Genesis 17-Dec-14
MATHEWSSHOOTER 17-Dec-14
Paul@thefort 17-Dec-14
Hollywood 17-Dec-14
cityhunter 18-Dec-14
jdee 18-Dec-14
16-Dec-14
Hunt is near Nogales...

Anyone care to share their experience, pictures, advice, what to expect?

Looks like historically January temps range from upper 20's to low 50's.

Thanks!

16-Dec-14
cant help have fun be safe

16-Dec-14
Good luck and post pictures and story.

16-Dec-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Bob, I have hunted within bow range of Nogales USA six times on DIY Public land hunts and will be heading that way on January 2. I have killed 3 coues bucks in the USA Arizona. Two of the bucks were killed mid month, and then the one, on Jan 24.

Two years ago, I was successful on Jan 24 in that area and then traveled 150 miles south of Nogales Mexico the following week and was successful on a private range.

If you check Bowsite last Feb or March 2014, I posted a story that included both hunts. I believe the title of the thread was, Coues, North and South.

Yea, the temp are about right for that area. THe last time I was down there, for three day the temps were, low 9 degrees and high of 39 drgrees for four days. Then it want up to mid to high 70s. Farther east of Douglas AZ, at 5500 ft. I have been snowed out twice.

My largest buck from AZ.

A great time to be out chasing WTs.

Paul

16-Dec-14

You bet it can snow in southern AZ in January at 5500 ft.

16-Dec-14

Going to and returning was not problem as long as we followed the rules. We had no firearms!

Customs ( went through Nogalas) checked our gear and wanted to know where we were going. We had the private ranch documentation and hunting permits to show our final destination. Took 10 minutes.

Bring back deer meat is ok. If you transport any hide, cape, skull it has to be properly prepaired.

The hide and or cape needs to be frozen 24 horns prior to crossing through custions and the final stop will then be with the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The hide or cape then needs to be partly thawed as they will inspect, run a fine comb through the hide/hair for desease bearing "critters".

The skull needs to be totally void of any meat, etc. Just like you might make a Euro skull mount. I did this to both of our deer the evening we left the ranch and we frozed the hide in a small portable freezer. USFW Service, 15 minutes.

If this is a guided hunt. I am sure the guide should know of this.

Mexico Coues buck.

Have Fun.

16-Dec-14
My experience is that the rut, chasing phase, in mid to late January.

Correction. My story of the two bucks was posted Feb or March 2013.

16-Dec-14
In addition, you will need your driver's license and updated US Passport to enter Mexico.

The no firearm is critical and if you are driving over, make sure not even a shotgun shell or rifle/hand gun bullet is on board.

If you have any questions, I PMed you my home phone #

Paul

16-Dec-14
Paul...just curious would a salted and dried cape be acceptable?

16-Dec-14
Shug, NO! USFandW Service-- Regulations state,-- frozen 24 hrs prior to crossing the border. At the border, the semi frozen hide/cape needs to be opened up for combing and detecting any critters.

Hope this helps. Paul

17-Dec-14
Thanks...I'm not going anytime soon but I wondered if it was option.

17-Dec-14
Good luck Bob!

17-Dec-14
Used to let you "Dip" the hides, not sure anymore been a while. Frozen works best.

17-Dec-14
I learned the hard way and had to leave a cape at the border due to no "treatment" for my cape.

My dad and brother were both entomologists so that stung....

17-Dec-14

MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
I was there last january Paul is right capes have to be froze no meat on the skulls and no meat over the border. If you are driving the border U.S side made us wash our truck before we could come over no dust, mud or weeds includes the engine

17-Dec-14
WE had no problem bring back the deer meat but it was frozen as we crossed and then inspected by the FWS.

Yea, I forgot about the truck wash.

Also, one needs Mexician Auto Insurance that can be purchased at the border towns.

You will need Mexican money for many items including gas. There are exchange office in some towns.

17-Dec-14

Hollywood's Link
Frozen capes and a declaration letter on company letterhead from your Mexican Outfitter that capes have been frozen for 24 hours was required.

Not sure what it is now.

Be careful in the Santa Ana Region. I lost a friend there. See link

18-Dec-14
Don so sorry for this senseless killing ! My prayers to all that have known Ronald . I have friends going down this Jan . Keep us posted on the outcome . Thanks louis

18-Dec-14
Hollywood that is a damn shame your friend lost his life over a truck. Wasn't there a long thread earlier this year with a lot of guys arguing about how safe it was in Mexico ?

• Sitka Gear