CurveBow 15-Dec-14
cityhunter 15-Dec-14
Fuzzy 18-Dec-14
Medicinemann 18-Dec-14
SteveB 18-Dec-14
DL 18-Dec-14
BIGHORN 18-Dec-14
05-Dec-14
Just wondering if there are any other big foots out there and what you do for mountain hunting boots. I wear a size 17 or 18 depending on the boots. I am planning a DIY backpack CO elk hunt next year and would like to get some boots and use them on conditioning and scouting activities between now and then and make sure they are broken in and ready to go. I have looked at some of the custom boots but the price tag is pretty steep. Wondering if any manufacturers will make boots in a larger size on a by request basis that you guys have seen. Any info would be helpful.

05-Dec-14
Don't worry about the price because it'll be offset by the fact that you don't need snowshoes.

05-Dec-14
My buddy wears 16 for most boots. If you find a good quality, reasonably priced boot in those bigger sizes, please PM me so that I can pass the info to him.

05-Dec-14
Idyll, thanks for the upside ! LOL

05-Dec-14
orionsbrother,

Danner makes their Mountain Assault in a size 16 as well as a couple others. Keen and Columbia makes some also. When you get to 17 and 18 it gets harder to find.

05-Dec-14
FRS may be a better option.

Foot reduction surgery.

he he he

:-)

05-Dec-14
I'll pass that along to him. Thanks.

If that's the case, then I'll also pass along some abuse for him having complained that he couldn't find boots.

05-Dec-14
"Don't worry about the price because it'll be offset by the fact that you don't need snowshoes."

Or pontoons when you need to cross a stream!

05-Dec-14
You are probably looking at getting some custom boots made. You could also start calling the manufacturers of whatever boots you would like and letting them know your predicament. I had a friend in college that wore size 18s, and he got some great deals on custom made footwear from the big athletic shoe companies.

05-Dec-14
Don't be discouraged by how helpful we've been. If the thread keeps getting bumped, someone will chime in soon with some useful information eventually.

I'm curious how tall you are?

05-Dec-14
Let me ask my friend Bilbo Baggins..

05-Dec-14
Yep, this is why I joined. Info you just can't find anywhere else ! :)

05-Dec-14
Thought this was a tbm thread from the title..good luck on your search

05-Dec-14
I bet u are a big hit with the ladies!!!!!!!

05-Dec-14
Thought this was gonna be about skunk apes

05-Dec-14

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
U know what they say about guys with big feet...they wear big socks!

05-Dec-14

U know what they say about guys with big feet...they wear big socks!

06-Dec-14
Gosh.... maybe Blanding's never heard any of these.... LOL! All in fun....

I know Russell makes custom boots but I don't know how custom they go. Even if those sizes are not listed on their site I still give them a call. If they can't they might know someone who would.

No much help here but TTT....

06-Dec-14
Sorry, but I don't make custom boots anymore, tho I've been known to make custom selfbows.

06-Dec-14
goggle 'size 18 boots' and you'll find some.

08-Dec-14
Been out of town a few days. No problem with a little bit of good natured ribbing, I have heard it all before. I am about 6'3" tall. I currently weigh about 350# down from about 440# and still working on it. Getting in shape to be able to go on this elk hunt is a huge motivator for me. I have googled extensively. I can find work boots, light duty hiking boots, snow boots and various other boots, but no good mountain boots that I think would hold up and support my feet through 10 days packing in and elk hunting. Russell Moccasins does still make a custom boot according to their website, but $$$$. I have sent emails to multiple boot manufacturers and haven't heard back from them. I keep trying though. And big socks aren't any easier to find than big boots. Socks up to size 15 seem to be the biggest that anyone wants to make.

08-Dec-14
"Socks up to size 15 seem to be the biggest that anyone wants to make."

That's because anything larger is considered a pillow case. ;-)

Now, I could have saved us all that last sentence by submitting a "ttt", but that shows so little imagination and it's just plain boring.

You guys that don't appreciate a little levity can just keep moving along.

:-)

08-Dec-14
Go Russell. They make a darned fine boot to your specs, and they last for years (I have really narrow feet so opted the Russell route a number of years ago). Be aware that they don't do goretex, so make sure you put lots of boot grease on and let it soak in, repeat etc, to maximize waterproofing. Also, give them several months to fill your order.

11-Dec-14
Lowa Boots also makes several boots up to a 16 that may be worth looking into. Lowaboots.com they have them on the web site.

Heard back from a couple of manufacturers and all I got was a big negative.

And the search continues.

11-Dec-14
I thought this was gonna be a TBM thread

11-Dec-14
Ha! Thanks Joey!

Good luck to the OP on finding some boots.

14-Dec-14
A friend of mine works for Mason Shoe Co. in Chippewa Falls, Wi. He recommended that you check their website. shoemall.com

14-Dec-14
I have dainty little size 15 feet. I was in Maine this fall and stopped by the new balance outlet. They had up to size 18 in stock. They are not boots but it is encouraging to see adult sizes in stock.

15-Dec-14
If you can find work boots I recommend giving a waterproof pair of them a try. My company buys my work boots so thats what I wear hunting . I have Danners, Rocky, and Wolverine all in safety toe, size 12. I covered 6-7 miles/day this elk season with no problem. There are some quality work boots out there the only issue might be the weight. I'm guessing after lugging your size 17 feet around a few ounces won't hurt much.

15-Dec-14

Peepin Tom's Link
Best boots I ever wore...

15-Dec-14
FOr elk hunting I wear hiking boots. Vasque Sundowners for the first 2 or 3 pairs, now Asolo I think. Not sure what their maximum sizes are.....

>>>>-------->

15-Dec-14
FOr elk hunting I wear hiking boots. Vasque Sundowners for the first 2 or 3 pairs, now Asolo I think. Not sure what their maximum sizes are.....

>>>>-------->

15-Dec-14
good luck on the elk hunt !

18-Dec-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

18-Dec-14
I know that Karl Malone (the former NBA star) is a bowhunter. He had to had a custom made bow built for him, due to his size and draw length. He probably needed boots in a size comparable to yours .....they are obviously available, probably just rare (and potentially expensive).

18-Dec-14
You should have a Red Wing shoe store near you somewhere. They can do it and with great quality.

18-Dec-14
Hats off to you For loosing the weight. Keep going.

18-Dec-14
My 15 year old grandson wears a size 13 shoe. Give him a couple more years and he will have a "big foot".

• Sitka Gear