bohunt47 17-Dec-14
bohunt47 17-Dec-14
Cheesehead Mike 18-Dec-14
happygolucky 18-Dec-14
Bake 18-Dec-14
drycreek 18-Dec-14
WV Mountaineer 18-Dec-14
15-Dec-14
I’m in the process of looking at land to purchase for hunting. If I were to put in an offer on land that had a small hunting cabin (no electricity run or water) and the land was listed by owner and not a realtor, what processes should I follow on my end? For instance, would I need an attorney to look over the contract? Are there any specific things related to land purchases I should be aware? This is my first rodeo in regard to looking for my own hunting land. I appreciate any and all advice.

15-Dec-14
Always involve an attorney when buying property. You don't want any surprises after the fact.

15-Dec-14
yes, definitely get an attorney. You need to do research and make sure the land has no leases, has no leans, doesn't owe taxes, doesn't have right of ways, doesn't have leases for gas/oil/coal companies, doesn't have a contract already for getting logged. Just a few things off the top of my head.

15-Dec-14
Title search to be sure there are no liens on the property.

15-Dec-14
Thanks everyone!

How does one research to be sure there are no leases, liens, taxes owed, etc?

15-Dec-14
Let Lawyer do it,.....he can answer most all your concerns you need to be spending your time into researching ag yields,crp contracts and possible programs that your land would qualify for......basically your income potential from said property.....treat this like any other investment and don't let the "hunting" pull you somewhere your pocketbook doesn't need to go

15-Dec-14
Get an attorney who specializes in real estate transactions, not just any one you find. Also get a title search done regardless, they are not expensive and can be very worthwhile...

15-Dec-14
Title search is a MUST!

15-Dec-14
I happen to be a realtor and a title agent.

Depending on your state you can either have a title agent or attorney review the title.

If you found it FSBO there is no need to involve a realtor(cringe at saying that... its how I pay the bills)

HOWEVER- Under no circumstances should you buy something WITHOUT TITLE INSRUANCE.

A title search shows you what is there. The insurance covers that and/or anything that is missed. Its the missed things that come up in the middle of the night and steal your property away or give you massive bills to pay.

GET TITLE INSURANCE.

If you have any specifics. Give me the location and I can get you your states requirements via attorney or title state. Its quite affordable and I for one would never buy anything without it.

15-Dec-14
Offer to purchase with all of the right contingencies in place including financing, timing of sale, prorations, boundaries, type of acceptable deed (should be warranty deed), AND of course title insurance, which is included with offer to purchase in terms of who will pay for it, GAP endorsement depending on time title insurance is prepared in relation to closing date, seller's disclosure statement, and get your financing in order with lender. -All of this is easily accomplished and for a nominal charge through an attorney in most instances. Good luck.

15-Dec-14
My elk hunting buddy is a real estate attorney...find yourself one and hire him. He'll know everything he has to do.

15-Dec-14
When you get the title policy, look for any exclusions. These are items that are excluded from the title company's insurance of the property.

No water or no developed water? There's an old saying in the west "whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting over". If you don't have decent water you don't have much.

Will the property perc for septic? If you have a high water table or lousy soil, it could limit or even prevent your ever being able to build on the site. Of course, if you are buying in one of this County's third-world states, the odds of any government entity stopping you from building may be low.

I'd try to hang out on the property some. There were some distressing posts recently about bowsiters with severe trespass and/or poaching problems. That won't show up on a title report or deed transfer, but it can sure impact your use and enjoyment of the property. Hunting season is over, so you won't be able to suss it out then, but a lot of times poachers strip a carcass and just leave it, so you can look for that.

What's next door? What's the zoning? If you're buying next to beautiful forested land that is zoned for forestry and logged next year, you not only lost your environment, but you gained all the noise while that's going on. Plus I'm not saying you have to be buddies with your neighbors, but if you are next to dope growers they will kill all the deer in the area. Meth cookers are another nightmare that aprouts up in rural areas.

Don't assume that the taxes will be equivalent to what they were pre-sale. Check on what affects the tax rate. Ag/ranching parcels are often/usually taxed at a fraction of recreational parcels. You may have to gin up some "agricultural' use to stay on the ag low-tax gravy train.

As you can see, it could be great, or it could really suck - do your due diligence. In commie Cali you can void a sale if the seller fails to disclose anything that they knew or should have known about that materially affects the value of the property. A lot of third-world states probably don't have that proviso.

15-Dec-14
I have purchased many farms. Most without realtors. Some with. Always had title insurance. On every occasion that it was needed, the insurance was worthless. It was always " An excluded exception". Not covered. I guess I would still purchase it but have found it worthless. Seller should pay for it in most cases. Better to just make sure what you are getting. I would look at fence and property line issues, easements, mineral rights, waste dumping and trespass issues.

15-Dec-14
Thanks again everyone.

Do I work out a purchase price with the seller and talk about inclusions/exclusions and then have the attorney type up a formal offer sheet? Is there such a thing. I have a real estate attorney to use but I am waiting to contact him until the seller and I would agree on the price and whatnot.

I am only looking at a 90 acre parcel. There is a small 24x30 cabin on the property and it has no running water and is run off a generator. There is electricity available right next to the cabin basically if I wanted it hooked up. Hunting cabins like this are common in MI and WI. I doubt I would ever put in a well as this property would be used for hunting only for my son and I. The camp I hunt at now in MI has a similar setup with no electricity or water and it works great.

15-Dec-14
Yes, there's a formal "Offer to Purchase" and it will be necessary for your financer to have in place. You can work out the meat and potatoes with the potential seller prior to having this document drafted as it will alleviate subsequent counter-offers having to be formalized and signed by the parties.

15-Dec-14
A real "seller" to a seller..........get an appraisal, or at the least a 'market analysis' done by someone, and present it to the seller. It should be done by someone who the seller would respect. Make it clear you're wishing to offer the "fair market value" of the property. RE: title insurance......in Iowa for instance, we still use abstracts and title opinions prepared by your attorney. Illinois and many others use title insurance. For disclosure purposes, I'm a real estate broker and land manager in Iowa.

15-Dec-14
There is likely a contract available online somewhere from the regulatory agency that oversees real estate transactions in the state the land is being purchased in. Your attorney should have access to it...

15-Dec-14
If you are to make an offer, sign an intent to buy with the seller if you come to an agreement. Have an attorney draft one up. It will include state law to cover your initial investment of hiring an attorney, while giving the attorney time to prepare a contract to close. There are somethings that need to be done and, while it wouldn't take him long if everything is straight forward, it always does. Lawyer's NEVER get in a hurry. I'm not sure what to tell you on the standard closing time it takes but, around here, the lawyers have cornered the market at "Closing on or before 90 days of the signing of this intent" for real estate.

He will know what to put in the intent to buy document, depending on where you live to cover you so, I'll leave that up to him and not advise you of my states laws, which might be different.

This will give the attorney time to do a title opinion. An attorney will do a title opinion to check for liens, title of ownership to be true and clean from all encumbrances, etc... What they won't do is guarantee the line calls. So, if it is a piece that is deeded for more than a few acres, I'd make an offer for it but, in the contract the lawyer draws up, tell him you want to be protected if the land survey shows discrepancy. Meaning, if the guy says 25 acres and it comes up to be 21 etc...

In a lot of situations, land these days have to have a recorded survey in order to get a note to purchase it. And, it is just smart business to have a title opinion as well. Also, it has become the norm for the bank to see the completed title exam before releasing the money. Not always but, it is becoming a requirement for average Joe's.

If I didn't know how to run the lines myself, there is zero chance I'd buy it if they weren't already marked in some capacity and had an official, recorded survey in the court house.

Follow these guidelines. You'll get what you pay for with no surprises. God Bless

15-Dec-14
I have both purchased and sold property in WI w/o getting an attorney involved until after the "Offer to Purchase" which includes the price and the contingencies was signed. Only do this if you are comfortable that you can think of all of the appropriate contingencies. You can get an attorney to help with the "Offer to Purchase" which is probably a good idea but I would limit their involvement to making sure that all of the contingencies have been identified. After the offer has been accepted you can then pay them to help make sure that everything in the offer including the contingencies have been satisfied and the title is clear.

15-Dec-14
This may or may not be an issue but water rights, mineral rights, and since you are in Wisconsin (logging rights) in addition to everything else stated above.

Easements, check for them and who has them.

Might even check to see if the state has any say on access to the property if it has a stream or river on it.

Best of luck and happy holidays!

15-Dec-14
Awesome information everyone. It seems a tad daunting to me. I will contact the attorney when I have a verbal agreement with the seller.

How much does a survey typically cost and if there is not one, is that my responsibility for peace of mind?

15-Dec-14
Surveys aren't cheap. But, they aren't necessarily expensive either. It depends on acreage, description in the deed, terrain, etc.... The responsibility is negotiated. Often the cost is paid by the buyer, split, or paid by the seller. My feeling is it is the seller's responsibility. They aren't likely to see it that way, then some do.

I would simply ask the owner for it. If they are unsure, take a ride to the assessor's office, get one of the clerks to help you look to see if one exists. If one does, it will come with the title search but, I would hate to wait three to four weeks on the title opinion to find that out. Finding an establishing where property lines are easy to do for people who do it. But, only a survey conducted by a licensed surveyor maters in court.

A survey simply establishes on the ground what the deed calls describe. Therefore, the deed trump's all. It is the defining instrument, as long as it has calls with bearings, actual distances, etc... If it doesn't that is where the survey will be used to establish those boundary's left not defined by the deed. Most areas have good deed calls now. So, if no survey exists, and the calls are descriptive, making it a straight forward process, it should be inexpensive. However, it should be paid by the seller. So, if you will take a few minutes to find out whether one exists before you make an offer, you can ensure that is the case what ever they think.

It sounds daunting but, the attorney will handle most all of it if you tell him too. Let them earn their money when the time comes to do so But, few minutes and a trip to the court house will prepare you to tell the attorney what you need them to do. And they will know what is needed on the letter of intent, plus the contract. Plus, how long to depend upon for the actual closing to occur, depending on the needs of this deal. It really is a simple ordeal if you approach it correctly. God Bless

15-Dec-14
I've never purchased hunting land in particular, but I have had to use title insurance 3 times and had similar results as R.Hale initially. My experience required suing the title company in all 3 cases to get them to preform on the policies. I wouldn't purchase property without it, but I would plan on suing them if you ever need it, which makes sense because if you need to use it, there will be a major problem; it's not like regular car insurance getting a rock chip repaired.

16-Dec-14
Make sure your attorney runs title on the surface and mineral estate. It's not uncommon for the surface owner not to own any mineral rights. I'm in the oil and gas business and run into this A LOT. In most states, the mineral estate is the dominate estate. This means the mineral owners has the right to the "reasonable" use of the surface to extract his minerals. "Reasonable use of the surface" is a broad term and, if ever a dispute arises, then whether the use was reasonable or not is often determined in court. If the seller owns both the surface and mineral rights, then have your attorney draft a deed that states the seller is conveying EVERYTHING he owns or may ever own in, to and under the premises being conveyed. Hopefully, the seller owns the minerals and you will then have full control of the property.

16-Dec-14
A standard title opinion details everything certain individuals have noted you need to pay special attention to. Including mineral ownership, easement, etc... So, don't get confused by all the advice. A lawyers butt is on the line when they do them, so no need for title insurance. It simply is a way to purchase without a title opinion. and that just makes zero sense. A true waste of money.

While Randy has a point, You will have to pay for the attorney to draft it before knowing if a price can be agreed upon. And here me on this, There are few people who get kick backs, finders fee's, "a little extra for the heads up", like attorneys. I know because I get them from multiple attorneys when people approach them wanting advice on selling land, timber, etc... So the best way I know of protecting yourself, is not to ask one to do an intent to buy document until you have agreed upon terms with the owner. It DOES keep them honest.

The choice is yours and depends on how well you know the attorney. God Bless

16-Dec-14
WV, purchasing without title insurance may be an option with a cash purchase, but if financing is required title insurance will almost assuredly be required.

17-Dec-14
Sometimes buying hunting property can be a nightmare. If the neighbors have been hunting the property for years it will be hard to keep them off your land unless you live there. If you are not local don't look for law enforcement for help, they protect their own against outsiders and especially their family that in some cases are the poachers. Bringing charges against poachers will get you cabin burned to the ground. Try to get some accurate history on the land before you decide to buy it.

17-Dec-14
I'm a licensed Land Surveyor in Wisconsin and Minnesota and I have to weigh in on something WV Mountaineer wrote:

"A survey simply establishes on the ground what the deed calls describe. Therefore, the deed trump's all. It is the defining instrument..."

That is not necessarily true. If that was the case, anybody with some measuring tools could go out and lay out the deed on the ground and establish boundaries.

A surveyor's job is to retrace the boundaries that have already been established and that requires knowledge of measurement, rules of evidence, principals of law and the ability to analyze the evidence and reach a conclusion on the location of the boundary. That specialized knowledge and experience is why we are licensed.

Any surveryor who merely stakes out a deed and ignores existing boundary evidence is not doing his job and is looking for serious trouble.

The deed does not trump all; it merely gets you to the location but the evidence and facts on the ground are what determine where the boundary is.

Granted, if there is no evidence of a pre-existing boundary then it's a relatively straight forward process to survey and stake out the deed.

If it goes to court and there is a discrepancy between the deed and the actual boundary evidence, the evidence will almost always prevail.

17-Dec-14
The survey is what all legal proceedings follow.

17-Dec-14
Verbal agreement? Not binding. At least not in Nebraska for real estate. If you and the owner are in serious discussions on you purchasing this property, you need to work up a purchase agreement stipulating who's paying for what, including the survey. Most title company's can help you with this, and they usually have purchase packets with all the information you need including the purchase agreement.

Good luck...

17-Dec-14
Mike, if you re-read my posts, you'll see that we agree and are saying the same thing on the survey. The Supreme Court of the United States of America disagrees with you on evidence versus deed calls. A DEED is the defining instrument. I can put a stake in the ground and call it a corner because it is evidence. However, if the deed calls don't match, it isn't the corner. A survey simply establishes on the ground where that evidence is.

To the OP, I do this for a living. Don't get confused by accounts of personal experience. All great advice and helpful. However, follow the professional experience. And the debate about survey versus deed is irrelevant. I should have never mentioned it for reasons that happened. I forgot I was on the internet. I was just trying to give you the fast track on law, not opinion, so you would understand why I was giving you the advice I did. God Bless

17-Dec-14
Survey costs can vary significantly. If the property was previously surveyed and recorded, and monuments exist for at least some of the corners, it can be cheap. If the description dates back to Davy Crockett with a description in rods and chains and no monumentation, chances are the surveyor is going to have to do some work to(re)establish corners, etc. That can cost you thousands. You may be able to find at the recorders office (or even online if the county has joined the 21st century) records of nearby surveys that provide the all-important basis of bearing. If there's one nearby, getting to your property corner and taking metes & bounds from there is a lot easier/cheaper than if a surveyor has to get the basis of bearing from some distance away.

If you have a metes & bounds boundary description that closes, many architects and any surveyor can run it through a program that will establish the enclosed acreage.

Ok with no water? Guess you aren't planning to irrigate any food plots either.

17-Dec-14
Don't forget mineral rightd.

17-Dec-14
rights. Sorry

18-Dec-14
WV Mountaineer,

I'm sure there are cases where the deed has prevailed over field evidence but the evidence from each case will differ and of course all evidence is not created equal. I also know of numerous court cases where evidence on the ground trumped the deed?

You wrote:

"I can put a stake in the ground and call it a corner because it is evidence. However, if the deed calls don't match, it isn't the corner."

That may be true if you put the stake in the ground, however if the property was conveyed and surveyed years ago, say 1900 and the surveyor used his compass and chain (which was the proper method of the day) to lay out the boundaries and then set monuments at the boundary corners and then the new owners built improvements and established occupation in good faith based on those surveyed and monumented boundaries, those landowners have acquired bona fide property rights.

Now fast forward to 2014 and along comes Joe Surveyor with his GPS and his client's deed. He ignores the evidence on the ground and surveys and stakes out the description of the property and discovers that the corners and lines that he just staked out based on taking the math from the deed and placing it on the ground with his $30,000 high-tech sub-centimeter accuracy GPS do not match the property corner monuments that were set in 1900 or the fences and rock walls built on the property lines that have been in place for 114 years.

Joe Surveyor tells his client who then hires Justin Lawyer and off they run to court. Guess what...? The evidence on the ground is going to prevail and hopefully the lawyer understands that before he leads his client down the wrong path... And by the way, the surveyor could be found negligent for ignoring evidence...

There are just too many variables to make a blanket statement one way or another.

The DEED may be the defining instrument regarding the conveyance but it is just one piece of evidence in retracing a boundary and may not be the defining evidence regarding where the actual boundaries are on the ground (the lines defining the limits of established property rights).

It's misleading to imply (but then again this is the internet) that the Supreme Court has made a ruling that discredits all evidence in every possible situation in favor of the deed calls. Maybe they made that ruling in a specific case based on the specific facts and evidence of that case but any ruling would have to be examined in the proper context to see how it relates to the situation at hand. The Supreme Court certainly hasn't made a blanket ruling that states that the deed always prevails over all other evidence everytime! If they did, I would appreciate it if you would provide me with the name of the Supreme Court Case for my own educational purposes. I also do this for a living and have now for 37 years (I'm a County Surveyor)...

williamtell,

I agree with most of what you wrote except the part about the "basis of bearing". The Basis of Bearing of a survey is fairly arbitrary and refers basically to what the surveyor considered to be north for his survey (magnetic, true, grid, assumed) and has no impact on the accuracy or level of difficulty of the survey. It's a simple matter for a surveyor to rotate or convert the bearing system of his survey to match any previous basis of bearings. I think what you may be referring to is the Point of Beginning, which in Rectangular Survey States (Townships, Ranges and Sections) like Wisconsin the P.O.B. would most likely be a Section Corner and multiple corners of the section will be needed in order to properly subdivide the section and determine the boundaries of the aliquot parts. Yes, old descriptions can be a problem but converting from rods and chains to feet is simple.

I realize that the OP probably didn't want a lesson in surveying and I apologize but you guys are in my wheelhouse here...

18-Dec-14
This OP is appreciating everything on this thread including the lesson in surveying. I am here for the edification on the topic because this is all daunting to me. I am living in the original and only house I have purchased and I have never purchased hunting land. Lots to learn. I am getting all my ducks in a row.

Thanks again everyone. I greatly appreciate you all taking the time to knowledge share with me.

18-Dec-14

18-Dec-14
One of my best friends is a Public Registered Surveyor and I myself have had lots of dealings with survey crews ( I am and have been for several years a Consultant supervising staking drill sites in the oilfield ). I agree wholeheartedly with Cheesehead Mike.

A couple things above. Somebody mentioned to be sure and aquire the mineral rights. If there is any oil or gas production around , this might be impossible. It is most places in Texas.

And even though the surveyors of today have much better equipment and ( we hope ) knowledge than those of 1900 , there are professional surveyors and there are guys that play at surveying for a couple years and move on. Lots of difference in knowledge levels even within the same company. I have witnessed this over and over. A big name company does NOT guarantee the best either. I've seen some genuine idiots from companies that have multiple offices all over and some very talented guys that work for a single office outfit with two or three crews.

Best of luck to you, ain't nothing like owning your own ground !

18-Dec-14
Mike, I'll ask our in house attorney and get the case/Case's, and get back to you after Christmas. God Bless

• Sitka Gear