astrovan2487 01-Nov-14
bowcrazy 01-Nov-14
Swamp hunter 03-Nov-14
Conne River 04-Nov-14
Charlie Rehor 04-Nov-14
BerksArcher 06-Nov-14
mixed bag 07-Nov-14
31-Oct-14
I just got back from a very disappointing moose hunt in Newfoundland, was supposed to be a bow hunt but I never even got an opportunity at one. The area was over hunted and the moose were spooked bad. I really want to go back but I can't decide on an outfitter. I definitely want it to be a fly in hunt and absolutely bow only. Any info/experiences/outfitter recommendations are greatly appreciated, please bow only. Also for those that have been on an archery hunt in Newfoundland which do you think is a better time to go, for the rut or early archery only season? Thanks for the help!

31-Oct-14
I got a moose hunting with Conne River Outfitters (Bowsite sponsor). They have several camps and I hunted in the bow-only Dolland Pond camp. It's fly-in and I was very satisfied. As you apparently found out, if you hunt in a "general" camp with the bow the gunners have them pretty well worked over by time you get there. In this camp you don't have to be concerned about the time of the year since it's bow-only so hunting the rut would be great. Go to their web site and check them out. My experience is that when a guy goes with the intent of getting one with the bow, but takes either a rifle or muzzle-loader along, if he doesn't score quickly the bow is abandoned. I only take my bow.

31-Oct-14
I know a lot of outfitters up there but none that are bow only. I doubt there is a single archery only outfit on the island. You don't need to go with a bow only to have a great bowhunt. You need an outfitter who gets bowhunting and they are many. Check out moose valley outfitters

01-Nov-14
I spoke with Conne River Outfitters, they are on my list of a few that I've narrowed down but they are the most expensive. Efford's and White Feather Lodge are looking like good possibilities too. Definitely an impressive outfit. I'm sure there aren't any bow only outfitters but what I'm looking for is one that offer's bow only camps that are true bow only camps (not bow only until the rifle hunters have a hard week then send the rifle hunters over to hunt the bow camp type of deal) I won't spend that kind of money again on a bow hunt that has rifle hunters in the same camp.

01-Nov-14
Three of us were successful the first week of Sept. with Mountaintop Outfitters/Art Ryan, owner.

I bought an archery hunt at an auction last year for my State bowhunters assoc. My two brothers purchased hunts to go with me. The outfitter had never had bowhunters, but have nearly 100% success with 125 rifle tags each year. We went the opening week of bow season (firsts week of Sept) when we knew there would be no rifle hunters as rifle didn't start until 2 wks later.

We each had our own guide. It was not a fly in hunt, but it was very remote. Two of us filled the first morning and the third filled on 4th morning. I have no idea how many moose we saw, but there were plenty. Best of all, all the moose were relaxed as they had not been hunted yet.

I believe you should give Conne River first chance as they are sponsors. But if you don't go with them, try Mountaintop. I can give you the full scoop by PM if interested. In my opinion, you are basically guaranteed a moose, there were that many.

03-Nov-14
I went with efford's hunting adventures for caribou with bow in hand fly in camp very happy with camp and the results,shot a nice stag at 40 yards.

04-Nov-14
Dollands Pond camp is a bow only camp with limited tags, we do have other camps whereby the client can hunt with a weapon of choice.

04-Nov-14

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Here is a picture from the lodge at Dollands Pond. I have hunted Woodys there four times and it is a gorgeous fly-in bow only camp! Dave at Conne River is an excellent pilot and does a great job running this operation.

PM "Newfiarcher" as he has been there many times and killed some great moose. Good luck! C

06-Nov-14
I hunted with Effords Hunting Adventures last year and Bob is a man of his word and will provide a great fly in hunt. Bow hunting will be tough and you better be in shape. He will put you on the moose. I hunted Harold's pond.

07-Nov-14
sounds like Conne river would be the obvious choice if you want unpressured bulls in bow only environment.To me, that would be worth the extra $$.It would cost a lot more to make the same mistake twice

• Sitka Gear