Bullhound 06-Nov-14
Bowfreak 06-Nov-14
Genesis 06-Nov-14
TurkeyBowMaster 06-Nov-14
sundowner 06-Nov-14
ART338 25-Nov-14
05-Nov-14
Forewarning, this is a rant.

I decided to go to my local " Pro Shop" to get a little advice and a last minute tweak on my bows before taking off to Illinois this weekend.

I just replaced both cables and strings on the bows. Mind you, the replacements are quality strings and cables. The company backed the warranty on one set because I was getting excessive stretch and peep rotation.

The visit consisted of getting the bow pressed and getting a twist or 2 for correct rotation. I watched the tech use needle nose pliers and spin the d loop. Then he says" as long as the peep comes around, your good to go" Not the right answer!

I just have to buy a press, that is the right answer. There is a wealth of info on YouTube and the Internet to do maintenance. I can only imagine how many guys get frustrated with their equipment when it's not set up correctly.

Lastly, I went to a different shop today and had both bows tweaked by a pro shooter. While it took some time, both bows are dead on and in spec. I call it a piece of mind and we'll worth the tip I gave him.

05-Nov-14
Peace of mind yes....Will both kill...absolutely.

05-Nov-14
Be glad you have one nearby...

I am getting a bowpress this winter... enough with not trusting the guys around here doing it part time with no experience.

06-Nov-14
Bought an ez green bowpress from lastchance archery about a year and a half ago, best archery related purchase I've made in 27 years!!! Now I replace all my buddies strings and tune there bows, I have learned so much since, like if you wan't the most tuneable bow get a bow with dual static yokes and yoke tune to achieve perfect arrow flight!

06-Nov-14
Until you have experienced the difference between an average shop and an above average shop first hand, you just can't appreciate it.

06-Nov-14
Good advice above, I will get a press as well.

The EZ seems to be a no brainer.

The second shop was amazing and the tech knows bows, that's for sure, glad I met him because I'm sure questions will come up.

06-Nov-14
In my opinion that is not a rant, but more of an accurate observation.

06-Nov-14
let me venture a guess....Cabelas?

06-Nov-14
IMHO every archer who is even remotely serious about his sport should own a press.

06-Nov-14
I am pickier about finding a good bow tech than I am about a doctor. There is a huge difference between good ones and bad ones and there are way more bad ones than good ones.

06-Nov-14
TREESTANDWOLF,

do yourself a big favor and follow through with getting yourself a press. make a draw board (it's easy), get scales, and take care of your own tuning and bow breakdowns. I've been doing all of my own work for years, do complete breakdowns for friends, and enjoy the heck out of it. If you enjoy learning, you will be amazed at the things you will see when you start tearing down bows, and putting them back together, and everything in between.

06-Nov-14
I can't remember when I didn't work on my own bows. I am particular about my equipment and don't want other people touching my bows. Get a press and you won't be sorry.

06-Nov-14
I just use my Bowmaster cable press with no issues

06-Nov-14
I would personally rather have a shooter than a press. I could have some fun with a shooter.

06-Nov-14
I use a Bowmaster too.

Nobody turns screws nor ties knots on my bows but me. Ever!

25-Nov-14
Be thankful VARY VARY thankful you have a proshop staffed with competent help > I have only one proshop I am aware of anywhere near my home, and that one has employees who do to your bow what they think is best despite your clearly expressed wishes otherwise, and get upset when you call them out on doing less than craftsman like work.

My last trip asked the pro to install a new kind of peep that I liked as it worked well with the fact I wear glasses, he proceeded install the peep without checking it first lined up with my eye at full draw, then I guess as pay back for calling him out on it did a poor job of serving it in place.

Went home pulled youtube and put my bow in my vice and learned to install my own peep. Just been to lazy to make my own press as I have access to all I need to make a good one of my own.

Had to learn how to all my own adjustments and repairs, guess in the long run it's for the better.

• Sitka Gear