Bowsage 15-Dec-14
WV Mountaineer 15-Dec-14
Bowsage 16-Dec-14
itsmyfirstday 18-Dec-14
fen tiger 19-Dec-14
JRW 19-Dec-14
fen tiger 19-Dec-14
12-Dec-14
Anyone ever use a whisker biscuit on a recurve.

12-Dec-14
Why would you want to? These tests are for wheels.

12-Dec-14
I can't see any useful purpose of using one on a single stringer.

12-Dec-14
One reason would be Arrow is always contained. No worry about falling of rest.

12-Dec-14
Not to mention at Whisker biscuit would look really ugly on a recurve. Some things should just not be tampered with. Shoot feathers off the shelf and that's all you need.

12-Dec-14
If your using a sight and have a cut out riser I don't see why not. They don't work very good with none cut out risers, which not many recurves have. The other thing is it might interfere with seeing the tip of your arrow if you are using any type of bare bow sighting method that requires the I.E. gap shooting.

12-Dec-14
I've thought about putting one on my wife's recurve. She uses a sight and is currently shooting off the shelf but I think things would work better if I had an elevated rest on it. If you do it let us know how it works.

12-Dec-14
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was shooting a recurve with a whisker biscuit...it seemed to work for him. His recurve was a newer, all metal riser model, so it looked ok on there too.

12-Dec-14
Bear. "falling off the rest" during the draw or falling off the rest any time?

If falling off the rest during the draw, just slant the bow 10degrees away from the arrow, or more during the draw.

If just when the bow is hanging and the issue may be the wind, attach an shaft holder that can be attached to the riser and if attach to the rear, the arrow should pop off during the draw.

12-Dec-14
If your arrow is falling off the shelf, your not drawing the bow properly. Just that simple.

No idea how you would properly tune a bow with that much play in the rest and shelf which is what you'd have with such a set up.

Just another fix for something that isn't broke.

12-Dec-14
To each his own. I like the idea and have been considering machining an ILF riser with offset and shelf better suited for the use of them. Not Trad but not trying to be.

12-Dec-14
This is what I did for arrow containment on my recurve. I took a tip of a feather fletching and lightly glued it to the shelf. It lays down when the arrow passes thru

I can tilt my recurve left and right without the arrow falling off.

Works for me

photo rest1_zps2d2ec19c.jpg

photo rest2_zpsef1b1434.jpg

13-Dec-14
I wouldnt be able to use it due to blocking my sight picture.

You will want to use a release aid also if you do go with the biscuit but the whole thing just sounds like a bad idea to me but whatever.

13-Dec-14
an abomination :)

13-Dec-14
You could probably use a WB, but you'd need to use a release. Shooting through one with fingers would cause horrible arrow flight because of the arrow bending around the riser

13-Dec-14
Dude, a WB on a recurve is like Oakley sunglasses on the Mona Lisa. Just ain't right. Seriously though, try whatever you like. I'm just joking around.

13-Dec-14
I was thinking it would be like considering a three pin compound sight on a blackpowder gun....I'd did see a recurve on E-Bay with WB, all set up !

13-Dec-14
Sta-Jac arrow holder works great for holding an arrow on a bow. It pops off out of the way as you start drawing the arrow.

13-Dec-14
I don't have a problem with arrow falling of rest. I've shot compound for over 30 years and used whisker biscuits for the past 10 and think it's the greatest. The recurve I just bought has an offset rise. I've only seen recurves with straight risers stick on rests and plunger buttons. I don't consider myself a traditionalist just thought it would be fun to shoot something different and if I got good enough with it may try a little whitetail hunting with it. I agree that a whisker buscuit may look ugly on there and I'm reconsidering that. Just not sure what's available for cut out risers.

13-Dec-14
Moving from compounds IS different . Stickbows are set up different than compounds. Whisker biscuit is an arrow containment system, keeps the arrow in place. Proper form with stickbows eliminates the need for such a thing. Have at it! Good luck! I'm not gonna beat this horse anymore :)

13-Dec-14
When you draw a recurve using a tab, the arrow is forced against the riser.

I can't see the WB working very well unless a release is used because the arrow will be forced into the bristles when drawing it.

13-Dec-14
A whisker biskit may work well if you chose to shoot Blazer vanes.

13-Dec-14
I have used wb with fingers no problems just half to paper tune like any other rest and shoot feathers with no problems even out of my compound they hold up just fine nothing wrong with experimenting. real turkey feathers are the best.

13-Dec-14
I love the whisker biscuit. I do a lot of slip hunting and it will hold my arrow just right. If it makes for a better tool to have on a recurve then who cares what it looks like as long as it helps make the hunt more enjoyable and works!

13-Dec-14
I dont get it.

13-Dec-14
The owner of On-Target Archery in Steger, Illinois uses a Whisker Biscuit on his rental recurves that he uses with youth carbons arrows with plastic vanes. For the young kids in beginner archery classes, they seem to work okay. Years ago, Whisker Biscuit use to market a Bowfishing model. The entire ring was filled with the heavy, black support bristles to support a heavy fish arrow. IMO, it may work on a recurve for Bowfishing.

13-Dec-14
DC, I would like to know what is "slip hunting"? "when you draw a recurve using a tab, the arrow is forced against the riser" NOT.... there are too many armchair QBs out there, the OP wanted to know if a WB would work on a recurve, He failed to mention in his initial post it would be for a metal riser probably one like the Martin jaguar, Yes it will bolt right up to it, would I use it He!! no, it just aint right. and YES you would have to use a release as the string ROLLS off your fingers using a tab or glove, where a release lets the string go in a straight line, which is why a WB is ideally setup for a compound.

13-Dec-14
Most of us who shoot recurve use an arrow holder to keep an arrow from falling off the rest. I also have a Sta-Jac arrow holder but there all kinds. Check out the Leatherwall.

Seems to me, getting the arrow as close as possible to center using a Biscuit would be "Mission Impossible", unless you have a riser that will accommodate a Biscuit.

14-Dec-14
I've shot compounds with fingers for 30 years, but now shoot and hunt with recurve bows off the shelf for the last 11 years. But I do occasionally shoot a modern compound bow with fingers, Whisker Biscuit, Berger button, sights, with plastic or feather arrows just fine. I believe that combo would work fine on a metal riser recurve bow, but may interfere with your sight picture if you shoot instinctive.

14-Dec-14
If the riser cut is appropriate enough to allow mounting the arrow in line, the bristles, finger release, all the stuff you guys are getting hung up on won't matter. As the bow will be center shot and the arrow dead in line with the center shot line of the bow. Finger loose or release won't matter. If the rest can be mounted center shot, it will work, and work much better than the standard recurve as far as consistency is concerned.

To the OP, if it can be mounted center shot, your golden. If not, you'll likely never get it right. Give it a whirl. I think it would be awesome. God Bless

14-Dec-14
I'm with WV Mountaineer, it has to be the right bow but it can work on the bows that have a compound style riser.

14-Dec-14
I can't imagine a biscuit being able to handle archer's paradox. But maybe if you had a center cut riser and were shooting a release it might work.

14-Dec-14
What paradox are you guys speaking of? If the arrow is being shot down the center line, meaning the riser is cut to allow the string and arrow to be in line, there will be no need for a weak shaft to bend around the riser! Hence, eliminating or dang near eliminating the weaker spined shafts needed to shoot a bunch of traditional bows cut short of or, just past center, accurately! Therefore paradox is nearly eliminated! A good finger release is possible. Just not as consistent. A release aid offers ZERO necessity or benefit here. At least not in the context you guys are implying. God Bless

14-Dec-14
Well I must admit I didn't give the Whisker Biscuit a lot of thought on a recurve before I answered. I do love it on my compound. I shoot of the self with my stick bow. I shoot off a flipper rest with my recurve. I had not thought much about the biscuit blocking my view so I tried a few shot to think it over. I guess it would depend on your style of shooting and whether you used reference marks, looked over the shaft or down the shaft. If you use the gap method or not. So I don't really have an answer except to give it a try and see.

Now for slip hunting. Some call it spot and stalk. It is where you move through the woods with such devoted intent to sneak up on an area that holds deer and seeing them first before they see you that you can then attempt the spot and stalk method. The woods are thick here and it takes a lot of patience and determination to pull off a slip hunt. Most people will get in a hurry or give up on getting close to deer on the ground. I have watched deer stand in one spot for an hour before committing to the next move. Try having that much patience. I got within 50 yard of a borderline pope & young 8 point yesterday on the ground and got some great footage of him but could not get a good shot on him. He never knew I was there.

14-Dec-14
I didn't mention paradox nor release aid . I can tell you that ALL of my arrows bend around the strike plate on all of my stickbows.... archers paradox. Compounds are center shot which works well with a WB and a release aid IS beneficial. Head over to youtube WVM.. take a look at archers paradox, then you will know what we are speaking of.

14-Dec-14
I just went back through this thread and found and accident waiting to happen! An arrow nocked on a recurve while "slip" hunting is a poor safety practice . A good way to bleed to death if you trip. Tighten up DC!

14-Dec-14
bowsage, I know what paradox is. Read once again what I am saying.

Center shot is the key! Not the dang release! Not the whisker biscuit has bristles. CENTER SHOT. I'm not guessing here. I have shot several deer off a center shot compound with finger loose. No release needed. I've shot even more off of short of center to past center traditional bows. The fact it is center shot will make it far more forgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No flippin' release needed. No worry about the bristle's on the WB. If it is a center shot riser, regardless of the bow type. It does not MATTER. If it is set up right, it will shoot. And it will require a stiffer spine than if shot off the riser! No need for excessive paradox.

Fellas, it isn't rocket science. God Bless

14-Dec-14
It looks like I said about the same thing, simplified without screaming.

14-Dec-14
When the string comes off your fingers it rolls off to the left for a righty, right for a lefty. Center shot or not. Thats why I would recommend the release aid if one has some crazy notion to put a WB on a recurve.

Now that doesnt mean the WB wont 'work', even without a release aid, it just seems like more trouble than its worth if not a major handicap but, to each his own. I guess I havent had any issues with the arrow falling off the shelf.

If holding the arrow against the shelf is what your trying to do, I think the other options are much better.

14-Dec-14
Like I said earlier, machine a riser for it. He get's beat up here a bit, but the bow Andy Ross is promoting now is kinda similar. I think cool travel bow concept. Pretty sure you can get the Biscuit replacements for both bowfishing an hunting. If the housing is the same you can change them out or just have two set up in a way you can take them on and off the bow without losing tune. Not trying to trad, just a cool take down travel bow concept. For me trad is wood and one off bespoke custom. Yes, I know we make risers but that doesn't change what I say. For trad,I like wood....and maybe snake skins.

15-Dec-14
Centershot may not exactly be the key....past center would be ideal as the arrow will still bend around the riser since you have to take into consideration the diameter of the arrow. Past center would allow you to adjust to centershot by adjusting sideplate provided you are far enough past center to enable that...seems like a lot of hassle just to avoid good shooting form....each to his own... have fun.

15-Dec-14
Bowsage, I said the same thing the second time as the first time. It took the explanation points for you to see that.

BTW, center shot is just a term used to describe a bow that shoots an arrow in line with the string. So, they are already cut past center to allow the rest to be setup center shot!!!!!!!! :^)

God Bless

15-Dec-14
Bowsage, It just doesn't make sense to slip hunt with an unloaded gun. Why would you not have your arrow knocked and ready for a shot. Been doing it for many years now and I don't see any danger in shooting myself with the bow or stabbing myself, even if I fall down to the ground.

15-Dec-14
Bowsage was worried you might 'slip' DC. HeHeHe!

15-Dec-14
The answer is simple DC why I don't walk around with a nocked arrow, safety.

Is that you echoing Wvm?

The difference between me and you Wv is that I'm trying to be helpful and you are trying to be right.

15-Dec-14
Bowsage, I really don't want to argue over stupid things. So, let me finish my presence here by saying I'd agree with your last post if I were wrong, or we were saying something opposing. My whole point from post two has been to point out we were/are saying basically the same thing. Albeit, with some dry humor thrown in but, no harm meant. Just having a good time. It really doesn't matter as long as the OP gets the right info. Which he has.

Why you are taking this so personal and feel you need to defend your choices and differentiate our responses, when it is apparent we both agree, tells me you are doing as you charge. Life is short bro. Too short to argue over dumb stuff. And I have zero compulsion to do that to prove something that somebody besides me, long ago, has already proven. So, it isn't about me being right in the least bit.

God Bless fellas and Merry Christmas.

16-Dec-14
....like i said.....

18-Dec-14
i shoot recurve with a whisker biscuit, finger shooting, it just makes it nice to not have to deal with feathers in my opinion im not a fan of feathers or flu flus or wood, just not as tough as carbon and i can go buy arrows wherever i need, and even if you have a cut to center shelf you can set the biscuit to hug the side of the shelf and set your knocks correctly , you look down mine it shoots on center,shoots very well for me, just my 2 cents, and i shoot a cheap omp risor with samick sage limbs at 55#, shoots great and i like it alot

19-Dec-14
My Dorado was set up with DLoop, peep, kisser, WB rest, 5 pin compound sights and shot with a release. My fingers were/still are gimpy despite numerous procedures.

If I am correct the Dorado is the only American made riser that will allow you to shoot the NAP Centerest Flipper without modification at true centershot!

Transitioning from wheels to a single string the Dorado set up a la compound allowed me to hunt as I tried to master BB fingers recurve. Thinking of recurve as wheelie back-up.

As an added bonus the boss lady has encouraged me to hunt during HER holidays as no extra case for my luggage is required. Oct Florida wedding she allowed me 2 days piggy hunting;-]

AS mentioned true centershot rests dispel all kinds of myths left over from the days of trying to bend cedar fence posts around yew trunks off your mitts.

PS briefly tried stringwalking with a WB rest with a notch cut out so that I could see the arrow tip. Maybe the bristles would act somewhat similar to my adjustable BB recurve springy rests. Needs work!

19-Dec-14
If you've ever seen slow motion video of archers paradox you'd know why a whisker biscuit isn;t a good idea for a finger shooter.

19-Dec-14
Stiff carbon arrows shot from true centre show remarkably little flex and the recovery is short. Not the same "WOW" factor as a cut to riser with a limp woody video.

WVM is right arrow paradox has to with arrow dynamic spine and finger paradox has to do with string deflection.

With the new "super recurve" very stable/stiff limbs the old truisms are being challenged especially in area of tune possible with differing arrows and rests.

Newer recurve designs are heading closer toward wheelie rest/nock geometry.

• Sitka Gear