Kevin Dill 26-Nov-14
boothill 26-Nov-14
Charlie Rehor 26-Nov-14
boothill 26-Nov-14
Z Barebow 26-Nov-14
Fisher 28-Nov-14
wkochevar 01-Dec-14
25-Nov-14
So it's been many years since I've had to go out and buy a new headlamp, my old Petzl finally died. It was a simple, single incandescent bulb with a twist focus from spot to flood....looked a bit like an old miners lamp (lol)but worked very well for many years. I can't believe the number of options and sizes available plus the cost of some. What are some of your thoughts on # of lumens, red/green light switches, battery life, etc. The main use would be to assist in tracking game in low light to dark conditions and hand-free light while gutting/breaking down an animal in the dark. I typically walk in and out of the woods in the dark just so my eyes stay adjusted, so that assistance isn't a big deal. Brands, models to consider? Thanks!!

25-Nov-14
I bought one at Home Depot that puts out I think 175 lumens. Has a battery pak on the back for 3 AAA and is adjustable down to 60 lumens. I'll be wearing it up at our bear camp this year for sure. Personally I can't think of where I'd use colored lights and you said you wanted it for tracking which this one I bought makes the blood POP out at you. Was pretty cheap too. I think the brand name was Coast.

25-Nov-14
I have been using the Black Diamond Storm for years with no problems. It has a spotlight, a flood, a strobe, and a red light. I don't use the red or strobe light...although I might in an emergency.

Have been testing out the Nitecore HC50 lately, pretty close to coming to some hard conclusions on it. All in all I like it.

25-Nov-14
I like my Petzl Tikka quite a bit. 80 lumens is plenty bright for me, and it has red and strobe options on it. It can switch back and forth from a flood to spot as well. It does everything I need and is also very lightweight.

25-Nov-14
I use one I paid like $5 for. It's a Cyclops Atom I think is the brand and model. Super simple, super cheap, and gets the job done for the things you described. If I have a tough trail at night I'll usually head back to the farm/house and grab my lantern. Nothing beats a lantern for night time tracking IMO. If I were going on a backpack or mountain hunt I'd make a different choice but for use in the whitetail woods this one gets the job done perfectly for $5.

25-Nov-14
I bought a Zebra Light (200 Lumens). I really like it, it takes a single AA battery, and the battery life is actually pretty decent, even on max brightness.

One of the best features is the glow in the dark rubber mount that it slides into on the headband strap; makes it easy to locate in the pitch blackness.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

25-Nov-14
Bought a Princeton Tec Vizz lamp earlier this year. Runs off 3 AAA batteries and seems to have a good battery life. Has 2 red LED's for when walking in or out, I hate sticks in the eyes. Also has 2 white LED's that will brighten and dim that is great around camp or when dressing in the dark. Also has a 165 lumen spot that works great when tracking. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another and was around $35 - $40.

25-Nov-14
I use a Cabela's Alaskan guide model. It is $99 and may be the best $99 I ever spent on hunting gear. 4 AA batteries will last all night and it is bright enough that we use them when spotlighting coons. It has a white light as well as green light both of which have a high and low setting.

25-Nov-14
I took my princton Viz back to REI. That constant blinking red led was more than I could take. Went back to Black Diamond.

25-Nov-14
I have several brands, and all the major brands seem to work well. The ones I use most are my Petzel Zipka, a tiny Black diamond one and another tiny one that I can't remember the brand of at the moment.

What I look for is simple operation (I don't want to have to hit the button 4 times to turn on the low level or to turn it off) and I really like the smallest ones I can get. I usually keep a headlamp in a cargo pocket when I am hunting, because I have hunting in my pack in the dark for a flashlight... Adequate battery life is a great plus as well. I change the batteries on my headlamps about every other year unless I have used them a LOT. I've never had a problem with one being too dim for what I wanted to do unless the batteries are getting low.

25-Nov-14
WapitiBob, when you say blinking red light? Mine only blinks a couple times when you lock the switch and unlock it or the batteries are low. Used mine on a couple weekend hog hunts and deer season so far with no issues. But that being said I don't use it constantly as some folks do.

25-Nov-14
Like you, I prefer not to use a light in the woods; but when you have to, I go as bright as possible. I even use a flashlight at the same time and double down on light.

That said, I use a PrincetonTec. The biggest reason, It takes standard batteries, just like the LED flashlight- simplicity.

25-Nov-14
Actually I had a Princeton tec that I used for a couple of seasons. Great light, but got some rain in it elk hunting this fall and died. Was stuck using the backup handheld.

Picked up a cheap rayovac in a pinch that uses 3 AAA's and actually have been impressed. Has 5 white/2 red and a strobe function. You can use combos of 3 white, 2 white or all 5 whites. Has both spot and flood functions. Not bad for $ 14. Don't know how durable it is yet, but appears to be water resistant.

25-Nov-14
I like the Princeton tec light that has the small spread light and focused high beam if needed.

I like the lower spread beams for hiking at night on trails and such. Lights like the single focused beam make me woosey when packing in at night, the spread beam is better, IMO.

TIP; I dab a little silicone spray lube on a Q tip and run it on the 'O' rings of my headlamps every once in awhile, keeps the gasket supple and waterproof.

25-Nov-14
Take a good look at the Black Diamond lineup. Great variety of types some of which are rechargeable. Other outstanding features include: On/off switch which locks off so won't run out of batteries in your pack. Adjustable intensity so you use only the amt of light (batteries) that you need. Got the rechargeable one last year and used on sheep and elk hunts. Very happy with it

25-Nov-14
Ya gotta love those Petzl Tikkas!

25-Nov-14

kellyharris's Link
I have a Black Diamond ICON and to say its bad ass is an understatement.

With 200 lumens it is a great tracking light as well.

runs on 4 double A batteries and cranks out up to 200 lumens!!!

I have 3 black diamond lights. One is a backup and the other I paid about 120.00 for several years ago I gave to Morgan.

The Icon is 79.00 but trust me it is one of the best pieces of gear I own when it comes to quality!!!

25-Nov-14
Black Diamond from REI 5 years ago no problems.

25-Nov-14
I have the cabelas xpg 135 lumen cree bulb with a 60 hour battery burn time. it also has a green led mode that is real good for not messing up your night vision. I rarely use the white cree high power setting unless I am tracking. I think I paid 50 bucks for it. I also have a cheepo energizer led one I got from Walmart that works real good but it weighs about 3 times the xpg model. I have had the cabelas model for several years and it works as good as new.

25-Nov-14
I love my Coast HL7 LED Headlamp I bought at Menards. It has lever in the back you move to adjust the brightness and the beam also can be focused from wide to narrow. Very bright light for blood trailing at night. The price is reasonable as well. Here is the link to the light I am referring to.

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/batteries-flashlights/flashlights/specialty-flashlights/hl7-focusing-led-headlamp/p-2083968-c-14149.htm

25-Nov-14
I'm a big fan of Fenix lights, current headlamp is a Fenix hp-25. (replacing an older model run over by the truck) Two separate lights with two separate controls, one dedicated flood and one dedicated spot.

Love the flood and use it 90% of the time (a good flood should be the same amount of light from edge to edge and no bright spot in the middle) but the spot is pretty amazing by itself with a very focused beam. Used it hanging out the window to drive a truck back into town about 10 miles one night when the headlights went out. 360 lumin rated. Decent life even using both on high, uses 4 AA batteries, same as all my electronics but my rangefinder.

A little heavy, but will do anything you need WRT light. 20 different combinations in brightness and pattern. Turn the brightness down and it seems to last forever. I don't mind a bit of weight if it performs like I want.

25-Nov-14
rayovac.com, I buy mine derect, they have a great 1W headlamp for 20ish$ and it uses One AA, it also has red led and blue, of lesser wattage. its been working for me near 10 yrs, and there still avalalbe. for that price nothing compares

25-Nov-14
I like rayovacs one watt head lamp for 20$, and it uses one AA bat, supper bright . rayovac.com

25-Nov-14

DC's Link
I Love This Light For Blood Trailing. And other uses as well. When the lights go off in the house I can shine it on a ceiling and light up an entire room all night if I want.

I have a Brinkman Q-Beam LED with a High - Low - and Red Light. (Night Vision Rechargeable) About 69.99. The last one I bought on sell for 40 dollars.

25-Nov-14
Anyone used the cree headlamps? They shine a square beam and are very bright. Thinking of picking up a couple.

25-Nov-14
Happy with the Petzl Tikka! 80 lumens seems good enough and it's very small and non-intrusive

26-Nov-14
I've got a Princeton Tec Remix. I hate to turn it on a lot of the time, because all the roosters start crowing.

26-Nov-14
Fubar, the cree bulbs are great, super bright white light. A friend has a light designed for his bike helmet that has 2 cree bulbs, wow is that thing bright.

26-Nov-14
Be ware that many headlamps will "somehow" turn on while in your pack and drain your batteries. Look for ones that protect the on/off switch from accidentally going on and draining your batteries. Let me know if you've got one. After that they are pretty much the same. C

26-Nov-14
That is one reason I got the Princeton Vizz Charlie. You can press the on/off button 3 times and it will lock it from accidental turn on in the pack. A quick 3 presses again and activates the light again. Pretty handy

26-Nov-14
I have a Petzl for my tracking headlamp. I bought some Princetons for the whole family (One in each vehicle) from Steep and Cheap.

I use the Princeton on lowest setting as I go in and out of the woods and reserve the Petzl for blood tracking as it has a great beam and lights up very well. (As someone who is color blind, I need all the help I can get.) No need for the Coleman lantern any more for tracking.

28-Nov-14
Had 2 Fenix headlamps. Both quit working at about a year of use. Would not buy again.

I like the Cabelas Alaska guide headlamp with green light.

01-Dec-14
Thanks for all the input!! I ended up buying a Black Diamond Spot. Could have paid more for others but man I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on a $50+ headlamp. Anyway, got to use it last weekend and it seems to be a good piece of equipment and fits the bill quite nicely so far. Thx again!!

• Sitka Gear