greenmountain 27-Nov-14
idacurt 27-Nov-14
Z Barebow 27-Nov-14
Bou'bound 27-Nov-14
Jack Harris 28-Nov-14
Jack Harris 12-Dec-14
CAS_HNTR 12-Dec-14
23-Nov-14
Hi. My name is Jack, and I have been paying pro shops to build and fletch my arrows for 30 years. Whenever an arrow needs new fletching, I drop it off. I want to take control of this one simple aspect of my life... I will never shoot mechanical heads, fixed blade forever, and I am only interested in a jig that will get me adequate helical on feathers and vanes, including but not limited to blazers. Right now I am shooting both 4" feathers and blazers, depending on the weather. I shoot VPA heads, probably always will. I have a lot of Cabelas points built up to spend, so they sell Arizona, Bohning, and I think they have the Bitzenberger.

I shoot a right handed bow... Are the jigs specific to right or left helical? I also shoot a QAD ultra drop away, so I don't think left or right really makes much difference..

Oh and I am also slowly getting into trad with my recurve, and that shoots off the shelf (again right handed)...

So - your advice on the best jig for me and the accessories would be most appreciated..

I am pretty much a "keep it simple stupid" kind of guy I am not looking to reinvent the wheel here, but would also be open to some "next level thinking" as well...

Thanks,

Jack

23-Nov-14
Blitz with helical clamp......done

23-Nov-14
I think bitzenburgers are the best jig and clamp combo. compare them to others and you will see.

23-Nov-14
The same as the two guys above me.. eD

23-Nov-14
Get the Zenith upgrade kit to go with the Bitz.

23-Nov-14
What about left or right? Thanks

23-Nov-14
Jack,

Bitzenburger is the way to go. You can buy the jigs for Left Hand, Right Hand or Straight fletching. You can fletch from 2"-5" on a Bitz. It will last you a lifetime.

23-Nov-14
Bitz with a right helical clamp will fletch everything you mentioned. Had mine for years and it's bulletproof.

23-Nov-14
Thanks everyone the choice seems obvious. So base on fact I shoot 3 blade fixed and trad and compound should I get right or left helical?

23-Nov-14
Get right helical. If for no other reason than RH feathers are more readily available.

One Bitz jig will handle either RH, LH, or a straight clamp. The Zenith upgrade is a more precise nock receiver which offers more repeatable and exact 120 degree fletch orientation, especially when using G-Nocks or similar skinny nocks. I'm quite sure your local guy does not have a Zenith on his jig. One of those things that is nice to have, but not imperative.

23-Nov-14
I love my Bitz but I LOVE my Arizona EZ Fletch a tad more...

23-Nov-14
If you only get one, get a Bitz. The Arizona mini is hard to beat for the short vanes, though.

23-Nov-14
Get the bitz with right helical, adjust it for maximum vane adhesion and forget it. I have a right and left myself so I can use either wing feathers, comes in handy when you short a turkey and have somebody grind the feathers for you. I set mine when I bought them and have fletched everything from small diameter arrows to fat 3d shafts and made no adjustments. Only time it matters if it's left or right wing is if your shooting single bevel broadheads. Fletch feathers and vanes too. Next you need to buy yourself an arrow saw, I recommend the WESTON saw with the vacuum attachment! Good luck bro, you will like it!

24-Nov-14
Bitzenburger with right helical. With screw in stuff, right helical always keeps threads tight.

24-Nov-14
Jack - Back in the mid 80's I got myself a Bitzenburger with a right wing and left wing helical clamps. I've been using it since with no complaints.

24-Nov-14
Bitz since 2001.

24-Nov-14
Bitz with right helical clamp. All good.

24-Nov-14

24-Nov-14

24-Nov-14
I use the Blitz as well, right helical. Try a few arrows 4 fletched when ya get it

24-Nov-14
Bitz and westin saw it will be! Thanks everyone. Looking forward to a rainy day arrow building session

24-Nov-14
Guys, what is the difference between left and right helical. I understand it depends upon what wing the feathers come from but is there a preferred twist for right or left hand shooters. I ask because I shoot lefty.

24-Nov-14
Right helical will not loosen up your points like left will. Left helical feathers are usually more difficult to find than right. Not really any difference other than that. Jack, get yourself a G5 arrow squaring tool while you're at it. I use mine to square up the carbon ( cut from both ends, unless you use Maxima Reds ) then use the aluminum side to square up inserts . Really helps broadheads to spin true. Have fun!

24-Nov-14
If you want to spend a lot more money than necessary and have lots of time to spend fletching arrows, then by all means, get a Bitz. You may need to if you want to vary your fletching style. But, if you want a fool-proof, quick, consistent jig with 0 set up time, for 3 fletch arrows get the EZ Fletch. You can buy a mini and standard length and still spend less than the Bitz, and fletch 3 times more quickly.

24-Nov-14
I vote for a Jo Jan multifletcher (are they still made). Can do 6 shafts at a time. Great asset when doing feathers as you have to keep the clamp in place until the glue dries. A Blitz is a great device, but who can afford 6 of them?

A right helical spins the arrow clockwise, so in theory it helps keeo your screw on points tight. 15 years ago, I bought a Jo Jan multifletcher on sale wth a left helical. I have never had any issue with points coming loose.

I no longer use it as I shoot Blazers with the shrink fletch. Unless I go back to my Black Widow recurve, I'm not fletching again! :)

>>>>-------->

24-Nov-14
Every archery shop I have been where they build custom arrows has a turntable setup with a dozen or more Bitz fletching jigs mounted on it. Would a professional use less than the best tools?

24-Nov-14
Cabela's price for Bitz jig - $95.99, plus clamp - $39.99 = $135.98 X 12 = $1631.76. Do you really need a "professional" set up? Even if you only buy 3 (equal in time to fletching 3 arrows with one EZ fletch) that's a $408 investment, as compared to $50 for an EZ fletch. Plus the EZ Fletch mini will put more helical on a small diameter shaft than a Bitz can do. The EZ fletch also takes up less space in storage and while in use (as opposed to a fletching layout that's the size of a kitchen table). Since it's designed for only a set amount or helical, it always lays the base of the vanes flat on the shaft. Something a clamp type jig can also only do at one set amount of offset or helical, after futzing with it for a while. If what you want is to 3 fletch arrows consistently, no jig is superior to the EZ Fletch. It simply does a perfect job of doing what it is designed to do.

24-Nov-14
You only need one Bitz. They dont wear out and used ones are on Craigslist for less than $50. So owning the best isn't all that $ bad! :-)

24-Nov-14

24-Nov-14

24-Nov-14
So if I get this correctly- the easy fletch can do one arrow all three vanes at a time but the Bitz can only do one arrow one vane at a time? Can the easy fletch do 4" right helical feathers with ease?

24-Nov-14
Ziek

the clamp is included for $95.99

and if you order it from bowhunters superstore.com it's under $75.

I've got 2 and they are worth what it costs!!

24-Nov-14
For Blazers, I use the EZ fletch mini. It puts more helical on FMJ shafts but only takes up to 2 1/4" vanes. For all standard length vanes, you will need the standard length right (or left) helical jig. You can also use it for Blazers, but it won't put on as much helical.

The amount of helical possible is not only determined by the the clamp, but by the amount of flex in the vane as it spirals around the shaft. Feathers are more forgiving. This is also why a clamp type jig really isn't as versatile as claimed. There is no way to keep the vane base flat on the arrow shaft surface for multiple combinations of helical and shaft diameters. To be adjusted properly, full, flat contact with the shaft is critical for good vane adhesion. That is what determines how much helical can be applied by a clamp. If you put too much or too little offset/helical for the shaft diameter, either the center or ends of the vane will not be in full contact. The EZ Fletch is designed to keep the base of the vane flat on the shaft for the amount of helical designed, and why they have two different jigs for full length vanes - one for thin shafts and one for larger diameter.

Unless you need to fletch something other than 3 fletch, the EZ Fletch is the best jig on the market.

By the way, my progression through fletching jigs was the JoJan, then a Bitz., until I tried the EZ Fletch. Been using them for years with perfect results.

24-Nov-14
If you didn't have the feather requirement, I'd vote for the Bohning Helix. It qualifies in the "Simple" category as it worked pretty much right out of the box for me, but it will not do anything over 2"

I've been using mine for 3 years now with no problems.

24-Nov-14
Sundowner - yes, the Blitz does one arrow, one vane/feather at a time. Doing helical, either vane or feather, requires that the glue be almost dry (feathers more so than vanes) otherwise the vane/feather creeps on the shaft straightening itself somewhat....

>>>>-------->

24-Nov-14
Been using the JoJan for 20 years to do 6 arrows at a time with no complaints...

24-Nov-14
Like I said earlier, the EZ Mini is great for Blazer type vanes. I bought the full length EZ before the Bitz and was not happy at all with small amount of helical. Also, CA glue on the plastic clamps of the EZ is a major pain. I am much happier with the Bitz for the longer vanes and feathers.

24-Nov-14
Don't be afraid to try fletch tape by Bohning. There is no wait time for the glue to dry. Slap the clamp on the jig, make sure it is seated, take off the clamp and move on to the next one.

24-Nov-14
So I am gleaning that the easy fletch is best for Blazers but not for longer vanes in feathers. The Bitz is better (albeit slower) on the longer fletch and can also do full helical on Blazers?

24-Nov-14
I am also liking the reviews on the JoJan mono fletch. Says I can easily do a dozen in 45 minutes. Anyone have experience with Blazers and feathers on this?

24-Nov-14
If you pay 95$ for a Bitz, it's waaaay too much. JACK YOU HAVE A PM.

24-Nov-14
Getting a good helical on blazers with a bitz can be tough. IMO the best way to do that is set the vanes a good deal forward nearer the middle of the clamp. Or you can do a straight clamp and set an offset.... but for me that doesn't put enough spin on them.

az ez is great for the 2" vanes. Good tool. I own 3 bitzes and still bought and use that tool for 2" vanes.

LH fletching is mostly for use in the southern hemisphere.... like how toilets spin backwards down there....

OK, ok.... only for left wing feathers. No other reason. Years ago I could get left on sale more often so used to fletch some that way. You'd think there would be just as many left wing feather as right off the birds. Unless like size, growth rate and meat they've started breeding turkeys to have two right wings.....

They were using left wing feathers long before threaded broadheads of course, but it makes sense the possibility of loosening heads at impact, in theory anyway. (gotta have a theory or it's just an opinion.....)

24-Nov-14
Bitz all the way!

24-Nov-14
I have one of those round turntables with Bitz jigs on it. The oldest jigs are 20 years old. The newest ones are 8 years old. They will last another 20 years each.

My first AZ EZ fletch full size lasted me less than a year, mostly because I got tired of it not aligning all three exactly where I wanted them to be without smearing CA glue all over, ... so I smashed it with a hammer .

I do have a AZ Mini that I use for max helical on Blazers. It is much easier to use than the full size one for sure. I still use my Bitz for most jobs though. You will get twice as much helical out of the AZ EZ Mini than you will out of the Bitz with your Blazers.

My advise would be to buy both. :)

24-Nov-14
If you want a Bitz but concerned about cost, take a look at the Grayling fletching jig.

It's made of glass-filled plastic instead of aluminum, and works just as well as a Bitz IMO, just might not be as durable although I've never seen one worn out. The Grayling costs about $40 I think.

24-Nov-14

24-Nov-14
Information overload! Maybe I get the Bitz or the JoJan so I am good with feathers, and just go with longer vanes instead of Blazers to get max helical? Surely there is life after Blazers anyway? The JoJan got good reviews. Not concerned so much about cost just wanted one jig that can do it all. A dozen in an hour turnaround time is fine. I am probably using cabelas because I have $160 in bonus points Thanks again for all the info.

24-Nov-14
I'm with Nick on this one. Been a Bitz fan for twenty years, but LOVE the AZ Mini for short vanes like the Blazer.

Buy'em both! Use the Mini for the Blazers and the Bitz for everything else. Works for me...

24-Nov-14
I love to know how you wear out a Bitzenburger. I think they could last many lifetimes.

24-Nov-14
If Blazers are you hang up. ......dump them them for AAE MaxHunters and then buy the blitz....then you will have better vanes and better jig. DONE!

24-Nov-14
Get the bitz, you can pass it down to your grand kids, seen a guy on another thread had the same one so long, he only paid twenty dollars for it new!

24-Nov-14
The Bitz has a strong magnet that holds the clamp in place while the glue dries. The Jo Jan needs human assistance to press down on it while the glue dries, otherwise you are depending on the weight of the clamp itself and gravity.

Not trying to sway your decision, just giving info.

I have a six place Jo Jan as well in my arrow shop. Haven't used it for anything other than a drying rack for years.

25-Nov-14
I am also thinking about trying the 2"" Rayzr feathers and just using the waterproof powder and be done with plastic. I switched back to feathers this year and carried them along with a few Blazers. When it wasn't wet I had a feather nocked and shot all 3 nice bucks with them. Does anyone have good fixed blade performance experience using the Rayzr 2" feathers? And if so - will the Bitz put a good helical on them? Since the are nearly as short as the Blazers I am thinking the AZ mini might be better?

25-Nov-14
Dad bought his Bitz back in the 70's. He got me one for Christmas back in the middle 90's. (He got tired of me having his every time he went to use it!!!!) We have all the clamps so we can fletch anything.

I've fletched feathers and vanes, 2" to 5" on wood, aluminum and carbon. I've fletched helical, straight and offset. Three fletch and four fletch.

The Bitz can do it all and it will do it all well!!!

With the adjustment on the Bitz with a helical clamp, you can fletch the standard clamp twist or you can add a little offset to it to get even more twist.

My current arrows are FMJ's fletched with 4" left hand feathers fletched with the straight jig with a right hand offset. Shop only had left hand in the feathers I wanted and I will only fletch a right hand twist so tips will stay tight. If you've never fletched a left hand feather with a right hand helical, then you've never experienced frustration!!!! Only did it once!

You will never regret buying a Bitz! It can handle anything you throw at it.

25-Nov-14
It is simple....if you shoot Blazer type vanes NOTHING beats the AZ EZ Mini.

If you shoot anything else NOTHING beats the Bitz.

25-Nov-14

CurveBow's Link
Again, the Jo Jan multifletcher. Do 6 shafts at a time, can get full helical clamps. I also have a Jo Jan single fletching jig. Stopped using that when I got the Multifletch, about 15 years ago. At $109 retail, about the same price as a Blitz (I'm not knocking the Blitz, but I would never want to work that slow). Can do feathers, long vanes, Blazers (I use the shrink on Blazers and do not plan to buy another tube of glue... Ever! :) LOL )

Link attached.

>>>>-------->

25-Nov-14
I've never had to press down on the JoJan clamps while the glue dries. I do press the feather and clamp firmly into place when I first set it on the shaft but that's it.

I do mostly 4" feathers and vanes with max helical.

I'm not nocking the other brands or saying that the JoJan is better because I have no experience with the others. Just saying that I've had good luck with the JoJan and can't see any reason to switch.

25-Nov-14
I used to use all three bitzes when using fletching cement like fletch tite, etc.

With the newer fast setting glues (super glue ultra gel, etc) I almost never use more than one jig. By the time I've got the next vane prepped the one in the jig has set enough to remove the clamp and continue. Usually don't shoot them till the next day but production isn't really much slower using just one jig and the fast set glues.

Another note.... the bitzes come up on ebay fairly regularly. If you have some patience and not in a hurry you can pick them up pretty cheap. Just pay attention as to what clamp they have for it, if any.

25-Nov-14
Buy once, cry once. Bitzenbuger.

25-Nov-14
I have a jojan and a bitz. Bits all the way!

26-Nov-14
Bitz!Never could understand the time to fletch with it being a burden.Even if you fletch just one arrow a day that's 365 arrows per year.Unless shooting brick walls is your thing you should be able to get by at that rate.

26-Nov-14
Ok Bitz it shall be, with right helical. I am still considering trying the Gateway "RAYZR" feathers too - anyone have experience with them?

26-Nov-14
I have experience with the Rayzr's. They are okay, but not as good as Blazer type vanes for big fixed heads IMHO.

I was able to get them to tune my heads fine, but some of my customers who switched from Blazers to Rayzr's had their BH groups open up.

If your form is good, and your heads are good, and your tune is good, I see no reason for them to fail you. But everything has to be good.

26-Nov-14
x-man - I will stick with the 4" helical feathers, they seem perfectly suited for my form, and for the bitz! I will be using that waterproofing powder, from what I read, it's pretty damn good.

thanks again

26-Nov-14
If it were me, I think I'd buy two different Arizona fletchers. I like Bitz jigs, but the Arizonas are simple and do a great job.

26-Nov-14
Hi Jack, darn I wish you posted this a couple months ago ..... I sold my whole arrow building stuff then with over $1,200+ in feathers alone (4" & 5" assorted right wing color feathers) .... 2 -6 arrow Jo-Jan fletching jigs and Easton Cut Off Saw and extra blades and Crester Jr. and other misc. stuff for $400.00 !!!

27-Nov-14
My Grayling does the job well. It is about ten years old and looks like new. It does not look as rugged as the Bitz but it functions the same. I bought a right helical clamp but fletch all my arrows with a right offset.

27-Nov-14

idacurt's Link
What about heat shrink fletching? no jigs required.

27-Nov-14
Jack- I shoot the same as you. FMJ's with 4" feathers. LW.

Next up you will get glue recommendations. I use the old reliable Flex Bond. (Green tube) and it works. NEVER loose a feather or vane.

27-Nov-14
It makes no sense. Bucks would not still have antlers after the second semester. They would have shed. By then.

28-Nov-14
Bou - I think you posted on the WRONG thread! LOL

12-Dec-14

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
LET THE FUN BEGIN. I also got 50 Red 50 white AEE Plastifletch vanes to play around with in 3 7/8" length. Man are they so much lower profile than my blazers... Gonna try and 4-fletch them as my first "project", 2 red, 2 white. Right Helical.

12-Dec-14
My post season fletching occur at night with some cold brews and the NFL playoffs!

• Sitka Gear