Mule Power 05-Nov-14
huntingbob 05-Nov-14
LaGriz 06-Nov-14
ShadowWalker 06-Nov-14
ShadowWalker 06-Nov-14
Mule Power 06-Nov-14
Gerry 07-Nov-14
30-Oct-14
I'm looking at a Four Dog Stove to put in my Big Horn III tent. I was going to buy one when I was told that the baffle in the stove restricts the draw at higher elevation. I plan to be setting up camp at about 7500'. Has anyone had any issues with this stove at higher elevations? Thanks.

30-Oct-14
double post ...

30-Oct-14

scrapwood's embedded Photo
scrapwood's embedded Photo
I have used my Four Dog stove at 9,000 ft. in Colorado in November with no problems. I did purchase one size up from what was recommended for my 10x12 wall tent. It gets pretty toasty in the tent!

It's my understanding that baffle is for creating a hot spot on the stove top to help with cooking. I have cooked and percolated coffee on it, and it does that really well.

I've been very happy with mine so far.

30-Oct-14
Thanks, Scrapwood. Any issues will smoke in the tent when you open the door? I like the idea of the baffle which is supposed to burn extra gases.

31-Oct-14
pm Mule Power.... He will know.

31-Oct-14
I used a 3 dog in my 12x12 Alaknak this year at 8550 ft and it worked fine. The baffle burns extra gasses that got up the pipe and also reduced sparks out the top. The only smoke came when my partner opened the door to restart the fire and blew into it to heat up the coals. As long as you start the stove as per instructions it doesn't smoke.

31-Oct-14
Thanks for the feedback. I'd better get that Four Dog ordered! There is a 2 week delay to ship it. Cow elk hunt coming up in December.

31-Oct-14
Used a 3 dog in a 12 x 20 Alaknak at 9500 ft this fall with excellent results.

31-Oct-14
Great news from all! Cuz I pulled the trigger on a Four Dog. I'm anxious to get it fired up.

03-Nov-14
LXshooter, Did you happen to find out if they will be making the titanium models again any time soon? I had a chance to pick one up on this site but hesitated and lost my oppertunity. Which model did you get? LaGriz

03-Nov-14
Congrats on your purchase, I think you will be happy with it.

I have not personally had issues with smoke inside the tent.

When I ordered mine, I also got a chimney that collapses down and stores inside the stove. When assembled, I have little sheet metal screws that go in where the sections overlap to help hold it up. I also made a brace to secure it to the tent frame. The brace gives me peace of mind when it gets real windy.

04-Nov-14
" I plan to be setting up camp at about 7500'."

LOL! I live at 7500, I thought you said @ elevation!

enjoy your hunt and stove!

04-Nov-14
I have a hard time imagining not getting a good draw through the pipe with cool air above and a fire in the stove regardless of elevation. Can someone smarter than me explain how elevation makes a difference in this scenario?

04-Nov-14
A pic of the actual stove would be nice:)

05-Nov-14
I've used plenty of different stoves over the years. No square stoves for me. The flat sides eventually warp. A round stove like the ones from Cylinder Stoves is more structurally sound. Put about an inch or so of dirt across the bottom so the heat is distributed evenly and that round stove will last forever.

05-Nov-14
Mulepower said exactly what my experience with lighter flat stoves. I bought one that takes down into a bag and it is very hard to get back together again after the warping. But both do still work. I had a Cylinder stove for my first one and sent it back as it was too big for my 12X20 Alaknak. It got so hot I had to put a piece of metal roofing I found behind the stove so I didn't burn a hole in the wall of my tent. I wish one could get the stove jack positioned in the center of the tent not against a wall. Heat would be more regulated for everyone inside the tent. Bob.

06-Nov-14
Anyone have history with their Titanium Models?

Any word on if or when they may be offered again?

Thanks in advance

LaGriz

06-Nov-14

ShadowWalker's embedded Photo
I was told that the baffle inside the stove could reduce the draw at higher elevations. See pic. The stove originally comes with a 5" nested pipe that starts at 5" and exhausts at 4". To help improve the draw capability, I purchased a 5" nested pipe that starts at 5" and exhausts at 6".

06-Nov-14

Here is one of the Four Dog Stove.

06-Nov-14
That thing has "warp" written all over it.

07-Nov-14
My hunting partner has one in a 14 x 16 wall tent We have over 120 days on it in temperatures down to minus 25 c . It has not warped and if stoked proper will burn all night. Get an ECO fan it even s out the temperature from top to bottom.

• Sitka Gear