Rayzor 26-Nov-14
nutritionist 26-Nov-14
Knife2sharp 27-Nov-14
Tpb 28-Nov-14
tadpole 28-Nov-14
jmb 29-Nov-14
jmb 29-Nov-14
21-Nov-14
I planted a plot of forage radish, the deer have browsed all of the tops down pretty well by now and have been eating the radish a bit. question is, as things are frozen up pretty well will they dig up all of the radish that is still in the ground? does it "sweeten" up with freezing? thanks!

21-Nov-14
Good to hear that the deer have eaten the tops..sometimes it can take a couple of years to "learn" to eat them." Yes, the bulbs sweeten as their sugar crystalizes with them being frozen. As long as you have plenty left in your plot...your action should only get better.

Keep us posted!

Mark

21-Nov-14
Great to hear! I do have quite a bit left, looking forward to them getting into the rest! They seemed to love those tops too.

21-Nov-14
whats a forage type radish

21-Nov-14
daikon radishes are basically forage radish, tillage radish, and whatever one wants to call their cover crop radish. You can count the number of growers of daikon radish on your hands and as Michigan and Minnesota studies show, they are all basically the same...cause well, they are all basically the same.

Deer love radish and i get reports on occasion of huge numbers of deer herding up to consume them. The farmers who plant radish as a cover crop that don't necessary do it to attract deer, will have deer there. I already got a report in Wisconsin of a client who now has 100 deer coming into his radish/berseem clover field. Deer in farm country will move from a mile or two to attack the cover crops about this time of year through the middle of January.

21-Nov-14
The planting of tillage radish is a big deal here in Michigan.

Almost every farmer will drill them have harvesting wheat.

21-Nov-14
On the main ground I hunt the farmer has started aerial seeding cover crops into standing beans. This fall the only concentration of deer I have been seeing on the fields are on the bean stubble with cover crops. Last Saturday night as it started to snow I had 14 doe and fawns being run around by 5 different bucks on a 12 acre field, nothing on the corn next to it.

22-Nov-14
Jeff, what kind of cover crop was planted in the picked beans?

Mark

22-Nov-14
Mark, I will check with him when I see him at lunch today. In the past he has went with Daikon radish and winter peas, but I know that field didn't have winter peas.

22-Nov-14

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
City, I had the same question when I came across these last month. Guys on this site helped me determine they were daikon radish.

22-Nov-14
For some reason the image won't seem to attach. Will provide a link in a minute....

22-Nov-14

SteveB's Link

22-Nov-14

Charlie Rehor's MOBILE embedded Photo

Late season is the ticket!

22-Nov-14

I can see the deer piling into the food plot right now! Can't wait for January:)

22-Nov-14
Nice, mine look the same except with all the greens gone! I planted with a mix of soybeans and the radish definitely dominated the plot.

24-Nov-14
http://mccc.msu.edu/meetings/2011/Presentations/Durling_Gieske_Ackroyd_2011_MCCC.pdf

check out page 18 in the trial

25-Nov-14

SmoothieJonez's MOBILE embedded Photo
SmoothieJonez's MOBILE embedded Photo

Checked out 12acre food plot of diakon radish in northern CConnecticut Monday. I noticed a few areas of the field that had tons of tracks and radish pulled up and eaten. Can't believe size of some of the radishes.

25-Nov-14
Smoothie, You got some Giants there! Nice!

Mark

26-Nov-14
Nice! I have a few big ones like them where I thinned. The others are a bit too crowded and not as big. They are good eating too. I keep robbing my plots. Need some sashimi to go with them.

26-Nov-14

nutritionist's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
nutritionist's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Here is the radish held up by someone who planted an experimental buffet of cover crops.

27-Nov-14
For us in the North, when is the ideal time to plant them?

28-Nov-14
I planted around 9/1 worked out well, I might try a week or so earlier next year.

28-Nov-14
How much sun does the forage radish need? I would like to over seed my pumpkin patch with radish and turnips.

29-Nov-14

jmb's MOBILE embedded Photo

This plot was planted mid July. Pic was taken Aug 30

29-Nov-14

Same plot as pic above. Pic taken today Nov 29.

• Sitka Gear