Mathews Inc.
Kuiu, Core4element Sitka, First lite ???
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Birdman 11-Dec-14
Ermine 11-Dec-14
Hawkeye 11-Dec-14
Ace of Spades 11-Dec-14
Fulldraw1972 11-Dec-14
Jaquomo 11-Dec-14
LUNG$HOT 12-Dec-14
mixed bag 12-Dec-14
Jaquomo 12-Dec-14
bigeasygator 12-Dec-14
kentuckbowhnter 12-Dec-14
LUNG$HOT 13-Dec-14
Elkaddict 17-Dec-14
Elkaddict 17-Dec-14
Jaquomo 17-Dec-14
bighorn 17-Dec-14
fisherick 17-Dec-14
midwest 17-Dec-14
LUNG$HOT 17-Dec-14
Rocky D 17-Dec-14
razorsharp 18-Dec-14
Cheesehead Mike 18-Dec-14
THEBUGLER 18-Dec-14
Nesser 21-Dec-14
gil_wy 22-Dec-14
turkey talker 23-Dec-14
Shug 25-Dec-14
Jason Scott 19-Jan-15
Charlie Rehor 19-Jan-15
kota-man 19-Jan-15
Birdman 19-Jan-15
Wayne Helmick 19-Jan-15
Charlie Rehor 19-Jan-15
Wayne Helmick 19-Jan-15
ELKDIY 19-Jan-15
BOHNTR 19-Jan-15
11-Dec-14
Here we go again, besides a new pack i also want to purchase new quality hunting clothes for mid to late september elk hunt. Been doing a lot of searching but it just seems to get more confusing. Think i'am over thinking it. Like to get pants, jacket, vest & t-shirt. Like the looks of core4element, what do the rest of you fellow archers think ? Any suggestions ?

11-Dec-14
I use firstlite base layers. (Awesome merino wool). Use KUIU outer layers. Great gear

11-Dec-14
First lite is the brand I prefer for my bade but they are all good.

11-Dec-14
I just bought Kuiu.. Good quality for sure and reasonable prices.

11-Dec-14
I am a sitka guy. I use the transverse top, timberline pants and jetstream jacket.

11-Dec-14
You can get good deals right now on Camofire. Sitka and C4Element. I bought a bunch of C4 last spring and have been putting to a hard test since. Thrilled with all of it, tops, bottoms, base layers. Still wearing it now, in December.

12-Dec-14
I bought an entire core4 outfit for my hunt this last sept in Colorado. I love the 1/4 zip midweight shirt with their merino base layer top and stalking cap. Not too thrilled with the fit of the pants though,a little too loose/baggy IMO but good quality for the price especially if you get it on camofire.

12-Dec-14
I LOVE my Sitka clothes for elk hunting.I wear 90% jacket and pants for Sept elk.I have abused this stuff so bad in 5 years that it amazes me that it doesn't have one rip tear or other imperfection.i wear this stuff while driving bear here in Pa.This is crawling thru swamps and the thickest stuff you can imagine and its still in perfect shape.I've taken my Sitka on every hunt I've done from Africa to Alaska and have no complaints

12-Dec-14
Lung$hot, all you need to do is get a little older and gain a little weight and the pants will fit fine!! :)

As I posted on another thread, the C4 36 tall pants fit me better than any other hunting pants I've ever owned. Liked them so much I bought three pairs, from the warm weather to the insulated. I'm wearing the insulated on the plains now, and loved the mid-weight for September elk.

12-Dec-14
Any info on where you're looking to hunt elk? Clothing needs can be somewhat different depending on where you're going...that being said, I own all of those brands and here's what I like:

Baselayer: FL Llano (QZ or Crew). I find the FL merino wool to be the most comfortable on the market. The stuff is quiet, does not itch, and stays relatively scent free. You can wear it as your hunting layer when things heat up.

Mid-layer: FL Chama or Sitka Traverse. Both of these are my go-to hunting layer. Ie, most of the time I'm wearing this layer on the outside coupled with the baselayer.

Pant: FL Kanab or Kuiu Attack. I like both pants a lot for archery elk hunting. The Kuiu has a little more athletic fit whereas the Kanab fit a little looser (I prefer the Kanabs to the Attacks but usually have them both packed).

Vest/Outer Layer/jacket: FL Springer and FL Labrador. The springer is more or less a vest version of the Labrador. When temps drop into the 30s the Labrador is nice. Sometimes I will pair the Labrador and the Springer. They are made with Merino so both are very quiet and warm.

Puffy Layer: FL Uncompaghre or Kuiu Superdown. The FL Uncompaghre is a bit bulkier whereas the Kuiu Superdown has a more athletic fit. You can wear the Superdown as a layer under the Uncompaghre if things got really cold (unlikely in September archery elk season).

Those are my choices for a September elk hunt and typically what find their way into my luggage. I own a bunch of other jackets and layers (from Sitka, Kuiu, FL and others) but I find these work the best for that season. I'd also look into some packable rain gear! Best of luck!

Jason

12-Dec-14
I don't know about the other companies clothing but I used Sitka ascent and timberline pants last fall on a couple elk hunts and I loved the way the fabric stretches with you when you are walking, kneeling, etc. so much more comfortable than jeans or anything else I have used. the other Sitka stuff I used, core, traverse and jetstream jacket were also awesome. good luck.

13-Dec-14
"Lung$hot, all you need to do is get a little older and gain a little weight and the pants will fit fine!! :)"

Dammit Lou, I'm only 5'7 and I'm 30 yrs old. Pretty sure I'm all out of growth spurts at this point. I welcome any solutions to overcome my "vertical" conundrum. :)

17-Dec-14
September elk hunt. Easy Choice.

For the bottom, Sitka Merino bottoms, and Mountain Pants.

On Top I start with Merino base layer, Traverse long sleeve T, 90% Jacket, and finish with the Jetstream vest. Top it off with a Merino, Core, or Traverse Beanie, Ball Cap, and Gloves. I love the Shooter gloves in the mountains.

You can can sub in a Kelvin jacket and/or a Traverse Hoody if spending more time sitting, etc.

17-Dec-14
Lots of options to mix and match different layers for differing conditions and hunting techniques. Sitka is amazingly functional, fit, durable, and adaptable.

17-Dec-14
LUNG$HOT, there's still plenty of time to expand horizontally if you work at it a little!

17-Dec-14
All the products you listed are great products. I've been wearing KUIU great product at a fair price no complaints. Holding up to rugged use.

17-Dec-14
In the past couple years I've purchased most of the Core4 line (except raingear) from Camofire and have been completely satisfied. My favorite pieces are the merino wool, Element pants and down vest.

17-Dec-14
I still haven't wore out my Cabela's microtex. Lightweight, dry fast, relatively cheap.

17-Dec-14
"LUNG$HOT, there's still plenty of time to expand horizontally if you work at it a little!"

Lmao! Wrong in so many ways! With 7 kids already that's the last thing I need!

17-Dec-14
I do not know if there is a best of everything. I doubt it.

As far as merino wool goes FL has been best for me. Also there is a lot of good merino but FL is outstanding and absolutely durable.

There are better down coats and vest on the market but not with the nifty camouflage.

I am partial to Kuiu down but if your were sitting on a treestand I would be going for the fanatic jacket and bibs.

I would suspect most would not want to mix outer garments it may come to what you prefer on camouflage.

personally money would be the driver for me to go to core4 but I am always thinking that even though I am planning an elk hunt it would be the same thing that I would be taking on a sheep hunt.

most of these clothes are cut on a certain model so when you go to outer layers and insulation to wind and rain stopper I try to stick to one brand.

18-Dec-14
The first light wool pants rip easily in the knee. Other than that, I love them.

18-Dec-14
I have Sitka and Core4 and like it all.

I also have several pairs of Cabela's microtex pants. They're a good affordable option but I find that the crotch wears out in them right where the seams come together long before any other part of them does.

18-Dec-14
Out of those choices I have only used Sitka, and will continue to :) I have been very happy with their products.

21-Dec-14
I've been using Sitka for 6 years and love it. I really like their merino base layers for fit, function and comfort. 60 plus days in the field this summer/fall and nothing needs replacing. Great stuff

22-Dec-14
I love Sitka... Pricey but I've tried all of the other stuff and Sitka is the best IMHO.

For September and October, I like the Ascend pants, Core T w/ Traverse top with a Jetstream Vest... That handles 95% of my needs. I can throw the Ascend jacket on top and I haven't encountered any weather this wouldn't handle. I do have the Mountain Pants but they are a little heavy for warm weather.

23-Dec-14
How does the vest of a fanatic compare to the jacket, as far as sizing? I can't find a fanatic jacket to try on, but have a vest, and want to know how sizing is so I can put the jacket under it.

25-Dec-14
Make sure what you order is in stock.

I ordered from Kuiu in eary October and I'm still waiting on 1/2 of the order.

19-Jan-15
That is why I have never ordered from Kuiu.

19-Jan-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
All Sitka all the time!

19-Jan-15
Charlie...Isn't wearing Forest and Open Country together a hunting fasion faux pas? :)

I have a ton of Sitka, KUIU, Kryptek and First Lite. (No core4) I have my favorites from all four of these companies. I would put Kyptek and Core4 in the same category of the stuff I've looked at, not quite in the same league as Sitka, KUIU or First Lite. Just my opinion though...You can usually get Core4 at great buys though. Not that I don't think Kryptek and Core4 is good gear, to me it just isn't the same quality as KUIU, Sitka or First Lite.

19-Jan-15
Made my choice, bought sitka, mountain pants , traverse zip t , jet stream vest, long sleeve t & bottoms, just wondering about snaps on cargo pockets on mountain pants , seem awful weak, is this the norm or should i call about exchanging them ?

19-Jan-15
In the same picture we have the walking Sitka advertisement and the Walmart Man. Do you feel like you have an advantage Charlie?

19-Jan-15
Wayne: BB has killed 38 bull elk with arrow! I have no advantage in that regard:) However, while on the dance floor at the local watering hole I am asked to dance every song:)) Something about that Sitka Gear!!

19-Jan-15
Cool. Hoping you would see the humor. You do look pretty. One question though, you never said exactly what it was that was asking you to dance. ha ha.

19-Jan-15
Have used Sitka for years. Now a Kuiu fan. Great merino and the super down is some light weight warm gear. Durable pants and reliable rain gear.

19-Jan-15
Kuiu all the way......I own all of the "big four" company's stuff. I prefer Kuiu over all of them......additionally they support archery organizations like no other, IMO. (CBH, P&Y, etc.)

• Sitka Gear