Sitka Gear
Kelly's most excellent 2 week adventure!
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
kellyharris 30-Oct-14
Bear Track 30-Oct-14
standswittaknife 30-Oct-14
boothill 30-Oct-14
drycreek 30-Oct-14
orionsbrother 30-Oct-14
Bou'bound 30-Oct-14
kellyharris 30-Oct-14
INbowdude 30-Oct-14
Buffalo1 30-Oct-14
milnrick 30-Oct-14
Bou'bound 31-Oct-14
JayG@work 31-Oct-14
kellyharris 31-Oct-14
kellyharris 31-Oct-14
Mule Power 31-Oct-14
HUNT MAN 31-Oct-14
WV Mountaineer 31-Oct-14
oldgoat 31-Oct-14
Deerial Killer 31-Oct-14
CAS_HNTR 31-Oct-14
kellyharris 31-Oct-14
elmer@laptop 01-Nov-14
Jack Harris 01-Nov-14
orionsbrother 01-Nov-14
Trophy8 01-Nov-14
SteveB 01-Nov-14
kellyharris 01-Nov-14
midwest 01-Nov-14
kellyharris 01-Nov-14
kellyharris 02-Nov-14
kellyharris 02-Nov-14
JayG@work 02-Nov-14
Mule Power 02-Nov-14
stealthycat 02-Nov-14
Medicinemann 02-Nov-14
kellyharris 02-Nov-14
kellyharris 02-Nov-14
Nick Muche 02-Nov-14
Mule Power 02-Nov-14
kellyharris 02-Nov-14
JayG@work 03-Nov-14
kellyharris 03-Nov-14
Medicinemann 03-Nov-14
sureshot 03-Nov-14
Fuzzy 03-Nov-14
GhostBird 03-Nov-14
Buffalo1 03-Nov-14
Jeremiah 03-Nov-14
kellyharris 04-Nov-14
mn_archer 04-Nov-14
INbowdude 04-Nov-14
Muzzymeat 04-Nov-14
orionsbrother 04-Nov-14
Bou'bound 04-Nov-14
kellyharris 04-Nov-14
kellyharris 04-Nov-14
kellyharris 04-Nov-14
kellyharris 04-Nov-14
midwest 04-Nov-14
kellyharris 04-Nov-14
Bowme2 04-Nov-14
Nick Muche 04-Nov-14
milnrick 04-Nov-14
mn_archer 04-Nov-14
Bowbender 04-Nov-14
Jack Harris 04-Nov-14
Gman 04-Nov-14
T Mac 04-Nov-14
BOWNUT 04-Nov-14
JW 04-Nov-14
Chip T. 04-Nov-14
Mule Power 04-Nov-14
Bear Track 04-Nov-14
Grunt-N-Gobble 05-Nov-14
elmer@laptop 05-Nov-14
sureshot 05-Nov-14
kellyharris 05-Nov-14
Trophy8 05-Nov-14
centerpunch 05-Nov-14
otcWill 05-Nov-14
GhostBird 05-Nov-14
Rex Featherlin 05-Nov-14
boothill 05-Nov-14
Medicinemann 05-Nov-14
CurveBow 05-Nov-14
wild1 05-Nov-14
Old Crow 05-Nov-14
Bou'bound 05-Nov-14
Chris S 05-Nov-14
kellyharris 05-Nov-14
Nick Muche 05-Nov-14
Bou'bound 05-Nov-14
TD 05-Nov-14
Nick Muche 05-Nov-14
WV Mountaineer 05-Nov-14
Jack Harris 05-Nov-14
TurkeyBowMaster 05-Nov-14
Buffalo1 06-Nov-14
TD 07-Nov-14
INbowdude 07-Nov-14
kellyharris 07-Nov-14
Mule Power 07-Nov-14
drycreek 07-Nov-14
kellyharris 09-Nov-14
kellyharris 09-Nov-14
non-typical 09-Nov-14
Mule Power 09-Nov-14
non-typical 09-Nov-14
non-typical 09-Nov-14
non-typical 09-Nov-14
non-typical 09-Nov-14
kellyharris 09-Nov-14
Mule Power 09-Nov-14
non-typical 10-Nov-14
kellyharris 11-Nov-14
standswittaknife 11-Nov-14
CAS_HNTR 11-Nov-14
kellyharris 11-Nov-14
kellyharris 12-Nov-14
non-typical 12-Nov-14
non-typical 12-Nov-14
kellyharris 13-Nov-14
kellyharris 13-Nov-14
Bou'bound 13-Nov-14
Bear Track 13-Nov-14
Jack Harris 13-Nov-14
cityhunter 13-Nov-14
drycreek 13-Nov-14
kellyharris 14-Nov-14
Medicinemann 14-Nov-14
kellyharris 15-Nov-14
Bou'bound 15-Nov-14
Bou'bound 17-Nov-14
kellyharris 17-Nov-14
midwest 17-Nov-14
milnrick 17-Nov-14
Bou'bound 17-Nov-14
T Mac 17-Nov-14
INbowdude 17-Nov-14
Beav 18-Nov-14
30-Oct-14
Well it's that time of year again I will be leaving for hunting camp Saturday Morning. I will be meeting up with Jayg that day. Serb cannot make it out this year he was forced to forgo his vacation late last week.

I will be hunting with a few other bowsiters that mainly post on the Ohio forum.

I sold our big Keystone Raptor toyhauler this spring and I have to say I was freaking out not finding a camper I liked to replace it. Fortunatley I found one last Sunday its a 2006 Gulfshore bunkhouse thats 32 or 35 ft long?

I had to replace the water heater in it today which was just at $400.00 but the nice part it runs on either propane or electric.

michele and I are buying a new mattress for it tomorrow. I dont like the quality of a matress that comes with a camper.

Last weekend I also went out to the property to check everything out and to see what activity was going on. There were scrapes everywhere. I didnt see one rub but wow there was a lot of scrape activity all over the place.

As you may have seen on another forum we bought Morgan a Polaris RZR side by side for her bday. She is on pins and needles waiting to get it out there!

I have always had to cock Morgans crossbow because of her arm. Well I bought her and her mother new crossbows a Parker Challenger with a crank cocking mechanism that works great. She has informed me that it is time for her to hunt by herself and me not sit with her! WOW this is weird!!!!! Whats funny Morgan said NO-WAY DAD to the pink one she looks at me and says I am a real hunter I want real camo give mom the pink one. What sucks is Michele never practiced once with her Mission Menace bow and has shot the crossbow everyday and is driving tacks! But its a crossbow shooting off a rest so that is to be expected.

I set up two double ladder stands for her and she doesnt know it but I am less than 75 yards from her on each stand. one I am just around the point in a bottom and the other she is just off the crest of a ridge and I am on the other side in a different drainage.

I am taking the new camper out Saturday morning so we wont start hunting until the evening.

I just wanted to get this thread going as I do every year. I dont do live hunts I prefer to do this so I can reflect back on each season in one thread.

More to come....

30-Oct-14
Good for you and the Harris family Kelly. I look forward to this every year and this is going to be special hearing her own adventure stories at the end of the day. So Michele is hunting also? Good for you all!!!! There will be a family photo or 6 in this thread I hope.

30-Oct-14
Love the thread every year. I'll be flying out soon to Ohio and be paying attention to ya.. Good luck?!

30-Oct-14
What? No more Kelly and Morgan selfies from the stand?

30-Oct-14
An adventure in the making ! Best of luck to all of you , but especially Morgan ! Hope she gets that ride bloody !

30-Oct-14
Good luck! Have fun.

The kids'll want some updates from Morgan. If she's flying solo, she's going to have to do some updates for her small fans or they'll be disappointed.

30-Oct-14
holding out for that 165" again this year Kelly?

30-Oct-14
Bou, that was the 185 and I have not seen hide nor hair if him.

I will be holding out for a true wallhanger as always.

It gets tough lettting these bucks that you know score in the 140's walk. Last year was sparse for me in seeing a whole bunch.

I am taking Morgan out of school next Monday and Tuesday so she can see what the rut is about in her own eyes! I believe I have her on the hottest location we have up there so we shall see.

30-Oct-14
Kelly, when she's a senior in high school, you just might as well enroll her in my school. Hunting with mom and dad is an excused absence in my book.

Best of luck to Morgan and the rest of your crew.

30-Oct-14
Kelly,

You always provide an interesting and entertaining hunting thread. Looking forward to following you and your family.

Best of luck and hunt safely.

30-Oct-14
Good luck to the Harris Clan. Millie and I look forward to this thread every year.

31-Oct-14
165 or 185 it does not matter ......they are all the same until you kill it!!! good luck.

31-Oct-14
Kelly, my bags are packed!! I only have 4 vacuum bags of clothes this year. LOL Tonight I load the trailer with the wheeler and the stands. If I can make good enough time, maybe I can hunt the afternoon tomorrow,, or at least get out and get my orientation on the trails again.

This year I didn't get to hunt much until this point. I was going through some stress on the job, and building a chicken coop that took my weekends. I am looking forward to getting out there and having a hunting VACATION!!

I am sooo stoked.. Leaving work in an hour, getting home, shooting BHs for a bit, then loading up to head out at 0400..... S'posed to be snowing,, but we'll see!!

31-Oct-14
Jay,

I am pulling camper up tomorrow and michele is pulling a trailer with 2 atv and morgans RZR she has never towed anything this is gonna be real fun!

Once we get setup we are going up to cross creek to buy our license and tags.

Dad wont be in until late Sunday possibly Monday. Ries and Savely are going up tomorrow morning and my cousin Jason will be up Sunday night.

I have enough groceries to get us by until Tuesday.

I also have 7 cases of beer(Miller Lite) that should last until next Sunday or Monday!!! Oh yeh and I have another friend Captain Morgan!!!

31-Oct-14
Bou the last several years I have hunted for one specific buck letting many walk.

Fortunately this year I have not singled out one specific buck so if its a wallhanger I am throwing some stainless, carbon fiber, and plastic at it.

31-Oct-14
Who is going to wake Morgan up when a deer shows up? lol

I think it's awesome that she made the decision to hunt on her own. I hope she doesn't hear you crying over there in your tree!

Good luck guys and gals!

James Tiberious Kirk. lmao

31-Oct-14
Is the princess of bowhunting coming this year?

31-Oct-14
Good luck to you all. God Bless

31-Oct-14
I'm jealous! I have to wait another week and a half to go again!

31-Oct-14
X2

31-Oct-14
Good luck buddy.....ill be 30 miles up the road working on ending a buck dry spell!

31-Oct-14
Wooo Hoooooooooooo Off work and so the pilgrimage begins!!!!!

Cas- Stop by anyday for lunch! Do you still remember how to get there?

01-Nov-14
Can't wait to hear the stories!

01-Nov-14
good luck cuz... And don't be so damn selective, hunting is about having fun, enjoying the outdoors, and getting that thrill of a nice rack walking in range... Don't worry about the score! I think a 114 will do you just fine....

01-Nov-14
Go get 'em! Have fun!

01-Nov-14
Sounds like a blast! Good luck!

01-Nov-14
Good luck! The bucks are really moving in northeast Ohio. My son saw 10 bucks between last evening and this morning sit with 4 shooters, just no good shots.

01-Nov-14

kellyharris's embedded Photo
Ok Murphys law is in full force!

I didn't get to camp until 3:40 and within 10 minutes Jayg pulled up.

I did get to all 3 stands I have setup for Morgan and all is good.

Michele and Morgan took stuff out of our old camper (now my Dad's) and put it in the new (used) one we pulled up and setup today.

Michele is not hunting tomorrow she is going to finish organizing the new camper.

Morgan, Michele and I just bought our hunting license at CrossCreek General store and are eating dinner at the Club Vinton!

Ad you can tell I helped setup the camper today as well!!!

01-Nov-14
Crank up the hot dog song!!!

01-Nov-14
Wow Morgan says dad I have a new favorite group and they are really old like your age!

She says dad give me 2 bucks for the juke box.

All of a sudden Led Zeppelin comes on Black Dog, so I go up and play my favorite Zeplin song (when the levee breaks) and we all agreed to play stairway to heaven!

After this going to camp to get some sleep.

Oh tonights dinner was fried balogna and a bacon cheese burger.

02-Nov-14

02-Nov-14
Ok it's 05:32 and Morgan is awake!!!!

Let's see what this m I rings hunt shall bring?

02-Nov-14
I just had a two pairs of does with fawns come throuthrough at 20 yards. One of the fawns was a button buck After watching them for above 10 minutes, I decided I would shoot the biggest doe, they caught my wind and blew out.... Dammit!! This morning, day 1 of my hunt, the first deer I saw was a shooter at 80 yards ..... . And as I was typing that, I had a food 8 come in right behind me. So far this morning I have seen more deer than I've seen hunting in New York all year. Time to put this away.I don't want to be typing when another job comes in.

02-Nov-14
Food 8? You meat hunting already Jay? lol

Black Dog! I knew she was gonna be way cooler than you when she grew up Kelly.

Did I see on FB someone killed a doe?

02-Nov-14
is this considered a DIY hunt ??

:)

02-Nov-14
Kelly,

Are you drinking PABST these days??!!!

02-Nov-14

Ha ha Millercoors does make Pabst beer and has for maybe 10 years.

Yes Tyler Savel Morgan's oldest friend killed a nice doe last night.

Morgan saw six does and one buck this morning.

Here is the photo she took of the buck.

02-Nov-14
I saw 4 deer one decent buck I button and 2 doe, 2 fox squirrell, 1 hawk and 1 chipmunk

02-Nov-14
Gotta be fun seeing deer!

02-Nov-14
Any sign of those hogs that were around before?

02-Nov-14
Yes chipper saw siX pigs this morning tonight Jayg saw six and a big 10 about 50 yards away.

Just at dark I missed a coyote. It was so dark I wasn't sure if bobcat or yote? Then I got some light on him. Misjudged distance and shot just underneath him.

Morgan didn't see anything tonight.

03-Nov-14
I just had a two pairs of does with fawns come throuthrough at 20 yards. One of the fawns was a button buck After watching them for above 10 minutes, I decided I would shoot the biggest doe, they caught my wind and blew out.... Dammit!! This morning, day 1 of my hunt, the first deer I saw was a shooter at 80 yards ..... . And as I was typing that, I had a food 8 come in right behind me. So far this morning I have seen more deer than I've seen hunting in New York all year. Time to put this away.I don't want to be typing when another job comes in.

03-Nov-14
Ok late morning today getting in the stand! It was 23 degrees and Morgan chose to wait until the sun came up and it was 33 degrees before getting out. We got in stand at 8:45 and seeing nothing. Jayg must be in the hot zone because he is seeing all kinds of action yesterday and today!

Morgan and I will be getting down at 11:30 I need to put rapid rails up on my dad's stand. We hung is stand 6-7 weeks ago but he didn't want steps put in until he was ready to hunt.

Very slow day today on this end of property. I am hearing footsteps have to sign off.

Oh BTW I missed a yote last night.

03-Nov-14
"Ha ha Millercoors does make Pabst beer and has for maybe 10 years."

The things that you learn on Bowsite!!

03-Nov-14
Good Luck Kelly. I was hunting the wrong areas all weekend myself, it was dead.

03-Nov-14
good luck and stay safe Cap'n! :-)

03-Nov-14
OK.. looks good so far, GOOD LUCK to all!!!

However, you have the camper shored up with one jack, a laundry basket, and a bunch of Lite!!!

I am worried what happens when the Lite supply dwindles. Will the laundry basket hold the load???

... Carry on!!!

03-Nov-14
I am putting my money on Morgan to score first and put meat in the cooler.

03-Nov-14
Morgan will shoot all the deer while Kelly educates us on BEER!

Have fun out there!

Good luck!

04-Nov-14
Morgan just texted she just shot a big doe and thinks she heard it crash!!!

Jake contract brewer for them.

04-Nov-14
sweet. nice job Morgan

04-Nov-14
Go Morgan, go!

04-Nov-14
Awesome!

04-Nov-14
Kelly - My five year old is very excited for Morgan!

As dictated to me:

"Morgan, I'm happy for you! I want to bow hunt deer like you. I have a red bow. I wish you good luck. I am five And I am in kindergarten. I go to Wisconsin."

Appreciate you passing along a message from one of Morgan's smaller fans. There was a lot of excited chatter next to my head.

Congratulations Morgan,

04-Nov-14
Did you find the deer. Good luck Morgan.

04-Nov-14

04-Nov-14

04-Nov-14

04-Nov-14

04-Nov-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Congrats, Morgan!

04-Nov-14
Wow she blistered the shot! Entry was behind back rin exit was dead thru the middle of the opposite shoulder.

When we got to it she says (Hey Dad?) I reply What? She says (So is this what ground shrinkage is!) Lmao

I told her honey it's your first deer and you did everything right size doesn't matter there will be a big old buck in your near future that will make you just as happy as this one does.

Guys I am so proud of her I cannot even begin to explain.

She is already asking about POW in 2016

04-Nov-14
Great job, Morgan and Poppa!

04-Nov-14
Kick ass man! I like it!

04-Nov-14
Morgan

Congratulations on your first deer. Millie and I are very happy for you.

04-Nov-14
that's pretty awesome Kelly, a great moment for you both. I cant wait for my son to get in the stand...

04-Nov-14
Congrats on your first deer, Morgan. That smile says it all!!

04-Nov-14
AWESOME- CONGRATS HARRIS FAMILY! Nice shot Morgan

04-Nov-14
Great job Morgan! You never forget your first deer, revel in the fact that it all went according to plan. Keep it up!

04-Nov-14
Awesome! Congrats Morgan and Kelly!

04-Nov-14
Nice one Morgan. Enjoy the back straps.

04-Nov-14
Great job! Congrats!

04-Nov-14
Way to go pretty lady!!!! Congrats!!!

04-Nov-14
Speechless. sniff sniff.

You got that "don't worry honey size doesn't matter" line from Michele! :-)

Congrats Morgan. I'm uh... lookin' for an elk hunting partner for next year! I have a couple awesome stand trees picked out.

04-Nov-14
Wonderful start to a great hunt. You've both done well! Kelly you have a partner for life! Wonder if she will sleep tonight?

05-Nov-14
Great job!!!! Congrats.

05-Nov-14
Way to go Morgan!!

05-Nov-14
Pitures are worth a thousand words! Great job Morgan!

05-Nov-14
She went home last night her mom met us in Chilicothee we had dinner and she was smiles the whole time.

That was deer #5 for her. She is 3 with a crossbow and 2 with a shotgun.

She said she already texted several boys from her school rubbing it in that theregard was no adult sitting with her. That dad was 70 yards away. Actually I'm about 120 yds.

05-Nov-14
Congrats...good shooting!

05-Nov-14
Way to go Morgan!!! You rock girl!!!

05-Nov-14
Good deal! Congrats to her!

05-Nov-14
Congratulations to Morgan!!!

... hope the beer supply is holding out!

05-Nov-14
Congratulation Miss Morgan!!! Not only did you make your dad proud. You made us all proud!!!

05-Nov-14
That was pretty funny about the ground shrinkage....Sure will be some tender backstraps though.

05-Nov-14
Now that she has gone home, who is going to gut your deer for you? I figured that she had probably been doing it all up until now.... :)

Well Done, Morgan!

Have you seen the new Bowsite thread entitled "Funny cartoon print must see"? When that young lady gets her braces off, you're gonna be like papa buck in that cartoon!! LOL!!

05-Nov-14
Congratulations Morgan!!! : )

>>>>-------->

05-Nov-14
Outstanding!! Love that smile!

05-Nov-14
Congrats Morgan! That's what memories are made of, hunting with Dad, or granddad, and killing a deer. Something she will remember the rest of her life.

05-Nov-14
"Now that she has gone home, who is going to gut your deer for you? "

Jake that assumes he is going to need to gut a deer.

05-Nov-14
Who's the 20 year old model with the deer? Where's your little girl? I feel like we all watching her grow up Way Way Way too fast I'm very happy for you guys wishes of continued good health and happiness!! Congrats Kelly your doing a wonderful job!

05-Nov-14
Ok I didn't get in stand until 4:11. Our processor went out of business and I was referred to another processor which was 6 miles out of Athens Ohio. Home of Ohio University Bobcats. when I carried Morgan's deer in and saw dried blood on the cutting table I just said no thanks I will do it myself.

I grunted in two bucks a high/tall 8 and a ten both looked to score mid to high 130's

05-Nov-14
Who passes a mid to high 130s 8 point?

05-Nov-14
he did not say be passed up a shot opportunity at them he said he rattled them in

05-Nov-14
Congrats to Morgan, job well done. Great shot and that's going to be some great eating.

Haven't seen a pic of her for a while....that young lady is growing up fast. The little kid I recall pics of is gone already.

My father in law was sitting on the couch in the living room cleaning his shotgun when I showed up for my first date with Coach. Not a bad play....

05-Nov-14
No mention of rattling.

Grunted in.... To me means, grunted in. Into range. Otherwise I'd say grunted out. Lol.

05-Nov-14
Congrats to Morgan. Get'em Kelly. God Bless

05-Nov-14
Kelly is waiting for the perfect 114 - sorta a self-fulfilling prophecy :)

05-Nov-14
Awesome job. Great shot and doing it solo...that's pretty solid right there

06-Nov-14
Congrats Morgan- knew you would be successful. Just the first of many for you !!!!

07-Nov-14
Must be so many deer hittin' the ground they don't have time to fill us in here.....

That or the beer.... =D

07-Nov-14
Atta girl, Morgan!

07-Nov-14
Ok I climbed in tree pulled bow up hit grunt tube instantly in comes 118-120 8 point. I wasn't in the stand 2 minutes. Lol

Morgan stayed in camp this evening with grandpa. Michele is hunting in Morgan's stand and has seen 2 deer. It's the.first time she ever saw a deer while hunting.

When 8 pointer came by I watched him go to the bottom then another buck from the other ridge starts grunting. I worked the grunt some more but couldn't call him in.

07-Nov-14
Man I hope Michele scores next!

07-Nov-14
Y'all are having a great time I can tell. Congrats to Morgan and good luck to the rest !

09-Nov-14
Ok 2 nights ago Michele saw her first ever deer while in a tree stand. Yesterday day she saw 4 different doe each being chased by a different buck. She said 2 were 8 pointers and 2 were 10 pointers.

She said she was texting a friend and happened to look up and there is a different 10 pointer 8 yards in front of her.she pulled up her crossbow but she smacked the stock on a buckle on her safety harness.

She came.in to camp and said where do you wear your safety harness. I replied under your jacket. She replied why didn't you tell me? I replied it's not hunting unless you learn from your mistakes. (WOW shooter buck just ran a doe below me about 80 yards tall and wide from this distance).

I told her that's what's wrong with you kids these days videos, youtube, .Com bullshit you learn nothing on your own! Lol she punched me in the arm!!!

Hopefully someone tags something today.

Jayg shitlaris sportsman 400 to a big shit on him yesterday. I tell everyone buy a metric quad!!!

Post more later.

09-Nov-14
Just got a text from Michele she has seen 5 doe.

09-Nov-14
Do you need me to come down and change the luck Kelly? ;)

09-Nov-14
Ryan... what's shaking up in Erie? I always hear there are big bucks on the Peninsula. Ever hunt there? Lots of thick stuff along the lake. How's your season been going?

09-Nov-14

non-typical's embedded Photo
There are some pigs here. I live 5 miles from the peninsula. I shot this buck Friday along the lake shore where I found this little 5 a couple years back.

09-Nov-14

09-Nov-14

09-Nov-14
I hunt the pennisula for ducks a lot. Last year we shot over 1000 ducks and geese.

09-Nov-14
I would shoot that 5 in a heartbeat!

09-Nov-14
Hogs Kelly.... what's up wiith the hogs down there???

Nice buck Non Typical. Congratulations. Are the steelhead running good?

10-Nov-14
Yea real good this year for them slim!

11-Nov-14

Ok looks like things are picking up!

I've seen 5 bucks and 2 doe nothing worth shooting. Doe were to small as we're the bucks.

Lol make that 3 doe one just walked in on me. Small doe as well.

This has been biggest buck this morning he was at 9 yards broadside

11-Nov-14
Kelly, good to hear. Fly from Colorado to Columbus tomorrow. Hope this storm doesn't mess me up! Hunting ourside of Dresden.

11-Nov-14

CAS_HNTR's embedded Photo
CAS_HNTR's embedded Photo
Keep after them Kelly....we had a good weekend last weekend and hope you (and the rest of the hunters) can cross paths with a good one.....same goes to you Danny!

Here's some motivation....the bucks we got down last weekend!

11-Nov-14
Ok in stand for the evening and forgot my grunt tube?????????

I grunted in all 5 bucks today and every buck I ever shot.

My dad went to town he had a new axle put on his shitlarise sportsman 400 2 weeks ago only to have a limb come up and rip the new boot today. So he is driving it into chilicothe to the Shitlaris dealership.

Tonight we are going into town to eat at Olive Garden. They have free dinner for active and veterans today.

Hopefully more to post? It will rain tonight and tomorrow high is 38 much cooler than the present 72 degrees!

12-Nov-14
I grubted in 3 deer by using my mouth but couldn't see any of them.

Olive Garden did a great job for Jayg, my dad, and Mikey.

12-Nov-14
Did it look like pats bear hunt pic????

12-Nov-14

13-Nov-14
? Ryan sorry I'm lost on that comment.

OK day 12 and it's been slower for me seeing deer this year than any in the last 10 years.

The neighbor who we don't have the best relationship with started logging on opening day of deer season.

Kind of odd that the two weeks we are here they are cutting right at the property line. Almost daily they are shooting off guns. Last Sunday they even let off a stick of dynamite.

Our property is big so we can keep our distance easily but with that and the pigs it's been rough.

Morgan is not hunting this weekend so Michele is coming up to hunt.

I think last weekend finally hooked her on the hunting!

I know the rut is running hard because I could hear one running one below me last night and grunted in 8 the night before. The problem is the lack of big shooter bucks I have not seen.

Hopefully today becomes a game changer????

13-Nov-14
Ok I just missed a true 114'r.

Lol ok abut a 155 buck he had 10-12 g2.

I got into tree in the dark using my summit. Well the tree never got smaller so stand has a bad lean going backwards.

I had my release over my glove and I had to pee. I slide glove off pee off stand. As soon as I am done I see a doe 130 yds below me. Then I see a deer behind her with some serious height. He grunts she runs 40 yards so I say ok two can play this game I do 3 short tending grunts. He breaks off hER and starts working zig zag up hill towards me.

He stops at 25 yards broadside but I don't have a clear shot. He moves diagonally up the hill then at 30 yards I have a awesome quartering away shot.

I pull bow back and I am like WTH!!!

From where I had the release over the glove and now the glove is off I can barely touch trigger and I cannot lay my thumb under my jaw line??*

Any hoot I shot under him and instantly gave a mouth grunt.

He went 40 yards stopped. He stayed there for 20 minutes looking in my direction and went to where the doe went.

More to follow it's only 9am.

13-Nov-14
Hang in there Kelly it's prime time

one suggestion maybe to lower your Treestand......... if you're 130 yards high up when you had that Doe below you that's a long shot down and the angle is a really tough at that height man.

what are you hunting out of sequoias??????????

13-Nov-14
I've done that exact scenario. Could not even reach the trigger!

13-Nov-14
This is whyilike my truefire with buckle strap. I count the open slots when shooting no glove - it's 3. Light glove it's 4. medium glove -5 and heaviest glove - 6. I have tested it in target and many live deer and my POI always remains consistent.

13-Nov-14
whenever u move position on a release get ready for diff anchor point which usually spells trouble ,, I guess it wasn't the bucks day to die !!

13-Nov-14
X2 Jack. It's 4 and for me.

14-Nov-14
I have a kisser button so I was able to anchor via that.

As I said the freaking release was way past my ear but I still anchored.

Funny part Jack Harris was texting me when all this went down. Skip forward to tonight.

I am in the stand less than 2 minutes text from cousin Jack. Low and behold I see a buck on that trail 130 yds below me who will fall into my all time top 3 largest bucks ever seen while hunting. Guses who is moving his stand in the AM???

After I got in the tree this evening I realized I misjudied the distance of the buck I shot at this morning. He was 38 yds. Not 30!

Tonight I saw 5 deer 3 bucks and 2 doe.

More to post tomorrow.

14-Nov-14
Good luck, Kelly...... keep us posted.

15-Nov-14
Ok we pull our tomorrow night. This morning I have had 2 doe come by and one buck. Buck wasn't the almighty 114 class buck so he is free to roam these hills all he wants to.

It's 8:50am and hopefully it warms up a bit? It was 16 degrees this morning.

15-Nov-14
Pull out a last day coup and shoot one will you. It's been a few years it seems.

17-Nov-14
So how did this year end?

17-Nov-14
The season isnt over but the 2 week adventure is!

I would rate the 2 week adventure 2 thumbs up.

Both Jayg and I missed true trophy caliper deer.

We both saw bigger than we missed.

My wife saw her first deer while hunting to be followed the next day with 4 different bucks running 4 different doe. She got busted trying to get her sights on a 10 point.

My daughter got her first kill while hunting all by herself in a stand.

I got all the electric ran unnderground for my dads camper. We also identified new camper spots to make the property look more presentable to the neighbors.

My old director Matt Gabris hunted with me and took his first deer without a firearm.

I got to hunt with my cousin Jason Harris who is more like a cocky little brother to me for about 9 days. He let more 130-140 bucks walk than anyone this trip.

I got to hunt another season with my dad! :0)

I found a new honey hole that should last me several years to hunt.

Several years ago Medicnemann hunted with me out at the property and told me a person could train to sheep hunt on a few of those hills. I hunted near the very bottom and walked out without having to take a breather each time!!! Losing 35 lbs sure did help on that.

We had lots of cold beer and good food!

The last day which was yesterday I climbed out of my stand at 07:35 and snuck over to where my wife was hunting. It was our first snow fall and I thought it would be neat to try and grunt her in a buck. I grunted two in but there was never a shot opportunity for her. She did learn how to grunt I hope?

As for those who think I should have shot the 130's we have a rule on our hunting club. (You shoot a buck you have to have it mounted) There is no ifs ands or but's on this unless your a minor or its your first ever buck. With that being said you think real hard before you shoot something that is going to cost you around 400.00 to get mounted.

I let many doe walk and I let a few bucks as well.

Only thing that I think could have made it better was if Serbian Shark could have made it to camp! But that is what next year is for.

It looks like my son Tyler is coming up to hunt between Christmas and new years. He has not hunted in about 9-10 years. he plans on hunting with Morgan so she is estatic about that!!!

Morgan and mom both love their new crossbows. I bought them both a Parker challenger! Light weight, small footprint, and Morgan can use the manual cocker to cock it herself. Morgan seems very pleased that mom is hunting with a crossbow as well. Michele has a Mission Menace but with her hunting with the crossbow Morgan no longer feels singled out.

Morgan loved riding her new RZR back and forth to the stand. She was smiling ear to ear when we put her doe in the back of it!

I am sure Jayg will have a few words to post of his season recap as he usually does.

Folks the season is far from over. More to come!!!

Kelly

17-Nov-14
Hope you have a good pic of Morgan and her doe in the RZR.

17-Nov-14
Kelly

I'm not sure anything could top this years adventure, other than perhaps seeing your wife or daughter take their first B.O.B.

Having your son in camp later this year will be a bonus.

Good luck and keep the posts coming.

RH

17-Nov-14
that was a year for the books! congrats.

17-Nov-14
I always enjoy following along! Thanks Kelly!

17-Nov-14
Thanks for taking us along on your adventure!

18-Nov-14
Thanks and good luck the rest of the season!

• Sitka Gear