Limb Bender 18-Dec-14
Two Feathers 18-Dec-14
Limb Bender 18-Dec-14
tonto59 18-Dec-14
Jack Harris 18-Dec-14
Limb Bender 19-Dec-14
Two Feathers 21-Dec-14
18-Dec-14
I'm wanting to buy a recurve and shoot some arrows. I have limited funds. Been a while since I shot trad. I would like to buy a bow I can learn with and be able to hunt with next year. I have looked into the Samick sage. 50# . Since my drAw length is currently 27" on my compound it looks like it will be 26" for a recurve? So that will put me at about 47# on a 50# bow? Is this too much weight? Do I need a 45# bow? And if I do is this enough to kill deer after draw length deductions? Should be around 43-44# . Also, what length and weight arrows will I need to hunt with? Will I need a glove? Thanks

18-Dec-14
Both weights will kill deer. I haven't heard any complaints with Samick. Another good way to shop is go to a Trad shoot that has venders. Then you can pull and shoot some bows and have a good idea of what you can handle and what you like in length and riser grip, Used bows and Samick are good when you have limited funds,

18-Dec-14
Thanks two feathers. I know samick is not a high quality rig but for just starting out from what I hear it should be ok. We don't have a large trad following in these parts or even an archery following for that matter. But I will seek those I can find. So if I get a 50# bow and it pulls 45 at my draw and a good weighted and spined arrow I should be fine to hunt deer with right? Will I be comfortBle shooting that weight? My current compound is at 72# and I can easily pull 75#. I know it's apples vs oranges but just wanting yall to get a reference point.

18-Dec-14
Traditional Archery supply oldbow.com sells the Samick sage for $129.00 I bought one for my son. I was very impressed with the why it handled and shot.

18-Dec-14
being a perennial 64# Matthews z7 shooter, at 28" draw, I picked up a 28" used custom recurve this past winter, draw weight 46#. I got lots of good advice from several on this site, so will you. Many thought 46# was too much for me to learn on and develop good form. I think it was close, I would not want to have pulled any more weight than that. When I shot a lot, I got pretty good and confident at 15 yards, nearly proficient at 20. When I took a much better job mid-summer with a more difficult commute and work hours, my practice fell off to just the weekends. I was no longer proficient enough to ethically shoot at game. My first shot was unpredictable, I just didn't develop enough of that instinctive shooter in me, so I thought it best to not hunt with it. Fortunately the z7 really delivered and had one of my best seasons ever.

19-Dec-14
Good to know. I'm a school teacher so summer time is my vacation! I can shoot everyday.

21-Dec-14

Two Feathers's Link
Limb Bender - Correct, your 50# bow should be drawing around 45# @ 26". I don't see a problem with you pulling that weight if your pulling 70-75# with your wheel bow.

You may not know about the traditional guys in your state but they are out there. I used to live in Virginia. Check out the link. Not sure if they have vendors at all their shoots but I would guess they have vendors at some of their shoots.

Let us know how this conversion goes. Stickbows are fun.

• Sitka Gear