Wallydog 29-Nov-14
Ole Coyote 29-Nov-14
TD 29-Nov-14
JLS 29-Nov-14
huntmaster 30-Nov-14
Shug 30-Nov-14
huntmaster 30-Nov-14
25-Nov-14
So, as many of you can probably guess, when Pat Lefemine and I are bowhunting in Kansas, we not only hunt hard (unless we tag out on the first day), but we also really "cut it up". I'd say that we really know how to let our hair down....but....well, nah...we won't go there...at least, not yet....but Rogaine really isn't THAT expensive, Pat.

I COMPLETELY understand the desire, even the need, to do DIY hunts....I would be lost without the satisfaction, solace, and time for reflection that mine provide. However, as I am now within 2 years of the thirtieth anniversary of my thirtieth birthday, I note that my definition of "hardcore" just isn't what it used to be.

I am starting to gravitate towards hunts that allow me to share some quick wit, outstanding humor, and endless ball breaking...in addition to the hunting experience. I was wondering where some of the rest of you line up on this topic....and feel free to share some specific stories....

I mean....there is a thread about 1/2 racks on here right now....so I shared a comment about a taxidermy mount that was actually quite clever.....and fearless Lefemine posts........ "Jake, stay off the mushrooms. ;-) Mounting a deer head in half on a mirror is just too weird. I wouldn't know whether to admire him or start shaving."

I look forward to sharing camps with fellow bowhunters more and more these days....but when Ned Greer is in camp, always try to steer the conversation towards Cornfields....and that is all that I am going to say!!! LOL!!

Banter, it's what's for breakfast!!

25-Nov-14
EDIT.....I don't know if my "enter" key is sticking, if I am inadvertently double clicking, or I have suddenly developed a non essential tremor....but these double posts gotta go!!!

25-Nov-14
Yeah, I love the banter myself....though some guys can be a bit thin skinned.......and that takes away all of the fun.

25-Nov-14
You should come hunting with Hunt Man and I sometime. I leave every time with a sore face from laughing so hard. Always looking forward to the next time out in the woods or mountains with buddies. Heck even Treeman has a sense of humor :)

25-Nov-14
Nick,

I remember reading a recent where HUNT MAN's sense of humor was referred to.....personally, I subscribe to the "if you didn't post it on Bowsite, it didn't happen" theory....

In case you are wondering, that is your queue....

25-Nov-14
Agreed, people that are thin skinned don't last very long in our camps. The camaraderie and joking around is half the fun, working hard and getting a few animals just makes it better.

25-Nov-14
Yea I think hunting with friends and having a good time is important. It's the memories associated with the hunt that I remember most. But with that said I'm still young and I really enjoy hunting by myself and hunting hard. I would like to hunt with a number of guys on bowsite. Seems like a good time.

25-Nov-14
"...I note that my definition of "hardcore" just isn't what it used to be."

One step closer to admitting you guys were a little more than scared to go on that elephant bow hunt. Good luck.

25-Nov-14
I am surprised that Ned hasn't posted a comment about my crocs or Jake's red gatoraid or Lefemine about his calves.

25-Nov-14
Funny story...I got a call a few months ago from a casting director in Hollywood that was looking for someone for a bowhunting show. She had seen some videos and pics I've posted on Youtube and other forums and thought I would fit the part for the role, which I found out was to be a part of a show on bowhunting Isla Mona -- a remote island off Puerto Rico home to a number of pigs and wild goats the Spanish left behind. She said the role they were looking for was of a bad-ass, lone wolf type bowhunter and she interviewed me for the part. Needless to say, I consider myself anything but!! She was asking questions about being a lone wolf and I tried to play to it, but I had a hard time because that's not what I love about hunting, and I would take the social experience over a solo experience any day...needless to say I never heard back haha

To me the camp camaraderie is one of my favorite aspects of hunting. Those moments around a campfire or sitting around a table and the jokes, stories, and laughs that come with it are what I remember most about hunting. I've met some great folks hunting who I'm great friends with, and we text and joke almost daily and they all stem from some experience in camp...and needless to say they all rip on me for trying to pass myself off as a bad ass lone wolf haha

25-Nov-14

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Interesting when I read Tom Hoffman's comments in the P&Y Club record book after he became the first guy to bow kill all the North American species and have them all make P&Y Club minimum it was quite telling.

The question asked was: What next?? His answer, "Hunt the species I enjoy the most with the friends I enjoy the most".

Makes a lot of sense to us as we get some age on us! Take great photo's! C

PS: I still love the "loner" hunts where I call my own shots and can do what ever I want:)

25-Nov-14
Good friends, good cocktails, and some good old fashioned bull $#!@ make for some good memories. I'm still on the right side of 40 and I still have some "hardcore" hunts I want to do but the ones I look forward to most have the 3 ingredients listed above.

I don't have any thin skinned hunting buddies. That type wouldn't last long in our camp.

25-Nov-14
Treeman has a sense of humor???? huh.....

I like camp, hanging with the boys is fun. But honestly not why I'm there. And like Justin I enjoy the solitude very much. I'm there to hunt. That is the focus, the purpose. Seems all I think about.

But OTOH I can see priorities changing when a hunter has pretty much conquered all his wishes, scaled every mountain, done every adventure, taken all the game few could ever dream of.... well, yeah, I can certainly see the focus changing at some point.

Well.... that and getting old.... heheheheheh.... (looking down the barrel of 60 as well Jake....)

I imagine it's much easier for Bigdan, with 50+ elk and a 400 on the wall, to let bulls walk many of us would hyperventilate about. As well as enjoy some company at his hunting cabin that he might have run out of camp in the past. =D

25-Nov-14
TD,

You couldn't let it go, could you?!! LOL!! THAT is what I am talking about!! Good stuff....

25-Nov-14
Finally figured out all of these damned double posts...now I either need to clean off replace my keyboard!!

25-Nov-14
Each year I generally head to upstate NY, smack in the middle of the L.I. rut, for the opening weekend of rifle but unfortunately could not make it this year. I have never shot anything but the camp experience is second to none.....I don't take myself too serious and love to laugh whether it be at my or others expense. For me its all about the camp experience. I will hunt hard and if I take an animal its gravy.

25-Nov-14
The comraderie can/should be a big part of hunting. It can make a bad hunt decent and a good hunt even better. That being said, not having a hunt partner or group on a particular hunt hasn't stopped me in the past and won't in the future. Sometimes going out and talking to the ancestors is all I want or need.

25-Nov-14
I love my alone time in the deer woods as it is much needed therapy. But the trips to Shiloh Ranch twice a year with the guys hog hunting is awesome. The last few years a couple friends from Colorado have come and deer hunted with us and had a blast. That and the trips to see them at the Colorado BH Jamboree in July are priceless.

25-Nov-14

IdyllwildArcher's MOBILE embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's MOBILE embedded Photo

If I'm not laughing, I'm dead.

This was taken last month on an overnight hunt, believe it or not, in Southern California. My brother and I had just climbed 2500 ft to crest a ridge where we would camp. There were 50 mph winds and the clouds were so dense that we were soaked from the moisture blown on to us by the wind. At 7k ft, it was 35 degrees, we were drenched, cold, and glassing deer wasn't a high likelihood with about 50-60 yards of visability.

I can't post what I said here that had my brother laughing as Bowsite has rules against my level of vulgarity, but IMO, the more unpleasant conditions get, the more a heavy dose of humor is indicated.

25-Nov-14
I love my lonely days in the woods chasing whitetails. .

I've loved the couple solo western trips I've taken. . .

I've loved the western trips I've taken with a good buddy and all the hunts, fishing trips, etc. that we've been involved in. . .

It's all good. Lots of guys on here I'm sure would be a blast to hunt with and/or share camp with.

Hoping to kill some turkeys with one or two come spring. . . if Treeman doesn't punk out and work on his house instead. . .

Bake

25-Nov-14
Medicineman,

You have started some great threads!

At 55 the camaraderie is much more important now. I have always liked to hunt alone; however, the last 4 years my brother has been coming from Atlanta to my farm in MO. The abuse we give each other is the best part of the hunt, and the hunt I look most forward to each year now.

This year I took a mature doe being followed by a buck with my bow on Friday before rifle began on Saturday. On Saturday morning my brother took the buck while I was sitting in the blind with him, at only 35 yards. He hunts with rifle. He was in the middle of a serious childhood story I had forgotten when I told him "shut up and shoot this buck now". He never paused but had the buck on the ground in 5 seconds or less. We laughed so hard and I changed the story to our family that I told my brother to quit crying about no one loving him when he were younger and just shoot this deer already or shoot me to get me out of my misery. The busting chops was legendary, just like when we were kids. I cannot wait until next year!

I have three other guys that go regularly to my farm, including my brother-in-law. They are all great guys. We needle each other all of the time, but really pull together when someone had an experience that was not good. I would have to say the people now are much more important than the hunt itself. My only regret is that I did not recognize this sooner!

Thanks.

25-Nov-14
I resent those remarks. I've been told I am funny by lots of people. But come to think of it they may have been refering to the way I look...

I have to have fun with the hunts, cause I can't seem to kill too much, gotta get my money's worth some how ;)

--Jim

25-Nov-14
I love a mountain hunt where Im half scared and the other half uncomfortable, as that makes for adventure and memories.

But I also love a low stress hunt like Texas whitetails where there is lots of opportunity, good weather, good friends, bad jokes and a bottomless cooler of beer.

Gotta have both in my book. Take this stuff too seriously and you are missing the point.

25-Nov-14
LOL! Jim, you're lucky..... Coach says if I didn't have a sense of humor I'd have no sense at all.....

She could be on to something....

25-Nov-14
I wouldn't dream of ball breaking and laughing in camp....I'm far too serious for that.

25-Nov-14
Maybe it's age. I don't remember all the kills. Some are memorable but they just aren't as profound as they once were. Countless hours in the stand, while therapeutic, fade into hazy amalgamated context.

Fellowship with the right people makes all the difference. Jake, I cannot imagine the camp that wouldn't benefit from you in it.

25-Nov-14
I guess I'm drifting in the opposite direction of most on this thread. In my corporate life, I flew around the country and spent a lot of days (and nights) entertaining others at dinners, events, socially, outings, whatever. When I got home each week I just wanted to spend time with my wife and dogs, or off exploring by myself. My daughter fished and camped with me some, but she's off on her own.

Now I'm 60 and not living in that jet-set world anymore. I've found I love the solitude, freedom, and self-reliance that comes with adventuring alone. I enjoy my own company.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy camaraderie and bantering as much as anyone, but I'm becoming much more introspective as I grow older. It's not for want of friends or companionship - I have plenty of pals and enjoy their company.

There are many Bowsiters I'd love to share a camp with. Probably will in the next few years. But this experience of scouting and hunting alone almost nonstop since mid-summer has been perhaps my most enjoyable season ever. I caught myself constantly smiling, and don't have to worry about anyone else's moods, idiosyncrasies, conflicts, or managing personalities.

Call it selfish. Or perhaps a different level of self-actualization. But it's been creeping up on me for a number of years and I finally acknowledged and accepted it. My wife saw it coming and actually encouraged this aberrant behavior, so long as I check in with her on the SPOT every evening.

Jake, we should discuss this in Phoenix. Perhaps I need counseling. :)

25-Nov-14
I don't have a lot of friends, but the ones I do have are damn good ones. And we have a grand time

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

26-Nov-14

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
If you can't have fun why even bother going?

26-Nov-14
I hunt alone With nobody else You know why I hunt alone? I prefer to be by myself!

26-Nov-14
I totally agree Jake! I enjoy hunting with my son more than anything else but also enjoy camp comraderie immensely. It's great to share camp at night with like minded folks and then hunt in solitude each day. It's the best of both worlds in my HUMBLE opinion....Mike

26-Nov-14
I hunt alone With nobody else You know why I hunt alone? I prefer to be by myself!

I believe you hunt alone TBM....I just don't believe it's your choice. ..

26-Nov-14
cnelk,

where is the fourth quarter? Does the guy way in back have it? I don't see a leg sticking out of his pack.....LOL

26-Nov-14
When times get tough, sometimes a sense of humor can help you through. And when times are good, they can make the good times even better.

I haven't shared many hunting camps, but I have done a few fishing camps. For the veterans, it is a right of passage to bust balls of everyone, especially the young pups. Just the way it should be!

26-Nov-14
"It's great to share camp at night with like minded folks and then hunt in solitude each day."

You nailed it right here Mike.

26-Nov-14
"I hunt alone With nobody else You know why I hunt alone? I prefer to be by myself!"

TBM. Most of us have deduced that from most of your posts. That probably works out best for you anyway. ;-)

26-Nov-14
Friends don't let friends carry hooves! :)

Cut those darn things off!

26-Nov-14
Medicinemann

That was the second trip out from 2 elk shot that morning

Idyl

We didn't have all that far to pack that meat.

26-Nov-14
Florida Mike X3.

However, there are a few outings that lend themselves to spending time with buddies while the hunt is actually in progress which can be a hoot as well.

Caribou, varmints, fishing, etc. come to mind.

28-Nov-14
If I ever have any friends, or think of a joke, I'll tell you what I prefer. As it is now, few people can stand to be around me. I have found that in the rare year when I kill something bigger than a two point, I seem to be more popular.

Truth is, I have one friend I try to hunt every year with. We can make each other laugh, for sure, but it seems like a lot of times our hunts are more like therapy after a tough year. It's definitely about the hunt, we both like to kill things a lot- but more and more it's about freaking out together about what the last year has dealt us.

On the other hand, I try to hunt with my kids a lot too, which now is a teaching experience. I'm hoping that when I'm old, that will turn into a "take care of the old man and park his carcass where he might see a big deer" experience.

29-Nov-14
In Moose and Deer Camp the solitude of hunting alone during the day is "THERAPY" that is much needed by everyone from the evenings we spend together having a few drinks and teasing the heck out of each other.

If I am going to hunt with someone during the day I much prefer to be coaching a new hunter or girl or boy to his/her 1st turkey, deer or bear. Some of my friend's kids say I get more excited then them when they put an arrow into something!

29-Nov-14
Awesome stories.

We used to have an old hand grenade (sans explosives) from an army navy store attached to a rope. It was nicely painted for the wearer so it would build pride and happiness when they looked at it. Whoever last missed had to carry that dang thing in an obvious manner while hunting so that anyone who saw them would see it.

Gotta love the kindness of friends :)

Keep the stories coming!

29-Nov-14
I have heard of some hunting camps where guys would cut off a shirttail if some missed.....and someone on Bowsite posted once that they rip the sleeves off of someones shirt, but I don't remember if that was because they killed, or because they missed.....

I still remember hunting with Pat Lefemine one year....he was hunting over a decoy. We both decided to come out of the woods for lunch that day, instead of hunting all day long. As we pulled up near where he was hunting, we look out into the field where he had placed his deer decoy....and the decoy had an Obama mask on its head!!....and it hadn't stopped deer from coming in, either!!

29-Nov-14
If I'm hunting with one of my buddies or my wife or kids, we laugh at each other. If I'm hunting by myself then I laugh t myself.

Life is too short to take it too seriously.

29-Nov-14
I am pretty hard to live with if I kill the first deer in camp. I ask if anyone wants an autographed picture or if they want me to sign their bow. Then I tell the story of the moments leading up to the shot, over and over an over an ..over. Lol. I am one of 2 Illinois guys in camp full of Wisconsin guys....it dont get any better en that...lol

29-Nov-14
95% of the time I hunt alone because my hunting friend just can't' seem to get a weekend pass from the wife! Truly a sorry affair1

29-Nov-14
Jake.... done the missing sleeve thing, but had more to do with not having any Mountain Money than missing or hitting anything.....

Lots of things about hunting camps that aren't like the real world....one of the few places farting isn't just accepted, it can be a competitive event.....

29-Nov-14
"....one of the few places farting isn't just accepted, it can be a competitive event..... "

LOL, that can be the kitchen table at our house, and I have girls!

30-Nov-14

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
This might not be the best photo of our set up, but it's all I have.

We have a deers butt mounted on a plaque at our camp and any miss or "shot and no got" goes on the board. It is quite the ritual as we all get to razz the lucky recipient while we place their name up over breakfast or dinner.

Unfortunately, I had a struggle at 27 yards a couple days this year, but recovered nicely with four straight kills since.

It wouldn't be the same without the board.

30-Nov-14
That Scott guy seems like a real looser huh? ....lol

30-Nov-14
The dude is a big time loser... lol! You can bet I took some flack for that!

I've been fighting a case of target panic that I need to cure this winter. I'm calm, cool and collected right up until the time I put the pin on an animal and then I just punch the trigger...

• Sitka Gear