bowriter 02-Nov-14
30-Oct-14

TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
Gigged up, locked on, and knocked up.

30-Oct-14

Food plot is coming up and the deer is trying to figure out what we planted...needs a rain purty bad.

30-Oct-14

Lots if dogwood berries this year. Turkeys relish them. Hunting my little 20 acre place I purchassed a few years back. Call it little tehas because it reminds me of Texas south Texas with all its live oaks and Sandy soil.

30-Oct-14
Feel kind of guilty starting a semi live becUse I rarely contribute to live hunts but I do look at a few from time to time.

Starting off as usual...totally discumbotulated...didn't pick up the right arrows ..backup is arrows and they Re not the sharpest in the world. Havnt fell out of the tree yet or dropped my bow but the day is young.

Acorns dropping to my right but it is thick over there so hopefully I get the shot out in the field before they get in the thick. Left a decent buck or two in here last year. Had so many acorns here last year deer were literally still feeding on them at the end of Aprl. Less than 6 months later they are back feeding on acorns. I love this place.

30-Oct-14
Hunting only 17 feet off the ground...have to get acclamated to the altitude. The are my elk hunting rookie of the year boots.

30-Oct-14

30-Oct-14
I recognize that stand...I think I have one just like it

30-Oct-14
Ok Steve if you want us to follow your hunt you need to use spell check and give details like weather, wind direction, temps, etc. Mike

30-Oct-14
Loc on Spirit. Love this stand. Little bit of a cool front came through last nite. Wind puffs out of the north then lays back down. Deer could feed out before they get to me but hopefully the cool will have them frisky and they will be on the move. Shadows getting long...time of day you spot the shadow before the deer. Time to put on my jacket...it's a brisk 68 degrees. Mosguito just capped off a load and flew downhill. Hopefully a fire ant will get him.

30-Oct-14
I think it's the spirit, it's really small only weights 5 lbs, I can fit it in my pack

30-Oct-14
With that first photo I thought this was another concrete walker thread. Good thing you posted the foot shot.

30-Oct-14
So..., TBM is pregnant?

30-Oct-14
These glasses I'm wearing are my long range fuzzy pins but clear deer glasses. I cms barely read anything I'm writing so sorry if I mespell some words. I think I hear acorn chomping sounds.

30-Oct-14
Dog or coyote s just ran a deer through. They were not barking but we're right on his tail.

30-Oct-14
Pat I took a picture of my Mickey mouse boots in janurary and did not receive proper warning so I am granfathered in.

30-Oct-14

One is blowing at me. Helped daddy put the blower belt on the skid steer and got greese all over me. Wind is just not steady at all. Shoot...I see one.

30-Oct-14
Perfect shot angle too!

30-Oct-14
Ok, good luck TBM! Glad to finally see a photo of a deer on a live hunt!

30-Oct-14
Gave one a high shave. 10 yard pin sighted in to hit low and used it to aim dead on at a deer standing at 18 and still hit high. Adjustments will be made

30-Oct-14

30-Oct-14
That with the 756 grain arrow?

30-Oct-14

30-Oct-14

30-Oct-14

30-Oct-14

30-Oct-14

30-Oct-14
Wow, sorry about the multi-post. Only clicked send once. Now I feel the pain you used to suffer, TBM.

30-Oct-14
I needed that 4 pound arrow where I would have hit low enough.

30-Oct-14
Damn Lou, a 7X post that must be a record of some sort!

30-Oct-14
I'm glad you are posting pics with this hunt. It's pointless to do a live hunt without them.

30-Oct-14
I got some glasses like that ! Only mine are any range, fuzzy pins, fuzzy deer, nothing clear glasses. You leave us hangin' Steve ? Know damn well it's dark in 'Bama.

30-Oct-14
No. Made a great shot with really good follow through. I saw the arrow closing in on the vitals and the deer squatted hard. It was only about a 60 pounder so it didn't have far to squat. I shot it with its head down and that is bad. It used the head and neck wight as a counter lever and that makes the body drop faster. Going to sight in to hit as low as I did last year and I think I'll be ok.

30-Oct-14
I hade to upgrade the quality of the lenses in my glasses. Either my pins were fuzzy and the target was clear or vice versa. The gal at Walmart said I needed to get the Nikon lenses they carried and proceeded to explain why that was happening , problem solved.

30-Oct-14
Congrats on getting knocked up!

30-Oct-14
Pig dic to hit that deer ivwould have had to aim at his knee. It's hard to aim that low on the first deer if the year. It usually takes a miss Luke that to get your groove on. I can tell by your mentality that you would never figure it out. You would miss everything but the big bucks. They don't drop as fast or as much.

30-Oct-14
After taking the 18 yard shot several minutes past and one of the deer came back out about 40 yards. At that distance they either stand sill and take it though the lungs of get completely out of the way. This one was on his second leap when the arrow buried in the sand.

Not off to a great start but will get the pins failed in fir the squat soon. Slider sight makes it easy.

30-Oct-14
I think Pig Doc must be mad at the world! Just saw him on another post ripping on some kid over score. Sounds like somebody else must need a reality check and may want to get over themselves?!?!

30-Oct-14
"Not off to a great start but will get the pins failed in fir the squat soon. Slider sight makes it easy."

TBM, You adjust the pins for a 18 yard shot for a deer that ducks! Why don't you just hold a bit low with your 20 yard pin if you know the deer is going to drop down? David

31-Oct-14
"Why don't you just hold a bit low with your 20 yard pin if you know the deer is going to drop down?"

Because that just isn't next level thinking.

31-Oct-14
Why not shoot a lighter arrow that gets there quicker?

31-Oct-14
3/4 CLOCKWISE turn on the lower limb bolt with 12 degree COUNTERclockwise cant to combat counter lever of deer ....Moleskin your Allen Wrenches to not give up your position

31-Oct-14
Genesis... now that is some heavy duty next level thinking!!!

31-Oct-14
Or perhaps find one of those old arrow rests that allow you to shoot two arrows at once. That way you can have one hit high if the deer doesn't duck, and the second one lower in case it does duck.

I don't recall who made them, but with your next-level engineoooity you should be able to craft something similar.

31-Oct-14
You guys come up with some great ideas... I love Bowsite!

31-Oct-14
Just curios TBM, have you ever figured your shots v.s. kill ratio?

31-Oct-14
TBM, Gonna be in the low 30's this weekend...should be nice! 3 hour road trip this evening and in a tree in the AM!

31-Oct-14
Gonna be some high winds, Bob.

Be careful.

Good luck.

31-Oct-14
"TBM if you take 200 grains off your 758gr arrow you could hit a deer at 18 yards just by simply hitting where you aim."

Even shooting 300 fps only gets you a few more yards before you get into the same thing

"Why don't you just hold a bit low with your 20 yard pin if you know the deer is going to drop down?"

These deer reach maximum squat at about 16 to 18 with slow bows and 20 to 26 with fast 300+ bows, so you are going to run into the same delimma reguardless of how fast you shoot. You just have to be a good at guessing. They drop around 12 inches and the vital cavity for these smallish deer has a height if 7 inches.

Therefore if I was to have used a 20 yard pin at a deer that was 17 I would have had to aim at his knee just to get a double lung shot. I cannot tell you how hard that is to do. I do a lot better sighting in to hit low. Last season my bow was sighted in 4 inches low at 15 plus I would aim low in my he vitals. I only shot large dies last year so I had a good outcome. I also was only shooting woods deer and they are more relaxed. The reason I wanted to sight in a little higher was because I hit some deer low last year.. close shots that didn't have time to react.

It doesn't sound right but you have to aim higher on deer that's closer and lower on the far ones. The reason being is the deer actually drop faster than the arch of the arrow...usually around an inch for every yard the arrow travels. Arrows don't drop an inch in a yard at closer distances, so deer out drop the arrow...even a 758 grain arrow.

31-Oct-14
why don't you just wait till a taller deer comes on by, those tiny deer are just too quick for that giant missile you are shooting at them.

31-Oct-14
Hey TBM do you have to sharpen your broadheads after each hunt?? All those dirt shots are going to dull them up.

31-Oct-14

Touch them up in the field with this

31-Oct-14
're sighted in. Got it hitting 5 inches low from 15. That should do it.

31-Oct-14
I know what it is about TBM's post. Just like a wreck you just can't stop looking

31-Oct-14
Two things impressed me about yesterdays hunt...The fact that 5 deer ended up feeding in the food plot that basically consisted of fertilized dirt and the thing I think I saw which was the arrow started making contact with hair and hide on the near side if I hE deer and ran up to the too of its back, which basically means the deer layed down almost horizontal.

31-Oct-14
"The are my elk hunting rookie of the year boots."

"Gigged up, locked on, and knocked up."

"I saw the arrow closing in on the vitals and the deer squatted hard. It was only about a 60 pounder so it didn't have far to squat."

I'm getting a bit concerned because TBM is starting to make me laugh! Don't know whether to Sober Up or Drink More? David

31-Oct-14
TBM,

"It's hard to aim that low on the first deer if the year. It usually takes a miss Luke that to get your groove on"

Didn't know they give mulligans in bowhunting- only thought that was in golf.

If you ever go on a hunt where you pay if you draw blood- you will quickly learn that "to get a groove on" can be quite expensive unless you have a lot of money.

31-Oct-14
Pay if u draw blood places are pen raised high fence animals that stand there and let the arrow souge up to the fketching and then think about running. I can hit those all day long and half the nite. Does anybody hunt wild deer besides me?

01-Nov-14
"Nice scent-free footwear there bud."

See how Pats warming up to me know I feel confident a Turkey interview is looming in the horizontal. I could sense it coming. Thew bridal been sinched tight around the horn of the moderators and I havnt received eviction notices in quiet a while. Built up a lot of stock this summer by keeping bs head above water so truthfully, they feel like they owe me. Oh yea...it feels good to be respected. Real good. Just wish ole RC was around to see it.

01-Nov-14
TBM,

I can't recall any high fences on my whitetail, mulie, bear or antelope hunts. They were all "draw blood and you pay hunts". They didn't play mulligan games- just expected the hunter to bring his/her "A Game" to camp and make the shot needed or pay the price. Have never been told that they allowed mulligan/ warm up shots.

You are truly a person of many words and baseless statistics, but very limited experience.

01-Nov-14

01-Nov-14
Just keep flinging - you'll most likely stick something soon somewhere. As usual.

01-Nov-14
you really think outfitters/guides care wether you bring your "A game" or not. they care about the check clearing the bank!!!!!!!

01-Nov-14
TBM, dont mistake entertainment as respect :)

01-Nov-14
TBM, dont mistake entertainment as respect :)

Well said! David

01-Nov-14

Gigged in and locked on...very windy today. Hunting the woods just below the field where I missed Thursday. Not very high and got good visabilatu to the ground so should get an easy shot. If something comes by. Not the best day with all the wind. Good to be up a tree. Cool weather is really nice after a long summer. Love me some fall.

Unlike most of the country, this is not a rut hunt. Don't expect to see a buck. Next 2 weeks ought to be prime for most hunters. Rut ought to get crankin by mid to the end of next week for most. Be january before ours gets going.

01-Nov-14

Pthe 758 ought to blow through anything close to the deer without deflecting much should I fail to see it.

01-Nov-14
Wind want lay freezing cold probably want see a deer should have dine with the landry.

01-Nov-14
Wind is laying and it's getting super cold. About 50 now and I ain't dressed for it.

01-Nov-14
Skunjed

01-Nov-14
Brrrr! Sounds brutal.

Bitter cold like that will cause the arrow to have flatter trajectory due to the thermal density coefficient. But the deer will be stiff too, and may not squat as much. Should balance out?

01-Nov-14
TBM

Why are there wee wee pads on your couch?

02-Nov-14
Well, I hunt nothing but wild deer and I hunt quite a few of them in AL. I can't recall having a problem with them ducking the arrow. I guess it happens, I just can't recall it happening to me. I aim abut two inches above the belly line and about three inches behind the front shoulder. Seems to work for me.

However, I do hunt most of the year in tennis shoes and have never had a problem with deer smelling where I walk.

• Sitka Gear