bow shot 16-Dec-14
Mule Power 17-Dec-14
Brotsky 17-Dec-14
bow shot 18-Dec-14
bow shot 18-Dec-14
Woodsman416 18-Dec-14
13-Dec-14
Looking for this:

If you have been using the Sitka fanatic system, hunting in a TREESTAND, I'd like to know these things:

1) Temperature through your hunts 2) average sit time 3) your comfort level.

Why am I asking? I have a system with which I am content, and will not likely change it (reasons include cost). But I have several folks that are not willing to do what I do, and want something that will give them what I have now: napping-level comfort in very cold temperature (0-15 degrees). I keep hearing Sitka buzz and would like to hear from EXPERIENCED users. But NOT if you can't provide the details.

For example, like so: Temp: 20-30 f 10-15 mph wind Duration: 4 hours Comfort level: I'll be warm enough to go longer. Not shivering or longing to leave. Or.. Warm as toast all day. Or.. about the same as XYZ that I used before

NOT this:

"Where I hunt it gets real cold but I stay warm"

Thanks folks. I just don't want to steer friends based on marketing, and who knows, if the feedback is good I may go that way.

13-Dec-14
Bow Shot-good post as I am considering the Sitka Fanatic next year as well. I notice that 20-30 range with a brisk wind that Ill be "cold" by 10 AM. I still sit but have to kick in the mental games. Evening hunts are no big deal but those mornings get to me when Im there 7-8 hours.

I currently have Gray Wolf clothes and layer like this.

1)First Lite Llanno Top and smart wool bottom with Cabelas liner socks

2)Then First Lite Chama and Allegheny bottom with thick cabelas wool socks

3) First lite Springer vest no other bottoms

4) Gray wold insulated vest no other bottoms

5) Gray wolf insulated coat and bibs with Danner 1000gram boots

Other Items: Hand warmer muff with warmers (probably the single most important thing that helps me)

Hat: Stocking cap

My goal this year as will have another baby is to sit ALL DAY on the limited days I will have to hunt. Thus, want to really get it right.

Hoping to add a fanatic line and a layer of down but am on the fence now between the KUIU and the Kelvin by Sitka for the mid layer????

Thanks guys

13-Dec-14
I've sat in my Fanatic in a Kansas tree all day that topped out at 13F. Light wind. Sat in a ground blind with my son for a week till noon at -4 to +4 no heater no problem. Boots are more of a problem than the Fanatic.

13-Dec-14
Pat, did you have your mouse boots on?

Ok.. that's part of the rub that gets me… I hear from the "scientists" that if your hand and feet get cold, that means your core is too cold…

That said, I have VERY little faith in or respect for what is called, in this age, science

13-Dec-14
Pat-what under layers did you wear on that hunt?

13-Dec-14
I wear the traverse layer then the Kelvin layer (insulation) then the Fanatic. If you then get cold you should likely get out of the elements.

Remember the key is being able to draw and release without interference as well and that's where the Sitka system shines.

I hunt Illinois daily from Christmas until mid-January so I experience really cold weather. The wind speed is the controlling factor to getting cold.

Good luck Hawkeye!!

13-Dec-14
I have been using the Sitka layering system for three years now. All I can say is that I will never buy anything else.

I hunt in the northeast primarily. Last weekend was a high of 12 with 20-30 MPH winds. I was warm and comfortable with my Sitka Fanatic gear. I sat from 6:15 until 9:30 and could have sat longer with this gear in the noted temperatures.

Base layers: under armour cold season leggings and top.

Mid layer: Merino Sitka shirt. Kelvin down pants. Traverse top.

Top: Fanatic bibs and fanatic jacket.

Sitka stratus beenie. Hand muffs.

All I can say is that it gets tough if you have to move too much. I knew I was sitting for the morning and would not be moving, otherwise I would overheat.

I have sat in minus 20 with consistent winds up to 25 MPH and have been comfortable in the Incinerator suit. There is no question this jacket and bib combo is the warmest on the market.

I second what folks have said about hands and feet. These are often the first to go. I have found the muff with handwarmers to keep me going, but feet are often the issue. I know my core is not cold because when my hands can't take it i will put them inside my coat against my chest to warm up from my body heat.

What is everyone's best secret for warm feet when trying to sit all day?

13-Dec-14
Fellas, if you keep these kind of threads up, I'm going to buy some of this Sitka stuff. God Bless

13-Dec-14
My coldest this year is -15. Sat 4 hours and was comfortable. I had a Kuiu super down jacket under my fanatic. Finally got down when I sent my wife a pic of icicles in my eye lashes. She told me to "get my @#! home". I complied! Ha!

14-Dec-14
As far as feet, There is no secret because everyone is different with respect to cold tolerance and circulation to extremities. These things change as we age, too.

I ice fish with a guy who wears tennis shoes on the ice, and claims his feet never get cold. I fish with others who can't handle it for more than a couple hours wearing Mickey Mouses.

For stationary hunting in extreme cold (or ice fishing as cold as -40) my best boots are a pair of Proline Blizzard Plus boots with thinsulate imbedded within the rubber bottom half, with a removable reflective felt liner. They have the best features of a Mickey Mouse with the added benefit of removable liners to dry out at night.

14-Dec-14
I'm from northern Canada and I use this, stanfield merino wool one piece, Traverse hoody, Incinerator suit, wool/thinsulate fingerless mitts, the ones that cover your fingers, hunter socks extreme and electric boots because my feet are the week link. I cannot wear the jacket to the stand as it is way to hot at -20c so its in my pack until I get in the stand. I'm usually good for 6-7 hours and the only thing that makes me go home is COLD feet. Thinking of pack boots next year.

14-Dec-14
As far as feet, There is no secret because everyone is different with respect to cold tolerance and circulation to extremities. These things change as we age, too.

I ice fish with a guy who wears tennis shoes on the ice, and claims his feet never get cold. I fish with others who can't handle it for more than a couple hours wearing Mickey Mouses.

For stationary hunting in extreme cold (or ice fishing as cold as -40) my best boots are a pair of Proline Blizzard Plus boots with thinsulate imbedded within the rubber bottom half, with a removable reflective felt liner. They have the best features of a Mickey Mouse with the added benefit of removable liners to dry out at night.

15-Dec-14
For keeping feet warm, I have used Boot Blankets thatzip on over my boots. I wear Lacrosse Burly, air bob soles and polymeric foam insulation. Kinda old school, but 1) the foam is warmer for me that thinsulate insulation and 2) the air bob sole is the BEST sole I have used in the woods for grip on leaves and snow. I have multiple pairs and also use a boto dryer daily after use.

In the Boot Blankets, I have placed hand warmers both under the toe area and above it too.

Like others, I too am going to die someday of cold hands & feet!

I have used Sitka Kelvin vest, jacket & pants sitting for 5 hours this year at 20f with a ~10 mph wind with higher gusts. I was toasty warm, but almost expired from overheating getting to the spot! : )

I just ordered a 2014 model Fanatic jacket. I love Sitka gear!!

>>>>-------->

15-Dec-14
This was a morning in KS year, fanatic jacket and stratus bibs with layers got me though an all day sit...

15-Dec-14
I love my Sitka Fanatic stuff. Still trying to figure out the best layering underneath it.

I always feel like I have to layer up like crazy, but maybe less is more. . . I'm still testing

Anyways, my coldest sit of this year was 2 degrees when I got into the stand. Warmed up to around 10 degrees mid-day when I finally got down about 1 p.m. 6-10 mph wind.

I was not warm until the sun came up and it warmed up to about 10. I was not freezing either. I was at that spot between comfort and uncomfortable. I was able to sit there, and could have sat all day if necessary, but I killed at mid-day so got down.

Another cold sit with it was 8 or 9 degrees, with a biting 10-15 mph wind right into my face. I was cold, and could have toughed it out, but left around 9:30 to get to work

Bake

15-Dec-14
I should mention, both of those hunts were in November, and I wasn't really acclimated to the cold yet. I feel like my body adjust throughout the season, and late season, I feel like I can be more comfortable on stand with the same clothes that I was cold in during early season hunts

That may be bullcrap, but it's what I think :)

15-Dec-14
My coldest hunt to date with the Fanatic was about 8F when I got into the stand. 15-18MPH winds in the morning. Got up to Mid 20s and winds howling by noon.

I sat till 2:30. My core never really did get cold. I use a large chemical hand warmer in the pouch with light gloves. Can't stand bulk on hands.

My feet were cold. I had 7mm Aeros on and I opted for the toe warmer. 90% sure my feet sweated early and screwed me for the rest of the day.

My feat were cold.

My knees were always cold in my old stuff. No matter what I did my knees got cold early. I've NOT YET had this issue with the fanatic.

TOP & BOTTOM Base is 200 Icebreaker Traverse Mid layer- I like the thumb holes. Jacket/Bib.

I've not experimented with any additional insulation(kelvin or similar)

I have room for it in the jacket, but I think the bibs would be tight.

I noticed a huge difference in the sizing between Large and X-Large. I opted for the XL jacket since I wanted the room to not feel "bound-up" when I was drawing a bow. XL bibs were huge. Stayed with Large for them. 5'11" 200lb

Its a good jacket/bib setup. I've not had sound be an issue as others have said with the windstopper fabric. In fact until Pat mentioned it in the other thread, I wouldn't have even thought of it.

Now for the other end. I've gotten hot in this stuff. Its not meant for walking at all. Has leg vents but nothing on the jacket. Walk slow if you are wearing it in. I hate putting bibs on when I get somewhere although the leg zips work well. Just something about walking through the woods with briars on in my underwear in the dark seems a bit wrong.

Hope my rambling helps

15-Dec-14
Would the fanatic be the best all round jacket for us inTn. 1800 ft elevation temps from 10 to 40 just layer differently.and would you use the fanatic bibs Lewis

15-Dec-14
+1 for not walking in to your stand with this stuff on. Many of my stands require fairly lengthy walks. I always pack in my fanatic and insulation layers and put them on when I get to the tree. I prefer to be cold on the way in as opposed to sweating. This makes a world of difference 2 hours into a sit in very cold temps.

15-Dec-14
Lewis, in those temps I might look more to the Fanatic top and stratus bibs/pants. The Fanatic bibs in my opinion are serious overkill unless it is extremely cold. I only wear my stratus pants no matter how cold it gets. Just throw on an extra base layer for really cold temps.

15-Dec-14
Thanks did'nt want to hijack any threads.Lewis

16-Dec-14
Good intel folks, thanks kindly!

Curious that no one has mentioned using the Blizzard stuff for crazy cold rather than Fanatic… but then I did ask about the Fanatic stuff...

16-Dec-14
bow shot...I think the Incinerator is actually a better treestand option in the "crazy cold" than the Blizzard. The Incinerator at least has a softer low nap fleece covering making it a "little" bit quieter than the Blizzard.

Neither of these are remotely close to the Fanatic in the "quietness" department.

16-Dec-14
I have the older incinerator jacket. I can wear two base layers and be comfortable at temps below 20F. For temps around 0 and less, I add the kelvin vest (inside) and stay warm. Keeping my hands, head, and feet warm are a bigger issue than keeping warm with the jacket.

16-Dec-14
So I normally wear a size Medium jacket. Would I be wise buying a large so I can layer and not compress like a kelvin jacket/vest?

16-Dec-14

SteveB's Link
FEET: Best answer is to pack in the insulated "jackets" that go over your boots or shoes. Those solve the cold feet problem on stand.

Here is one at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Icebreaker-Insulated-Boot-Blanket-Overboots/748998.uts

16-Dec-14
I start using my fanatic jacket when the temps start to dip into the low forty's. If the temps are warmer than that I get too warm.

I add my fanatic bibs when the temps hit the low 30's. As for layering I usually just wear a light to midweight merino base layer.

When the temps are in the low 20's I add the kelvin jacket and pants. I wear a medium in both the fanatic and the kelvin. It is snug but I still have plenty of mobility to shoot comfortably.

As the temps get into the single digits and below this setup will let me hunt for a couple hours. I wont be warm but I will be out there. What I have moved to under these conditions is the Cabelas stand hunter coveralls.

When I am hunting I like don't like of hint of chill seeping into my body. My hands are never cold wearing a merino glove and using the chemical handwarmers and the fanatic pouch. On my feet I use thermacell footbeds and icebreaker over boots.

All of the above mentioned temperatures include at least 10 mph winds because the wind always blows in south dakota

16-Dec-14
For really really cold temps the secret is wearing warm bibs. They keep cold air from seeping in from the bottom of the jacket. I use the stratus bibs with one or two base layers underneath.

16-Dec-14
It looks like incinerator or blizzard is how I would go for bibs…

Does anyone find "noisy" bibs acceptable if the jacket/parka is "totally" silent? Or is it the general consensus that noisy bibs just won't hack it silence, even if the upper wear is "noiseless"?

In my case its been the jacket/parka that generates the noise. I actually wear a frog togs bottom over my wool bibs, and its been ok for me for years. Yes, I often hunt in dead silent woods… very (0f) cold, hardwoods, and snow on the ground.

I'll say though, that I need 50y of warning to get away with it. If a deer was directly under the tree… Nope.

17-Dec-14
One time I waited out a late season buck until I thought they might have to come defrost me to take me home. Then.... here he comes. I would draw my bow about 6 inches and my muscles would twitch and refuse to draw the bow.

I know one thing: There's no such thing as too warm on stand. Man I'd like to be able to feel and check out the outer material on that Blizzard.

17-Dec-14
Mule Power, if you hunt where the wind blows you won't have any issues at all with the Blizzard. Most of the noise complaints come from folks who obviously hunt in places where the wind doesn't blow. Where I live the wind is always blowing. I could wear a suit made out of potato chip bags and still not make too much noise most of the time as hard as the wind blows here. If you live in a similar area I would worry more about warm than loud.

18-Dec-14
Agreed on the wind-blowing thing, for sure. One area I hunt is a wind tunnel and I get away with murder. Nearby, its graveyard silent... that's where I ran into the "my feather was too loud" thing, lol!!!

18-Dec-14
... for all I know he caught my scent and it LOOKED like the noise spooked him.. or both.. who knows?

18-Dec-14
Camofire is going to have Fanatic bibs listed later on today.

• Sitka Gear