Keef 23-Nov-14
drycreek 23-Nov-14
zipper 23-Nov-14
Elk Hollow 23-Nov-14
Keef 23-Nov-14
Keef 24-Nov-14
r-man 25-Nov-14
23-Nov-14
We're making changes for next year and I would like your thoughts. I have 166 acres, 30 acres is open the rest is hard woods with lots of oaks. We're doing TSI on 39 acres through a state program this winter.

In the front of the farm, we're changing from corn to native grasses and forbes (17 acres). I'm doing it to reduce erosion that runs off into my pond.

Behind this piece is 3 acres that I will plant in something next year. Don't know what yet.

Next is a road that leads further into the farm. I've planted oats and clover in it this fall.

The road leads to a 2 acre Ladino clover field. That will stay as is.

Further back in the woods is a 1 acre field that we just cleared this year. I planted oats and rye in it for this fall.

My questions - what would you plant in the front 3 acres, which is on a ridge top. (I'd prefer an annual)?

Also what would you plant in the last 1 acre which is on a hilltop? I'd like a perennial since it's hard to get to if we have a rainy spring.

Additional info, I put 3 tons of lime on all of the acreage this summer and just sent soil samples in to the local seed company for testing. Don't know what the soil tests.

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

23-Nov-14

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Roundup Ready Eagle soybeans !

23-Nov-14
I have done TSI work on my timber several years ago. It was a great investment in quality deer habitat. I would check with a forester and perhaps do a select timber harvest in conjunction with TSI. Why not earn some money while improving your timber? Good luck!

23-Nov-14
Have you talked to your Private Land Conservationist? I also have acreage in Missouri and I'm planning to see my PLC in December hoping he can give some recommendations on attracting deer.

23-Nov-14
Yes I have worked closely with my PLC. Nice guy and very helpful. Missouri is very supportive of efforts to improve habitat.

The woods we're doing TSI on aren't really worth trying to sell for timber. The state program is paying to have the work done.

I planted Eagle Seed soybeans this year on the 3 acres. Maybe it was due to all of the farming in this area and the availability of food everywhere but the beans weren't hit very hard by the deer. I've used Eagle before, it's a great product I just want to try something new.

24-Nov-14
Randy I think I'll do some fruit trees, maybe persimmons. I planted 12 Chestnut trees last year and they are doing well.

The 17 acres that was corn is being put into an EQIP program with the Feds. It involves big and small bluestem and forbes.

You would be lynched around here if you planted cedars. I have a few which I'll leave and I'm glad I don't have a lot of them. We have mostly oaks with some shagbark hickory trees. I'm sure the hickories will be hit hard with the TSI we're doing. It's a state program we signed up for and they're paying for it.

25-Nov-14
build a briar patch for bedding, blackberrys or rasberry, with haslenut boarder, pears and apples are a great addition and deer will go right up to my house for them pears.

• Sitka Gear