sticksender 17-Dec-14
willliamtell 17-Dec-14
Paul@thefort 17-Dec-14
bigdog21 17-Dec-14
Raptor 20-Dec-14
Linecutter 21-Dec-14
pickaspot 29-Dec-14
16-Dec-14
I think I mentioned this to you before but the Sitka Fanatic gear will grab those burs and hold onto them like it's their job. If anyone disagrees you are welcome to stop by my house for 45 minutes of bur pulling anytime so that I might change your mind. Ha!

The only thing I have had success with on those burs is my 90% pants and my jetstream jacket. They might catch a few burs but they brush off easily. I think anything with that "slick" type of synthetic shell works okay against them. Any fleece, wool, or fuzzy type material though and those things will make for a long day.

16-Dec-14
Why would you want a bur-less garment? What could be more fun while in stand than picking burs while waiting for that buck of a lifetime? I've spent countless hours picking burs from by berber and legacy fleece.

16-Dec-14
Brotsky is correct! It seems the stuff has a magnet that sucks the burrs deep in! Ascent and ESW pants are pretty good!

16-Dec-14
Scoot, what brand are your wools? I have used the "Furminator" a shedding tool for my dog to get burrs out of wool and fleece (not the berber).

16-Dec-14
We call them "preacher's lice" plus a few other things I can't post on here as well. Throw in some burdock & you really have a mess!

Coccon Man X2.

16-Dec-14
Scoot...One of my stand areas is full of that stuff. What I do is put my oil can/leather bird hunting chaps over my warm weather gear for the walk in. At least that way, the only place I have burrs is the uncovered areas.

I've tried quite a few different options and this one seems to work best.

16-Dec-14
Just FYI,

The plant's official - common - name is Hound's Tongue. It's also called Gypsy Flower. it's on Idaho's official noxious weed list and I imagine most other state's where it occurs.

I spray thousands of plants every summer when I work for the forest service but you can't get ahead or the stuff. it's here until they find a biological that will kill it.

DDD

16-Dec-14
Preachers lice and cockle-burs are the nemesis of bow-hunters everywhere! The more you beat them down and try to remove them the more they re-seed! Just got to be careful where you walk is about all you can do.

16-Dec-14

Dave B 's MOBILE embedded Photo
Dave B 's MOBILE embedded Photo

My grey wolf wolf skin is about as burr free as it gets.

16-Dec-14
Around here we call em beggars lice. I can tell you one thing. My First Lite wool camo loves that stuff. Kenatrex gaiters help keep em off your pants but then you have to get them off yer gaiters. Ha! I can think of worse problems to have.

16-Dec-14
my kuiu stuff picks up burrs terrible as well.

16-Dec-14
I learned about this devil plant while on my first WT hunt in NE this year. I had to suppress dreams of pyromania after one particularly long pluck session.

There's another plant there with a sticker that looks like a small sea urchin. Those were likewise my nemesis. They were even stuck to the poor deer on their backs and tails.

16-Dec-14
If you rode your bad boy buggy right up to the front door of your box blind on the edge of your food plot like you're supposed to you wouldn't have to worry about burs:)

16-Dec-14
Idyll, the stuff you are seeing stuck to their fur are burdocks. It's also interesting that you mention this. For some reason it seems the deer in my area have burdocks in their fur way worse than I have ever noticed before. Maybe it was a good growing season for them.

There's one sure truth in hunting in the northern plains in the late fall: If the plant is still standing upright at this time of year you can bet it has some type of bur on it waiting to ensnare you.

16-Dec-14
I was just playing Scoot. I used to give my buddy pure hell about all the crap he would have stuck to his pants. Now I am in the same boat. I do have a pair of 4 Core Element pants that I love and they don't collect near the crap. Wool and fleece seem to attract more of it.

17-Dec-14
I throw all my outer wear, usually fleece or wool in a pack. I carry it to the tree and get dressed at the base of the tree. Sometimes I climb up and dress in the stand.

17-Dec-14
Beggar Lice.....Nature's Velcro

17-Dec-14
Idyll, you should see what happens to horses when they get into a patch of those cockle burrs. Mane and tail one solid clot.

17-Dec-14
While Cabelas Microtex picks up burrs as well as any other fabric, they brush off with minimal effort. Worn as part of a layering system it works fine for me in late season.

Tightly woven cotton denim is about the most burr-repellent fabric you'll find, that's not noisy. If you're really determined, buy some over-sized camo denim pants to use as an outer layer. Columbia Sportswear does camo pants in denim.

17-Dec-14
In my experience, Cabelas non-fleece does ok, particularly if you concentrate on low-nap, tight weave fabrics. I wear warm-weather low gaiters all summer/fall to keep them out of my wool socks and (mostly) off my laces. Had to throw out a brand new pair of fleece goretex gaiters once because there were so many that wouldn't come out.

17-Dec-14
I mostly hunt in Nebraska, Kansas and eastern Colorado for deer where there are cock burrs, sand burrs and some of what you encounter.

I purchased a pair of bibs using Bucksuede for those occasions where the burrs are thick. The burrs do not stick or if they do some, I just brush them off easily.

I also like wool and fleece but using the Bucksuede, as an over garment or by itself, will surley help.

17-Dec-14
Carharts work good

20-Dec-14
I have some ASAT from Day One Camo that has Bucksuede Fabic. Gary has many options. It can be ordered uninsulated, Insulated and windproofed, scent- Loc lined, etc. It is a little more noisey when first purchased but softens with a few washings. Like day & night compared to fleece or wool when it comes to burrs. Small operation, however, need to order early. Regards.

21-Dec-14
Actually that is the stuff where they got the idea for Velcro. About the only thing they won't cling to is a rubberized rain suit. Every thing else I have tried they have stuck to, to some degree. DANNY

29-Dec-14
I bought one of these. Best purchase in years

http://burrpaw.com/

• Sitka Gear