500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

How many are passing up small bucks?
onX Maps
How many are passing up small bucks?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Hammer 29-Oct-14
Sapcut 29-Oct-14
Bill in MI 29-Oct-14
Hammer 29-Oct-14
Hammer 29-Oct-14
jingalls 29-Oct-14
Grunt-N-Gobble 29-Oct-14
ahunter55wife 29-Oct-14
rtkreaper 30-Oct-14
Hammer 30-Oct-14
happygolucky 30-Oct-14
SJJ 30-Oct-14
Charlie Rehor 30-Oct-14
marktm250 30-Oct-14
Buckiller 30-Oct-14
keith 30-Oct-14
Stekewood 30-Oct-14
greg simon 30-Oct-14
bdfrd24v 30-Oct-14
Ollie 30-Oct-14
LINK 30-Oct-14
exsanguinator 30-Oct-14
huntmaster 30-Oct-14
liv4it 30-Oct-14
Active Shooter 30-Oct-14
drycreek 30-Oct-14
Will 30-Oct-14
Genesis 30-Oct-14
happygolucky 30-Oct-14
Bake 30-Oct-14
steve 30-Oct-14
fisherick 30-Oct-14
BowSniper 30-Oct-14
Genesis 30-Oct-14
bowriter 30-Oct-14
midwest 30-Oct-14
buckhammer 30-Oct-14
5575 30-Oct-14
Medicinemann 30-Oct-14
Sage Buffalo 30-Oct-14
Thornton 30-Oct-14
AndrewManukas@work 30-Oct-14
Keadog 30-Oct-14
JusPassin 30-Oct-14
kellyharris 30-Oct-14
Spanky 30-Oct-14
Hammer 30-Oct-14
rtkreaper 30-Oct-14
LC Archer 30-Oct-14
dszymo 30-Oct-14
Bowfreak 30-Oct-14
Hammer 30-Oct-14
Nick Muche 30-Oct-14
overbo 30-Oct-14
Hammer 30-Oct-14
Genesis 31-Oct-14
HUNT MAN 31-Oct-14
marktm250 31-Oct-14
rattles33 31-Oct-14
Dennis Razza 31-Oct-14
IdyllwildArcher 31-Oct-14
kellyharris 31-Oct-14
Waterlooboy 02-Nov-14
Genesis 02-Nov-14
LBshooter 02-Nov-14
mainbrdr 02-Nov-14
Muskrat 02-Nov-14
Spanky 02-Nov-14
NYDEERHUNTER 02-Nov-14
buckhammer 02-Nov-14
ahunter55 02-Nov-14
rtkreaper 02-Nov-14
Rayzor 03-Nov-14
DLN 03-Nov-14
Franzen 03-Nov-14
Sage Buffalo 03-Nov-14
Lost Man 03-Nov-14
sureshot 03-Nov-14
Brotsky 03-Nov-14
bowriter 03-Nov-14
sureshot 03-Nov-14
XMan 03-Nov-14
Hammer 03-Nov-14
Eddie Bauer 03-Nov-14
happygolucky 03-Nov-14
Stinkbait1 03-Nov-14
GhostBird 03-Nov-14
Hammer 03-Nov-14
Hammer 03-Nov-14
Hammer 03-Nov-14
Hammer 03-Nov-14
Hammer 03-Nov-14
29-Oct-14
Curious to how many hunters are passing up small bucks with decent basket racks this season?

EDIT: This question above would relate to your area and your idea of a small buck for your area that's worth passing up. I understand that one guy might pass a basket rack 8 that's just inside the ears in certain areas while others located elsewhere might not pass up a small 6 point because for their area it may be a real trophy buck or great racked deer given the genetics and minerals. I understand some areas you cant pass up any buck or very few of them if you want to take a deer. I guess its all relative but I am curious to how many are passing up smaller bucks as they see it and perhaps your reasons why.

29-Oct-14
Surely everyone.

29-Oct-14
With deer sightings at 25% off peak years, I won't shoot a deer locally unless its a really good 3.5 year old or better.

29-Oct-14
Sapcut,

LOL. I doubt that but I am curious to what guys selectively choose to pass up and why. Not all are fortunate enough to have the chance to do so due to different factors.

I have passed up a 6 point 2 times and a small 8 point 4 times this season including once tonight. LOL...He didn't like my big buck decoy either. The small 8 was passed up by my buddy in the same location. That little 8 is dumb as a stump and if he doesn't wise up someone will pop em.

29-Oct-14
Bill,

Its that slow up there around your place? That's a bummer. Last winter must have really had an effect along with EHD 2 years ago. Your in the new APR zone to boot as well right?

Either way I hope it picks up for you guy soon.

29-Oct-14
Pass on lots of bucks.

29-Oct-14
I pretty much know if I want to shoot a buck within a few seconds of seeing him. With that said, I've only had one shot opportunity this season at a 7pt and I passed on him. Of the other bucks seen, I haven't seen one yet that I would have shot given the chance.

29-Oct-14

ahunter55wife's embedded Photo
ahunter55wife's embedded Photo
I'VE PASSED 4 Does already but have seen only 1 tiny forky , I give all Does a pass. I've been passing some good Bucks the last few years trying for a personal best. Mind you, I've never been a horn hunter until I set this goal though I did start passing many smaller bucks b/4 this goal for myself. Again, not to fret, I have taken MANY antlerless & a wide assortment of every size Buck you can imagine up to & including 10 points (several 8s in the 110 size)& several forkys, 5s, 6s, 7s.

30-Oct-14
Up here in Northern Minnesota, if you see any horned buck this year, you better take it. I have seen one buck this spring, summer and fall. Our deer herd was wiped out last winter. Seems the bucks were especially hard hit. Won't be passing on anything if it has horns. We are bucks only, no antler less permits period. See you on the tundra. Rory

30-Oct-14
rtkreaper,

Its really strange the difference. Naturally Minnesota had a harder winter than us in MI but we had the worst winter on record and feet of snow for months. It was the coldest winter by a lot and the most snow ever too and you could see the deer struggling. We had a bad EHD outbreak 2 years ago as well I figured the herd would be in poor order around here. When we found 6 dead deer after spring in the bedding grounds I was really worried. Well I was worried up until late august when the cams starting getting pics and now I am seeing 2-3 bucks to each doe I see. I know there is more does but usually we don't see it in that order. Its usually reversed and you see 3 does to each buck. lol. It was only ever like that one other time I remember and that was 4 or 5 years ago when we had no real winter at all.

Sorry to hear your herd was hit so hard. I hope you get something though. Even a knot head would do when things are that decimated. Good luck man

30-Oct-14
Camp rule is 8 or better and if you want to win the camp buck pool, you think about your choice. We wouldn't shoot any young 8pt anyway. Although buck sightings have been down, we've passed on plenty of young bucks so far. We have not even seen a shooter yet and that is strange for this camp. Lots of does will be taken late season for venison if shooter bucks are not seen and taken.

30-Oct-14
yes....in central NY...at least for us, if we can get into low 100" we're doing a stroke of business w/ the bow..

30-Oct-14
It definetely depends on where you hunt and what your goals are? I have one buck tag in Illinois and one buck tag in Kansas so I video rack bucks I will not shoot! Gives me some of the rush but not like the flight of the arrow:)

*live post from tree stand! 2 so far this am

30-Oct-14
Not where I am at in central VA. Did that the past few years and ended up empty handed. A 2.5 year old 6 or 8 less than 100" is a nice little trophy here.

Like Charlie stated, depends on where you hunt. Here in VA, they run em with dogs, the rifle season is 1.5 months long and you can tag 3 bucks.

30-Oct-14

Buckiller's embedded Photo
Buckiller's embedded Photo
12 yards. Have plenty of meat in the freezer

30-Oct-14
Hammer,

"Naturally Minnesota had a harder winter than us in MI". Apparently, you are forgetting about us in the Northern UP. There are virtually no deer less than 3.5 years old here. The last 2 winters wiped out 3 age classes.

30-Oct-14
I pas them up all the time in PA. Hell between yesterday and this morning I passed up six of them!

30-Oct-14
Anything under 4.5 years old gets a pass from me, but I'm hunting a large tract of private land with very low pressure.

30-Oct-14
I've passed up more shots this year than the last 2 years combined.

Had easy broadside 15 yd shots at 2 bucks already, and in all passed on 5 bucks in shooting range. I've seen nearly a dozen different young bucks this year. I've got 2 great bucks (for my farm, tall 8 and a very heavy 10) Also saw a hammer the other night at 60yds. If he gest close he is done. 11pt, unreal body

Missed a cake shot on a doe too. I'll only shoot single does, can't shoot one that has fawns.

Honestly though the next nice size doe is done. Buck its going to be how I'm feeling at the moment at this point.

My wife is opening a new childrens store in town this weekend, so my hunt time is about to go to ZERO except weekends

30-Oct-14
I pass bucks in the 100-130" range all the time because I am hunting private lands where 150"+ bucks are seen nearly every year. Others hunting surrounding properties do the same. If you are unwilling to pass these mid-size, young bucks then don't complain that you never see anything bigger.

30-Oct-14
I typically have the chance to go after I few 150+. If I shoot a dink then my seasons over. Why shoot an immature buck when I can chase him in a few years when its a challenge.

30-Oct-14
Big Does for meat, one young doe for tender meat. Old big bodied bucks regardless of rack size. Young Bucks with impressive racks are the only deer that need worry about my 30 yard zone of death.

30-Oct-14
I won't shoot a MI buck unless he is 3.5 and then I've been known to let a few of them get a pass as well.

30-Oct-14
I aways pass on small bucks, I like to see them get big. If I have a tag in my pocket the last day it gets put on a doe.

30-Oct-14
Wider Than the Ears. WTTE. I get one on camera and I try to outsmart him into a bad situation.

Tony

30-Oct-14
No choice here with antler restrictions. But, I woul pass on 'em anyway. Three and a half is my minimum unless I KNOW it's a two year old spike ( and that has happened once in the last several years ) Texas Parks and Wildlife instituted AR a few years back, and instituted one buck also with the exception of spikes. The latter was to still all the hate and discontent from the " I gotta kill more than one buck " crowd. So, they sacrifice the spikes to keep peace and harmony in the ranks, meanwhile hurting the future buck population. I am supposed to kill all spikes under my management plan ( MLDP Level III ), but I won't. When I start seeing three and four year old spikes, then I will know that they are right and I am wrong. Ain't got to worry about that !

Sorry for the rant, carry on !

30-Oct-14
We are lucky to see a deer here in central and western MA... so if you see one and you want venison... You shoot. some years I'd pass one and HAVE passed one. This year... No.

30-Oct-14
To spin the thread a little.

Seems the "sport" of passing up deer and bragging about it has passed actually trophy hunting in some regards.

You know the guy that passes up all these huge deer (or not) that somehow validates his/her lack of success on quality bucks.

Most guys can look at a guys wall and surmised what they have passed up without fluffing ones portfolio for credibility.

Some of the best deer hunters I know suffer from an impatience that will not allow them to have a very high standard and "numbers" of deer is what's important.Who's right?

30-Oct-14
"Who's right? "

There is no right or wrong. Just personal choices. At our camp, we have the 8 or better rule. If you shoot one that doesn't abide, it costs you $50 to the camp fund. Kids are exempt until the get their first 8 or better. That allows one to take any buck they want but we all prefer to shoot does for meat. These rules work for us.

30-Oct-14
I like Genesis's post :) Mostly because it applies pretty well to me :)

I pass up deer, nothing huge, but some that I should probably kill, and I rarely kill anything. And I spend a pretty decent amount of time trying :)

One benefit from never pulling the trigger. . . you get to hunt a lot :)

Bake

30-Oct-14
Has to be a ear wide 8 the 2nd has to be bigger passed on about 10 this year and have a empty frezzer but are season is long, when I was young it was a 3 in spike. STEVE

30-Oct-14
I passed on a decent 6 pt on saturday. Reason, 30 yards o/o range for this recurve shooter. With so few opportuties around here I would take any decent buck.

30-Oct-14
Its easy to pass on the small bucks. And even the medium bucks.

Its those big 2-3yr olds that test your will....

30-Oct-14
Bake,who I'm talking about is probably not you..:)

Just have been around some guys who belittle others for shooting immature bucks while spewing about holding out for a Booner and passing 160's and hasn't shot a doe or buck in 10 years.

Go to their house and they have a 132 and a 142 staring at you.

I don't care,but the guys they belittle actually think they aren't cutting the mustard...

Everybody here knows that guy.Two 3 1/2 year old bucks and they are the self appointed trophy hunting extraordinaire of the bowshop.

30-Oct-14
This is true:

For me, it depends on the day. I may pass a 125 one day and shoot a spike the next. I have done exactly that. So far this year, I have killed two does, passed 11-does, killed one buck-a six point- and passed five bucks, all but one were larger.

I have reached the point in my hunting life that antlers mean very little to me. I am in an area that is loaded with deer and there is also very little sense in passing one up thinking it will get older.

A few years ago, I would not shoot one unless it was at least 3.5-years old. I have walls full of mounts. Now, I shoot whatever I want and could care less what anyone else thinks.

In hunting, what to shoot, as long as it is legal, is the concern only of the one doing the shooter.

30-Oct-14
I can't let a 3-1/2 walk. I don't hunt WT's as much as I used to. The farm I hunt isn't very good but it is IA and a giant could walk out at any time.

I just don't have the drive and desire I used to have for the whiteys. I know I should be traveling and knocking on doors like I used to but I have lost that fire and am consumed with western hunting now. I'm content to get my WT fix just hunting the weekends during rut, letting the youngsters do their thing, and, like I said, shoot a nice 3-1/2 if presented the opportunity or whack a doe if I need the meat. Still enjoy watching the show but am to the point I could take it or leave it.

30-Oct-14
I always pass up the little ones.

There is no challenge for me when it comes to shooting 1.5yr old deer. Even some 2.5 yr old deer are pretty easy to take.

30-Oct-14

5575's embedded Photo
5575's embedded Photo
Passed this guy up on sunday...but not on tues!

30-Oct-14
JTV,

Is the right brow undeveloped on that buck, or is it broken off?

30-Oct-14
Depends what my goal is:

1. Trophy hunting. I let them walk. Obvious.

2. Table Fare: I let the big one walk and shoot a nice 1 1/2 - 2 1/2. No better eating. It's not even comparable (research the study of force it takes to bite through a piece of meat as an animal ages - it will open your eyes). I will shoot a young buck if limited tags otherwise I will shoot a lot of young does.

Just so I am clear my family LOVES venison and my wife is OK with my hunting as long as the freezer is full. I'm also in the same vein as Steve Rinella as I'm a wannabe chef and love to eat and cook so what goes in my freezer is more important than what goes up on the wall (not that my wall doesn't have a few decent animals on it).

In a season, I'll go through a mix of these.

30-Oct-14
You can't expect to see big ones very often if you shoot'em young!

30-Oct-14
Not Me!

30-Oct-14
I try not to shoot anything under 150 but it's sometimes hard for me to field judge, especially if the deer has good mass and width (which I like). The deer I shot on Sunday will be back straps, some jerky, brats and grind. I'll try for a young doe next for some steaks as well as hot dogs. But I'm staying out of my woods for the next few weeks hoping the nice 8 and 10 that have been around all summer have a place to hide from my neighbors. I think the 8 could be a real nice deer next year.

30-Oct-14
8 or better for me, but those are just my own rules.

30-Oct-14
It was amazing how quick the guys on my lease quit shooting basket racks when I implemented the rule (If you shoot a buck you have to have it mounted!) This excludes anyone who has never shot a buck, disabled, or any youth hunter!

I shot one a few years back I thought was high 140's when I got to him he had ground shrinkage 123. What did I do? I forked out 400.00 and had him mounted. He still sits on the floor I have still not hung him on the wall.

30-Oct-14
There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE to me - between a kid shooting his 1st buck (and being small like my 1st one was) and a GROWN MAN shooting dink after dink after dink (like baby bucks, 1.5 year olds) for year after year. A side note of FACT I'd like anyone to dispute - 99% of the time, there's no biological reasoning to shooting a baby buck. Maybe your enjoyment can be put in the equation but it's harmful to everyone else, the herd, etc from a biological point of view. But, yes, I'll be hunting for "RIPE FRUIT" and not picking half grown apples or keeping 6" bass - I'll be proudly out for mature bucks for my area which thankfully do reach the age of 5+ commonly. Whatever is older for the area is whatever I've gone for. now, it's 5+. When 3 year olds were rare in my old area/state, I focused on that as that was a challenge. 1 year old bucks are foolish, extremely easy to kill & a great buck for the 1st time hunter, not for the GROWN MAN of many many seasons. Yes, this might get some push back and I probably could word it more delicately but that't one schmo's view.

30-Oct-14
The passing up of bucks comes with age or hunting experience for most. I don't know any hunters that passed up a single buck the 1st few years they hunted. If it was brown and had antlers it was down. After 15 or 20 years of hunting it becomes easy to pass up a dink deer even if it is an 8 or 10 point but when I was in my early 20's it wasn't so easy. lol

30-Oct-14
It must be nice to have the option of passing on bucks. Sure, over the years I have passed on spikes and fork horns and even some pretty decent bucks. But, we love wild meat of all kinds, we pretty much live on it when we can. This year after our brutal winter, there are very few deer so we can't be choosy. If it has antlers he will be fair game. No antler less permits where we are. Caribou meat gets tiresome after a while so hoping for some good old fashioned whitetail. Yummy. See you on the tundra. Rory

30-Oct-14
+1 Genesis

Here in SC where they rifle hunt 4 1/2 months, dog hunt and bait, you don't get many nice bucks even in range.

That said, I've still passed fork horns (cow horns) and spikes. Dave

30-Oct-14
spanky "99% of the time, there's no biological reasoning to shooting a baby buck" I've hunted for twenty plus years and the past ten passed up many 1 year olds, but is there any biological reason not to shoot them? people have been shooting them for the passed hundred years and the herds are doing just fine.

30-Oct-14
I have passed up 2 this week. One was a no doubt pass, spike, the other was actually a decent 8 point. I am not a huge trophy hunter and many times just shoot because it feels right. If I see a buck that is hovering around P&Y...he gets the shaft even if it has milk on his lips. Anything else may get shot if I feel like it. :)

30-Oct-14
Bowfreak makes a good point. Sometimes I pass a buck up just because. No real good or bad reason for it but at that moment I just choose not to shoot. I think that also comes with age and hunting experience as well.

I don't know about the rest of you but the days of dropping the 1st 2 bucks I saw each season with antlers are largely over and not really missed all that much. The only exception is meat hunting. I think most of all my perspective on hunting is what changed more than anything over time and it's just lucky for me that I have the chance or luxury to be able to choose given the areas I can hunt. I fully understand some folks don't have that chance and they must take the 1st antlered deer they see due to time allotted or herd numbers and if they don't they might not get another chance the rest of the season. If around my place it was that way I would likely do the same because even though I don't NEED venison I got to have it. lol..

30-Oct-14

Error Occurred While Processing Request The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
Error Occurred While Processing Request

Could not find the included template ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm.

Note: If you wish to use an absolute template path (for example, template="/mypath/index.cfm") with CFINCLUDE, you must create a mapping for the path using the ColdFusion Administrator. Or, you can use per-application settings to specify mappings specific to this application by specifying a mappings struct to THIS.mappings in Application.cfc.
Using relative paths (for example, template="index.cfm" or template="../index.cfm") does not require the creation of any special mappings. It is therefore recommended that you use relative paths with CFINCLUDE whenever possible.

The error occurred in D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 1058
Called from D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 476
Called from D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 1
1056 : <h3>Blocked By Thread Owner</h3>
1057 : <P>#ParagraphFormat(Body)#</P>
1058 : <cfelseif (ThreadOwnerRemove)eq 1><cfinclude template="ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm">
1059 : 
1060 : <cfelse>

Resources:

Browser   claudebot
Remote Address   172.71.222.145
Referrer   http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=436789&messages=65&forum=4
Date/Time   28-Mar-24 06:49 PM
Stack Trace
at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor13(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1058) at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor14(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:476) at cfthread2ecfm1423711020.runPage(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1)

coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag$NoSuchIncludeTemplateException: Could not find the included template ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm.
	at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.setTemplate(IncludeTag.java:349)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor13(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1058)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor14(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:476)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020.runPage(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1)
	at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:231)
	at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:416)
	at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
	at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:363)
	at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48)
	at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
	at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:87)
	at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70)
	at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
	at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
	at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46)
	at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
	at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
	at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:53)
	at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:200)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86)
	at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101)
	at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
	at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
	at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286)
	at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
	at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
	at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)