patradhunter 27-Dec-14
BIG BEAR 05-Jan-15
AlphaMale 06-Jan-15
nutritionist 06-Jan-15
ollie 06-Jan-15
BIG BEAR 06-Jan-15
BIG BEAR 06-Jan-15
16-Dec-14
I'm looking for a reliable soil testing laboratory. I've tried my State's Extension Service but I would like to try someone new. I'd like to hear from anyone that has a suggestion on who they have used with reliable results. I'm actually thinking of doing a soil test sample this month as I can still get in the ground. If anyone thinks this would be a bad idea, I'd really like to hear from you.

16-Dec-14
I'm in PA I send my samples to Penn State. The ag department. I'm guessing UM has the same deal

16-Dec-14
There are tons of private and university labs out there. I have sent quite a few to Midwest Labs in Nebraska, but there are plenty of choices.

Out of curiosity, why would you prefer to try a new lab?

16-Dec-14
Testing for nutrients in soil is not tricky or rocket science. State extension labs perform thousands of these tests each year and are quite competent. What makes you think the testing results you receive are not reliable?

16-Dec-14
I send mine to Whitetail Institute. Not sure it's better than anyone else, but for ten bucks they furnish the box for the dirt, the envelope to mail it in, ask what you are planning to plant there, and I get results and recommendations via email. Pretty hassle free.

16-Dec-14
PM sent.

19-Dec-14
http://www.rockriverlab.com/

they are more than a lab...they are innovators and if one looks at their background, you will see how they are a part of research and education.

27-Dec-14
Any university that has an agriculture department should be able to do a soil test.

05-Jan-15
Do Ph meters work ?? I see them for sale online for 20-30 bucks.....

Or should I stick with sending soil samples ?? If so,,, should I invest in a soil probe ???

Sorry for any dumb questions. I have never had a food plot before,,, But I want to try out 2 very small food plots on my 20 acres in the U.P. of Michigan.

Thank you.

06-Jan-15
I saw on antler kings website they have a soil test kit you can use yourself. I haven't used one yet but I'm planning on it.

06-Jan-15
why take a chance with a cheap tester...the one mentioned on here isn't accurate. pH is only a part of your agronomy equation. Having a pH level will tell you what lime you may need and what seed that can be planted that tolerates that range but what about the soil organic matter? How about what fertilizers are needed?

It is a lot like when i balance rations. Sure i want the animal to have a pH range of 6.0-7.0 and i can use a litmus strip to swap behind what the animal leaves behind and thats a start, but it is just a start.

Why not spend $10 on a soil test and get a landscape verses a snapshot?

06-Jan-15
A pH tester is helpful in providing a quick answer regarding your soil pH. It does not, however, tell you how much lime to add to raise your pH to a given target level as a soil test report would do.

06-Jan-15
I am going to get a soil test done........But I expect to have to add lime;; The instructions on the seed I bought says that if you don't have a soil test done,,,,Then add 500 pounds of lime per quarter acre...... So I'm figuring even after getting a soil test done I'll probably need that much.....

So I'm lining up a few places to get a thousand pounds of lime in the spring.

06-Jan-15
I guess part of my problem is my property is a 5 hour drive from my home.......and I only make a select few trips up there over the summertime;; So I'm trying to pack as much into each trip as possible..... I have a neighbor next to my land that I can hire for some of the work on my foodplots....

• Sitka Gear