct-14
I'm perfectly fine with my taxidermist score. He has done hundreds and hundreds of deer. There is not doubt in my mind that it is correct. Now I remember why I quit posting on here. Thank you for your input

30-Oct-14
Not sure about the score, but know he's a great buck. Your taxidermist did a nice job! Congrats.

DJ

30-Oct-14
I wouldn't stop posting here because guys get their kicks off argueing over silly stuff. All in all its a great site and you generally get positive feedback, just gotta let some stuff go in one ear and out the other. Great deer and the mount looks awesome!!

30-Oct-14
Hey tbrake,

Left side tines come out to 34 1/8.. Right side 28 3/4.. Total mass 38 5/8.. 50" of main beam and spread of 21 1/8. I am not a math wiz by anymeans, I will score him as the 174" deer he is.

I think the above actually totals 172 5/8 but that is OK. You probably hunt better than you add.

Don't let the score eat ya up! It is a beautiful deer and you must feel good being done this early in the season. Congrats!

30-Oct-14
Very nice mount & a Great Buck! I think Pig Doc is talking Net score & you are talking Gross score??? I would get a Great Buck like that scored by a person that knows what he's doing! Anyone that writes down scoring numbers in 1/2's and 1/4's doesn't know much about scoring a critter! Congratulations!!!!! David

31-Oct-14
Great buck dude!

31-Oct-14
Wow some people work me up I mean damn how hard is it to just accept that the dang deer scores 174 and go on with your obviously boring life. Get a real job pig doc the thread owner obviously knows what his buck scores and your just butthurt that you havnt shot sh!t that compares! People like you ruin these sites. Just saying.

31-Oct-14
Great deer btw man!

31-Oct-14
Get him officially scored and then come talk blah blah blah sounds like my 3 year old niece! Sorry for the rant guys I just find it hard to ignore some of these whiney lil grouches...

31-Oct-14
tbrake, congrats on a great buck and who cares if your off by a inch or two on the score!!

31-Oct-14
Nice buck, tbrake.

Pic Doc, before you start being a complete d*ck you should take your own advice and make sure your numbers are correct.

He posts the actual numbers and yet you still can't add them correctly.

He actually has 38.125" of mass and 63.125" of tine length. Your score is off by 7.25".

tbrake's addition was off slightly but yours was off even more.

31-Oct-14
Great buck tbrake. Don't listen to the "expert" deer score guys who can score better off an Internet picture than actually holding the horns.

31-Oct-14
So let me get this straight.

Tbrake asks us what we think it scores and says "I know what it scores but I want to see your guesses, LOL"

We tell him what we think it scores.

He gets mad our scores differ from his.

Other guys call us dicks for telling him what we think it scores.

That's pretty much how it went right?

31-Oct-14
Congrats TBrake, awesome deer and I really like how your mount came out, really shows off how wide the buck is. I was about to guess 169 inches gross so not too far off your score. Regardless of what it scores, I would also be darned proud to get a deer like that on my wall. :)

31-Oct-14
Beautiful buck with a huge & massive frame, congrats.

31-Oct-14
BTW you have a very fast taxidermist !

31-Oct-14
Congrats on a great buck. When I saw the 150 guesses at the beginning of the thread, I was wondering why folks were so low. I would have pegged him at mid-to-upper 160s gross.

Woodwise Work, I think you're off on your characterization. OP did not appear to be upset by people's guesses at the score, but instead, the insinuation that he was either being dishonest or couldn't do math. I think a few of the posters went a bit overboard, particularly Pic Doc.

However, OP, just know that all of the forums are like this one. Keyboard commandos exist everywhere. It makes them feel better about themselves. All that matters is that you worked hard for a great buck. I like the mount, too.

31-Oct-14
tbrake, you have a great deer and most of us are jealous, but with a smile on our face. It's a good thing buddy. Enjoy your deer and I'm happy for you and hoping I get a shot at a great deer like that one day too. Please keep posting in the future.

31-Oct-14
Cool being able to pattern him like that. I also got an early season stud, but did not have him patterned. Just picked the right bed exit first evening of the first cold front. I think you have him scored right. Congrats.

31-Oct-14
Excellent buck! I really miss Kansas this time of year!

31-Oct-14
personally I wasn't saying you were lying - to a lot of guys like me, looking at photo's and mentally scoring is just something we do ... I do it so when I'm out in the field, I hopefully can mentally judge deer well

I was off on your deer by a whopping 25" and was wondering why

I misjudged him in every way - length, mass, width ... and if I do that in KS next week, I'm passing a 170 buck thinking he's 140 :)

But in the field its so different .... but yeah not trying to say anyone way lying, just wondering how I guessed so wrong

01-Nov-14
I shot my buck on Sept 16 and took to taxi a week later. He just called and it is done. I pick it up Tuesday. It was his first this season and he tans his own hides. He is amazing too!

Congrats on a terrific buck and beautiful mount!

01-Nov-14
That is a whopper of a deer! We don't grow them like that around here.

The game cam pic really shows his size off to me. I would have passed out the first time I saw him.

Great mount too!

Congratulations on putting in the time and making it all come together!

CD

01-Nov-14
I agree...that trail cam pic really shows his true size. Great buck!

02-Nov-14
TBRAKE: I did your buck on our scoring program. With the information your taxidermist gave you the program computes your rack at 172 6/8 with a net score of 167 1/8.

I have measured a lot of deer for our club and have found about 34% of the manually scored deer have mistakes in addition.

With a deer of this size I would strongly suggest that you have it scored by a qualified P&Y scorer.

One thing for sure that is one hell of a deer.

Congrads. G

02-Nov-14
The guys saying mid 50's r on crack that buck is high 60's all day!!!!!!!!!! Congrats man awesome buck!

03-Nov-14
Thank you guys. How do I go about getting him officially scored?

05-Nov-14
I want to apologize to everyone on here for what I said earlier in this thread about certain posters very unthoughtful and disrespectful of me for typing what I did and there opinion could very well be right. Again great buck tbrake and happy hunting everyone!

• Sitka Gear