Medicinemann 25-Nov-14
bigeasygator 25-Nov-14
MathewsMan 25-Nov-14
Medicinemann 25-Nov-14
Nick Muche 25-Nov-14
bigeasygator 25-Nov-14
Nick Muche 25-Nov-14
25-Nov-14
I've always had this wild hair regarding chasing the NA29 from back when I was a youngster reading about Chuck Adams' adventures. Something about the diversity of game and, even more, about the diversity of the experiences (the people, the country, the cultures, the hunting styles) is intoxicating to me. Lately, I've been more serious about planning some of these adventure hunts as Tom Miranda likes to call them, and that's what brought me to Bowsite as there seem to be more serious, dedicated bowhunters with more breadth and depth of experience than anywhere else.

With that in mind, I thought I'd pose a question to you folks that have more experience and wanted to get a number of perspectives. When looking at the NA 29, which species do you think it makes sense to hunt as a combination hunt given the logistics, timing, and price? I'm sure there's folks that have done some combination hunts that aren't chasing any kind of Slam as well. Curious to hear what works and what doesn't? I read Jake's in-depth look at his Super Slam and, for example, he recommended doing Polar Bear and Musk Ox as a combination hunt given the challenges of an arctic hunt. I also thought some of the Musk Ox/CBG Caribou combo hunts looked appealing (especially in the Fall! haha) but haven't heard of anybodies experience with them. So what say you, Bowsiters? This could be a good resource as well for anyone planning any kind of once-in-a-lifetime type trip as well.

25-Nov-14
Jason,

While it is possible to tag two species (maybe even three) on a given hunt, I would suggest that people focus on ONE given animal. Minimize distractions. That doesn't mean that you should limit your options...just focus on one species.

That being said, if you have tags for two different animals, and your second choice is giving you a great shot at 25 yards...in many instances, I would take it. Having that second tag in your pocket helps to keep your options open.

However, if you are hunting for Dall sheep and a nice Mountain Caribou walks by....you have a decision to make....if you kill the caribou, you are going to lose a day of hunting....and sheep bowhunts are not cheap. If you don't tag a ram by the end of the hunt, you might want that day back.

While sheep are much more expensive than caribou...there is no right or wrong answer....but I would have my decision made IN ADVANCE....that way, you aren't rushed into a decision that is made under duress....which you might regret at a later time. Make a decision and tell yourself that you will stick with it.

I killed a nice Canadian Moose and a bison in British Columbia last Fall. I killed a nice black Bear going to the gut pile of my Wood Bison in 2005. I believe that those are the only two times that I have tagged two animals on one hunt.

I have friends that have killed Tule Elk and Columbia Blacktails on the same hunt.....Roosevelt Elk and Columbia Blacktails might also be possible. For those with nerves (and the approprate tags), you might pull off a brown bear/Sitka Blacktail too....but I would defer to Blacktail Bob about his thoughts on that adventure.

In many instances, it would be possible to add a black bear to a hunt for a different species.

Heck, a year or two ago....Mad Trapper had shot opportunities at Tule Elk, Columbia Blacktail, and black bear all in the same 10 day hunt!!

25-Nov-14
Be very careful about those Polar Bear/Coues deer combo hunts!

25-Nov-14
Nick,

So you're saying I shouldn't have put my deposit down on that hunt? haha

Jake,

Thanks for weighing in...that's fantastic advice that comes with the experience to back it up. Part of the reason for asking the questions is that it doesn't seem like there are many "great" opportunities to do a combo hunt. I put "great" in quotes because I know there are by far no guarantees in hunting and every hunt should be tempered by expectations that you may hunt hard and come home empty-handed even when focusing on just one animal -- and this is especially true when you factor in the degree of difficulty a bow adds. Really appreciate you sharing how you should approach these situations and have a gameplan and understand the implications of that gameplan. It seems like some species work "better" as a combination hunt, but that still carries with it some trade offs as you've highlighted. Thanks again.

25-Nov-14
Mule deer can go with American Elk, Shiras Moose, Pronghorn

Grizzly Bear with BG caribou

Sitka Black tail with BG Caribou if you hunt Kodiak.

Canada Moose with Woodland Caribou used to be an inexpensive sure thing.

As mentioned Black Bear with many combos

Coues deer go well with javelina (as soon as P&Y add them!)

I have a friend who did Mt. Goat added on after Dall Sheep while the other hunter added on Mt. Caribou.

As mentioned one should be primary and the secondary tag considered a bonus. Most species have a different niche even within the same geographic area so exact hunting situations don't overlap very often

25-Nov-14
Look at the goat hunt that's on the boards right now. That hunt had RMBHS, Goat, and elk as an option, although his friend was hunting sheep and he was hunting goat/elk.

Don't forget all of the animals that are on Kodiak including Roosevelts. If you got one of the draws in AK, you could possibly tack one of the other animals on that trip if you could dedicate the time to the hunt.

25-Nov-14

B N A A guy's Link
Jake has it right on target with his suggestion on focusing on ONE specific species, to often we can get caught up in multiple tags and not have much to show for it. That being said your most realistic chance in my opinion would be a combination Mule Deer / Antelope bowhunt. On a good piece of ground you should see both species each day and possibly even on the same stalk as it has happened to my clients before. This ups the odds of getting a double in the same trip but it will still be a significant challenge.

If it was me looking for a chance to try and get two trophies towards the slam in the same trip I would start there.

If you are ever interested in finding out more than please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Best regards, Scott Alberda

Bow and Arrow Adventures - Bowsite Sponsor

25-Nov-14
Thanks for the responses thus far folks. Appreciate the perspective. I'm a little skeptical of some of the combination hunts that get advertised and whether it's even worthwhile to pony up the cash. For example, mule deer and antelope make sense in certain areas. I've seen (heard of, watched on video, etc) people take mountain caribou after tagging out on sheep.

However, can't say that I've seen or hear of someone take a goat and a sheep on the same trip and those get advertised. I see other combinations out on the Cabela's website or in Bowhunting Safari Consultants advertised that say moose/goat/grizzly combination or sheep/moose/grizzly combination and it just seems like going with the expectation to take even two of those animals might be a bit much given how people typically hunt them and the country they live in (especially with a bow).

Obviously you can tag out early and have time to switch things up and there's all kinds of other factors that play into it. To me, it does make sense to focus on one animal for the hunt and if time or opportunity permits, make the call for something else. I do feel like if you aren't focused on one, you're really focused on none.

There are other combinations that tend to be hunted the same way, in the same country, and historically may be easier to harvest allowing more time to devote to a second species. Or there are some that logistically speaking, it may make sense to book some extra time to try and harvest a second species given some of the logistical or physical challenges associated with it. That was what I was trying to get at. I know there's not a one size fits all answer though! Thanks for the responses thus far!

25-Nov-14
Jason,

One more thing....the NA29 is a significant undertaking in many ways....financial, logistical, time consuming, etc.....if I could share one other point, it would be this....try not to get caught up in being able to check animals off of a "list".

Try to enjoy each adventure for what it is ....a journey.....and take a boatload of photos for every trip!!!

25-Nov-14
...and remember to post all of those photos on Bowsite!!

25-Nov-14
Oh, don't worry Jake, regardless of how many I hunt I plan on sharing! And while I've always been goal-oriented, first-and-foremost I've been an experience-oriented person and that has been the biggest attraction to the NA29. I like the idea of the Super 10 as a start to get a taste for the variety of game, landscapes, cultures, and people that make this journey so special and we'll see where I go from there...who knows!

25-Nov-14
If you can relocate to someplace with lots of hunting opportunity.

Being able to change your scenery could go a long ways towards such a goal.

Without some specialized field like Petroleum Engineering or something in high demand living in Canada is probably not likely.

Having savings and time/availability to go on cancellations would be a big plus for sure.

25-Nov-14
Nick Muche has the right idea......he relocated to Alaska....

25-Nov-14
Though the 29 will never be a feasible goal of mine nor would I ever relate hunting to a checklist like I see so many younger generation folks doing, moving to Alaska has been a blessing to both my wife and I. It didn't come without sacrifices though, but I can tell you we are very happy up here. That said, I plan to take full advantage of everything I can while I'm here. The way things are laid out as of now in terms of my career, her career, etc... We may never leave.

25-Nov-14
I do happen to be a Petroleum Engineer (Chemical by background but I've worked the upstream side of things as a production engineer since I left college). Who knows, one day Alaska or Canada might be in the cards career wise, but right now I'm loving New Orleans and the hunting and fishing South Louisiana has to offer!

25-Nov-14
The job opportunities in AK for your field....wow...

• Sitka Gear