drycreek 03-Nov-14
Jaquomo 03-Nov-14
Bowbender 03-Nov-14
Docstream 11-Nov-14
Purdue 12-Nov-14
30-Oct-14

Blackfly's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
Blackfly's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

I started a new food plot this year for purple top forage turnips. The plot originally was a hayfield but for the past 10 years, I have mowed and left the cuttings lay to build up the soil as it is very heavy clay. I added lime this spring and fertilized with 10-10-10 just prior to planting in late August. I broadcast seeded at a rate of about 1/4 pound per 1000 sq.ft. just prior to a rainfall. The field came in really good for about 2 months. Then in large areas, the plant leaves turned color as shown in the picture. What's my problem? Ive grown turnips before in other plots and not had this problem. The areas most affected seem to be those that are in the low-lying spots. We've had several heavy rain storms and these areas have remained wet, but I am not sure that is the cause. Could it be that the rain caused a concentration of the fertilizer to leach into these areas and burn the plants? Or is there something else going wrong? The soil pH is running about 6.8

30-Oct-14
According to my farming consultant, the farm girl wife, she says it may be alternaria or black spot fungus, which can be common in cooler wet conditions.

But I defer to any full time current farmers with greater knowledge...without discounting her extensive knowledge.

She's right next to me.

03-Nov-14
Read my new topic posting on soils...

Everyone just looks at pH but that is only 1 part of the equation. I use to soil judge many many years ago and thats where i came to appreciate soil tilth. Texture, structure and organic matter became important for me. As i got into the nutrition consulting area, i always recommended to my clients to use wise conservation practices as it made my job easier from a nutrition standpoint.

Your pH was 6.8 but you got a lot of rain. You also used 10-10-10...but you didn't say how much you used. I recommend 8-23-30-6 for many reasons. What was %??? What tillage practices did you use?

In situations like this, i'd love it if people would take a picture of the plot as well as a close up of the soil. That will help give agronomists more insight than just a picture...an f.y.i

03-Nov-14
Orionsbrother......you got it goin' on !

03-Nov-14
Sorry I have nothing of value to add.

When I saw the thread title I assumed it was another one of Hammer's threads and wanted to help him out.

03-Nov-14
Jaquomo,

Thought the same thing. Lol. Was thinkin' hell man, I wouldn't know where to start.

Blackfly, sorry for the hijack. Back to normal programming.

11-Nov-14
Low phosphorus generally produces purple colored leaves and poor production. Been there, especially after making the mistake of planting Shot Plot in the same stand for 3 years. Also used 10-10-10 as the price is nice.

12-Nov-14
I'll guess iron deficiency. Sulfur can help if that's the problem.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_deficiency_(plant_disorder)

Take a soil sample and the leaves to your county agriculture extension.

• Sitka Gear