huntforever 30-Dec-14
Fulldraw1972 30-Dec-14
IdyllwildArcher 30-Dec-14
Flatlander 31-Dec-14
westslope 31-Dec-14
Flatlander 31-Dec-14
Jason Scott 28-Jan-15
31-Oct-14
For those of you that backpack into your hunt country, do you have an "unusual" item that you carry that makes the hunt experience better, even though it adds "unneeded" weight?

2 years ago, I saw a hunter had carried a 6x8 lite tarp that he used like an awning - gave him protection from the elements when outside his small tent - I tried it and now love it. Another item I now carry is a small camera - always thought my phone camera was good enough. Both items are worth the weight/bulk.

Any items you carry that you others might think are not worth the weight? Items that make the hunt a little more enjoyable?

31-Oct-14
Glock

31-Oct-14
A Wide Mouth Gatorade Bottle!

31-Oct-14
non scented baby wipes!! Amazing how good it feels to freshen up every couple of days!!! Sometimes a Sea to Summit shower bag makes the trip.

31-Oct-14
I had to laugh...glad I'm not the only guy Jeff![Elkmtn]

I'm actually considering a dedicated collapsible bladder that is lighter and takes up less space

31-Oct-14
Rick, You are so right. I camped with a guy in UT this year with wipes. I'm adding wipes to my list. Nothing like wash off each night. The grime really builds up.

31-Oct-14
... good idea, just don't get your water bladder & the other one mixed up!!!

31-Oct-14
I took an Alite Mantis chair. The chair weighs about 1.8lbs, my friend was so jealous and I was so kicking back!

31-Oct-14
Full size DSLR camera, I like to take pictures.

31-Oct-14
Greg - do you carry a very lite tripod or similar. Now that I carry a small camera, I need figure out how to take a picture of myself with animal/scenery. As I solo hunt, all my pics are without me in it. Thanks, Jerry

31-Oct-14

greg simon's embedded Photo
greg simon's embedded Photo
I use a vortex summit ss tripod. I forget the exact weight but its light. I'm usually packing a spotting scope, and I also mount my binoculars to the tripod for glassing. I use a remote shutter release, maybe I'm vain but I like some photos with me in them. Hell, I'm the one humping all this gear I want some photos to show how tough I am!!!

31-Oct-14
Pepperoni.

Double zip locked and buried, it'll last a week np.

Also the 3 and 4 gal zip locks. Put your sleeping bag, pad, everything in em. Nothing of mine isn't in an appropriate size ziplock. Keeps stuff clean and more importantly, dry.

31-Oct-14
+1 on the pepperoni, I get the big sandwich slices. I take individual bags of fritos corn chips, awesome with some pepperoni!!!

31-Oct-14
Neutrogena Norwegian skin formula unscented. Concentrated stuff - only bring a half used-up tube. Amazing how chapped up your hands get after a week of packing. Put a dab on my hands every night at lights out and it really helps my digits get through a trip in decent shape.

31-Oct-14
I'm going to try a sleeping bag next year. Those couple nites I spent up on the mountain just sleeping on the ground and using a map for cover were not the best.

31-Oct-14
It used to be a book... but my Kindle app on my phone took care of that. Now I would say that a lightweight flask with a little bit of a night cap is going to make the trip next year.

31-Oct-14

Mule Power's Link
Bowcrazy.... see the link. Tiny lightweight little gadget that will serve you well.

31-Oct-14
My archery partner is my wife the 2 person sleeping bag is far from needed but it sure is nice!

01-Nov-14
TBM, good thing you were not navigating with a gps.

01-Nov-14
Just got back from Wyoming on an elk hunt and to say the least our trekking poles were a god send. Walking up the steep mountains in the morning and evenings with them then packing out the meat of a bull I killed was sooooo much better with the poles. My buddy convinced me to bring them and I couldn't honestly have been happier.

The baby wipes have been a staple for us for years. Huge lightweight plus.

01-Nov-14
Baby wipes are an essential, not a luxury. Five days of monkey butt isn't fun.

Trekking poles.

Good bourbon.

Flip flops.

Pocket bible and notepad.

01-Nov-14
Walmart has unscented wipes 80 pcs for about $3. An essential item for sure.

03-Nov-14
Extra food and drink mix. Good sleeping pad. Good tripod.

Sometimes to all but food. The difference from 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 per day is amazing. 5 pounds more for 10 days but I eat a lot better.

03-Nov-14
Bowcrazy - Google search for Ultrapod. They make a small model and a larger model. The smaller is OK for P&S cameras; the larger can work for DSLR's. They have an adjustable head, fold out into a tripod and also have a velcro strap to attach them to limbs or whatever else is available. I lenghten the strap using electrical velcro tie wraps.

Other backcountry equipment - a water filter. I have used a Katydin Hiklr model for many years and can recommend them.

>>>>--------->

04-Nov-14
I bag of baby wipes for monkey butt, and another batch in a ziplock with rubbing alcohol added. Those really freshen you up. Emergen-C packs. Lots of vitamins, minerals, and extra, buffered vitamin C to keep you healthy.

04-Nov-14
Unscented chapstick and a small tube of superglue in the first aid kit.

04-Nov-14
Chapstick, baby wipes, crocs, sun glasses, powdered drink mix to name a few.

04-Nov-14

wild1's Link
For a tripod, for a point-n shoot, I've been using the original Joby gorilla pod for a long time (well over ten years), and have yet to find anything better.

04-Nov-14
Guys - Concerning the unscented wipes. If you're going to use them (and TP as well), please bury, pack out or burn if you're around a fire. I came across a pile not 10yds off a hiking trail this fall. Nothing worse than having to bury another persons crap... Or see a bird flying with it's new piece of nesting material (seen that as well). The wipes don't break down near as fast as TP. So do the right thing...

It could have been hikers, but mostly hunting rigs at the trail head. Sounds like common sense, but leave no trace...

04-Nov-14

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
I will second Mule Power's nice to have. Very small and it works. See attached for an example. (I was taking pics of an upland bird hunt.)

Don't worry, it is a Delrin clamp and it won't mar the cam on my bow.

Unscented wipes are essential. First item after bow, arrows and sharp broadheads.

I have a small notebook that I keep a daily diary. Write in it about the days events. (Or sometimes prior to post lunch nap!) Nice to go back years later and see my notes. Amazed as to how many details I forget.

04-Nov-14
Solar driveway light. Cheap, $5 or less and light in weight. Nice to have around camp and gives just the right amount of light

04-Nov-14
I don't consider a walking stick optional. Speaking of nice camera pods, the gorillapod works really well on any terrain, and attaches quickly to just about anything (walking stick, bow, tree, rock, whatever)

04-Nov-14
You guys have awesome ideas!! If I incorporated all of them, I'd need a bigger back. So looking at your ideas and how I hunt. I am definitely adding wipes and either the clipshot or Gorilla camera holder. They both look useful and both the same price - tough decision.

Other Questions/comments: -Wide mouth Gatorade bottle. Elkmtn or Beendare -Is it for peeing or some other purpose? I just pee out the tent. Wanted clarification as I may be missing out on something. -Superglue - ORION - how are you using it? Scarey to think how I could really screw up and spill it.

-Notebook diary- I like the idea, but I kinda use pictures to tell the story and a map to make pertinent notes.ZBAREBOW- is it really worth the bulk? I think I will call it a journal (sounds more masculine than diary).

-I go back/forth on crocs and sunglasses. I have accidentally taken sunglasses, nice to have, but they get in the way when I constantly use binocs. For the weight, crocs are likely worth it. I will take them on scouting trip first.

-Skin lotion - good idea, but not a real prob for me, but you have me considering it.

-MRELITE - I saw your chair in bargin bin at Seirra Trading post on Saturday. I came ever so close to buying it. I can see why you like it.

Many of the other items I already use such as chapstick, water filter, etc. I bought walking sticks this year, but forgot them when I was luckily enough to shoot elk. I agree they help.

The driveway light - now that's a unique one and a shocker. Bulky, shines all night?? Would likely lead me to start carrying a whole set as would be good to mark a blood trail at night. Double sleeping bag - FUBAR, you are a very lucky man.

Any good ideas on eye contacts? Do you clean each night or just leave them in for duration of hunt?

Nearly everyone mentioned sticks, but nobody mentioned gaitors. I really think about these a lot, as I wear 6 inch hiking boots and am constantly getting seeds/sticks in my shoes. But can't decide if gaitors would help with that concern and would likey be noisy, not worth weight and bulk. Maybe for rain, but I have good rain pants. Any thoughts?

04-Nov-14
Gaiters are not a luxury item for me. If I go, they go.

04-Nov-14
an unmentioned item is the small lanterns (about 3 inches tall) really nice if more than one person so we aren't shining our head lamps in each others eyes.

04-Nov-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
After this season, I will never go without water proof gaiters again due to water migration into my boots from my pants.

I carry the gorilla pod as well.

04-Nov-14
I'm another advocate for gaiters now too! Get full-height ones, not the short type...

04-Nov-14
Gaitor Experts - do you wear them only for water protection or would they keep seeds/sticks out of my 6" boots? Don't they make a ton of noise?

04-Nov-14
Gaiters will keep trash out of your boots. I use kennetrek gaiters. They are quiet, soft shell. The Velcro strip on front is loud taking them off but not while wearing.

05-Nov-14
Chapstick/ coffee packs.

It could be snowing, hailing, wet, cold. Little coffee and its all good.

05-Nov-14
I also like a small tarp. Many uses plus its nice to get out of the tent on rainy days and have somewhere to hide under.

05-Nov-14
"Other Questions/comments: -Wide mouth Gatorade bottle. Elkmtn or Beendare -Is it for peeing or some other purpose? I just pee out the tent".

Bowcrazy...that's the point...I do not want to go outside the tent. I can unzip my bag partway, go to my knees, and take care of business.

For us "older folks"...comfort is key! ;^)

Also, I refuse to pack rain pants. I can't stand the way they make me sweat. Gaiters are my best friend!

05-Nov-14
Solution for contacts:

LASIK !!!

05-Nov-14
bowcrazy- My notebook is 4"x6" small spiral bound. It would fit into your shirt pocket. (It is the size of Elknuts playbook, which I also pack) I also stick a fine point sharpie in the spiral of notebook. Sharpie works better if paper is damp or writing upside down (Which I do laying in sleeping bag.) OK let's call it a hunt log book! (No keylock books allowed!)

As far as contacts, I wear daily wear. I do clean them every night. I pack a spare pair also, along with glasses. It sucks to clean them as my hands develop some perma dirt over time. (EX Get pine sap on your hands and it has to wear off). Sucks, but I need vision correction.

05-Nov-14
replace your tarp with tyvex wrap. lighter and works great.

When i hammock sleep I line my hammock with tyvex, put sleeping back in and have a wind free night against my back. Works great as a rainfly too.

05-Nov-14
I prefer the tarp to tyvex- it rips too easy.

I'll never understand all the baby wipes carriers, but then, I don't carry diapers either.

Seriously, I'm going to have to start another thread on how to wipe your ass properly.

05-Nov-14
Go ahead.

One baby wipe is so much more efficient than toilet paper. I carry them because they work better, no question about it.

05-Nov-14
I like low gaiters if I'm not expecting much rain. Way lighter, keeps debris out of the boots and burrs off the laces just fine. For seriously soggy conditions, full-length goretex are great. Don't buy fleece unless you know you won't be hunting where there are any burs. Had to throw away an almost new pair of fleece gaiters because it had some many thousands burs it was useless to pick them out (I know I tried).

Never carried baby wipes. God invented TP and bandanas, and TP burns too so no mess to pack out or leave for somebody else to clean up. Then again, I don't go hunting with babies.

05-Nov-14
Hard to believe some folks can feel so smart and superior based on what they wipe their butt with.

And no, I don't leave it for someone else to clean up.

05-Nov-14
Baby wipes....face, pits, crotch. Preferably in that order.

05-Nov-14
If you ever need to remove burs of clothing, try using a shop vac. Depending on material it may work. Cleaned a pair of pans once I thught I may need to throw away. Not really related to the backcountry topic.

06-Nov-14
JLS, I'm forever joking around. There's no air of superiority there, I'm just razzing these guys.

06-Nov-14
Idyl,

Sorry, I missed your sarcasm.

06-Nov-14
Ike - Half a dozen baby wipes equal a shower. Even for non-manscaped types.

Baby wipes, they're not just for azzes anymore.

I felt razzed, not inferior.

06-Nov-14
A tiny little Grundig digital am-fm radio with ear bud is a must-have for me. Helps pass the time while glassing and sitting waiting for something to happen, I can get weather updates, listen to ball games, rock out at night if I want. I mostly solo hunt and camp anymore, in places where I don't have cell service for weather reports, etc.., so it's my "company" and connection to the outside world.

Another thing I won't ever be without is my SPOT. Again, adventuring solo, it provides a huge amount of safety and security and lets the wife know I haven't been eaten by a bear. Yet.

A good friend died during elk season this year. Using the SPOT link to the aerial map, my wife was able to find my camp and bring me the bad news so I could attend the funeral.

And yeah, Ike, I'm about to deploy a few baby wipes right now out here on the prairie! Oh man, is that going to feel good!!

07-Nov-14
For early season use against sticks and seeds getting in your boots, I recommend the REI Desert Gaiters. If you can't find them, look for something similar. They are quiet and light. Not made for snow or rain. They also keep my pants legs from rising above my boots when I sit, which is why I think they help contain human scent.

Baby wipes: use three per day each morning before hunting, one for upper body, one for face/ears/hair and then pits, one for lower body except for azz, feet last, then when done with that, use all three used ones to get the funk out of your azz crack. Please pack them out; they are synthetic, not cotton, and will not biodegrade.

My weighty luxury item is non-dehydrated food. I pack in a whole pizza, each slice in it's own sandwich bag. They keep 4 days easy in the mountains. Also: blocks of cheese with crackers, or a small jar of peanut butter, or for the first couple of dinners, california rolls (sushi) or a burrito. Worth the extra 5 pounds to me.

07-Nov-14
I've done the baby wipes but prefer a wad of quality paper towels taken off the roll. They can serve for wiping to cleaning. I just take a small bottle of concentrated soap to go with them. I might wash up with some one day and hang on a branch to dry out to be used for a "dirtier job" the next day.

07-Nov-14
The last 3-4 years we've been taking a satellite phone to check in periodically. Provides a little peace of mind. Also, I use gaitors every morning until 10 or 11 because of the morning dew/wet conditions. Without them my legs/feet from the knee down are soaked!!

10-Nov-14
Somebody said flipflops. I second that.

10-Nov-14
I've never considered gaitor's. I learned something here. God Bless

10-Nov-14
For gaiters with an awesome warranty try Outdoor research. The model to go with is M-Crocodiles.

I don't think there's another brand out there that even has a warranty.

Gaiters serve multiple purposes. You can zip through a creek without getting your pants wet. In snow they keep you pants dry as well. If you wear pricey clothing like Sitka or Kuiu they are in insurance policy against tearing them up. If your pants are a bit light and it get's borderline cold out they serve as another layer. I've been a fan of gaiters for years.

10-Nov-14
If water is plentiful try the MRS Water purification tablets. No bad taste and way lighter and less bulky than a pump. I also bring energy [ caffeine ] drink mixes, seven days without a Coke is Hell! A quality 2" or better air pad is a must for me. A very small Gerber pocket knife, 2" blade and probably only weighs an ounce or two. It will stay sharp enough to get through an elk then sharpen again at home.[ no unessential weight or space in my pack].Don't generally have cell service so an Ipod Nano and or a small paperback usually makes the cut on the longer stays.

11-Nov-14
msr pocket rocket some tea coffee and soup

11-Nov-14
All -continued great insight. So glad I asked the question.

-You have me sold on low rise gaiters, just need to keep out debris on early season hunts. Don't need tall ones, as don't hunt in deep snow. I would imagine tall ones get hot in early season. I am researching the brands suggested.

-Wipes- Wow, elk season must be over as this topic is nonstop. Will definitely pack wipes.. . and start wiping process at face and move downward - not the other way!

-Orionsbrother - still wondering what you do with super glue. I am missing something.

Thanks to all for great advice/comments.

11-Nov-14
Super glue in place of stitches.....yes, really.

11-Nov-14
++ on gaiters. They're a must for me, as much for rain and wet vegetation than snow.

++ on super glue. My survival kit is with me everywhere, even on afternoon scouting and fishing hikes, and it contains quick clot and super glue as critical first aid items. Haven't needed the quick clot yet, thankfully, but super glue has closed a number of cuts.

12-Nov-14
Like Nick and Lou said, super glue replaces needle and thread if you cut yourself and it helps make those annoying splits in your fingers less annoying.

28-Dec-14
I took the advice of many and asked for gators for Christmas. Received OR low rise gators and wore them in the snow - they are definitely a must have item.

I will admit, I was skeptical and questioned if I would indeed carry them in my pack. But after testing them, they exceeded my expectations. Gators are light, quiet, and most important- keep snow and debris out of my low hikers.

Thanks to all for being so convincing.

28-Dec-14
Don't worry about carrying them in your pack, they should be on your feet :)

Gaiters are pretty dang nice.

28-Dec-14
Good call on the superglue and quick clot Jaq, I even carry it deer hunting. You don't have to be to hell and gone in the wilds to have an accident !

29-Dec-14
A small tube of Vaseline meant for your lips. It not only works for lips. You can use it for a dry nose that starts bleeding. Put it on dry hands to keep them from getting sore or splitting. If you have ever developed a serious rash in your crotch or crack it will save your hunt. It also works on minor scrapes and cuts.

29-Dec-14
It also works as fire starter.

29-Dec-14
I pack all my food and stove, etc in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. The bucket fits in my pack. It keeps stuff dry, keeps critters out of your food. Can easily be hoisted up in a tree. GGreat to sit on. Can be used to carry water, wash yourself, and clothes if necessary. Yes it is some extra weight but I feel it's worth it. My partner also carries a sea to summit pocket shower. We both carry a wing type shelters.

29-Dec-14
Flatlander - What is the advantage of the Pocket Shower versus just using a washcloth while standing beside the water source (creek). You have to go a water source to fill the shower, why not just wash off while there? Just curious, thanks.

29-Dec-14
Chapstick, Burts Bees lotion for my knuckles-seems like they always dry out a crack after a few days in the mts, Pocket Rocket stove for making coffee while glassing, gaiters, sunglasses

29-Dec-14
A good sleeping pad, crocs, shorts, sprare socks, more food. A good tripod.

30-Dec-14
Yep, gotta have the crocs. As for the small shower. No real advantage. It does somewhat heat the water if you leave it in the sun all day, but water could be heated on my stove. It does boost your spirts. Some guys like pepperoni, I like a shower.

30-Dec-14
I always add 1/4 cup of instant rice to my Mountain House dinners. Add an extra 2oz of water. Definitely more filling and gives some extra calories. Cashews are also really good. Protein and fat with a high calorie to weight ratio. I like to have at least 2500 calories/day. I get grumpy if I'm hungry! At least that is what my wife tells me.

30-Dec-14
My unusual item is my kindle fire HD. I believe its 10 Oz's. A movie uses between 12 to 15% of the battery depending on how long the movie is. It has a decent camera as well.

30-Dec-14
Flatlander, the 5 gal bucket in the pack is a great idea. I use a big internal frame pack and it will fit, what a handy thing to have.

Instead of super glue, I keep a disposable skin stapler. The 25 staple version I carry will quickly repair over a foot of wound and stop bleeding that super glue will not. It's sterile in its package and only weighs a couple ounces.

I once used it in a blizzard to repair a tent door that tore at the zipper seam. I'm confident that that stapler saved our lives that night. Use a few? Grab another.

If you need one, just send Thorton a PM and he'll grab you one.

31-Dec-14
I love my bucket! Where do you get the skin stapler? Don't know Thorton.

31-Dec-14
A 5 gallon bucket in your backpack?? Really! Im not knocking you at all-if it works for you, thats awesome-but.....wow.

31-Dec-14
Wow what?

28-Jan-15
You can dehydrate the baby wipes to save weight. Rehydrate each one as you use them and the soap is still there.

• Sitka Gear