PSUhoss 21-Dec-14
Willieboat 21-Dec-14
TurkeyBowMaster 21-Dec-14
Mad Trapper 23-Dec-14
Longshaft 23-Dec-14
danevans 26-Dec-14
danevans 26-Dec-14
14-Dec-14
I am currently using a single pin HHA slider. I like being able to dial the pin to the yard, but have found that when sitting in a tree stand, especially during rut/chase hunting that having more than 1 pin may be a bettered route. Still like the slider idea tho. Any helpful insight? I prefer shooting less than 40 at white tails anyway, so maybe should just go to a 3 pin fixed. What are thoughts on this?

Craig

14-Dec-14
I used a single pin BG Ascent for 2 seasons. I still use that sight for 3D, but I've switched to the 3 pin Ascent for hunting. Pins are 20, 30, and 40, with the 40 being the slider. Just feel more comfortable/confident with the 3 pin vs. the single pin for hunting.

14-Dec-14
I have a 5 pin slider from MBG. For me, the slider is overkill. My top pin is 30 yards. Than 40, 50, 60 70. It's fun to shoot but I don't think I'll ever use the slider hunting.

14-Dec-14
My insight is that I wouldn't want a slider from a treestand....

An advantage of a multi pin sight from a treestand is that you can "chart" the course of your arrow using your other pins vs overhanging branches,etc.....

14-Dec-14
i like the slider setup. im running three pins 30/40/50 with the dial out to 85 FOR PRACTICE. i dont turn the dial while hunting.

14-Dec-14
I too have the 3 pin BG and like it very well.

14-Dec-14
I went from a single pin HHA ( still use it on my back up), to a CBE tek hybrid 5 pin this past year. I have the pins 20-60 and marks out to 110.

It has been great, although i had to put loc tite on every darn screw to keep them from coming loose! Since that has been taken care of, it is great.

14-Dec-14
Excellent point: "An advantage of a multi pin sight from a treestand is that you can "chart" the course of your arrow using your other pins vs overhanging branches,etc...."

14-Dec-14
I shoot a Black Gold 5 pin slider (20-30-40-50-60) and the 60 slides to 100. I have forgotten to re-set it 3 times and subsequently missed easy shots later...this down side for me way outweighs any long shot possibities.....I am looking for another sight!! I let myself be peer-pressured into this setup by some guys who routinely shoot at big game regularly over 120 yards.....misses and wounds....poor decision making on my part.

Joe

14-Dec-14
I am not a slider type of guy. To me it adds a step in the heat of the moment. But to each there own. If I was in your shoes and limiting myself to 40 yards I would go with a 3 pin fixed sight. My top pin would be set at 30 and then 40 and 50 yard pins. I like a larger pin guard for 2 reasons. A larger target view and I get by with a larger peep.

14-Dec-14
Thanks for all the replies! Definitely some things to think about.

14-Dec-14
I am not a multi pin guy either as I like a very clean site picture. Used to shoot a multi pin slider and went back to the single. I set my hha at 30 yards and am good to go from 0 to about 35.

If there is a reason to shoot further, you typically have time to make an adjustment in my experience.

14-Dec-14
I also use a 4 pin Black Gold Accent slider. I put the bottom pin for 50 yards in the center of the housing and slide that for anything longer. I allows for the best of both worlds.

In the heat of the moment you can simply put the pin needed on the target. When you are taking longer shots you generally have more time and definitely need to range exact distance you'll set the slider to.

Only draw back is that it's easy to forget to reset the sight after adjusting to a longer distance. It takes a few mistakes and lots of practice on the 3D range to retrain if you are used to just using a multi pin sight.

Cheers, Pete

14-Dec-14
I like the 3 pin slider because it allows you to adjust all three pins for the conditions. If they are set up for 20, 30, 40 yds they can be also adjusted to fit 30, 40, 50 and so on.

14-Dec-14
I have a spot Hogg tommy hogg 5 pin. I really like it.

15-Dec-14
When sitting in a tree stand, I use a single pin slider set at 30 yards. I shoot center mass on all targets and hit the vitals from 0 to 40 yards. No guessing, just point and shoot. The arrow hits 2 inches high at 20 yards and 3 inches low at 40 yards, well within the vital zone. Like others have said, no clutter in the sight picture.

15-Dec-14
I'm a fan of the G5 Optix XR2. I have the top pin set at 25 and a floater that will adjust out to 80, not that I'd ever take a shot that far but it's fun to shoot at targets. It's kinda the best of both worlds.

15-Dec-14
I highly recommend the CBE Tech Hunter, I still have mine, but shoot nothing but stick bows now. Probably should sell it I guess.

15-Dec-14
I have a tommy hogg 3 pin slider on bow and a hogg father 7 pin on another. I tried the single pin but found myself thinking too much the pin when the moment came. Plus I llike the larger housing

15-Dec-14
"The arrow hits 2 inches high at 20 yards and 3 inches low at 40 yards, well within the vital zone. Like others have said, no clutter in the sight picture"

5 inches of arrow drop from 20 to 40 would be the fastest bow in the world......

15-Dec-14
I have a 3 pin Ascent. It works great for me. I have tried to switch to single pin sights a couple of times but I am not comfortable with them. I know people set them for a given distance and then leave them there and only move them for longer shots but my issue is I want mine to be set for the exact distance I am going to shoot so I find myself jacking with my sight way too much.

My opinion....If I am going to aim high/low since I have my pin set for a given yardage I might as well aim/high or low with multiple pins. I do like having the adjustment for long shots as I would never shoot at anything past 40 yards without ranging anyway.

T-Rex,

I loved the concept of the XR2. I had one and it was crap. Hopefully they are better now.

15-Dec-14
I just added a MBG Ascent 5 pin on my bow and took 3 pins off...plan to have a 20 and 40 so I can shoot quickly out to 40 but for 3D and when I have time to range hunting I will dial my pin to the known distance.

Shot a Martin round this weekend (10, 15 and 20 yards) and had my fixed pin on...that was the final straw for me going to a fixed/movable sight, very hard to aim on a FITA target by holding high or low, just doesn't work well. I also like the flexibility of being able to shoot long distance for fun shoots or if I get an arrow in something and they stop at 60-100 yards at least I have a chance of getting a second arrow in them if I can dial my sight in for it.

17-Dec-14
Genesis, "5 inches of arrow drop from 20 to 40 would be the fastest bow in the world......"

Not really, There are many bows much faster. Perhaps you should try it... you may be surprised at your findings. I did miss state my numbers as I was quoting from memory, so I looked it up again. My mistake. Shooting a 350 grain arrow out of a 70 lb bow at a speed of 328 fps, the ballistic chart says that if I zero in for 35 yards, not 30 as previously quoted, the arrow will hit 3.3 inches high at 20 yards and 4 inches low at 40. That was my loper arrow I was shooting 3 years ago.

If I Zero the same arrow in for 30 yards it will hit 2 inches high at 20 yards and 4.6 inches low at 40 yards. Either way, I am still well within the vitals. Sorry for not being as precise as I should have been.

Shooting my current setup, 62 lbs, 309 grain arrow, 312 fps, zero in at 30 yards, the arrow will hit 2.43 inches high at 20 yards and 6.5 inches low at 40 yards. Again, this is according to the chart. I have not tested this arrow setup. You have to keep in mind that each arrow setup will produce different results. For instance, if you change from vanes to feathers, the drag difference will change the results, especially at longer ranges. It is important to input the correct data and then go test it rather than take the calculations for face value.

17-Dec-14
Have the MBG 3 pin slider can't go wrong.

17-Dec-14
I also shoot a HHA single pin set at 28yds. Good to go from 0-40 yds with no guess work. For me,too much clutter and a chance of using the wrong pin in the heat of the moment.

18-Dec-14
Years ago went from 4 pins to 2 and it was a great improvement for me. Easy to hold over or under, much clearer sight picture. Went to a single pin slider and the world is a better place.....

Not a student of the "hold in the middle for 20 to forty" camp. Normally set at 30, I can pretty much tell what 20 is and hold a touch low, good without a range finder to 40 or so and know where to hold as well.

Much over that I like to take my time.... range and slide. Rushing things over 40-45 has not turned out well for me over the years. Just a few yards misjudged is a miss or worse. Taking my time has worked out fairly well though. If you have time to range you have time to slide.

See no reason to regress back to that cluttered up sight picture I was trying to get away from. Seems to defeat the whole purpose. A multi pin sight is still a multi pin sight. An extra pin or two on a single sure won't make any difference IMO. And the sight tape goes to 110, heheheheh....but actually only have clearance to 100, not that I've ever tossed an arrow at anything alive.... well, ok.... big game at those ranges.

18-Dec-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
The best of both worlds. Yours for the everyday low price of $549.99!

18-Dec-14
"Not really, There are many bows much faster. Perhaps you should try it.."

I've tried it alot of times,,,,every time a bow went up 10fps over the last 20 years I would redo a pin gap and arrow fall analysis.

The reason I knew your numbers were off was because I have check this out over the years and took physical measurements.I shoot strong helical vanes and vented broadheads but still suggesting one pin will cover 20 yards with center mass aimpoint on deer sized animals doesn't seem like good advice...

Your example were near IBO numbers on a ballistic chart,mileage will vary when adding hunting tip and vanes and actually measuring your fall.

Not trying to argumentative just informative.......I'm not even gonna factor in the increased string jump from a hunting rig shooting 328....

PM me if you would like the results of my some of my physical measurements.......sorry to hijack

18-Dec-14
I switched from a 7 pin to a 3 pin Boss Hogg. I will never change back. Leave my sight set at 20-30-40 and then dial any distances beyond that. Only downfall to the Boss Hogg I found is limited quiver selection if you want one that can be removed.

It does take some training to remember to move back, but never had any issues in hunting situations.

20-Dec-14

danevans's Link
Yes, this first model is very expensive! But, I have been working on this design for the last two years to fix just the issue you are talking about. In the elk woods I feel like about half the time I have plenty of time to adjust a single pin, the other half of the time.....I don't have time! Thanks, Dan

20-Dec-14
I use a HHA single pin slider. I keep my shots 30ish and under. Set it at 20 and good to go for any distance up to about 30 where I'm 4 inches low. Most deer I'm shooting at will drop a good bit before the arrow gets to them at 30 anyway. So I just aim and shoot at anything that I deem to be within my self imposed distance limit.

20-Dec-14
I have a MBG single pin ascent slider, I will be switching the housing out this offseason to a three pin.

20-Dec-14
Yep, Black Gold has some great options!

21-Dec-14
The BG sights are very nice. I have a Pure series single pin Ascent on one of my bows and the other will have the new Trophy Taker sight. Should be here shortly. I should have one very soon and will do a little review on it. It is pricey, but with the TT lifetime guarantee and outstanding customer service reputation, it could be the last sight that you need to buy. I much prefer a single pin sight and was going to wait for that version, but there are some advantages to a multi pin and I figured that this had the best of both in which you could go back and forth if you wanted depending on your situation. Also, I like that the housing does not move on the single pin, just the pin slides up and down which is another advantage. Even with all the features this sight has, it only weighs 8.8 ozs., much less than many of the other popular sliders.

21-Dec-14
Yep, Black Gold has some really great options! C

21-Dec-14
Big kev - why is it an advantage that the housing does not slide with the pin?? I use the housing to form concentric circles with my peep as an additional alignment tool to the target and the sight picture is always the same regardless of distance.

I don't think that I would like a stationary housing on a slider....

21-Dec-14
The TT seems to be well built, but I don't see it being practical in a hunting situation. I've had a sureloc slider sight on my bow since 2008, and I can tell you that they're system is way less complicated. It also looks as though it would be tough to get much range out of the new site due to the housing not moving. If that is the case I don't see the point of a slider. I just purchased a 5 pin MBG ascent, and it looks like I won't have any trouble getting it to drop low enough for a 120 yard shot. I practice out to very long range. It makes the closer shots a slam dunk. I don't mean to rain on any ones parade, but it seems too complicated to be effective in a hunting situation.

21-Dec-14
"...why is it an advantage that the housing does not slide with the pin?? I use the housing to form concentric circles with my peep as an additional alignment tool to the target and the sight picture is always the same regardless of distance."

You would still be using the housing for alignment, the advantage is you wouldn't have to change your anchor like you do when you move the housing.

21-Dec-14
Exactly. Once you set your peep height to your anchor and sight ring, you are set. Moving the sight ring changes your anchor and picture.

21-Dec-14
I am pretty thick headed and am trying to understand. Why would your anchor point move as the housing moves? My kisser button is always my anchor regardless of where i am aiming... I must be missing something.

I am ready to drop it but one more question. If the target is near, say 12 yards, isn't it possible that you couldn't see the entire animal if the pin is up tight to the housing?? It might be a bit problematic if you weren't exactly sure where you were aiming on the animal.

I honestly hope that you do well with the sight. Seems as though you have put a lot of thought and $$ into its development.

21-Dec-14
Not sure what you mean. The pin is in the center half and only way it would be near the bottom is on a very long shot, which then you would see the whole animal. If you mean near the top, then you can control how high you want it to max at by sighting it in and using the micro adjust. I should have one soon and will better be able to assess and play with it.

21-Dec-14
Yes, pin near the top of the housing. Seems to me if you adjust the pin to be in the center at close range, you would limit the longer distances as the pin reached the bottom of the housing.

As I mentioned earlier good luck! Hopefully I will get a chance to see one at a local pro shop or sports show (Harrisburg, pa) soon.

21-Dec-14
X2, c3

21-Dec-14
I got the 3 pin and took one out for a 2 pin. I have never sighted it in as a slider but when I do the bottom pin will be the slider pin.

23-Dec-14
I have a seven pin housing on a Tommy Hogg Slider. I sight off of the bottom pin if I need to move the housing. The pin is tight to the bottom of the housing. My eyesight is not what it used to be. On long shots it is difficult to sight with that lowest pin. For longer shots, a vertical pin would seem to work better for me as there is less of the animal obscured. I am just not comfortable only using one or two pins though.

23-Dec-14
I've been trying to wrap my head around this for days. I don't know why but I can't see the point of it being a slider, if you already have set pins at specific ranges. The point of a slider IMO is to get longer range. You can get the same ranges that this offers with a set multipin sight. I think that the sight itself looks bulletproof and I like the looks of it. I just think it is missing the boat on the housing not moving. If it did I would be the first in line to buy one.

26-Dec-14
Longshaft, here is my thinking on this; I like to be able to aim "dead on" with a pin at any distance. The mover pin on the OPTION sight allows me to do this. But when I don't have time to adjust the mover pin, I still have the fixed pins for reference for those shots. Say I have a bull feeding at 37 yards and I feel good about shooting in the situation, he has no idea I'm there and his head is behind a bush. I prefer to be able to adjust my pin to 37 and flip the fixed pins out of view. Another time, for me personally, is when I shoot in a 3-D tournament.....I like to shoot my hunting bow. I have shot in the fixed pins class, but prefer to hold dead on with a movable pin. Now I can do this with my hunting bow without putting a different sight on my bow. My big goal with this design is to be able to shoot my exact hunting setup in every instance, but feel like I am not giving up any precision. For me, this design accomplishes this better than any system I have seen. I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but all I can do is design something to work the best for me, and know there will be those with a similar outlook. Good Luck out there!

26-Dec-14
Personally I don't like systems that move the entire housing when you adjust the mover pin (or all pins), because then I have to re-zero before I am back on for another shot. With the OPTION, I always have a set of fixed pins that are "zero-ed", as soon as they are in view.

• Sitka Gear