Jaeger63 02-Dec-14
Nick Muche 02-Dec-14
Jaeger63 02-Dec-14
Toby 02-Dec-14
LckyTylr 06-Dec-14
Genesis 06-Dec-14
elkmo 19-Dec-14
01-Dec-14
I know this thread has been done, i have done searches for similar topics already, but I'd like to reopen for discussion. I have lucked into a very real possibility of hunting brown bear this coming fall ('15).

Who has gone after brown bear with archery equipment in the last 5 years? What arrow/broadhead setup did you settle on?

I'll be shooting my Bowtech Assassin at 71#, 30" draw. For elk and deer, I have been shooting my Victory arrows with Montec G5 Strikers. I shot my bull this year at 30 yards (frontal) and nicked the front of the chest cavity. My arrow drove right through and broke bone, I got 3/4" shaft penetration and my bull went 80 yards.

I KNOW that I need heavier arrows and stronger BH's, but I trust bowsiter opinion and experience more than I trust industry hype for the products I have been browsing.

So, thank you for any comments. I can't wait for 2015!

01-Dec-14
I've killed two in the last 5 years both with 27" FMJ tipped with 125 gr Slick Tricks pulling 70lb Drenalin.......about 475 gr One ran 60 yards and the other 20 Bears are fairly thin skinned

Your setup is fine and if the arrows fly well don't touch a thing......

You should have complete confidence in your set up especially if you are taking whitetail (very strong flight/fight reaction on shot) and elk both probally are at the top of NA big game animals to recover on marginal shots.

01-Dec-14
Agree with Genesis, thin skinned and ribs are NOT tough at all, if you hit shoulder I don't care what setup you have it won't penetrate. Your set-up will be fine.

01-Dec-14
I took a 9 footer on Kodiak about 3 years back. I used slick trick's 125 gr Razor Tricks. I iused FMJ's with a total arow weight around 500 gr. It sounds like your setup would be very adequate. I used a Mathews monster with 80 lb limbs. I did not need it. 70 lbs would have been plenty! Best of luck

01-Dec-14

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
I would agree your setup sounds fine. The absolute most important part of your hunt will be placement. I would not shoot unless you are sure of a double lung. Anything other then that and you will be tracking a wounded bear. I've done it with several clients and it's not fun. Plus you will probably end up having to kill it with a gun. Have fun, it's a rush!

01-Dec-14
I shot one 2 years ago with a Recurve pulling 67# @ 28" (around 70# at my draw length) using a Cabelas SST 240 arrow with a 150 grain Magnus I, 4 blade broadhead (total arrow weight was 530 grain). Shot it quartering away and stopped in the off side shoulder or I would have had a pass-thru.

01-Dec-14
Lot's of good info here. Shot placement. shot placement, shot placement. I enjoy the preparation for a hunt. I am constantly reseraching for more information. If that sounds like you, buy the book "The perfect shot" and study the anatomy....both vital organs and skeletal structure.

....FullCryHounds X 100..... I'd take a double lung shot over a heart shot...anyday.

If at all possible, get access to a brown bear archery target....or get a black bear target and paint it brown. There are few things that will improve your confidence more as you are drawing on a big brown bear, than being able to say to yourself, I have practiced this shot a thousand times....being able to VISUALIZE a shot that you have actually practiced, has huge benefits, IMO.

Practice various angles. practice holding your bow for a minute or two at full draw, practice taking a shot where you have to acquire your target and release within five or ten seconds....practice for every reasonable contingency that you can imagine.

Plan for challenges. Anticipate what could go wrong, and find solutions in advance. I always try to take a back up bow...and needed it on a grizzly bear bowhunt. As I have aged, my vision is still good, but my pins are getting fuzzy now.....many options here to consider....but I opted for a verifier....but in foggy weather (which is a very real possibility on a brown bear bowhunt), I have an Rx bottle with a snap-on top, taped to the riser of my bow.....and in it, are Q-tips. I either carry one on my ear, or under my hat..... in case the verifier lens ever gets fogged up. A Q-tip can clean it in a second or two....

Good luck....take a camera or two. You're gonna want a million photos (or a video)....afterwards, they'll be worth the effort.

02-Dec-14
Just curious Tyler. Which outfitter service are you using? I used Scott Mileur and did not regret my decision. I say that not just because I got a bear but for the type of guide he is. He's a 100% old school no frills kinda guy. He tenured under Pinnel and Talifson back when those two old guys pretty much had the whole south end of Kodiak. He truly respects those bears and the habitat they live in. I considered it an honor to hunt with him!

02-Dec-14
Man Jaeger, I bet he had some incredible stories... Reading P&T's books as of late, can't imagine what they were like in camp and while hunting.

I'll be using the same setup for them this year as everything else. Sharp two blade head on the end of a gold tip pro hunter, around 400 total grains.

02-Dec-14
Yes Nick he frequently told stories about them. I read "Last of the Great Brown Bear Mean" just before going on my hunt. I was able to see a few of the spots they speak of in their book. Most notable was a waist deep bear trail worn down by decades, if not centuries, of use. Truly a special place for sure. Best of luck to both of you and enjoy every moment!!!!

02-Dec-14
I shoot mine with a Hoyt Alphamax 29" and 100 grains broadheads from Muzzy i hunted with Gus Lamoureaux in the Peninsula. Great guide and great hunt i am looking for another bear hunt but this time, I will like to go to Kodiak.

06-Dec-14
WOW, what an awesome batch of responses. Thank you, All. Lots of encouraging information on here. I see that the overwhelming theme is that my current setup is adequate.

In truth, I was hoping that I'd get more responses advising me to go heavier . . . as I have been considering this for a few years now and just haven't done it. My current setup is ideal for longer shots that are typically presented in Western hunting scenarios, but in truth, I don't take these longer shots. I practice and am quite proficient out to 70 yards, but I have never taken a shot on an animal more than 40 yards. I have killed a lot of archery whitetails on the East coast and have become quite sneaky in the noisy leaves of the East, so it's not difficult for me to sneak in to 40 yards of a feeding target.

With all of that being said, since I don't really see myself gravitating towards these long shots, I think that I'd be better off with more arrow weight for penetration and flight stability in the wind (for my typical Elk and Mulie shots). A brown bear is certainly NOT an animal to take marginal shots on, and I really don't take marginal shots on ANY animal, they deserve more respect than that. Along that thought process, I'll probably only be giving myself the "warm fuzzys" by going heavier, but I think confidence will be a HUGE factor on this hunt. If switching to what, in my mind, is a more ideal setup for such a large animal, then that's probably what I should do. When I step off the float plane, I should NOT be asking myself if I should have gone to a heavier setup.

What do you guys think of my thought process? Am I overanalyzing?

Jaeger63, sending you a PM.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

06-Dec-14
I've had about 6 phone conversations with Scot Miluer over the yeare re: Bears he would be an excellent choice in a Kodiak Outfitter......

Yes.....you are overanalyzing :) but confidence is important all the way to your brand of lip balm.

Outside Africa,give me the best flying arrow over the heaviest EVERYTIME......

19-Dec-14
Not sure where or if you have a outfitter but Jake Jefferson with Black River Camps is a great guide for both Kodiak and interior's. He is at 907-414-9471. I took a 9'-2" interior in 2008 with him.

• Sitka Gear